? about EVCs and Wheelchairs at WDW

Pammy_from_WI

<font color=teal>Remember what Ohana means, Pammy?
Hi Everyone,

Couple of ?s about these things. My mom is travelling with us this trip and we are looking into renting an evc for her.

First off she doesn't appear to be ill and he biggest worry is people saying stuff to her. Has anyone had problems with this? She is really looks healthy, but she is not. Last trip she wouldn't rent one due to this fact and it was terrible for her.

Second how early do the evcs run out? We will be there Dec 4-18 and am hoping to be in the parks by 10ish every morning. We will do a wheelchair if we need to but would prefer one of these, she'd feel too guilty about having on of us push her around.

Third how easy are they to work? She is nervous about this, doesn't want to run people over. Can you tell she has some issues? LOL Do they have baskets for her water and purse?

Forth how does lines and the parade places work? I assume we just show up to the viewing areas early enough, is that going to be hard with a evc? Like will she have to work her way through a maze of ropes and people? For lines does she go in one side and then we do the que and they then let her in with our group or does she drive the evc through the que? She can walk, but it's hard for her, would we just park the evc and all do the que or could she stand someplace and meet us just before boarding? Guess I just don't know what you do for rides? Been there so often, but never really paid much attention to people in wheelchairs or evcs to notice the boarding process for them.

Lastly her doctor told her we should fill something out for WDW, some sort of disability form, but we have no clue as to what she is referring to. She said it would allow her to enter special que areas to wait for us to catch up or something like that. So they know she can't stand and walk for long periods of time. What is this? Where do I get it? Or have they changed the boarding process so you don't need those anymore.

Thanks much,
Pam

If you want to be sure to have an EVC, I'd recommend renting from an offsite company. We use Walker Mobility, but there's several out there. Walker drops the EVC off at your resort so it's there when you arrive and they pick it up after you depart. It costs the same as renting in the parks and you'll have it for shopping at DTD or whatever.

The ones we rent are not difficult to drive at all. My spouse had never used one before and had no trouble.

When viewing a parade, Illuminations, etc., be sure to get to your spot early because the areas do fill up. How many people in your party? We were able to all be together for viewing. I wouldn't like it if we were separated because the person in the scooter would be all alone for half the trip. The same goes for rides. There are a few (in MK) that you go through a separate entrance than the regular line because the rides were there before ADA, but for most rides the scooter enters the same line as everyone else. There may be a point in the line where a scooter can't go and a CM will direct you to the "detour". Your family goes with the person in the scooter (assuming that you don't have a huge group. I think the number is 5, but not positive).

I understand about your mom worrying about what people think because my spouse felt the same way, but I said "You simply can't physically do it without one!" so we rented.

Make sure you utilize Fastpass as much as possible.

The pass you're referring to isn't really necessary if your in a w/c. It's more for people who have "invisible" disabilities to let the CM know you need special assistance. With a w/c, they already know it (at least this is what a CM told me).

Have a great time!

Will your mother know anybody she meets at random at WDW -- probably NO! Should she care what random people she meets at WDW think about her -- definitely NO!

Does she, and the people she is with, know her needs and problems -- Probably YES! Will her having an ECV make the trip better for EVERYONE in your group -- Definitely YES!

I have almost never had anyone comment to me about my use of an ECV. If they have, I have sweetly offered to allow them the use of my ECV if they would also take ALL of my physical problems; I have never had anyone take me up on the offer.

Also, I would strongly suggest you read the "disABILITIES FAQ" which will answer many of your questions.

Mike

Originally posted by Cheshire Figment

I have almost never had anyone comment to me about my use of an ECV. If they have, I have sweetly offered to allow them the use of my ECV if they would also take ALL of my physical problems; I have never had anyone take me up on the offer.

::yes::

I certainly know how your mom is feeling. I have a bad back with bad leg pain and numbness; I cannot walk very far without pain. I have reserved an ECV from an offsite company for our trip in two weeks and I worry about people making comments about me (young and looks healthy) using an ECV. I love Cheshire Figment's response and plan on using it if someone says something about me using the ECV on our trip! Thanks!!!!

You already got a lot of good advice, so there isn't much for me to add.
Just some confirmation of what others had to say (and were not sure of).
GACs (Guest Assistance Cards) are a tool to let CMs know what sorts of assistance someone with invisible disabilities might need. So, most people with a wheelchair or ecv don't need a GAC unless they also have some disabilities/needs that are not readily apparent.
Usually the accessible entrance can be used by the person with a disability plus up to 5 members of their party (you were right LovePug). There are times when you may be asked to split into smaller parties - this is usually because the waiting area is too small, there are already a lot of people with disabilties waiting or, for shows, there is limited space for people to accompany wheelchairs.
For parades and Illuminations, if you are going during a non-busy time, they will probably let your whole party into the area. But, when it has been busy, we have been asked to limit it to our DD in a wheelchair plus one other person so that they have more room for placing wheelchairs.

As for comments, you already got the best advice. You know the needs, the people making comments don't. My FIL resisted renting an ecv for years, despite being in pain each day from walking (and lmiiting himself to going only to the close to the entrance parts of the parks). On our last trip to WDDW, on our last day, he finally rented an ecv. He said it was the first day in years that he didn't end up in extreme pain at the end of the day and he got to see things he had not seen in years. He said he felt very silly for not having used one before and he's already made plans to rent from off-site for our trip next spring.

On our last trip, I had hurt my back just before we left. I looked fine but had trouble with long distance walking. I was a little worried about comments that might be made, but my Dr. said "Get a scooter or don't go!" SO I rented from Walker mobility. It was suggested from this board that I go to Walmart and practice. I did and found it easy! The one at Walmart was much more difficult than the one from Walker Mobility. The one's from Walker have 3 wheels and go faster. The first try at loading on the bus was a little difficult, but the driver helped and ended up lifting the front end into place. I got the hang of loading the bus by day 2. We had a wonderful, pain-free trip!:wave:

Another happy Walker customer.
Their 3 wheel scooter woked just great for my father.
Easy to use and plenty of power to go all day.
They drop it off and pick it up which made it so easy.
Will use them again in the future.

Just back on Sunday from using the ECV for 7 days and I found it hard to manuveur with large crowds because I was lower and people would not see me and would just step out right in front of me without blinking an eye. Be prepared for that!

Also, my ECV did not last through a day at Epcot. It would last through all of the other parks but not Epcot; my son had to push it through the exit because it was running out of power one day! It also does not work if it rains, so keep an eye out for any rain and keep it out of the rain!

Good luck and have a safe trip! Hope the crowds lessen up for you; I am sure they will since the holiday is over!!!! :moped:

The only problems I have had using a scooter are crowds and stores.

In crowds, people will stop right in front of you. You cannot stop those scooters on a dime and I have run into people before. Be sure to leave room in front of you to stop. But, if there is too much room in front, watch out for people cutting in front of you. Folks, esp. kids, will step right in front of you with out watching at all.

I have stopped trying to take a EVC into a store. Once in Epcot, I had an older model and the front bumber had a plastic piece that was bent. It caught on a jewelry rack and pulled the whole thing over!

But all in all, I always am so glad to have an EVC. :moped:

AZKathy said:
Also, my ECV did not last through a day at Epcot. It would last through all of the other parks but not Epcot; my son had to push it through the exit because it was running out of power one day! It also does not work if it rains, so keep an eye out for any rain and keep it out of the rain!

Was this your own ECV or a rental?

The rentals tend to have a 25 mile capacity. I know Walker provides a shower cap in a small plastic bag to cover the control box in case of rain; that is the only part that should not get wet.

If it was a rental, did you let the company know? A couple of months ago mine (which is a former rental) was having problems and I had to have one of the batteries replaced.

I had bought a Pride "Go Go" for Judy and that has a much smaller battery, and is only good for ten miles.

Cheshire Figment said:
Was this your own ECV or a rental?

The rentals tend to have a 25 mile capacity. I know Walker provides a shower cap in a small plastic bag to cover the control box in case of rain; that is the only part that should not get wet.

If it was a rental, did you let the company know? A couple of months ago mine (which is a former rental) was having problems and I had to have one of the batteries replaced.

I had bought a Pride "Go Go" for Judy and that has a much smaller battery, and is only good for ten miles.

It was a rental from Randy's. They were very nice and the scooter worked very well. We were quoted that it would run around 15 miles or so; with our itenerary, we never made it through the World Showcase on our Epcot days!

I think next time if my back problems are still this bad which I am sure they will be, we will get a wheel chair. DH says he does not have a problem pushing it. I absolutely HATED people just jumping in front of me because they naturally look at their eye level and not at where I am! It was tough with the crowds over Thanksgiving, but I know with my back problems, I could not have made it without the ECV! :moped:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter