Aaron Hernandez Found to Have Severe C.T.E.

pryncess527

DIS Veteran
By KEN BELSONSEPT. 21, 2017

Aaron Hernandez, the former New England Patriots tight end who committed suicide in April while serving a life sentence for murder, was found to have a severe form of C.T.E., the degenerative brain disease linked to repeated head trauma that has been found in more than 100 former N.F.L. players.

A lawyer for Hernandez, Jose Baez, in announcing the result at a news conference Thursday, said researchers determined it was “the most severe case they had ever seen in someone of Aaron’s age,” which was 27.

C.T.E., or chronic traumatic encephalopathy, can be diagnosed only posthumously. Hernandez is the latest former N.F.L. player to have committed suicide and then been found to have C.T.E., joining Dave Duerson, Junior Seau, Andre Waters, Ray Easterling and Jovan Belcher, among others. Seau and Duerson shot themselves in the chest so that researchers would be able to examine their brains. Hernandez was found hanging in his prison cell.

Seau, Duerson and Waters were all older than 40, while Hernandez is one of the youngest former N.F.L. players to have been found with the disease. In July, researchers at Boston University released findings that showed that they had found C.T.E. in the brains of 110 of the 111 former N.F.L. players they had examined.

Baez said he has filed a lawsuit in federal court against the Patriots and the N.F.L. on behalf of Hernandez’s daughter.

Hernandez’s brain was examined by Dr. Ann McKee, chief of neuropathology at the VA Boston Healthcare System and director of the CTE Center at Boston University. She developed categories to describe the severity of the disease. Those with Stage 3 of C.T.E., typically had cognitive impairment and trouble with executive functions like planning and organizing. Those with Stage 4, the most severe version of the disease, had dementia, difficulty finding words and aggression.

Dr. McKee said in a statement that Hernandez had Stage 3.

The discovery of C.T.E. adds another turn in Hernandez’s meteoric rise and fall. After a standout career at Florida, Hernandez signed a record $40 million contract with the Patriots in 2012, when he was 22 years old. Just five years before, he had been working menial jobs in his hardscrabble hometown of Bristol, Conn., where he drove a $300 used car he bought with money borrowed from friends.

Yet 10 months after he signed his contract, in 2013, the body of a friend who had been shot multiple times, was discovered. He was convicted of the friend’s murder, was accused and acquitted of two other killings from 2012 and became a stark example of out-of-control, off-field behavior by N.F.L. players.

Even his demise was filled with turmoil. After Hernandez died, Baez called a news conference in front of the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner and accused the state of “illegally” withholding Hernandez’s brain. Hernandez’s body had been discovered the day before tied with a bedsheet to the window of his prison cell in Shirley, Mass. His death was later ruled a suicide.

The findings may help Hernandez’s family if it chooses to file for an award in the class-action settlement with the N.F.L.

Players who are younger than 45 when they are found to have C.T.E. can receive as much as $4 million. Those who died after the settlement was approved in April 2015 are not eligible for an award, but Hernandez’s family could argue for an exemption.

Yet 10 months after he signed his contract, in 2013, the body of a friend who had been shot multiple times, was discovered. He was convicted of the friend’s murder, was accused and acquitted of two other killings from 2012 and became a stark example of out-of-control, off-field behavior by N.F.L. players.

Why is his girlfriend suing the Patriots? He only played with the team for 10 months before being fired for murdering his friend. He played football in high school and college much longer than he did for The Patriots. This must have started before he went professional.

Why is his girlfriend suing the Patriots? He only played with the team for 10 months before being fired for murdering his friend. He played football in high school and college much longer than he did for The Patriots. This must have started before he went professional.

I'm guessing because there is already an NFL settlement on this issue, but suing the NCAA would require a new judgement. But they can argue for an exemption to be included in the already-existing NFL deal

I have conflicted feelings on this. It's a terrible disease. The NFL had covered up the risks of concussions. They should be held responsible for the damage being done from what they were hiding.
That being said, Hernandez had a long history of being a bad guy. This will be used to blame others for his behavior and it's just not right.
He was a p.o.s with cte, not because he had it.

By KEN BELSONSEPT. 21, 2017

Aaron Hernandez, the former New England Patriots tight end who committed suicide in April while serving a life sentence for murder, was found to have a severe form of C.T.E., the degenerative brain disease linked to repeated head trauma that has been found in more than 100 former N.F.L. players.

A lawyer for Hernandez, Jose Baez, in announcing the result at a news conference Thursday, said researchers determined it was “the most severe case they had ever seen in someone of Aaron’s age,” which was 27.

C.T.E., or chronic traumatic encephalopathy, can be diagnosed only posthumously. Hernandez is the latest former N.F.L. player to have committed suicide and then been found to have C.T.E., joining Dave Duerson, Junior Seau, Andre Waters, Ray Easterling and Jovan Belcher, among others. Seau and Duerson shot themselves in the chest so that researchers would be able to examine their brains. Hernandez was found hanging in his prison cell.

Seau, Duerson and Waters were all older than 40, while Hernandez is one of the youngest former N.F.L. players to have been found with the disease. In July, researchers at Boston University released findings that showed that they had found C.T.E. in the brains of 110 of the 111 former N.F.L. players they had examined.

Baez said he has filed a lawsuit in federal court against the Patriots and the N.F.L. on behalf of Hernandez’s daughter.

Hernandez’s brain was examined by Dr. Ann McKee, chief of neuropathology at the VA Boston Healthcare System and director of the CTE Center at Boston University. She developed categories to describe the severity of the disease. Those with Stage 3 of C.T.E., typically had cognitive impairment and trouble with executive functions like planning and organizing. Those with Stage 4, the most severe version of the disease, had dementia, difficulty finding words and aggression.

Dr. McKee said in a statement that Hernandez had Stage 3.

The discovery of C.T.E. adds another turn in Hernandez’s meteoric rise and fall. After a standout career at Florida, Hernandez signed a record $40 million contract with the Patriots in 2012, when he was 22 years old. Just five years before, he had been working menial jobs in his hardscrabble hometown of Bristol, Conn., where he drove a $300 used car he bought with money borrowed from friends.

Even his demise was filled with turmoil. After Hernandez died, Baez called a news conference in front of the Office of the Chief Medical Examiner and accused the state of “illegally” withholding Hernandez’s brain. Hernandez’s body had been discovered the day before tied with a bedsheet to the window of his prison cell in Shirley, Mass. His death was later ruled a suicide.

The findings may help Hernandez’s family if it chooses to file for an award in the class-action settlement with the N.F.L.

Players who are younger than 45 when they are found to have C.T.E. can receive as much as $4 million. Those who died after the settlement was approved in April 2015 are not eligible for an award, but Hernandez’s family could argue for an exemption.

Another spectacular money grab by a scumbag lawyer & his criminal client. So what accounts for his gang activities before he hit the NFL?

I have conflicted feelings on this. It's a terrible disease. The NFL had covered up the risks of concussions. They should be held responsible for the damage being done from what they were hiding.
That being said, Hernandez had a long history of being a bad guy. This will be used to blame others for his behavior and it's just not right.
He was a p.o.s with cte, not because he had it.

He was a POS before he had CTE

Aaron Hernandez was 13, when CTE was diagnosed. The NFL wasn't hiding anything from his parents or him. CTE was a known risk, before he entered high school.

I think this is directed at my comment so I just want to clarify. I meant the nfl hiding it in a more general way, not directed at Hernandez. I believe they should be held accountable for knowing and hiding the risks, not anything to do with Hernandez.

I think this is directed at my comment so I just want to clarify. I meant the nfl hiding it in a more general way, not directed at Hernandez. I believe they should be held accountable for knowing and hiding the risks, not anything to do with Hernandez.
I agree they could be held accountable for players that had CTE, before it was diagnosed & made public. Since that time, players have made a conscience decision to play knowing the risk. It's hard to turn down that much money to play a game, but it's a decision they made. They have/had the option of walking away from the sport.

FWIW, I wasn't replying to your comment directly. My reply was my thoughts on the situation in general.

Last edited:
I'm not a huge football fan. I watch it some. It's sad that all we know about CTE and we still encourage people to keep playing.
Our town just plunked down $70 million to build a stupid football stadium. Great use of money.
I am a football fan. I don't think anyone should be forced to play & would support anyone who chose not to. If they do choose to play, they're accepting the risk, IMO.

Setting aside the Hernandez situation specifically, it becomes harder and harder to remain a football fan with each new revelation on the damage it does to players.

I agree.

Our public high schools really need to look at the risks and determine if tackle football should continue to be offered. I don't think there's a definitive answer yet as to what stage/age CTE can occur.

If any of this is based on the 'study' done of deceased players' brains, well, good luck, because that was a really misleading study. As in, the brains studied were all donated from players who had shown signs of CTE - it's like studying the lungs of people who were heavy smokers and died of a respiratory disease - oh look what they had!?! Duh! Now, if they studied the brains of every deceased football player there ever was, etc, and compiled data, then yes, it would be a useful study.

And how do they know why Hernandez killed himself? He did it after the non-guilty verdict, which was strange, but he was still in for life for the first verdict anyways. Maybe he knew that was it - no freedom, even with the non-guilty. And no money, his family must have been whining at him for that - especially the girlfriend, who has no claim to anything now, except through the child. I'm thinking they goaded him into it, IMO. That's all he had left to give - die before the appeal, get the charges dropped, claim some money.

If any of this is based on the 'study' done of deceased players' brains, well, good luck, because that was a really misleading study. As in, the brains studied were all donated from players who had shown signs of CTE - it's like studying the lungs of people who were heavy smokers and died of a respiratory disease - oh look what they had!?! Duh! Now, if they studied the brains of every deceased football player there ever was, etc, and compiled data, then yes, it would be a useful study.

And how do they know why Hernandez killed himself? He did it after the non-guilty verdict, which was strange, but he was still in for life for the first verdict anyways. Maybe he knew that was it - no freedom, even with the non-guilty. And no money, his family must have been whining at him for that - especially the girlfriend, who has no claim to anything now, except through the child. I'm thinking they goaded him into it, IMO. That's all he had left to give - die before the appeal, get the charges dropped, claim some money.

You might want to rethink that analogy there.

I understand what you are saying. I think the big thing with Hernandez is that he had a long history of violence and criminal type behavior. Baez is the biggest bottom feeder, he's the guy that got Casey Anthony off. He's really good at spin. I hate the idea that this will get them money. That finance was willfully ignorant, at best. She and his family are looking to cash in any way that can and Baez is more than happy to help.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter