A May Adventure: Updated with more Flying Fish

Totally loving your day at AK. First, Nomads is my absolute favorite spot in all of the world. I don't think I've had the watermelon drink so I'll have to try it in the name of science. Plus like you said there is watermelon so it is of course healthy :-)

I've never seen the Savor the Savannah put it looks and sounds amazing. I'm going to have to check that out for our next trip as we'll be there for my b-day. Was the food enough for a meal or just a good snack.

Sorry baseline was a bit of bust. I wanna try it because we're big beer people too, but how they only have 2 items to eat is beyond me.

Totally loving your day at AK. First, Nomads is my absolute favorite spot in all of the world. I don't think I've had the watermelon drink so I'll have to try it in the name of science. Plus like you said there is watermelon so it is of course healthy :-)

I've never seen the Savor the Savannah put it looks and sounds amazing. I'm going to have to check that out for our next trip as we'll be there for my b-day. Was the food enough for a meal or just a good snack.

Sorry baseline was a bit of bust. I wanna try it because we're big beer people too, but how they only have 2 items to eat is beyond me.

Do the Savor the Savanna; your daughter would love it! I think they had plenty of food on the Savanna tour; I'm pretty sure we didn't have anything after that. We were staying BWI club level so I think we probably got a cappuccino from the lounge and ate more of our leftover cake on the balcony.

LOL on Baseline Tap. I think they actually had THREE food items on the menu. I think they were spiced nuts but that really isn't a food item to me!

On to Spice Road Table in Epcot's Morocco pavilion. This was my first time dining here and it won't be on my list for anytime soon. It wasn't bad but it wasn't anything outstanding that would make want to return when there are so many other places to try in the World.

First up are our drinks. I had the pomegranate mimosa on the left; she had the Cyprus Sun on the right.
[GALLERY=]EPCOT Spice Road Table-1 by webster63, on Flickr[/GALLERY]

Here is the cocktail menu so you can see the descriptions Her Cyprus Sun was really very good. Mine was nothing special.

[GALLERY=]EPCOT Spice Road Table-2 by webster63, on Flickr[/GALLERY]

We shared three items: The Fresh Tuna Salad, the Hummus & Olives, and the Brie Fondue (which isn't shown on this photo).
[GALLERY=]EPCOT Spice Road Table-3 by webster63, on Flickr[/GALLERY]

Here are all three on the table. The Brie Fondue on the right was wonderful! I always love the melty, gooeyness of brie. The menu didn't say what was on top; there was a bit of honey and maybe some slivered almonds. Very good.

On the far left is the fresh tuna salad. Not what I expected at all. It was tuna salad with mayo stuffed into a roasted pepper. I was expecting fresh ahi tuna and this was more like tuna salad you would find in a grocery store deli. I also thought it was odd that the fingerling potatoes were cold.

The bottom plate was the hummus and olives. There were two different kinds of hummus; I prefer Sabra hummus so that should put things in perspective.
[GALLERY=]EPCOT Spice Road Table-5 by webster63, on Flickr[/GALLERY]

Next up: Skipper's Canteen

We have a Spice Table reservation in Sept and Ive been unsure about it but hubby wants to try it bc this trip we are trying a lot of new restaurants as well as our tried and true faves.. Looking fwd to Skippers Canteen as we have a reservation there was well.

We have a Spice Table reservation in Sept and Ive been unsure about it but hubby wants to try it bc this trip we are trying a lot of new restaurants as well as our tried and true faves.. Looking fwd to Skippers Canteen as we have a reservation there was well.

I think it's always good to try new things!

Oh, I'd visit just to order the brie dish - brie and crusty bread are one of my (many) weaknesses.

Looking forward to your review. We really enjoyed our meal there.

I'm with you on the brie. It's too bad that you don't see it on too many menus.

On to Skipper's Canteen! We ate a late lunch, maybe around 2 and just booked an ADR 10 minutes before we were ready to eat. The restaurant was pretty empty with only a few other dining parties...less than 10 tables were being used.

We shared 2 small plates then one entree. First some pictures from the menu of what we selected:

[GALLERY=]IMG_0780 by webster63, on Flickr[/GALLERY]

[GALLERY=]IMG_0781 by webster63, on Flickr[/GALLERY]

[GALLERY=]IMG_0782 by webster63, on Flickr[/GALLERY]

Here's our actual food. Starting with the falafel, which my niece said was some of the best she's ever had. I am not a falafel expert but they were good. I wish they had a bit more sauce & cilantro!
[GALLERY=]IMG_0783 by webster63, on Flickr[/GALLERY]

The chalapas, which neither of had before; I never even heard of them so that tells you how much I know about food!

[GALLERY=]IMG_0784 by webster63, on Flickr[/GALLERY]

And finally, we shared the pad thai but added shrimp. I'm not a shrimp person so those went to my niece. This is half of the serving as we already started to divide (they didn't do it in the kitchen). There were actually 4 shrimp on the plate so I must have taken the picture midway through splitting the food...or maybe she already ate two of the shrimp. This was good but not as good as the pad thai we had at Nomad's Lounge.

[GALLERY=]IMG_0785 by webster63, on Flickr[/GALLERY]

It was an enjoyable lunch, very relaxing and not rushed at all. The waiter bantered a bit but didn't get carried away. It was a bit chilly in the restaurant though.

Next up: The Boathouse

This post is going to be short. Our arrival night was a Saturday and we were doing the first night at the Disney Springs Hilton before going to BWI. The Hilton was convenient because we could take the pedestrian walkway over to DS.

I am not a night owl and I haven't been to Disney Springs in the evening since it was called Disney Village (or whatever it was before it was called Downtown Disney). Anyway, it was packed. Wall to wall people with very limited openings on ADRs plus the app wasn't letting me actually book anything.

We wound up at the Boathouse where there was a line of people waiting to check in. We were lucky and found two seats at the bar. I don't remember what my niece got but I got the lobster roll. I'm going to preface this with the fact that I've never had a lobster roll so I don't know what I was expecting. The roll was stuffed with lobster and there was some light dressing on it but it didn't wow me. Because the sandwich was so packed I ate most of the lobster with a fork. This is going to sound really stupid, but I liked the buttered roll more than the lobster. And I know it's not supposed to be that way!

The fries were the thin type which are great if they're crispy but these weren't. These were a miss for me too.

[GALLERY=]Boathouse_lobster roll 2 by webster63, on Flickr[/GALLERY]

[GALLERY=]Boathouse_lobster roll 1 by webster63, on Flickr[/GALLERY]

Next up: The Flying Fish

We're now nearing the end of our vacation :sad1: and going to an old standby but still favorite: The Flying Fish.
It was a long trek from our room (the one with the big balcony just to the right of the Flying Fish sign.

[GALLERY=]IMG_0813 by webster63, on Flickr[/GALLERY]

I started with this beauty: The Pacific Island Punch (Mount Gay Eclipse Rum, Disaronno Originale, Guava-Papaya-Pineapple-Mango Juices topped with Brûléed Banana). Very refreshing!

[GALLERY=]IMG_0814 by webster63, on Flickr[/GALLERY]

My appetizer was the Potato Leek Soup. A nice start to the meal although something (maybe the sesame oil) hit the back of throat and sent me into a coughing spell.

[GALLERY=]IMG_0815 by webster63, on Flickr[/GALLERY]

My entree was a fish that I had never heard of before, kanpachi. The waitress said it's also known as Hawaiian butter fish but when I googled that it referenced a different fish and said it was something that shouldn't be eaten. Anyway, the kanpachi was a firm, white fish that was delicious! I had it prepared with the harvest Vegetable Mélange and Potato Beurre Blanc. Delicious!

[GALLERY=]IMG_0816 by webster63, on Flickr[/GALLERY]

My niece had a frisee salad for her appetizer and the kanpachi prepared with Leek Fondue and Cassis-Red Wine Sauce. She liked both of them. For those familiar with the Flying Fish Cafe's old menu, the leek fondue is the same way they used to prepare the red snapper.

This was my niece's last night in Disney; she had to leave a day earlier to get back to work on Friday.

Next up: my last night in Disney and another trip to the Flying Fish!

41036428755_94f49ae0e8.jpg
I
If we make it back on our next trip, I'm definitely trying these!

It was an enjoyable lunch, very relaxing and not rushed at all. The waiter bantered a bit but didn't get carried away. It was a bit chilly in the restaurant though.
We felt the same way about the atmosphere. Our server cracked some jokes but wasn't over-the-top-corny either.

I don't blame you...look at that buttery toasted roll :love::worship:. And fries are never supposed to be wrinkled :scared:. What in the world?!

It's a chilly morning in southern California at the moment (yes, low 60's IS COLD around these parts :lmao:). This would be perfect right about now. Yum.

My last night in the World always brings a bit of sadness with it. This was no exception but it was a bit worse because my niece had already left for the airport. I've done many solo trips to Disney so I'm used to dining alone but I did miss having my niece with me. I always think I must have done something right when my sister's kids don't mind spending time with me now that they're adults!

Because Flying Fish was a hit the night before and because I was staying at the Boardwalk, I decided to do my last dinner at the Flying Fish.

This time I sat at the bar and had two very entertaining bartenders that helped to lift the melancholy that I was feeling.

I started with something that I've heard rave reviews about but had never tried: The pork belly appetizer. The description on the Disney site reads: Croquette, Royal Gala Apple Slaw, Cranberry Gastrique but I think it must have changed because I didn't see any cranberry gastrique. Unless it's that purplish thing. And I thought the bartender said it had jicama which I thought were the diced pieces but I could be wrong.

This.was.so.good.

[GALLERY=]IMG_0819 by webster63, on Flickr[/GALLERY]

I had the kanpachi again only this time I had it prepared with the leek fondue and wine sauce. Delicious again and the leek fondue was wonderful but the wine sauce was just too rich for me. The leek and kanpachi were sitting in a big blob of it so in the future I think I would ask for the wine sauce on the side.

[GALLERY=]IMG_0826 by webster63, on Flickr[/GALLERY]

And to finish off my vacation, I had the Peanut Butter Freeze. Dessert and alcohol all in one! Although I think they were a little light on the alcohol. Menu description: Kahlúa, Baileys Irish Cream, Crème de Banana, dark Crème de Cacao, Peanut Butter, garnished with Candied Bacon. I did ask them to hold the candied bacon.

[GALLERY=]IMG_0827 by webster63, on Flickr[/GALLERY]

So that's my week in Disney; I hope you enjoyed tagging. I'm going back in August with my 85 year old mother. That trip will be my first stay at the Grand Floridian!

Thanks for reading!

Thanks so much for sharing your trip with us. So glad to see you loved Flying fish so much to go not once, but twice. We are staying at the Boardwalk on our next trip so I can't wait to visit. Our last visit was right after the renovation and it was less than stellar, but I'm thrilled to see they expanded the menu since then

Great write up and thanks for showing FF's pork belly appetizer in the flesh as it were. I can't wait to return :).

That definitely looks like diced jicama ::yes::

Thanks so much for your reviews! I enjoyed them :flower3:

everything looks so good!!! Thanks for the reviews sounds like a nice trip!

Thanks so much for sharing your trip with us. So glad to see you loved Flying fish so much to go not once, but twice. We are staying at the Boardwalk on our next trip so I can't wait to visit. Our last visit was right after the renovation and it was less than stellar, but I'm thrilled to see they expanded the menu since then

Great write up and thanks for showing FF's pork belly appetizer in the flesh as it were. I can't wait to return :).

Thanks so much for following along!

You don't see many reviews of Spice Road Table so I enjoyed reading it. Part of me wants to go there but the menu doesn't really thrill me......I do love Restaurant Marrakesh though!

Starting with the falafel, which my niece said was some of the best she's ever had. I am not a falafel expert but they were good. I wish they had a bit more sauce & cilantro!
We've only been to Skippers once and this was one of the two apps I got, loved it! I agree I wished there'd been more sauce.

I started with this beauty: The Pacific Island Punch (Mount Gay Eclipse Rum, Disaronno Originale, Guava-Papaya-Pineapple-Mango Juices topped with Brûléed Banana). Very refreshing!
That looks like something I'd enjoy!

My last night in the World always brings a bit of sadness with it.
::yes:: Right there with you, and sometimes thinking about our last night before we've even begun our trip brings sadness lol

Thanks for sharing! I'll be looking for your report after your August trip :goodvibes

Your reviews were wonderful, thank you for sharing!

I know you didn't particularly enjoy the lobster roll at the Boathouse, but wow that looks good!

And I keep hearing such wonderful things about Flying Fish - and your entrees looked fantastic - I'm going to have to check it out someday!

Hope you'll post another dining review when you finish up with your next trip!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter