A Final Goodbye - WDW December 2024 (Update 10/6)

Amunet

DIS Veteran
Hey there everyone ... I haven't done a trip report since 2018 and I don't think I've ever done one for WDW. Given the reason for my trip, I wanted to have somewhere to put my plans and such.

The Who
Me! Currently a PhD student & Teaching Assistant in Canada who is originally from the US.
20231007_094030.jpg
Favorite Ride: Guardians of the Galaxy & Frozen
Favorite Character: Elsa
Favorite Park: Epcot followed closely by Magic Kingdom

And my platonic friend James will also be coming along, mostly to help with costs as the exchange rates are crazy. No photo of him as he doesn't normally travel with me but you'll see him once I write up the report.

When: November 30th - December 4th 🎄

Where: Art of Animation - Little Mermaid Room
We chose this resort/room for budget and use of Skyliner

Why:
Well, as the title has hinted (aka slapped you in the face with bluntness), this will be my last goodbye to WDW before I have to move to Asia. As I mentioned before, I am a PhD student and am working on candidacy, which means I'll be moving next year to Asia for my dissertation research. I will be there for at least 2 years. Considering the substantial cost to move countries, I don't know when I'll be able to afford to go to a Disney Park in the US again. Being a student, I only use my paycheck and freelance to pay for going to Disney, so it takes a bit to save.
I'm sure many of you feel the same as me; Disney World is my home and we always need to take the time to say goodbye to our home when we move. The knowledge of not coming back for a while (if at all) will make me appreciate the experience even more.

🩵💜💙🤍

Small note: I'm not being specific with locations and age for privacy reasons. I can say that I won't be far from one of the Asian Disney parks so I can still get my Disney fix!

Last edited:

📉Planning & Budgeting Post💸

Whoooh guys. So I spent A LOT of time crunching numbers for 2 separate currencies, which I found fun but James did not. The last time he was at Disney was in 2016, so lots have changed and I had to explain a lot with the different resorts and transportation changes (Magical express anyone?! 😡🤬).

While AoA was not the cheapest option for either of us, it was still on the lower end and we both like in-your-face Disney decor lol.
We were considering a DVC rental but, even though the dates were shifted by one day, there was a big difference in flight prices for James and would actually deprive us of sleep just due to how days/events would line up. To us, the sleep and lower cost (for James) was more important than a DVC resort and extra time at Epcot.

I got a great price on flights (under $500 CAD round trip, which is actually a good price) with a direct flight for arrival day (yay!). James ... still needs to get his flights. Otherwise, we already got our party tickets and will be purchasing our 3-day basic park tickets later.

⭐PLANNED SCHEDULE ⭐

🛬 Saturday, Nov. 30th 🛍🍽
Arrive
Disney Springs

🌳 Sunday, Dec. 1st 🦁🎄
Animal Kingdom (morning/early afternoon)
Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party

🌐 Monday, Dec. 2nd 🍪☃️
Epcot
(Festival of the Holidays, my favorite! Whooh! Get festive ❄️)

🎢 Tuesday, Dec. 3rd 👸🏻🍎🎇
Hollywood Studios
Storybook Dinner before Fantasmic

🛫 Wednesday, Dec. 4th 🍳🍴
Boma Breakfast
Departure

As you can see, the full days at Epcot and Hollywood Studios is a big reason why we chose a Skyliner 🚡 resort.
While I normally don't go to all parks in a trip (due to only being able to afford short trips), I wanted to make sure I have time in each park since by the time I come back, sooooo many things will have changed, as per all the announcements from D23.

〰️〰️〰️〰️

➡️ For the next two sections, I would appreciate any opinions or if you'd share your experiences to help me narrow down options and additional plans.⬅️

🎢 RIDES/ATTRACTIONS & LIGHTNING LANE⚡

Park Hours
Animal Kingdom
Dec. 1st
Early Entry: 7:30-8am
8am - 6pm

Epcot
Dec. 2nd
Early Entry: 8:30-9am
9am - 9:30pm

Hollywood Studios
Dec. 3rd
Early Entry: 7:30-8am
8am - 9pm

:stitch:Must rides for this trip ... :tigger:

✔️Animal Kingdom
Me - FoP, Safari, & Everest
James - FoP, Na'vi River, & Safari
✔️ Epcot
Me - Guardians, Frozen, & Living w/Land
James - Guardians & Imagination w/Figment
✔️ Hollywood Studios
Me - Frozen Sing-Along & TSM
James - ALL Star Wars rides (RotR, Millennium, Star Tours) & Slinky
✔️Magic Kingdom
Me - SDMT, Pooh, Space Mountain, Tron, & Philharmagic
James - Tron & Haunted Mansion

At this point I should mention that James has not been to WDW in a while, so he has never experienced Pandora in AK or Galaxy's Edge in HS. He's a big Star Wars fan so I'll most definitely make sure he experiences the area. I'm a bit sad that he won't be able to see Pandora at night but that's okay, he'll have another reason to visit in the future.

LL Single & Multipass
Okay, so the last time I did any special ride pass was when they were still free. But, I did do research and I like how it's kind of a mesh of FP+ and Genie+ (I hated Genie+). So, based on the popularity of rides and our must try, I have determined that we will need both LL for Hollywood Studios. For AK and Epcot, I'm not quite sure and am hoping you guys might be able to help me determine the best method (see below). We will only do MK on a party ticket and you cant use LL with those, so our ride plans will be a bit different and I'll detail those in the Holiday Planning section.

💠 Hollywood Studios 💠
LL Single: RotR
LL Multipass ...
Tier 1 = Slinky
Tier 2 = TS Mania & Frozen Sing-Along
Rope Drop Millennium Falcon

If we can't get Slinky for LLS, then I'll try for Millennium and RD Slinky. The above is in order based on ride popularity. I imagine I'll want to do LLS before I book Multipass, right?

💠Animal Kingdom💠
There a few ways to do this one, with LLS only ...
LL Single: FoP
Rope Drop Safari
Standby on everything else
... with both LL ...
LL Multipass: Na'vi River, Safari, & Everest
... or no LL at all ...
Rope Drop FoP
Standby everything else

I do want to make sure we get to at least one of the musical shows at AK but I figure those won't be in as high demand as the others. The reason why no LL at all is an option is because we're not sure if James can ride FoP (he is of larger size) and am not sure we'll want to pay for the ride if he can't ride it. Granted, we won't know if he can until the tries the seat while we're at the park. Another thing to take into consideration is that we do need to get everything done by 1pm at the latest. I know the option for both LL would be the fastest but would it be worth the estimated $30-34?

💠Epcot💠
Again, multiple options for this park; no LL ...
Rope Drop: Remy's
Virtual Queue: Guardians
Wait until evening End: Frozen
Standby everything else
... or Both LL ...
LL Single: Guardians
LL Multipass ...
Tier 1: Remy's
Tier 2: Imagination & Living w/Land

I suppose we could also RD Frozen for both LL but I'm kind of wanting a non-RD day since we'll be up late from the party the night before. While Remy's is not on the must list, I still want James to ride it since it's a new ride for him. Also, I do want to ride Frozen but, if it doesn't work out, that is okay as the Asian Disney park I'll be near does have a Frozen ride, so I won't be completely missing out. Since we have VQ for Guardians, I'm not sure I want to spend an estimated $15-17 just for that one ride but, again, it is a must ride ... the most must ride of all, really. Can we have LLS for Guardians AND do VQ once there?
So yeah, I could use a bit of feedback for Epcot plans too.

🥢 DINING OPTIONS/PLANNING 🍽

Okay, these plans are the most tentative at this point. Since special holiday menu items won't be available before our Dining booking date, we are going with what sounds good now and still keep in mind budget.
For those wishing to provide opinions/recommendations: I cannot eat red meat (includes 🐮🐷🐑) so my options are limited to poultry (🐔🦃), seafood (🦀🐟), and vegetarian (🥦🧀). James needs to watch his sugar and carbs.

The only two items we 💯% agree on with food is that we WILL have dinner at Storybook Dining and, other than breakfast, only eat from the festival booths at Epcot for our meals on that day.

We are thinking of having a late TS dinner reservation for arrival day but will be fine canceling if we just want/only have time for QS.
I've only narrowed it down to Disney Springs and along the Skyliner route.
These are the current options:

🔹️ Sebastián's Bistro
🔹️ Chef Art Smith's Homecomin'
🔹️ The Edison
🔹️ Frontera Cocina
🔹️ Planet Hollywood
🔹️ Raglan Road

I'm leaning more towards Sebastián's and Frontera Cocina.

For our breakfast on departure day, thankfully that's narrowed down to only 2 options:
🔸️Boma
🔸️Whispering Canyon Cafe

Moving on to talking about the parks, I do want to hit Satu'li Canteen for lunch in AK before we leave. I do enjoy their food and I love the blueberry dessert thing BUT if they change that dessert for a holiday dessert ... that I'm not interested in, I most likely won't have to go.
Since James is a huge Star Wars fan, I'm thinking of getting a reservation for Oga's Cantina on HS day but am not sure what time I should reserve it for. I'm not big on drinking alcohol, but I do occasionally, and, as said above, James need to watch sugars and carbs, so I'm not sure if it's worth going there? I did hear any Star Wars fan should go at least once though, so maybe it's worth it just for that?

🍰Food Plan Schedule🍔

🍬Saturday, Nov. 30th
- Snack at AoA QS upon arrival
- Dinner at resort or DS

🍬Sunday, Dec. 1st
- QS Breakfast at AoA
- QS Satu'li Canteen Lunch
- Holiday food/treats at MK/MVMCP

🍬Monday, Dec. 2nd
- QS Breakfast at AoA
- Eat at all festival booths in Epcot for Lunch & Dinner

🍬Tuesday, Dec. 3rd
- QS Breakfast at AoA
- Holiday snacks at HS
- Oga's Cantina
- Storybook Dining Dinner 5:40pm

🍬Wednesday, Dec. 4th
- TS Breakfast at Boma 9:45am
- Holiday treats/snacks

💰Money Matters 💸
Normally I only share details on pricing on trips that are rarer (like my DCL Transatlantic trip in 2018) but I thought it might help with sharing my detailed budgeting here in case it helps anyone AND for anyone that needs to convert foreign currency.

My first step was looking at DVC availability vs WDW resort availability with the special winter rate. I then had to convert the USD price that Disney uses to CAD using the google currency converter. I always round up to the nearest dollar. I played with a lot of dates. I would have preferred a 5 night stay but budget wise, 4 night was best. I then took a look at flights for the various dates I found for DVC and WDW resort; dates we have and early December were the best flight prices for me. James's flights varied. I then took a look at ticket only options sold by Disney as well as Undercover Tourist and converted those into CAD currency as well. Finally, I did the same comparison with the MVMCP tickets. James and I will also be splitting the hotel cost. For me, this is how everything added up for our now booked dates.

The below include Resort Hotel Option (divided by 2) + 3day Tickets from Undercover Tourist (UT) + Flights + MVMCP ticket from UT, all converted to CAD from USD:

:smickey: ASMo Preferred Room = $2097
🎳 POP Standard Room = $2189
🐴 DVC Rental: Saratoga Springs Standard = $2222
🦀 AoA Little Mermaid Room = $2275
🐸 POR Standard Room = $2282
🌴 CBR Standard Room = $2490

Now, these are James's totals in USD with the same included as in my numbers above:

:smickey: ASMo Preferred Room = $1530
🎳 POP Standard Room = $1597
🦀 AoA Little Mermaid Room = $1660
🐸 POR Standard Room = $1666
🌴 CBR Standard Room = $1832
🐴 DVC Rental: Saratoga Springs Standard = $1843

We kind of guessed on the flights for James as he wanted only non-stop flights and tried to get them with similar flight arrival/departure times as mine. While my flights weren't booked at that time, Canada has very limited options for flights and it was pretty apparent which flights I'd buy at that point.
As you can see, the DVC is actually cheaper for me than AoA but the most expensive for James due to his flights being way more expensive for those dates (Dec. 1st-5th). I have mentioned multiple times we chose AoA for Skyliner/Theme/Price but also the way to split payment was a huge factor. In Canada, it's super easy to transfer money to other people as banks here allow transfers using emails. It's super easy, but US accounts are .. not. If we were to choose the DVC option, James would have had to send me a check that I could deposit into my account before paying for the DVC reservation since payment is usually due pretty soon after requesting the reservation (I'm talking about already reserved DVC reservations). One, that would not be fun with the exchange rate and two, I'd have to wait for the check and hope it didn't get lost. With booking through Disney for AoA, James was able to put the deposit down and then we can both pay for the remaining balance at the resort (split on two different cards). Thankfully I have an account with a card that has multiple currencies (called Wise) that I can move between my various bank accounts and they have amazing transaction and conversion rates, much better than my credit card and purchasing Disney gift cards up here in Canada.

To budget for Lightning Lane costs, I did a search on historical prices for the Single and Multipass options and came up with the below:

LL Single
AK - FoP = $12-16/pp
HS - RotR = $20-25/pp
Epcot - Guardians = $15-17/pp

LL Multipass
AK = $18/pp
HS = $26/pp
Epcot = $21/pp

Since cost is a factor in our schedule, these prices are important. HS will be the most expensive as we will need both LL for that day but the other days will vary (see Rides/LL section above). All in all, if we utilized both LL for all 3 parks, we are looking at an extra total of $112-123 USD, which converts to about $152-167 CAD.

In order to figure out if the Dining Plan would be worth it for us, I took a look at the QS DP and DDP prices, which turned out to be $228.04/pp (QSDP) and $377.12/pp (DDP) USD for our trip. If we were to get the Dining Plan, we would have used our snacks for the Epcot Festival of the Holiday booths, so to get an average cost of snacks I looked at 2023's menu and totaled up all the dining plan eligible snacks/drinks and came up with a total of about $6.25 per snack (some did go up to $12, but that's the average). I then usually average $15 for a QS meal and looked up the base cost for the TS restaurants we were interested in (I used Storybook, WCC, and Sebastians). Which came out to the below totals:

QS DP
▪️1 Refillable Mug = $22
▪️4 Snacks = $25
▪️8 QS = $120
Total: $167 (difference of $61.04)

DDP
▪️1 Refillable Mug = $22
▪️4 Snacks = $25
▪️4 QS = $60
▪️4 TS = $126
Total: $233 (difference of $144.12)

As you can see, it really wouldn't have been worth buying the Dining Plan, even if we add estimated taxes. For what we want to eat, it just doesn't justify the costs.

Later, after menus for the holiday treats and food booths are announced, I'll include total estimated cost for food for this trip.

Last edited:
☃️ HOLIDAY PLANNING!!🎄

I'll be putting my plans for MVMCP here, as well as plans for which specialty holiday treats I'm interested in eating, including Epcot's festival booths.
This area will not be updated until Disney releases menus and MVMCP details for 2024.

⚠️This Section is Under Construction⚠️

Last edited:
Oooh, Whispering Canyon and Boma are our favorite departure day breakfasts. We usually have a later afternoon return flight so was can do a lazy breakfast and relax in the morning.

Going at a peak time for Whispering Canyon means you'll get to enjoy a rowdy atmosphere. Later in the morning (after 9:30) and it will be a little more calm.

If you're thinking of sneaking an extra AK morning in the day you leave, I'd do Tusker House (inside AK, $47) instead of Boma ($37). However you can always simply eat at Boma then enjoy watching the animals at Jambo House. We are partial to Boma because we are in the cult of the zebra domes 🤣 Not everyone loves them but we definitely do

Following along . Looking forward to reading more

Oooh, Whispering Canyon and Boma are our favorite departure day breakfasts. We usually have a later afternoon return flight so was can do a lazy breakfast and relax in the morning.

Going at a peak time for Whispering Canyon means you'll get to enjoy a rowdy atmosphere. Later in the morning (after 9:30) and it will be a little more calm.

If you're thinking of sneaking an extra AK morning in the day you leave, I'd do Tusker House (inside AK, $47) instead of Boma ($37). However you can always simply eat at Boma then enjoy watching the animals at Jambo House. We are partial to Boma because we are in the cult of the zebra domes 🤣 Not everyone loves them but we definitely do
Haha, great minds think alike! Yeah, my flight is closer to 6pm but with having to get to the airport early, I'll be leaving probably around 2pm to the airport. So I'll definitely have a leisure time in the morning. Was thinking about maybe looking at other resorts during that time after breakfast too. I'm not sure if James will be able to join lol we'll see.

Yeah, I did take a look at Tusker but I'm not as impressed, particularly with the price point. I watched review videos and it seems Boma has better options for me to eat. Lol you know, I've never had a zebra dome :laughing:

Added Rides/Attractions & Lightning Lanes section, included more details about dining plans, and added a section that goes over cost pricing.

Update:
We decided on Boma for our departure day breakfast!
How we finally decided was based on location cause both breakfasts looked very good. James has not been during the holidays where THE WHOLE RESORT is decorated. Since we will be going to Wilderness Lodge for dining at Storybook already, having a Boma Breakfast allows us to see AKL all decorated for the holidays (Whispering Canyon is in Wilderness Lodge).

Update:
We decided on Boma for our departure day breakfast!
How we finally decided was based on location cause both breakfasts looked very good. James has not been during the holidays where THE WHOLE RESORT is decorated. Since we will be going to Wilderness Lodge for dining at Storybook already, having a Boma Breakfast allows us to see AKL all decorated for the holidays (Whispering Canyon is in Wilderness Lodge).
Yum! We love Boma! What a great last meal before leaving! And AKL is so gorgeous all decked out at the Holidays!

Yum! We love Boma! What a great last meal before leaving! And AKL is so gorgeous all decked out at the Holidays!
I've actually never been to Boma, nor has James. What are your favorites there?

Oh yes! I want to say I have seen AKL in it's holiday splendor but I can't quite remember. I know it will be gorgeous though!

ADRs have been reserved!!
Screen Shot 2024-10-01 at 4.40.24 AM.pngScreen Shot 2024-10-01 at 4.40.50 AM.png

I was wanting to get Storybook at 6pm and Boma at 9:30am but these were the best times closest to that. Can you believe that the next time after 5:40pm for Storybook was 6:45pm? I planned it so we can have 2 hours at Storybook for the whole experience, plus transportation time to get back to HS for Fantasmic.

Also, James finally got his flights! We will be arriving about 2.5hours apart but our flights both leave at the same time, completely different airlines and routes. How crazy is that?

OH! There's also some AWESOME news, well, it is for me! Disney released a promotion for discounted park tickets for Canadian residents. Well, I have a Canadian driver's license ... and an apartment in Canada (for 2 years), so I totally think I count lol. I'll be able to get the price of a 4day ticket for the price of a 3day ticket (a little less), which is SO HELPFUL with the dang exchange rate being so bad (from CAD to USD). I won't be getting the tickets until my next paycheck and James will probably get his tickets in about a week or two.

I think that's it for now. Not much to plan until more details for MVMCP and Festival of the Holidays come out ... which I don't expect for another month.

📉Planning & Budgeting Post💸

Whoooh guys. So I spent A LOT of time crunching numbers for 2 separate currencies, which I found fun but James did not. The last time he was at Disney was in 2016, so lots have changed and I had to explain a lot with the different resorts and transportation changes (Magical express anyone?! 😡🤬).

While AoA was not the cheapest option for either of us, it was still on the lower end and we both like in-your-face Disney decor lol.
We were considering a DVC rental but, even though the dates were shifted by one day, there was a big difference in flight prices for James and would actually deprive us of sleep just due to how days/events would line up. To us, the sleep and lower cost (for James) was more important than a DVC resort and extra time at Epcot.

I got a great price on flights (under $500 CAD round trip, which is actually a good price) with a direct flight for arrival day (yay!). James ... still needs to get his flights. Otherwise, we already got our party tickets and will be purchasing our 3-day basic park tickets later.

⭐PLANNED SCHEDULE ⭐️​

🛬 Saturday, Nov. 30th 🛍🍽
Arrive
Disney Springs

🌳 Sunday, Dec. 1st 🦁🎄
Animal Kingdom (morning/early afternoon)
Mickey's Very Merry Christmas Party

🌐 Monday, Dec. 2nd 🍪☃️
Epcot
(Festival of the Holidays, my favorite! Whooh! Get festive ❄️)

🎢 Tuesday, Dec. 3rd 👸🏻🍎🎇
Hollywood Studios
Storybook Dinner before Fantasmic

🛫 Wednesday, Dec. 4th 🍳🍴
Boma Breakfast
Departure

As you can see, the full days at Epcot and Hollywood Studios is a big reason why we chose a Skyliner 🚡 resort.
While I normally don't go to all parks in a trip (due to only being able to afford short trips), I wanted to make sure I have time in each park since by the time I come back, sooooo many things will have changed, as per all the announcements from D23.

〰️〰️〰️〰️

➡️ For the next two sections, I would appreciate any opinions or if you'd share your experiences to help me narrow down options and additional plans.⬅️

🎢 RIDES/ATTRACTIONS & LIGHTNING LANE⚡

Must rides for this trip ...​
✔️Animal Kingdom
Me - FoP, Safari, & Everest
James - FoP, Na'vi River, & Safari
✔️ Epcot
Me - Guardians, Frozen, & Living w/Land
James - Guardians & Imagination w/Figment
✔️ Hollywood Studios
Me - Frozen Sing-Along & TSM
James - ALL Star Wars rides (RotR, Millennium, Star Tours) & Slinky
✔️Magic Kingdom
Me - SDMT, Pooh, Space Mountain, Tron, & Philharmagic
James - Tron & Haunted Mansion

At this point I should mention that James has not been to WDW in a while, so he has never experienced Pandora in AK or Galaxy's Edge in HS. He's a big Star Wars fan so I'll most definitely make sure he experiences the area. I'm a bit sad that he won't be able to see Pandora at night but that's okay, he'll have another reason to visit in the future.

LL Single & Multipass
Okay, so the last time I did any special ride pass was when they were still free. But, I did do research and I like how it's kind of a mesh of FP+ and Genie+ (I hated Genie+). So, based on the popularity of rides and our must try, I have determined that we will need both LL for Hollywood Studios. For AK and Epcot, I'm not quite sure and am hoping you guys might be able to help me determine the best method (see below). We will only do MK on a party ticket and you cant use LL with those, so our ride plans will be a bit different and I'll detail those in the Holiday Planning section.

💠 Hollywood Studios 💠
LL Single: RotR
LL Multipass ...
Tier 1 = Slinky
Tier 2 = TS Mania, Star Tours, Frozen Sing-Along
Rope Drop Millennium Falcon

If we can't get Slinky for LLS, then I'll try for Millennium and RD Slinky. The above is in order based on ride popularity. I imagine I'll want to do LLS before I book Multipass, right?

💠Animal Kingdom💠
There a few ways to do this one, with LLS only ...
Rope Drop Safari
Standby on everything else
... with both LL ...
LL Multipass: Na'vi River, Safari, & Everest
... or no LL at all ...
Rope Drop FoP
Standby everything else

I do want to make sure we get to at least one of the musical shows at AK but I figure those won't be in as high demand as the others. The reason why no LL at all is an option is because we're not sure if James can ride FoP (he is of larger size) and am not sure we'll want to pay for the ride if he can't ride it. Granted, we won't know if he can until the tries the seat while we're at the park. Another thing to take into consideration is that we do need to get everything done by 1pm at the latest. I know the option for both LL would be the fastest but would it be worth the estimated $30-34?

💠Epcot💠
Again, multiple options for this park; no LL ...
Rope Drop: Remy's
Virtual Queue: Guardians
Wait until evening End: Frozen
Standby everything else
... or Both LL ...
LL Single: Guardians
LL Multipass ...
Tier 1: Remy's
Tier 2: Imagination & Living w/Land

I suppose we could also RD Frozen for both LL but I'm kind of wanting a non-RD day since we'll be up late from the party the night before. While Remy's is not on the must list, I still want James to ride it since it's a new ride for him. Also, I do want to ride Frozen but, if it doesn't work out, that is okay as the Asian Disney park I'll be near does have a Frozen ride, so I won't be completely missing out. Since we have VQ for Guardians, I'm not sure I want to spend an estimated $15-17 just for that one ride but, again, it is a must ride ... the most must ride of all, really. Can we have LLS for Guardians AND do VQ once there?
So yeah, I could use a bit of feedback for Epcot plans too.

🥢 DINING OPTIONS/PLANNING 🍽​

Okay, these plans are the most tentative at this point. Since special holiday menu items won't be available before our Dining booking date, we are going with what sounds good now and still keep in mind budget.
For those wishing to provide opinions/recommendations: I cannot eat red meat (includes 🐮🐷🐑) so my options are limited to poultry (🐔🦃), seafood (🦀🐟), and vegetarian (🥦🧀). James needs to watch his sugar and carbs.

The only two items we 💯% agree on with food is that we WILL have dinner at Storybook Dining and, other than breakfast, only eat from the festival booths at Epcot for our meals on that day.

We are thinking of having a late TS dinner reservation for arrival day but will be fine canceling if we just want/only have time for QS.
I've only narrowed it down to Disney Springs and along the Skyliner route.
These are the current options:

🔹️ Sebastián's Bistro
🔹️ Chef Art Smith's Homecomin'
🔹️ The Edison
🔹️ Frontera Cocina
🔹️ Planet Hollywood
🔹️ Raglan Road

I'm leaning more towards Sebastián's and Frontera Cocina.

For our breakfast on departure day, thankfully that's narrowed down to only 2 options:
🔸️Boma
🔸️Whispering Canyon Cafe

Moving on to talking about the parks, I do want to hit Satu'li Canteen for lunch in AK before we leave. I do enjoy their food and I love the blueberry dessert thing BUT if they change that dessert for a holiday dessert ... that I'm not interested in, I most likely won't have to go.
Since James is a huge Star Wars fan, I'm thinking of getting a reservation for Oga's Cantina on HS day but am not sure what time I should reserve it for. I'm not big on drinking alcohol, but I do occasionally, and, as said above, James need to watch sugars and carbs, so I'm not sure if it's worth going there? I did hear any Star Wars fan should go at least once though, so maybe it's worth it just for that?

🍰Food Plan Schedule🍔

🍬Saturday, Nov. 30th
- Snack at AoA QS upon arrival
- Dinner at resort or DS

🍬Sunday, Dec. 1st
- QS Breakfast at AoA
- QS Satu'li Canteen Lunch
- Holiday food/treats at MK/MVMCP

🍬Monday, Dec. 2nd
- QS Breakfast at AoA
- Eat at all festival booths in Epcot for Lunch & Dinner

🍬Tuesday, Dec. 3rd
- QS Breakfast at AoA
- Holiday snacks at HS
- Oga's Cantina
- Storybook Dining Dinner 5:40pm

🍬Wednesday, Dec. 4th
- TS Breakfast at Boma 9:45am
- Holiday treats/snacks

💰Money Matters 💸
Normally I only share details on pricing on trips that are rarer (like my DCL Transatlantic trip in 2018) but I thought it might help with sharing my detailed budgeting here in case it helps anyone AND for anyone that needs to convert foreign currency.

My first step was looking at DVC availability vs WDW resort availability with the special winter rate. I then had to convert the USD price that Disney uses to CAD using the google currency converter. I always round up to the nearest dollar. I played with a lot of dates. I would have preferred a 5 night stay but budget wise, 4 night was best. I then took a look at flights for the various dates I found for DVC and WDW resort; dates we have and early December were the best flight prices for me. James's flights varied. I then took a look at ticket only options sold by Disney as well as Undercover Tourist and converted those into CAD currency as well. Finally, I did the same comparison with the MVMCP tickets. James and I will also be splitting the hotel cost. For me, this is how everything added up for our now booked dates.

The below include Resort Hotel Option (divided by 2) + 3day Tickets from Undercover Tourist (UT) + Flights + MVMCP ticket from UT, all converted to CAD from USD:

:smickey: ASMo Preferred Room = $2097
🎳 POP Standard Room = $2189
🐴 DVC Rental: Saratoga Springs Standard = $2222
🦀 AoA Little Mermaid Room = $2275
🐸 POR Standard Room = $2282
🌴 CBR Standard Room = $2490

Now, these are James's totals in USD with the same included as in my numbers above:

:smickey: ASMo Preferred Room = $1530
🎳 POP Standard Room = $1597
🦀 AoA Little Mermaid Room = $1660
🐸 POR Standard Room = $1666
🌴 CBR Standard Room = $1832
🐴 DVC Rental: Saratoga Springs Standard = $1843

We kind of guessed on the flights for James as he wanted only non-stop flights and tried to get them with similar flight arrival/departure times as mine. While my flights weren't booked at that time, Canada has very limited options for flights and it was pretty apparent which flights I'd buy at that point.
As you can see, the DVC is actually cheaper for me than AoA but the most expensive for James due to his flights being way more expensive for those dates (Dec. 1st-5th). I have mentioned multiple times we chose AoA for Skyliner/Theme/Price but also the way to split payment was a huge factor. In Canada, it's super easy to transfer money to other people as banks here allow transfers using emails. It's super easy, but US accounts are .. not. If we were to choose the DVC option, James would have had to send me a check that I could deposit into my account before paying for the DVC reservation since payment is usually due pretty soon after requesting the reservation (I'm talking about already reserved DVC reservations). One, that would not be fun with the exchange rate and two, I'd have to wait for the check and hope it didn't get lost. With booking through Disney for AoA, James was able to put the deposit down and then we can both pay for the remaining balance at the resort (split on two different cards). Thankfully I have an account with a card that has multiple currencies (called Wise) that I can move between my various bank accounts and they have amazing transaction and conversion rates, much better than my credit card and purchasing Disney gift cards up here in Canada.

To budget for Lightning Lane costs, I did a search on historical prices for the Single and Multipass options and came up with the below:

LL Single
AK - FoP = $12-16/pp
HS - RotR = $20-25/pp
Epcot - Guardians = $15-17/pp

LL Multipass
AK = $18/pp
HS = $26/pp
Epcot = $21/pp

Since cost is a factor in our schedule, these prices are important. HS will be the most expensive as we will need both LL for that day but the other days will vary (see Rides/LL section above). All in all, if we utilized both LL for all 3 parks, we are looking at an extra total of $112-123 USD, which converts to about $152-167 CAD.

In order to figure out if the Dining Plan would be worth it for us, I took a look at the QS DP and DDP prices, which turned out to be $228.04/pp (QSDP) and $377.12/pp (DDP) USD for our trip. If we were to get the Dining Plan, we would have used our snacks for the Epcot Festival of the Holiday booths, so to get an average cost of snacks I looked at 2023's menu and totaled up all the dining plan eligible snacks/drinks and came up with a total of about $6.25 per snack (some did go up to $12, but that's the average). I then usually average $15 for a QS meal and looked up the base cost for the TS restaurants we were interested in (I used Storybook, WCC, and Sebastians). Which came out to the below totals:

QS DP
▪️1 Refillable Mug = $22
▪️4 Snacks = $25
▪️8 QS = $120
Total: $167 (difference of $61.04)

DDP
▪️1 Refillable Mug = $22
▪️4 Snacks = $25
▪️4 QS = $60
▪️4 TS = $126
Total: $233 (difference of $144.12)

As you can see, it really wouldn't have been worth buying the Dining Plan, even if we add estimated taxes. For what we want to eat, it just doesn't justify the costs.

Later, after menus for the holiday treats and food booths are announced, I'll include total estimated cost for food for this trip.
We hardly buy disney food any more, but I do look at menus just to be shocked. LOL

Your TS at $30 each? Boma and Storybook dining are way over that. Maybe redo the math. Unless you are the type to share counter service meals or get kids meals all the time. A burger is about $13. And then add a drink, that would be more than $15. Not trying to make money for disney, but you might not be saving as much as you plan.

Your TS at $30 each? Boma and Storybook dining are way over that. Maybe redo the math. Unless you are the type to share counter service meals or get kids meals all the time. A burger is about $13. And then add a drink, that would be more than $15. Not trying to make money for disney, but you might not be saving as much as you plan.
I stated that I used Storybook, Sebastians, and WCC for my prices, yes, indeed Sebastians and WCC are cheap:
Screen Shot 2024-10-01 at 4.46.49 PM.pngScreen Shot 2024-10-01 at 4.47.06 PM.pngScreen Shot 2024-10-01 at 4.47.29 PM.png
Totaling all those up is, indeed $126. However, you are right, the price is even lower now since we are only doing 2 TS meals which is Storybook ($65) and Boma ($35, only $5 over $30, not WAY over). That gives us $31 in savings.

As for QS meals, I always budget $15 per because most of the things I order are under that, as I cannot eat red meat (as stated in my post), chicken is a lot cheaper. There are some seafood QS entrees that reach up to that $15 limit, so it's better to estimate a bit higher to factor in tax for the cheaper items. I also do not purchase drinks as I use a refillable water bottle.

So, yes, I am getting the savings.

Well, you’re right, drinking water saves tons of money. And doing only 2 TS , no need for dining plan.

Well, you’re right, drinking water saves tons of money. And doing only 2 TS , no need for dining plan.
Even with the 3 TS I had budgeted, it's still cheaper not to do the dining plan, as shown above.

Yeah, I usually only drink water anyways, unless there's a special holiday drink. I also don't really drink alcohol, so that also works out to be a bit healthier without the dining plan lol

Just a small update :)

I completly forgot to reserve Oga's, so I recently did that ...
Screenshot_20241006_100736_Disney World.jpg

I also purchased seat selections for my flights since it's almost 6 hours one way. I also paid for 1 checked bag on the way back home. Between those fees, it ended up being under $90 CAD.

I also added the park hours for our dates that we will be there.

FREE VACATION PLANNING!

Dreams Unlimited Travel is here to help you plan your ideal Disney vacation, with no additional cost to you. Our Authorized Disney Vacation Planners offer expert advice, answer all your questions, and constantly seek out the best discounts, ensuring you get the most value for your trip. Let us handle the details so you can focus on making magical memories.
CLICK HERE

DIS Tiktok DIS Facebook DIS Twitter DIS youtube DIS Instagram DIS Pinterest