• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

6 Days of dining on the DDP 9/25-9/30

dismama

Mouseketeer
The cast for our trip is me, DH, and DS who is considered an infant though he is almost 3 y.o. We had the free DDP and DH and I loved it. We had no problems using the plan and since we were sharing with DS we felt like the food was just the right amount. We managed to use all of our snack credits and only brought home on snack.

9/25-Arrival Day
We arrived after lunch time about 2 pm. We were pretty hunger, and originally planned just grab some CS and be on our way. Since we were so hunger and rethought our plan of Chef Mickey's and Whisper Canyon in the same day and we decided to go to Whisper Canyon. We were staying at the wilderness lodge. The resturant was dead. We waited about 5-10 minutes for a table, and did NOT have ADR. Our waiter was Chad. He was okay, he didn't really seem to be into "it". The food was good. I had the nachos (which I shared with DS and DH), the pulled pork sandwich and chocolate cake for dessert. I thought that the food was good. The pork could use a little more seasonings and the BBQ sauce made up for it. DH had the all you can eat skillet, personally I think that it is wrong that you do not get an appitizer with it at lunch since it does not come with a salad, and he had the Dust Bowl for dessert. DH thought the skillet was great, the cornbread was sweet and he said he could have eaten it for a dessert. The meats were all good and the beans were as well.

We ate lunch so late that we were not hunger for dinner. Instead we had some snacks, that we paid for out of pocket since we were getting the all you can drink mugs. For a snack that night DH had a brownie from Roaring Forks and I got the fruit salad bowl. They were both good.

9/26- Chef Mickey's

We started our day at the Magic Kingdom and had a late breakfast sitting at Chef Mickey's (11:15). We waited about 10 minutes for a table. We were seated in one of the main dining areas and had great character interactions. DS is a slow eater so we saw all the characters 2 times. DH and I felt the food was great. Typical breafast type stuff, with some desserts. Everything tasted fresh and was warm. Our server was great and quick with the drink refills. When we were leaving they were starting to set up for lunch but still had half the buffet open for breakfast. DH especially loved that there was salmon on the buffet.

My only complaint about the buffet would be other people, mainly kids. I was behind one parent that was with an older child over 10 and they were helping their child get food from the buffet but then letting the child eat while still in line. I can understand being hungry that late in the day if you have not eaten all day, but could the child not have taken what they had and eaten and then come back for more. It was annoying to see this child eating right by all the food, and it made the line slow.

On this night we went to the Earl of Sandwich for dinner. It was very yummy and DH and I both love sandwiches. We both got the meatball sandwich. We loved the bread they serve the sandwiches on, it is almost a cross between a biscuit and a roll. We ordered DS a kid's sandwich which was plain the way DS likes it, turkey and cheese on their special bread. Everything is alacart here, it would be nice if they had a combo menu or at least some type of acutal kid's meal deal, as it could have been quite pricey for sandwiches, drinks, and desserts had we not been on the DDP. On the DDP plan dessert is limited to a cookie, brownie, or cupcake. We got a cookie and a cupcake. I have to assume the cookie was good, DS ate the whole thing by himself. DH and I split the cupcake and it was wonderful. It was yellow cake with chocolate fudge icing.

Later that night we picked up 2 snacks at Goofy's candy company. DH got some peanut butter chip, chocolate chip cookie. He told me it was good. I got a gingerbread boy with mouse ears to take back to the room. DS and I shared it on another day, and we both thought it was a great cookie.

9/27- 50's Prime Time Cafe

We waited less than 5 minutes to be seated here. Our waitress was great, not to over the top but in the 50's Prime time mode. For starters we got the fried herbed cheese and onions rings. Both were yummy. I liked the herb cheese better than the onion rings and could have ordered more for my meal. For entrees DH got the chicken sandwich and I got the turkey and cheese sandwich, mine came with chips and DH with fries. The chicken sandwich was a chicken breast with ham on it. They were both good, I shared half my sandwich with DS and still felt satisfied. Some of the other entree options looked delicious but it was so hot on this day I could not imagine eating pot roast or chicken pot pie and walking around afterwards. For dessert DH and I got the Dad's Sunade. It was so yummy though I could have done without the popcorn on it, DH agreed. I picked mine off, DH ate it anyway. DS got the make your own sunade and enjoyed it. Though he ate everything seperate.

We went to the Electric Umbrella for dinner. We each got burger combos, DH the double bacon burger with brownie for dessert and me the burger with cheesecake. It was fine for CS nothing spectacular.

9/28 Animal Kingdom Day

We spent the day at animal kingdom and went to Pizzafari for lunch. DH got the pizza, with frozen lemonade for dessert. I got the Chicken Parmagana sandwich with chocolate cake. The food here was fine, DH said the pizza was fine for CS but nothing special. I thought that the sandwich was good but nothing special as well. The chocolate cake was yum! But I have never met a chocolate cake that I haven't liked.

We went to Boma that night for dinner. It was good. I was not thrilled about eating there but DH really wanted to go, so we went. I am not an adventerous eater, but every thing that I tried was good, and I broke out of my shell a little and tried some new things. The food was all fresh, hot and delicious. The prime rib was very good. I also liked the sweet potatoes mixed with white potatoes. All the desserts offered were good. DH loved the zebra domes but I felt they were okay. I tried the potato and bacon soup and it was very good. Our waitress was great.

9/29- Garden Grill

We got a late start on this day as we had plans to go to MNSSHP this night. We headed out to epcot and had 11:30 ADR for Garden Grill. The food here was so good. Everything tasted yummy and fresh. Which suprised me for being a pre-plated place. The character interaction was great, though they seemed to be a little rushed. We were there long enough that we saw all of them 3-5 times. The dessert was yummy, though I was disappointed that it was not a dessert sampler as previously described. The bread with citrus honey butter was so yummy I could have just eaten that.

This night we ate at cosmic ray's before the party and were not disappointed. Everything was hot and yummy. I had the chicken tenders that I shared with DS and DH had a burger combo. The dessert was good, but I forgot what it was so it must have not been that good. But we were also distracted with Stitch's Cosmic Dance Party getting ready to start.

9/30- Snacks and Electric Umbrella
This was our finally day in Disney. We started at magic kingdom and got some yummy snacks at the Main St bakery. We had 2 french toast loaves, very good. And a yogurt parfait. It was very good as well. Blueberry yogurt with banana slices, blueberries and granola. We then headed to epcot and shared a pretzel and strudel in Germany, yum yum! And after all the hype had to try some Schoolbread in Norway. The schoolbread did not disappoint and was very good. Later we grabbed some CS at the electric umbrella and again it was fine. I had Chicken Tender combo with cheesecake, and DH had the double bacon burger combo with a cookie. Still good.

Overall we loved being on the dining plan we found that we did not really have any credits leftover. We shared most things either with DS or amongst ourselves. We had no problems getting bottles of water with any of our meals. Everything we tried in Disney was good, some better than others but no disappointment with anything. When we go to Disney again we will probably not do Boma as it just was not our style, and IMPO did not live up to the hype I had read about it.

While we were there Disney rolled out some new kid menus. While they are an improvement you now get your choice of 2 either grapes, applesauce, or carrot sticks, with some healthier drink options, they still need some improvement as chicken nuggets and mac and cheese does not make a healthy meal. I did notice at some table service they did offer fruit plates and a few other things. Though given the chance I know that DS would probably pick chicken nuggets every time.

Enjoyed reading your reviews ~ Thanx for sharing.

thanks for the reviews. Especially, the news about the kid's menus (my dd8 would eat chicken nuggets for b'fast, lunch and dinner - if I let him).

We are staying at WL and will be eating at WCC our last night.

I agree with you about Boma. We stayed at AKL last year and ate there twice. (once for dinner and once for b'fast) I will say that b'fast was much better than dinner. There was a lot of fruit and other things that were very yummy.

dismama said:
Garden Grill
The dessert was yummy, though I was disappointed that it was not a dessert sampler as previously described.

What was the dessert?

disneyfav4ever said:
What was the dessert?

The dessert plate was 2 turnovers filled with custard covered with berries (strawberries, rasberries, and blueberries) with whipped cream and chocolate shavings. It was good, but I had seen that they had more of a sampler before.

My son (seven) and I were there those exact dates on the dining plan. This is how ours went...

9/25 Mitsukoshi Teppanyaki- very busy place but worth the wait. We sat with another family (nice people) a few kids all well behaved. The waiter was very entertaining, he made a volcano out of onions with smoke coming out then made Mickey's face out of it. Staff were all very helpful, brought items out quickly. A waitress taught my son how to use chopsticks and he ate his rice with them. They served us small bowls of seaweed and not one of us ate it. Plenty of other food though. I had steak and scallops and ate my son's shrimp because he thought it would be breaded and it wasn't.

9/26 Crystal Palace, they made you wait outside on a hot sweltering porch til they called your name. It seemed like forever but it wasn't that long. Once inside drinks were brought quickly and it was go help yourself. All the characters came to the table (POOH,TIGGER, and PIGLET) They did a parade around the restaurant with all the kids. Food was good.

9/26 Kona Cafe We really liked this one. I had the crab cakes, Mahi Mahi,
and banana creme brulee Matthew had a hot dog and fries, rasberry smoothie and jello. I had a Mai Tai :blush: not on DDP. All wonderful but we missed the fireworks and rode the wrong bus back to the hotel (driver took us to right hotel but was not happy)... :crazy:

9/27 Lunch 12 noon at Pizza Planet- My seven year old was very happy here, pizza a big cookie and an arcade, Woody and Buzz outside, what more could a boy want. This was a busy place. Food was ok.D

9/27 Fantasmic Dinner Package 4:20pm
Hollywood and Vine- was worried about this one but it was wonderful, a place for families not a romantic dinner. We liked it. We also loved our seats for Fantasmic. Food on buffet was fresh and good. I loved the apple butter, peel and eat shrimp and the beets.

9/28 Tusker House- great rotisserie chicken,green beans were yummy, mashed potatoes very good. Matthew had a chicken leg applesauce and grapes. I think I had cheesecake for dessert.

9/28 Whispering Canyon A bit of a let down. I have had better steak and better mashed potatoes. They sat us in the back of beyond away from all the action. I had dressed Matthew as a cowboy for the festivities. All we got was our straws thrown at us. He did the pony race but I was around the corner in the back of beyond and didn't see it. We shared a chocolate cake for dessert.

9/29 Nothing but Casey's Corner and Halloween candy :blush: Casey's was fun, we sat on bleachers watching old Disney cartoons sharing a huge hotdog and fries, brownie for dessert.

~Donna :wave:

Thanks dismama and dmthoma76 for sharing your reviews. :dumbo:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter