Life After Marathons: A Running/barre3/Coffee/Life Journal

I don't do that either...
I carve Disney pumpkins each year. Last year was Beauty and the Beast and Ariel. The year before was Anna and Elsa so we always have tons of seeds. I cant waste them. I could carve all day long. Its therapeutic for me.

Back when I used to make my own granola, I used pumpkin seeds. I probably still have some in the house. But I only eat them in granola ... I don't eat them plain.
I'm very weird.
And I second the gingerbread for sure. Gingerbread is awesome.
Pumpkin seed granola I might be able to get behind. But gingerbread is my absolute favorite.

I carve Disney pumpkins each year. Last year was Beauty and the Beast and Ariel. The year before was Anna and Elsa so we always have tons of seeds. I cant waste them. I could carve all day long. Its therapeutic for me.

Fun! If you're going to be one of those people who carve pumpkins, Disney pumpkins are the way to go.

Pumpkin seed granola I might be able to get behind. But gingerbread is my absolute favorite.

I used to make a "nuts and seeds" granola - so I threw in a whole bunch of different nuts and seeds, including roasted pumpkin seeds.

Yay! Hopefully you've had a less stressful day!

Thanks! Today was a less stressful day than earlier in the week ... but we'll see how next week goes :)

Oh, also, I don't know how much @Ariel484 is around these days since she's probably super busy, so I have to be the one to share all the bags: (sorry about the giant picture that I stole from harveys)
_sebastian_streamlinecrossbody_front__17727.1529338674.jpg

https://shopharveys.com/streamline-crossbody-disney-sebastian/

I want it, but I can't justify spending $150 on something I won't really use that often.

I'm around, just in lurker status...

:wave:

And I got many things from that collection :upsidedow

That does not surprise me at all...

Pumpkin soup alone is a no. I've had it mixed with butternup squash in soup and it's acceptable. I've had pumpkin seed in a kale salad once that were tasty, so I'll allow that as an exception. :D

Why would anyone dilute the wonderfulness of butternut squash soup with pumpkin?
Pumpkin seeds are good in salad. Just maybe not kale... (I don't like kale - it's like the one green I don't eat. That and cooked spinach that isn't stuffed inside some sort of pastry. But I eat raw spinach.)

New Balance Bronx 10 Mile: Training Week 2 Recap

So ... I haven't figured out how I want to do this. So I'll just go for it.

Monday
  • Running: None
  • Cross Training: Barre3, 1:01:33 hours
    • New instructor for barre3. I think she gave fewer instructions than some other instructors. I wouldn’t have liked her for my first class, but for the level I’m at now, it was fine.
    • Signed up for my first monthly membership! Woohoo! I was very nicely welcomed to the barre3 family.
  • Food: Sigh. Not terrible, but not the best. I ate all the chocolates, but otherwise wasn't the worst.
  • Life/Work: Unexceptional, I think. Per Garmin, overall stress level was 41.

Tuesday
  • Running: 4.03 miles, 49:12 minutes, 12:13/mi avg pace
    • Scheduled as 1 mi WU + 2 mi 10K pace + 1 mi CD - ended up with a little under 2 mi 10K pace (has to do with how I set up the workout on the Garmin) and a little extra CD to get to 4 mi
    • Really good run! Numbers wise I was a bit slow, but it really felt like 10K pace, especially in the second mile. Very happy with this one.
    • Did notice that I need to work on my breathing during the 10K pace portion, so that's something to keep in mind. I also ran out of intervals on my workout (I do 120/30 intervals, so I set up enough repeats to reach 2 miles at 10K pace ... but I was slower than 10K pace, so I ran out of intervals before 2 miles), so I need to decide if I want to tack on extra intervals to avoid that in the future or decide that I'm okay not doing the full 2 miles if I'm slower than anticipated.
  • Cross Training: None
  • Food: Was good for a little bit, then ate all the chocolate. Grr.
  • Life/Work: Le sigh. All the things were broken today and it was no bueno. Garmin has my stress level at 49.

Wednesday:

• Food: Started good, then ate all the things. Grr.
  • Life/Work: Work started ugh and ended "ahhhhhhh!!!" Just overall a really terrible day at work. Then the Yankees tried to break my heart. I saw the new Pinstripe Pils (Yankee Stadium-exclusive beer), but I can't drink Blue Point (because they make a shellfish beer and I can't have anything with shellfish or made on the same equipment as shellfish ... same issue with Dogfish Head), so no dice. At least I got a new Yankees hat. Overall stress level 47.

Thursday
  • Running: 3.51 miles, 46:24 minutes, 13:13/mi avg pace
    • Run felt okay, but was super slow for some reason. Decided I wanted to take pictures during the run, but there wasn’t much to take pictures of. Wanted to either stop or walk a few times, but I knew I didn’t have to, so I kept going until I had a reason to stop (like taking a picture or crossing a street).
    • Seen on my run (outside the local public school): (sorry about the giant picture)
      7weR9MzQ4_ut4w5e23r80ftlKi9cFqo3lFByk3-GoX8-1536x2048.jpg
  • Cross Training: Barre3, 59:08 minutes
    • Really good class - challenged myself when I felt like I could, backed off when I felt like I needed it, and just really felt like I was in a good place.
  • Food: Um, I don't remember, so let's just assume bad.
  • Life/Work: Good day at work - definitely felt productive! Garmin says my overall stress level was 36, so definitely an improvement over earlier in the week.

Friday
  • Food: Ate okay at work early, but had a few chocolates before leaving. Ate meh at home.
  • Life/Work: Nothing too exciting. Got my first pull request merged, which was really cool. Otherwise ... kind of a slow day. Overall stress level 23.

Saturday
  • Food: Not great.
  • Life: Broke my black heels as soon as I walked out of the house (they may be fixable, I just have to see if I can sew in new elastic). Had to wear my flats, which give me blisters. Not exactly what I want when I'm gonna be running the next day. Wanted to take a walk when I got up from my afternoon nap, but I was worried about rain, so I didn’t. Sigh. (Also, I didn’t have shoes to wear, but that’s a different issue)
Sunday
  • Running: 7.00 miles, 1:33:43 hours, 13:23/mi avg page
    • Slept in a drop, but was still #notinthemood for my run. It took longer than usual for my legs to warm up (I'm always a little stiff for the first half mile or so, but this was more like a mile), but I got through the whole 7 miles, and that’s all that matters. No consistency on the pace, though.
    • Either there’s another issue with my left knee or the new 880s are definitely not going to be my marathon shoe (and may not even work for the Bronx 10 mile). I had some ankle pain starting about halfway through the run, which could be the shoes, but could also be related to a knee issue. I think I’m going to start doing my PT knee exercises again this week and then see how my 9-miler goes. If the knee exercises don’t help, I may have to try a new shoe. I don’t love the idea of introducing a new shoe with only one long long run before the race, but with a month to adjust, it should be doable.
  • Food: Not bad. Went to a baseball game, and ate okay before the game, only got a hotdog at the game, and only snacked a drop when I got home. Happy with how this day went food-wise.
  • Life: See more below, but it was a good day overall. Stress level 15, so a huge improvement over the work week.
    • I did a coding challenge for a job I applied to kind of on a whim. I didn’t struggle with it as much as I thought I would. So either I’m in better shape than I thought I was or I really screwed something up (I found solutions to all the problems, but for all I know they may be the least efficient solutions ever). I’m going with its probably the former, but the latter is also an option. We’ll see if they’re interested in bringing me in for an interview. (I’m holding off on booking my Universal hotel and my flights for WDW marathon weekend for a little bit just in case this does go somewhere … but even if I do end up getting another offer (whether for this company or someone else), I’m hoping my pre-planned vacation will not be a problem.)
    • Went to a baseball game, which was enjoyable. It went into extras, and everyone loves free baseball. Apparently the league I went to see adopted a rule that after the 10th inning, each team starts with a player on 2nd base ... but the home team won in the bottom of the 10th, so I didn't get to see how that worked (so many questions!!). I'm now at 10 games for the summer, 1 behind last year's high of 11. I'm going to another game tomorrow, and likely another one next Sunday. So ... looks like a new record is coming up soon.

Overall Week Stats:
Running: 3 runs, 14.54 miles, 3:09:19 hours (13:01/mi avg pace)
Barre3: 2 classes, 2:00:41 hours
Weight: -1.1 lb from last Sunday*
*But last Sunday I weighed in first thing in the morning and this week I forgot and didn’t weigh in until after my run, so that number may be artificially inflated

Scheduled for a total of 19 miles this week, barre3 tonight and Thursday, and Mets game tomorrow. I may or may not go to Beth for the weekend, depending on if she's feeling up to cooking for company (we'll probably decide tonight). If I do, my week will get crazy messed up because I'm going to try to do my long run Thursday. We'll see.

I actually really like this format and I want to steal it. I like how you incorporated your stress level. I am so obsessed with that feature, haha. Sounds like you had a good week though! Yay for getting a Barre membership! And going to TWO baseball games. I wish I lived closer to a stadium.

Went to a baseball game, which was enjoyable. It went into extras, and everyone loves free baseball. Apparently the league I went to see adopted a rule that after the 10th inning, each team starts with a player on 2nd base ... but the home team won in the bottom of the 10th, so I didn't get to see how that worked (so many questions!!).
I really do not want to see this idea come anywhere near Major League Baseball. I suppose it's acceptable in lower levels for other reasons, but there are a lot of proposed rule changes coming from the new commissioner that could do far more harm than good to the game. And I'm not talking about the speed up the pace of play stuff.

If I do, my week will get crazy messed up because I'm going to try to do my long run Thursday. We'll see.
Yeah, this week is weird for me. I've got a church thing I need to do tomorrow night after my tempo run for the week and then I have to do 7.5 miles on Friday since my little sister and I are going to the San Francisco Giants game on Saturday where they're having a 2010 team reunion on account of this being the 60th anniversary of the team in San Francisco and they're facing the Rangers that day who they beat to win the 2010 World Series.

And going to TWO baseball games. I wish I lived closer to a stadium.
The last two years I've done both Star Wars games with the Giants and the A's on back to back weekends. I've enjoyed seeing how the two teams handle the event differently and seeing a game again through the eyes of a child.

Nice week and I agree with @jennamfeo on liking the format.

Tell me about this Garmin stress level thing? Clearly my Garmin does not have this feature. Is it a scale of 1-100? How does it know how stressed you are?

Shellfish in beer? It never would have occurred to me that beer could have that as an ingredient or manufactured on equipment that processes it. You learn something new everyday.

That caterpillar flower planter is super cute!

My stress level according to Garmin is frequently low. I think it’s because as I get older I care less and less :rotfl2:

I actually really like this format and I want to steal it. I like how you incorporated your stress level. I am so obsessed with that feature, haha. Sounds like you had a good week though! Yay for getting a Barre membership! And going to TWO baseball games. I wish I lived closer to a stadium.

I'm glad you like it ... steal away! It was kind of how I was dividing things in my head, so it worked.
So ... the stress level. The first few weeks I was obsessing over it way too much, so I took the widget off my watch. But I saw it listed when I was looking up info about my day, so I decided to include it.
If it makes you feel better, the game I went to on Sunday was over an hour away. Including minor league and independent league teams, we have at least 7-8 teams within a 2 hour drive, maybe more. But it has been a crazy baseball summer.
Also ... when you come in for the Staten Island Half, if the Yankees are still playing (not overly likely) and I can afford playoff prices (even less likely), I'll take you to a Yankees game.

I really do not want to see this idea come anywhere near Major League Baseball. I suppose it's acceptable in lower levels for other reasons, but there are a lot of proposed rule changes coming from the new commissioner that could do far more harm than good to the game. And I'm not talking about the speed up the pace of play stuff.

I haven't seen it in action, but I'm not a fan of the idea. I'm also not a fan of the "speed up the pace of play" stuff ... I like the occasional 4 hour game (or as a Yankees fan ... not so occasional). I haven't really been paying much attention to what Rob Manfred has been proposing, but I'm too stubborn to want the game to change much in general. I'm still not a fan of this 1-game wild card play-in thing.

Yeah, this week is weird for me. I've got a church thing I need to do tomorrow night after my tempo run for the week and then I have to do 7.5 miles on Friday since my little sister and I are going to the San Francisco Giants game on Saturday where they're having a 2010 team reunion on account of this being the 60th anniversary of the team in San Francisco and they're facing the Rangers that day who they beat to win the 2010 World Series.

Sounds busy but fun. And I'm seeing the Giants tonight ... but I'll be rooting for their opponents :)

The last two years I've done both Star Wars games with the Giants and the A's on back to back weekends. I've enjoyed seeing how the two teams handle the event differently and seeing a game again through the eyes of a child.

Nice! Which team does it better?

Nice week and I agree with @jennamfeo on liking the format.

Thanks!

Tell me about this Garmin stress level thing? Clearly my Garmin does not have this feature. Is it a scale of 1-100? How does it know how stressed you are?

I think it's a scale of 1-100. I assume it has something to do with heart rate, but I'm actually not sure...

Shellfish in beer? It never would have occurred to me that beer could have that as an ingredient or manufactured on equipment that processes it. You learn something new everyday.

I first heard about it because I heard someone mention that Dogfish Head makes a Chocolate Lobster beer. Then I looked up Blue Point and saw that they make an Oyster beer. I can't decide if it's brilliant or weird ... but either way, I can't have them.

That caterpillar flower planter is super cute!

Agreed!

My stress level according to Garmin is frequently low. I think it’s because as I get older I care less and less :rotfl2:

I need to adopt that attitude. Clearly not caring much works wonders for stress - who knew?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter