4 Newbies and 1 Good-As: A February 2024 Lessons Learned TR COMPLETE 4/20/24

Pirates was fun, as always! I realized late we never got our ride photo for it. We’d paid for Memory Maker so I sent in a request to retrieve it, and CMs found it!
You're reminding me I still need to contact Disney to get our Pirates picture! I stopped by the PhotoPass help at the front of the park and they told me Pirates was having a lot of issues with posting pictures. There was a 9 min gap in pictures which happened to be while we were on it, so there's no guarantee I'll get ours, but they gave me a number to call to try.
Supposedly the rear could tilt the carpet but I didn’t notice much of a difference no matter how long/hard I pressed the button.
My daughter was trying to explain that to me! The button did nothing when I pushed it, but she was begging me not to touch it because she said it made the car do something she didn't like.
Unsurprisingly, this ride isn’t worth a 30-minute wait, unless you have a 4-year-old who hasn’t had the best of days so far and expresses something she wants to do. Later she claimed this as her favorite ride of the day so I guess it was worth it to her!
Very worth it in that case!

I am joining in. I had similar bathroom issues with my DD when we went when she was 4. Her issue was that she is afraid of the automatic flush and thought public bathrooms were gross but the flush was the biggest issue. The baby care area was the best in all the parks but EPCOT (might have changed since DD is now 16). The baby care area's all had the small toddler size toilets and they are quieter and no automatic flush. EPCOT at the time still had regular toilets, same as the rest of the park (except Akurshus was not an automatic flush).

We were there the week after you, and I can't wait to read more! I love your writing style and with kids similarly aged (DD5 & DS3, soon to be DS4 in 2 months) I can definitely relate to a lot of your posts/thoughts/experiences! And the bit about the misconstruing of your "I'll check in with the hostess first" text, I totally read it as you intended it, if it's any consolation (of course understanding afterward how your DH mis-interpreted it as "sucks to be you, dad!"). Stressful travel days are the worst!

For touring in general
  • If touring with a younger child, maybe consider using EE to knock out a bunch of the Fantasyland (or TL, if applicable) rides they’ll enjoy. Might start off the day with a happier child, and then you won’t have to return to those rides later/risk missing them entirely.

One note about EE though - Fantasyland EE rope drop is NO JOKE with the overstimulation - people running & pushing/shoving, it can be a nightmare! I got absolutely rocked by another guest and just about fell over while we were rope dropping 7DMT, people take it waaay too seriously and I fear it would upset your daughter. Not sure if you are returning to WDW any time soon, but just food for thought!

Again, I can't wait to read more!

I am joining in. I had similar bathroom issues with my DD when we went when she was 4. Her issue was that she is afraid of the automatic flush and thought public bathrooms were gross but the flush was the biggest issue. The baby care area was the best in all the parks but EPCOT (might have changed since DD is now 16). The baby care area's all had the small toddler size toilets and they are quieter and no automatic flush. EPCOT at the time still had regular toilets, same as the rest of the park (except Akurshus was not an automatic flush).
We always bring a pack of post it notes to cover the sensor for the automatic flush! Not sure if your DD is still young/afraid of the automatic flushers but still worth sharing for anyone passing through and happens to read this!

Works like a charm for kids & adults alike - no one likes their bums being sprayed with gross toilet water!

We always bring a pack of post it notes to cover the sensor for the automatic flush! Not sure if your DD is still young/afraid of the automatic flushers but still worth sharing for anyone passing through and happens to read this!

Works like a charm for kids & adults alike - no one likes their bums being sprayed with gross toilet water!
She is 16 now. Thankfully doing much better but I did have to flush the toilet for her long past the time I should have. We used Mickey stickers. The day we were in EPCOT on the trip when she was 4, I was talking to a cast member by customer services and they had a whole roll of Mickey stickers and said they are great for covering the sensors. They gave me so many of the stickers that I used them for a really long time after the trip. I think I started to run out by our trip 2 years later and stopped to ask for more and they gave me a bunch on that trip too. They were the perfect size and didn't fall off (had that happen with the sticky notes).

You're reminding me I still need to contact Disney to get our Pirates picture! I stopped by the PhotoPass help at the front of the park and they told me Pirates was having a lot of issues with posting pictures. There was a 9 min gap in pictures which happened to be while we were on it, so there's no guarantee I'll get ours, but they gave me a number to call to try.

My daughter was trying to explain that to me! The button did nothing when I pushed it, but she was begging me not to touch it because she said it made the car do something she didn't like.
Good luck getting your Pirates picture! I used the picture request function in the app; didn't get to the point where I had to call. I hope they find it for you! 🤞
Yes, we also have issues with the automatic flush! I didn't mention it, but we took sticky notes with us. (They go everywhere with us these days so I forget about them, lol.) I did at least have sticky notes at MK even though I forgot the owl potty seat!

I had read about the baby care centers but also decided not to rely on those since depending on where you are it can be a trek to get to them. (And I kept finding conflicting info--sounded like some of them may've been renovated and got rid of the toddler size toilets???) We wound up never making it to one, but honestly I am curious just to see them! They sound neat.
We were there the week after you, and I can't wait to read more! I love your writing style and with kids similarly aged (DD5 & DS3, soon to be DS4 in 2 months) I can definitely relate to a lot of your posts/thoughts/experiences! And the bit about the misconstruing of your "I'll check in with the hostess first" text, I totally read it as you intended it, if it's any consolation (of course understanding afterward how your DH mis-interpreted it as "sucks to be you, dad!"). Stressful travel days are the worst!

One note about EE though - Fantasyland EE rope drop is NO JOKE with the overstimulation - people running & pushing/shoving, it can be a nightmare! I got absolutely rocked by another guest and just about fell over while we were rope dropping 7DMT, people take it waaay too seriously and I fear it would upset your daughter. Not sure if you are returning to WDW any time soon, but just food for thought!

Again, I can't wait to read more!
Thank you, welcome! :wave:

WHOA, that's crazy about getting rocked! I guess we were slow-moving enough overall that we never hit the major crowds/pushy people. Thanks for the tip, we'll keep that in mind about Fantasyland EE if we go back while DD4's still on the smaller side/still sensitive to noise and crowds!

She is 16 now. Thankfully doing much better but I did have to flush the toilet for her long past the time I should have. We used Mickey stickers. The day we were in EPCOT on the trip when she was 4, I was talking to a cast member by customer services and they had a whole roll of Mickey stickers and said they are great for covering the sensors. They gave me so many of the stickers that I used them for a really long time after the trip. I think I started to run out by our trip 2 years later and stopped to ask for more and they gave me a bunch on that trip too. They were the perfect size and didn't fall off (had that happen with the sticky notes).
! DD4 would've loved those! If she's still sensitive to the flush whenever we go back I'll see if customer services still offers those.

Day 3: Tuesday February 20: EPCOT! (Part 1 of whatever)

EPCOT day! I love EPCOT; it's my favorite of the parks!

I either managed to sleep 20 minutes later than the day before or I simply refused to get up till 20 minutes later, because the timestamp on my Genie+ purchase was almost 5:30am. Yay.

I’d originally thought we’d do Genie+ at only MK and HS. For EPCOT, I'd read some folks saying the felt it wasn't that helpful considering how far you have to walk to get to the various headliner attractions. But I guess FOMO or something hit, plus that it was “only” $21 pp instead of yesterday’s $35, so I got it.

duckshootmoney.gif
Sure, Disney, take my money!

I finished getting ready, chilled a bit, and I think DH was getting up around 6:30. I have a district memory of telling myself that DD4 needed to be up around 6:45 so I think that’s when I started waking her. Maybe I’d prepped her breakfast to make it easier? I dunno, but I believe we had a repeat of DH was showering as I did the VQ and LL selections.

Repeating the time.gov strategy of the day before, I got me, DH, and FIL BG 75 for Guardians. Next I tried for a Remy or Frozen LL, but didn’t like the times. They were already into the afternoon. I settled for TT at the noon hour and smartly didn’t try to modify this time. (Actually, I think DD4 needed help with breakfast/hair brushing/brushing teeth/otherwise getting ready and I spaced trying to modify.)

The 5 of us were ready and leaving our rooms for the Skyliner by 7:30.

onourway.gif

Y'all (and while my parents are both technically southerners I don't often use that non-facetiously, but I am now), we loved the Skyliner. It's SO easy, especially if you have a stroller. Double-strollers have to be collapsed, if I understand right, but single strollers can roll right on. I saw that sometimes CMs wanted smaller parties to combine in a single gondola, particularly at higher-traffic times, but with us 5 and a stroller we always had one to ourselves.

We arrived at EPCOT by maybe 7:45 and breezed through security.

No problems for MIL and I with the tips we’d gotten the previous day, but I think when actually tapping into the park FIL had some issues with his fingerprint and had to redo it. This later happened to MIL, too, having to redo her fingerprint. I've had issues with my fingerprints in other cases (well, my old iPhone that used the fingerprint thingummy and I kept having to redo my fingerprints) but never did at WDW.

We still made decent time and were toward the front of the crowd waiting for EE. We had maybe 15 more minutes to go, then were let in at an orderly pace. I had the general idea of where to go for France/Remy, but honestly the giant sea of people heading toward France made it kinda hard to get lost.

Another nice thing about the Skyliner is getting dropped at International Gateway for EPCOT. It puts you at a huge advantage for RDing Remy. Even with us being a slower-moving group and toward the middle of the crowd, we still hit the Remy entrance when it was posted as a 30-minute wait, I think.

I don't mind having a bit of a wait because it gives you more time to enjoy the queue!

IMG_0073.JPG

IMG_0075.JPG

Despite the posted wait we were done with Remy maybe 20 minutes after we entered the inside portion of the queue.

The 4 adults in the party enjoyed Remy! I don’t think FIL had been on a trackless ride before so he wound up enjoying it more than he thought he would. It’s a cute/fun ride, and I understand why it’s the most popular LL at EPCOT.

DD4 was not as enthused. After her experience with Philharmagic the day before I told her from the outset she didn’t have to wear the glasses if she didn’t want. She did not want. She had seen Ratatouille a few times but even so she really didn’t like the part about going under the oven, even without wearing the glasses. Maybe in a couple of years she’ll enjoy 3D/4D more, because it really is a fun concept.

From there we headed where everybody else was going, Norway and Frozen. I think the app had the wait at 45 minutes already, but not having an LL I knew the lines were only going to get worse, and since it was the only ride in EPCOT DD4 was really excited about, I wanted to make sure we’d hit it.

However! The path we took was around the top half of WS. It’s technically a slightly longer walk (going through Morocco, Japan, American Adventure, etc.) instead of going through UK, Canada, etc., but our walk was essentially like this the whole time:

IMG_0077.JPG
What sorcery is this?!?! An empty-appearing park during a holiday week!

It was fabulous! Also a little eerie. But really nice not needing to maneuver around people (or, TBH, having other people maneuver around us).

We didn’t plan this, but it also put us directly in the line for Frozen! That’s right, the Frozen line wrapped down by China. If hitting EPCOT on a higher crowd day and you enter from the International Gateway I recommend trying the bottom half of the loop to get to Frozen, unless it’s your first RD destination.

Empty walkways and knowing more or less where I was going meant I actually snapped a couple more pictures!

IMG_0078.JPG
IMG_0080.JPG

By the time we joined the end of the FEA queue the estimated wait was 75 minutes. We decided to stick it out bc again, I knew the wait was unlikely to improve till evening and it was a ride DD4 really wanted. Plus, we had an 11:05 Akershus ADR and the timing was looking like it’d work out well to do FEA then just hang around for that.

During the wait most of the adults needed the restroom. I was last to go and when I was done the rest had already moved into the roped-off section. DH had texted to join them again when they were “back outside” which I took to mean they’d been under an overhang or something because I saw them outside. I talked to the CM, pointed out my party, and she let me duck under the ropes into oncoming traffic—er, people. I waited for the rest to catch up to me, at which point DH said he meant the outside lane of the roped queue. Which yes, would’ve been easier for me to join them there!
IMG_0082.JPG

2024-02-20 - Epcot - Frozen ever after.jpg

FEA is a fun ride; definite improvement over the Viking boat ride it used to be when I was last at WDW in 2008. I’m really impressed with the current generation of animatronics; Elsa’s arms move so fluidly.

DD4 watched ride-throughs of this one pretty heavily so she knew to expect the drop. I think she was protecting herself from the splash here.

Oh, all, front-row riding is in effect! Not sure if it "counts" as much on boat rides as on coasters, but there we are.

We exited into the gift shop (DD4's favorite part of the ride-throughs) and DD4 picked out an Olaf bubble wand.

As I type out souvenir after souvenir for her I'm thinking it's time we set her up with an allowance and have her buy her trip souvenirs from that!

I believe I'm at my photo limit and it's about time to leave to pick up DD4 from preschool, so this is a good stopping point.

Next up: Akershus!

Y'all (and while my parents are both technically southerners I don't often use that non-facetiously, but I am now), we loved the Skyliner. It's SO easy, especially if you have a stroller.
The skyliner is amazing!! We loved it too. Glad the timing in the morning worked out. We also got Genie+ for Epcot, any time saved feels worth it for us!

The Skyliner is the smartest thing did ever did. I wish they would build a few more lines. :)

However! The path we took was around the top half of WS. It’s technically a slightly longer walk (going through Morocco, Japan, American Adventure, etc.) instead of going through UK, Canada, etc., but our walk was essentially like this the whole time:
I love walking through the World Showcase when it is empty. In fact, I love walking through all the parks when they are empty. :)

Norway is a long walk from the International Gateway. But at least ou didn't have to fight the crowds going the other route.

I bought Genie+ for Epcot when we had brought a "first-timer" who wanted to see everything. We roped dropped Test Track and then had Genie+ for the rest. My original LL for Remy was mid-afternoon, but I was surprised how easy it was to get earlier times for it and Frozen. :)

I’m enjoying you trip report. can’t wait for more.
Thanks! I may not be able to post again till after Easter, but we’ll see. :)

The skyliner is amazing!! We loved it too. Glad the timing in the morning worked out.

The Skyliner is the smartest thing did ever did. I wish they would build a few more lines. :)

Our TA told us that her daughter’s favorite “ride” was the Skyliner, and while DD4 didn’t get quite to that level she certainly balked at riding the bus again once we’d used Skyliner for Epcot. (I think MK day had bus novelty, but she definitely didn’t enjoy the crowded night bus.)

My husband wants Skyliner to all the parks! I’d love it, too, though I’m terrible at estimating how long it’d take to get to MK or MK from CBR—I’m guessing 30 minutes, at least? And I’m not sure the geography/terrain would work for the infrastructure necessary. But I’m no engineer.

I love walking through the World Showcase when it is empty. In fact, I love walking through all the parks when they are empty. :)

Norway is a long walk from the International Gateway. But at least ou didn't have to fight the crowds going the other route.

It was lovely! I’m not sure we’ll be able to get many park-empty days, now that DD4 will be starting Kindergarten and we’ll be beholden to the school break schedule. But the WS emptiness on our route was a nice surprise!

Last edited:
Absolutely loving your report - both writing style and the theme of lessons learned. And I too am a footnote fan! I'm also very impressed by how much research you clearly did before the trip. Kudos to you!! Rough start to the trip with the stress of getting to A&C and then MK rides being a bit of a let-down to your daughter not to mention potty issues! Day 2 seems to be headed in a much better direction. She's absolutely adorable pulling down her hood to avoid the splash!

Absolutely loving your report - both writing style and the theme of lessons learned. And I too am a footnote fan! I'm also very impressed by how much research you clearly did before the trip. Kudos to you!! Rough start to the trip with the stress of getting to A&C and then MK rides being a bit of a let-down to your daughter not to mention potty issues! Day 2 seems to be headed in a much better direction. She's absolutely adorable pulling down her hood to avoid the splash!
Thank you, glad you're enjoying! Yes, Epcot wound up being wonderful overall!

Day 3: Tuesday February 20: EPCOT! (Part 2)

When I left off we had just finished FEA and shopped in the gift shop, where DD4 picked out her soon-to-be much beloved Olaf bubble wand.

We finished shopping, and still had maybe 30 minutes before we could check in for Akershus.* I checked the Meet Anna and Elsa wait in the app. 70 minutes(!) definitely too long before Akershus. DD4 had been iffy on if she wanted to meet them so I figured we’d do Akershus and see where it was at after.

We’d scheduled Akershus for the breakfast menu because 1) It was cheaper than lunch/dinner and 2) I figured DD4 would enjoy the menu more. This was going to be her first time meeting characters, since we hadn’t fit any in at MK (which was just as well because I’d forgotten the book we were using for signatures). I wasn’t sure how she’d do. With new people it takes her a while to warm up, but she knew the princesses from their movies.

Final verdict: she loved it! Character meals are expensive but I’m so glad we did this. (Although in full disclosure, MIL and FIL covered a majority of the meals, Akershus included, since DH and I covered the vacation package).

screenshotN&B.png
Ugh, experimenting with different options to try to make photo editing go faster--excuse this one being extra blurry

DD4 seemed a little starstruck, and I think she left her jacket on as a comfort thing (note also how the ears keep coming off then on again; she wanted then didn't want, etc.), but she was all smiles when the princesses came out and meeting them was her favorite part of EPCOT. Play pretend has involved “having breakfast” and various characters “coming to our table” to meet us since then.
IMG_0091.png

IMG_0093.JPG
N&SnowW.png
N&Ariel.png

Princesses were obviously Belle, Aurora, Rapunzel, Snow White, and Ariel. Belle asked about Nova’s favorite story and Ariel if she liked her tail or legs best, since DD4 was wearing her Ariel/mermaid dress that day. Legs, DD4 said, after some additional prompting from me.

We also took the autograph card for the princesses who weren't present, Cinderella, Tiana, Mulan, and Jasmine. Though looking at the card I see Rapunzel isn't included--maybe she's a recent addition to Akershus?

IMG_0328.JPG

I was also amazed at how well the CM's signatures in our book matched the "official" signatures on the card. For example, here's Ariel's page in our book.
IMG_0318.JPG
Everything's added down to the little bubbles and the swirly embellishment! Lots of training required to be a princess!

I didn't get many good pictures of the princess promenade (or whatever it's called) at the end, but I thought this one of Ariel twirling turned out well:
IMG_0105.JPG

After all the princesses had come to our table I took DD4 to the restroom. This became routine; restaurant bathrooms tend to be a little smaller and quieter than the other park restrooms so DD4 had an easier time relaxing in them. But a park restroom might’ve been fine anyway, DD4 was very happy after meeting all the princesses!

Oh, um, I should probably mention something about the food. It was fine! A decent breakfast spread, and one we appreciated after our mornings of granola bars/yogurt/cereal/whatever doesn't need heating. But of course I have no pictures.

Anyway, I think everybody knows that with the character meals you're generally paying for the character greets, not the food.

Sometime during brunch I made our next LL, for Soarin. Remy and Frozen were unsurprisingly gone, but I doubted we’d want to walk back to WS later anyway.

Once we were done at Akershus I checked the wait for Anna and Elsa. Down to 35, and DD4 had had such a good time with the princesses I thought it’d be good to do since we were so close to it. Our actual wait was more like 20 minutes. It was another good meet! I appreciated that Elsa got down closer to DD4’s level. I didn’t hear much of what they said—she might’ve also asked about favorite stories? But DD4 was again smiling and starstruck the whole time.

2024-02-20 - Epcot - Frozen_16.jpg

The photo boxes are a little womp-womp though.

Also, the handlers here were very efficient—helped page to the right spot in our book for both Elsa and Anna, and Anna’s handler had her sign the book while we were wrapping up with Elsa.

I also missed Anna’s convo with DD4, but she again was smiling and happy.
2024-02-20 - Epcot - Frozen_4.jpg

So we got meets and signatures with 5 princesses and 2 queens in the space of about 90 minutes (maybe slightly more). Works for me!

This took us to our TT return window, which we were headed to next. TBC in the next post, as I've hit the photo limit (as well as my tolerance for fighting with my aging computer to resize and edit photos...)

Footnote
*Am I the only one who misspells Akershus? Throughout my trip notes I spelled it Askerhus and I had to correct it every single time (edit: including ones that slipped past me in posting this. Fixed now, I hope...).

Last edited:
Final verdict: she loved it! Character meals are expensive but I’m so glad we did this.
Character meals are super fun when you have kids who are into the characters. We have done several of them and always had fun. I agree with you that the food isn't as important as the experience. And breakfast seems like the "safest" meal. I'm glad your daughter enjoyed it. :P
I was also amazed at how well the CM's signatures in our book matched the "official" signatures on the card. For example, here's Ariel's page in our book.
I read a book by a former CM who played the characters and he said that they had to practice the signatures until they were a perfect match. :)

Character meals are super fun when you have kids who are into the characters. We have done several of them and always had fun. I agree with you that the food isn't as important as the experience. And breakfast seems like the "safest" meal. I'm glad your daughter enjoyed it. :P
It was fabulous! Our two character meals (we had one more on our departure day) were some of the best experiences of our trip.

I read a book by a former CM who played the characters and he said that they had to practice the signatures until they were a perfect match. :)
I believe it!

Day 3: Tuesday February 20: EPCOT! (Part 3)

With our Test Track return window in effect, we headed that way. MIL was nervous about this one but was a trooper and tried it anyway. DD4 liked designing a car, didn’t like that we didn’t get “her” yellow one (mom fail that I hadn’t adequately described what designing it meant), and didn’t like the inside, dark part of the ride but enjoyed the outside part.

2024-02-20 - Epcot - Test track.jpeg

I forgot to take a picture of our car design but I did get a pic of it being one of the "most responsive vehicles" (our design is the yellow one at the right).
IMG_0106.JPG

My take on TT: I prefer Radiator Springs Racers at Disneyland. I’m more of a theming fan and don’t really care about the design part/“road testing.” RSR has really cute ride vehicles and the theming scenery is much more interesting. Still, TT's fine if the wait’s not too long, but I don’t consider this a must-do.

I might’ve gotten us all M:S LLs around now.

Our Guardians VQ had been estimated as 15 minutes to wait when we entered TT. It was still at 15 minutes when we left. They claimed to be boarding up through group 73; we were 75.

Since we were in the area we stuck around a bit, doing bathroom runs (and maybe some got snacks at this point? Can’t recall for sure). However, after 30 minutes of the “15 minute wait” I figured the ride was down and that we should go ahead and do our Soarin LL.

That turned out to be a wise call. Maybe 30-60 minutes later the app changed to “not boarding,” close to 90 minutes after I think the ride had stopped (since they hadn't been calling new BGs for a while).

Journey of Water was on the way, and since we had a good amount of time left on our Soarin' return time, we walked through it. It’s really cool! DD4 enjoyed the interactive water features.

IMG_0107.jpg

IMG_0110.JPG

IMG_0123.JPG

And as I’m writing this at home after a somewhat frustrating day at the museum, complete with an older child shoving his way in front of DH as he held up DD4 to get a better look at a gem exhibit, I’ll mention that all our encounters with fellow guests at WDW were fairly pleasant. At JoW, parents, far from ignoring the poor behavior of their children, were good about instructing their kids to allow DD4 have a turn with the water features. Good job, parents!

It’s also clear that Imagineers have always paid attention to crowd control and management. Thinking of our musuem experience, I’m not sure how much of it was “spring break crowds at the museum” but everything felt so much more noisy and crowded there than at WDW. In general, I don’t mind waiting in full/busy queues—so long as they’re orderly and I’m otherwise feeling good (not dehydrated or hungry and relatively well-rested—more on that when I get to our AK day).

Anyway, I loved JoW and think it’s a prime example of a walkthrough attraction. 👍

Our Journey of Water complete, it was time for Soarin'!

We'd had to park the stroller before JoW, and I think we just left it there as we walked to The Land. While heading up the slope to the pavilion, DH and I each held one of DD4’s hands while MIL and FIL followed behind.

It is VERY GOOD that DH had a hand free, because he caught a runaway stroller with a sleepy child inside it! The family (multigeneration, they all had matching shirts) had paused to consult the map or make their plans or something. I’m sure they felt the ground where they were was even enough, to let go of the stroller, but… it wasn’t!

So DH caught the stroller and stopped it from careening into some of the foliage, or worse, down into the pond/the fence surrounding the pond.

Here's my Very Serious, Very Professional visual aid:
runaway stroller path.png

The family was very grateful and some onlookers said something like “Way to go, Dad!” And the sleepy kid was calm the entire time.

All’s well that ends well, but parents/guardians, please remember to put the brakes on your child’s stroller if you are stopping anywhere near a slope! Better yet, make it a habit to put on the brakes whenever stopping, period. (Which I admit I should be better about, but I am always very cautious when near/on slopes.)

PSA complete, let’s get back to Soarin.’

MIL was a little unsure about this ride, probably more so after I’d subjected her to TT, but I said I found it relaxing (which I do). DH and I had seen the CA version when we went to DLR in October 2022 so that was a repeat for us, but it was fine. We were in the bottom row/bottom glider which isn’t my favorite, but I thought it might make DD4 feel more secure. The ride was fine. I think the scent of the orange groves wasn’t working though; none of us remembered smelling it. Soarin’ is another one I’m fine doing if the wait isn’t too long, but it's also not a must-do for me. However no one was traumatized from it, so yay!

DD4 later said she enjoyed this; I’d described it as “a giant swing” and that satisfied her. This was maybe her 2nd favorite EP ride after FEA.

As Guardians was still down and we were nearby Living with the Land, which had a posted 10 min standby line, we went over there. The wait was probably more like 5 minutes.

I enjoy LwtL; it’s neat to hear the little details about how Epcot grows vegetables for the entire resort and some their sustainability efforts like putting fish and plants into a self-sustaining biome thingummy. (Yes I know my terminology is way off, which is why I should probably do that full Seeds tour sometime.) DD4 also enjoyed looking for some hidden mickeys. I apparently failed to take any pictures, though.

Next it was back to World: Discovery for our Mission: Space LL. We stuck with the Green side; DD4 is still too short for Orange. MIL said that if DH and I wanted to do Orange she could watch DD4, but we declined. We wanted DD4 to ride this one too.

DD4 was navigator, I was pilot, and DH was commander. Then I guess it was engineer that was empty? Not many callers for single riders on the green side!

DD4 later said she liked this, though during the ride I had to prod her to try pushing buttons. Navigator had several computer overrides, but we safely circumnavigated the planet or whatever it was we were doing. I think MIL and FIL enjoyed this one all right too, but I don’t have notes about what roles they got.

We got out of M:S and into a spot with decent reception to discover our BG for Guardians had been called 4 minutes ago! I’d been getting worried the ride would be down the rest of the day and we wouldn’t get to ride. DD4 couldn’t last till park closing so there was a good chance that if Guardians stayed down into the evening, we’d miss it entirely.

cryingunicorn.gif

However, the timing was PERFECT! We were already in World Discovery so just had to walk over. We (meaning me, DH, and FIL) headed toward the side with the most people but soon learned that was the ILL queue. We continued around to the VQ side, which at this point was a far shorter line than ILL. I felt so bad for the ILL people! 3 hours' worth of ILLs who were owed their spot that they paid for, but also… well as DH likes to say, “It’s better to be lucky than good.”

We tapped in pretty quickly. The queue was so empty we could speed through it, which makes it harder to take pictures but I managed a couple.

IMG_0125.JPG

IMG_0127.JPG

I’ve seen Disney fairly criticized for the repetition of some of the more recent ride storylines, which tend to go “You, Guest, are embarking on a "mild" but enjoyable activity--until something goes horribly wrong and it’s up to you to help [the Guardians/the Resistance/Spiderman/insert hero] fix it!” And Guardians follows that, what with visiting Xandar and then Eson (yes I did need to double-check his name) interrupting and putting the universe at risk, etc. etc.

You know what? I don’t care.

I loved this ride. It’s my current favorite ride in all of WDW. I love the way the individual cars spin, feeling like you’re really in space, and the music is a cool addition. (We got “September” which wouldn’t have been my pick, but still. Very cool!)

2024-02-20 - Epcot - Guardians of the galaxy cosmic rewind.jpeg

90 minutes is generally the max I’d wait for a ride, and the ride itself then has to be worth it to me. (RotR the first time was worth our 90-minute wait.) I’m super glad we had the VQ for Guardians and didn’t need to wait that long to ride, but I suspect that if I’d had to wait that long anyway, I would’ve deemed it worth it. Superb coaster, though I’m sure the spinning plus the reverse launch make it more complicated and thus more prone to breakdowns.

It was too late for us to get an ILL at this point, but next time I’d seriously consider it, esp. if we’re again only spending one day in Epcot.

Photo limit again! Looks like I'll have a part 4, then should be done with Epcot.

Day 3: Tuesday February 20: EPCOT! (Part 4)

Once the three of us were finished cosmically rewinding, we reconvened as a group and to The Seas with Nemo. I think I’d grabbed an LL but it probably wasn’t necessary; I think the standby was posted as 10 or 15 minutes. There’s not much to say about this one; it’s cute. But it’s one where I’d wait 30 min max, and 20 or under preferred. DD4 enjoyed it, though, and insisted we go to the gift shop, since it’s included in the video we’ve watched of it most often.

(Well honestly, she'd've wanted the gift shop even without the videos. But she did say "Let's go to the gift shop in the video!" so it stuck out.)

She picked out a Squirt plushie...

squirt-baby-turtle-9kfhxrei0t81n6cw.jpg
Squirt!

... which has been renamed Squirtle after DH’s memory bank pulled up the name of a Pokémon instead.

squirtle.jpg
Not Squirt.

Even though I immediately corrected this grievous mistake, DD4 proclaimed she likes the name Squirtle better, so we're stuck.

A Turtle Talk with Crush was starting up, which in hindsight we should’ve skipped. DD4 was getting tired and hungry, and she doesn’t like being separated from her family in unfamiliar places. So she sat with us on the benches instead of up front with the other kids, and I wasn’t able to pay much attention to Crush’s interactions with the kids; most of my attention was on DD4 and trying to keep her from being too disruptive with “I want to goooooo” complaints. If we’d gotten a snack before maybe she would’ve been okay, or she might’ve just been getting too tired.

Seeing that DD4 was at her limit and having last had a Mickey bar (perhaps with MIL while us other three were cosmically rewinding) maybe 3-4 hours ago, we decided to get food and then call it a night.

There weren’t many options in UK/Canada, which we wanted to at least walk through on the way back to International Gateway since we hadn’t yet, but also MIL’s leg was really starting to bother her.

So she and FIL wound up heading out ahead of us while DH, DD4, and I headed to Mexico for food.

On the way I took my last photo of the night:

IMG_0129.JPG

Once in Mexico, DH and I stopped at Choza de Margarita for some eponymous drinks. I got the seasonal which had cranberry in it. I didn’t like it till I got to the bottom of it. DH got the Top Shelf; he enjoyed his.

Drinks acquired, we picked up meals at La Cantina de San Angel. Once again I have no food pics, but DH got chicken tacos, I got cheese empanadas, and DD4 had her standby, mac & cheese. Turned out she was pretty hungry because she polished that off and even ate part of one of my empanadas.

During dinner I also discovered I’d lost my sunglasses. I had a vague memory of them on my head and me trying to fit them in a pocket, but having trouble, except I couldn't focus on that because we were headed to the next thing. So I think I might’ve dropped them at this point, but no idea exactly when/where. Oh well; they’d cost me something like $20 at Wal-Mart and I’d had them for at least 10 years, I think. I got my money’s worth.

Kensunglasses.gif
Two pairs of sunglasses short of being able to do this.

Food in our bellies, we headed for the Skyliner. DD4 fell asleep in the stroller on the way.

In hindsight, I think this was my favorite day of the week. I love Epcot and hope we can spend 2 days there next time we go.

Items on touring plan we wound up skipping: Figment, Spaceship Earth. Our TA had also told us about scavenger hunt sheets you can get at the gift shops for $10 and the passport DD4 could’ve gotten stamped in each of the countries. They weren't officially on our touring plan but I'd kept them in the back of my mind.

My biggest Epcot regret is that we had no time for things like that or for exploring WS in particular. When I went in 2008 my friends and I still only had one day, but on a non-holiday week and being young and not having a stroller or preschooler, we were able to explore more, see Voices of Liberty, the whole thing. Much as I’m glad we today hit all the headliners, I really would’ve liked to spend more time exploring.

Anyway, we got back to the room around 8:30 I think, discovered MIL and FIL had ordered in some pizza from a place that had left a flyer, said our good nights and managed lights out by 9:30.

Day 3 Lessons Learned
  • Walking south side of WS early morning is a lovely experience for those who like empty/less crowded parks.
  • If you want time to explore Epcot as well as hit all the rides, plan for 2 days, especially if touring with a young child
  • If you’re a coaster fan and do fine with spinning, plan to ride Guardians twice, using VQ and ILL
  • Character meals, while expensive, enable you to knock out a bunch of character greets in a short amount of time, and if your kid is a character fan they will consider you the best parent ever (not really, because at 4 they don’t wholly understand the effort you put in to make it so, but you can pretend. And the warm fuzzies you get watching your child with them are just the same, anyhow.)
Next up: No parks; it's our break day!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter