4 Halloween parties in 10 days in August

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh, I wasn't considering that there would be Halloween parties during our 8/15 - 8/23 stay. I love the parade and the Hocus Pocus show but with two kids and a DH that get tired early I can't see it being worth the money. Plus wearing costumes in the August swampiness sounds less than appealing. We actually have a MK planned on the day of a party, and I think I'll keep it to have the smaller crowds. We'll just have to plan to see Happily Ever After on our other MK day.

ETA - Have the prices been announced? I can't find it on the website.

Last edited:
The hidden secret to party days is that they're the absolute best days to spend at Magic Kingdom when you're not attending a party. We went in December and there was a monumental difference between crowds on party days versus non-party days. To the point that I'd say don't visit MK on a non-party day.

Of course, you also miss the fireworks by doing that, so maybe plan a night at MK if you have hoppers.

We've been avoiding "party season" as much as possible for years because of the impact of all those early closures on crowd patterns. I hate seeing that the season is creeping into summer! At least they haven't come up with a successful post-Christmas party idea yet... We were there once during the Pirate & Princess Party trial and while the party was a really good time (because no one went!) I'm very glad it didn't catch on and we can still book trips for the first half of the year without worrying about party schedules.

We've done the MNSSHP at the end of August the last two years and really enjoyed it. 2 years the first party was the Friday of Labour Day weekend. Last year, the first one moved up a week and if the speculation proves true, it will be a week earlier again this year? Is it too early? Arguably so, but the truth is those end of August parties sell really well and are popular so why wouldn't Disney push it even further? I do get the frustration though if you have no interest in the party and chose your dates specifically to avoid it. Although, I think I would probably take the, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em approach and just attend the party. It's a fantastic experience and gives you a lot of extra/late time in MK.

No, they won't be week before Christmas crowded, but I can attest that even during slower times, the HEA nights are a madhouse with the party schedule. Most people aren't there for 10 nights, and for many they only have one or maybe two nights that they can even choose to go see it. It will be PACKED no matter what the crowd calendar says.

We saw HEA in late August on a non-party night and were also there the week before Christmas last year. In terms of crowds, it's apples and oranges.

You guys have me reconsidering my strategy the week after labour day. I was going to do EMH on a Thursday AM at Epcot. Then EMH at MK on the Friday. Hopping for both in mid-afternoon. Now I am considering reversing those days as the party day is predicted to be Thursday. An extra hour of less heat vs less crowds. I don't believe Touring Plans 2/10 for the Friday.

It’s ridiculous to have Halloween in August ... especially in Florida where the heat is unbearable in August as a Florida resident you couldn’t pay me to go to Disney in August .. nope .. and no way could I get in the “ holiday spirit “ in August lol

It’s ridiculous to have Halloween in August ... especially in Florida where the heat is unbearable in August as a Florida resident you couldn’t pay me to go to Disney in August .. nope .. and no way could I get in the “ holiday spirit “ in August lol
Some people don’t have the flexibility to go at another time. Obviously people are willing to pay for the party in August and Disney is going to take advantage of that.

Many families in the North East don't have the option of being in Disney in September or October because their kids are in school. Those families typically head back home around the last week of August, so having parties in the middle of the month opens up an entire new demographic for Disney. Our family is one that will most certainly pay for a Halloween party in August, since that is the only time we could possibly go to one.

As I mentioned in my prior post, my trip is in 8 days they just updated the hours last week! It will change!
Yup, they seem to be adjusting them constantly as they figure out crowd sizes and things. Our AK day had the eveninghours extended within 30 days out, then the morning hours extended a week ahead, and THEN they extended the evening by another hour midday!! We arrived at the park with a 9 pm close that morning, went back to the pool, came back at 5 pm and suddenly the posted signs all said 10 pm.

It seems that if people are there, they will extend the hours. And that was February, Mardi Gras week but not Presidents' Day, early sunsets, cooler weather (ok, it was unusually hot, but still). I would think in August evening hour extensions would be even more likely.

Yup, they seem to be adjusting them constantly as they figure out crowd sizes and things. Our AK day had the eveninghours extended within 30 days out, then the morning hours extended a week ahead, and THEN they extended the evening by another hour midday!! We arrived at the park with a 9 pm close that morning, went back to the pool, came back at 5 pm and suddenly the posted signs all said 10 pm.

It seems that if people are there, they will extend the hours. And that was February, Mardi Gras week but not Presidents' Day, early sunsets, cooler weather (ok, it was unusually hot, but still). I would think in August evening hour extensions would be even more likely.

Exactly! They are moving and changing the times all the time! Prepare for the shorter hours but it probably won’t stay like that for long!

I’m so glad we don’t have to deal with the party malarkey in May.

Cue:

Mickey’s Marvelous Maypole Masterpiece Party (MMMMP)!!!

Join Mickey and his friends for a joyous Maypole party to celebrate the arrival of spring. Special friends include Minnie with a flower in her hair, Peter Pan, Anna, Elsa, and Olaf. Enjoy special springtime treats like Mickey Bars and Dolewhip! See Tink carry a Maypole as she flies out of the castle. This exciting party will run nightly (starting at noon) in MK this springtime (Jan 4th thru Aug 21st). For a limited time only, this party will cost 1 firstborn for a family of 4 (well, 3) or an arm and a leg for club level resort guests. To get your tickets call 1-800-Disney or log on thru MDE.​

Oh no. They heard me.

I’m so glad we don’t have to deal with the party malarkey in May.

Cue:

Mickey’s Marvelous Maypole Masterpiece Party (MMMMP)!!!

Join Mickey and his friends for a joyous Maypole party to celebrate the arrival of spring. Special friends include Minnie with a flower in her hair, Peter Pan, Anna, Elsa, and Olaf. Enjoy special springtime treats like Mickey Bars and Dolewhip! See Tink carry a Maypole as she flies out of the castle. This exciting party will run nightly (starting at noon) in MK this springtime (Jan 4th thru Aug 21st). For a limited time only, this party will cost 1 firstborn for a family of 4 (well, 3) or an arm and a leg for club level resort guests. To get your tickets call 1-800-Disney or log on thru MDE.​

Oh no. They heard me.

That is great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Many families in the North East don't have the option of being in Disney in September or October because their kids are in school. Those families typically head back home around the last week of August, so having parties in the middle of the month opens up an entire new demographic for Disney. Our family is one that will most certainly pay for a Halloween party in August, since that is the only time we could possibly go to one.

I get that but why not make it some type of “ summer celebration “ or “ end of summer “ themed party? Living in Florida I can’t even fathom being in costume during the hottest month of the year .. how miserable for all the cute kids that get dressed up in hot itchy princess costumes and make up .. yikes .. poor babies lol I mean it’s crazy hot and humid in August in central Florida ..I feel awful seeing little kids in big hot dresses or masked Star Wars characters sweating and crying ( and parents get annoyed at the crying ) and possibly end up and first aid for heat stroke .. adults have trouble staying cool in August much less kids in costumes .
A cute back to school theme or something could give people a after hours party without the heavy costumes .. I just cringe when I see little girls right out of BBB in princess dresses , make up and hairspray sweating like crazy .. :( I’m not against after hours parties at all but it should definitely be season appropriate.

Last edited:
I get that but why not make it some type of “ summer celebration “ or “ end of summer “ themed party? Living in Florida I can’t even fathom being in costume during the hottest month of the year .. how miserable for all the cute kids that get dressed up in hot itchy princess costumes and make up .. yikes .. poor babies lol I mean it’s crazy hot and humid in August in central Florida ..I feel awful seeing little kids in big hot dresses or masked Star Wars characters sweating and crying ( and parents get annoyed at the crying ) and possibly end up and first aid for heat stroke .. adults have trouble staying cool in August much less kids in costumes .
A cute back to school theme or something could give people a after hours party without the heavy costumes .. I just cringe when I see little girls right out of BBB in princess dresses , make up and hairspray sweating like crazy .. :( I’m not against after hours parties at all but it should definitely be season appropriate.

We get around this by wearing lightweight costumes that use shorts or a skirt instead of long pants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!