20th Anniversary Trip... what do we do?!

Superchikk

No capes!
My husband and I are celebrating our 20th anniversary this year, and we're leaving the kids at home (yes, they're mad) and enjoying a trip to Disney alone! However, we've never done Disney just the two of us. We're excited, but I have no idea how to actually plan our days... or if I even should beyond an ADR here and there. We don't drink, so F&W isn't a big deal for us.

We'll arrive on a Saturday, leave the following Friday. Staying at the Contemporary. We'll spend 1 day at Universal/IoA, and have 4 full Disney days, plus 1 extra park ticket day (We were able to get 4 day PH + 1 free day from UT) that we can use either the evening of our arrival day or morning of our departure.

I know we want to: spend more time in the World Showcase than we normally get to, explore Toy Story Land (along with everyone else), and eat at a couple of nice places. But I have no idea how/what to plan beyond that.

Do we just wing it? The thought of not having each day scheduled kind of makes me twitch. Talk to me, adult travelers. Calm me and my Type A personality down!

It depends on what you are into:
sports: golf, mini-golf, fishing, marathon, bowling, ESPN Club, WWS/ESPN Zone, etc
shopping: DTD, area outlet malls, large scale malls
drinking: Jellyrolls, Raglan Road, monorail tour of resorts, walking tour of resorts in the Boardwalk area
movies: DTD 24 screen theater some with meals served by waiters
night clubbing: Jellyrolls, Atlantic Dance, Raglan Road, Citywalk
resort tours: monorail tour of resorts, Boardwalk around the lake tour of resorts, horse drawn tour of FWC, AKL/AKV
offsite: Gaylord Palms Resort, Citywalk, swamp tour
eating: Formal GF 5* Chef's Table @ V&As

Congrats on the anniversary!!!

I wanted to keep our honeymoon last year more relaxed but I couldn't take not planning. So I did plan some dining and fastpasses but we also tried to not do too much scheduling and go with the flow. Spend some time at the hotel by the pool during the afternoon, and spent some evenings just enjoying the parks without having to ride attractions.

We also made a point to see a nighttime show in each park. We found it to be nice to find our spot, stop and relax, and enjoy a good view of the show (Happily Ever After, Illuminations, Fantasmic, and RoL).

A lot of world showcase time is always a good idea imo, and eating at Brown Derby would be one of my suggestions for dining. (Our waiter brought us a complimentary champaign toast when he found out we were celebrating!)

Also some nice evening walks around the Boardwalk Resort area was a lot of fun.

Congrats on the anniversary!!!

I wanted to keep our honeymoon last year more relaxed but I couldn't take not planning. So I did plan some dining and fastpasses but we also tried to not do too much scheduling and go with the flow. Spend some time at the hotel by the pool during the afternoon, and spent some evenings just enjoying the parks without having to ride attractions.

We also made a point to see a nighttime show in each park. We found it to be nice to find our spot, stop and relax, and enjoy a good view of the show (Happily Ever After, Illuminations, Fantasmic, and RoL).

A lot of world showcase time is always a good idea imo, and eating at Brown Derby would be one of my suggestions for dining. (Our waiter brought us a complimentary champaign toast when he found out we were celebrating!)

Also some nice evening walks around the Boardwalk Resort area was a lot of fun.

Oh, there's no way I can leave FP unplanned! It would literally make me twitch. Ha! I have no idea what we'll do other than that, but I'm really looking forward to evenings in the parks. We typically don't do a ton in the evenings because the kids are about DONE, and I'm looking forward to just hanging out. We do want to see fireworks everywhere - I'm trying to decide if it's going to wear us out to do rope drop every morning and then fireworks/shows every night. Maybe a good afternoon nap will be in order. ;)

It depends on what you are into:
sports: golf, mini-golf, fishing, marathon, bowling, ESPN Club, WWS/ESPN Zone, etc
shopping: DTD, area outlet malls, large scale malls
drinking: Jellyrolls, Raglan Road, monorail tour of resorts, walking tour of resorts in the Boardwalk area
movies: DTD 24 screen theater some with meals served by waiters
night clubbing: Jellyrolls, Atlantic Dance, Raglan Road, Citywalk
resort tours: monorail tour of resorts, Boardwalk around the lake tour of resorts, horse drawn tour of FWC, AKL/AKV
offsite: Gaylord Palms Resort, Citywalk, swamp tour
eating: Formal GF 5* Chef's Table @ V&As

Thanks for all the suggestions - some of those things I wouldn't have thought of!

I wing it every trip and have been doing it for years. You might enjoy F&W even if you don't drink, the booths all have food which is fun to sample and there are a few culinary demos in the Festival Center that are sometimes fun. You watch a chef make something then get to sample it .

As far as ADRs, we never make them earlier than a day in advance, most of the time it's the day of while walking around. Other than BOG, which we aren't interested in anyway, we have always been able to get something.

We do FPs the same way, while standing in line for a ride, I'll hop on MDE and see what is available. We go often so if we don't get to ride something, it's no big deal. As adults, we find we spend more time just enjoying the place, actually taking the time to look at the details that are everywhere.

We also spend a lot of time just relaxing, we go to the pool just about every afternoon, we resort hop and visit the other resorts. It's the perfect time to go slow and let it all come easy.

We went for our 20th too and had a great time but I did make fast passes. We enjoyed La Nouba, the spa @AKL and wonderful ADRs. But most importantly.... we took naps

I wing it every trip and have been doing it for years. You might enjoy F&W even if you don't drink, the booths all have food which is fun to sample and there are a few culinary demos in the Festival Center that are sometimes fun. You watch a chef make something then get to sample it .

As far as ADRs, we never make them earlier than a day in advance, most of the time it's the day of while walking around. Other than BOG, which we aren't interested in anyway, we have always been able to get something.

We do FPs the same way, while standing in line for a ride, I'll hop on MDE and see what is available. We go often so if we don't get to ride something, it's no big deal. As adults, we find we spend more time just enjoying the place, actually taking the time to look at the details that are everywhere.

We also spend a lot of time just relaxing, we go to the pool just about every afternoon, we resort hop and visit the other resorts. It's the perfect time to go slow and let it all come easy.

I'm so hoping I can let myself just relax and enjoy! But it's nice to know that if we don't make a bunch of ADRs, there's hope for finding things we want. We're not actually interested in BOG since the menu/format change, so that one will be easy to skip, unfortunately. I tried to talk my husband into Le Cellier and he's more interested in La Hacienda. Suits me fine!

We went for our 20th too and had a great time but I did make fast passes. We enjoyed La Nouba, the spa @AKL and wonderful ADRs. But most importantly.... we took naps

Naps sound wonderful! I think we may do the Keys to the Kingdom tour. We'd never do it with the kids!

It's usually just DH and myself when we go do Disney. We usually plan some fast passes each day for our favorite rides and maybe an ADR here or there. But then we just wing it. We just go with the flow of whatever we feel like doing. We will usually get to a park mid-morning and hang around until 1 or 2. Then go back to the resort for a nap. Then we might go back to a park in the evening. Or we might take in a round or two of mini-golf. Or watch a movie on the lawn at the resort.

Have a great trip!

It's usually just DH and myself when we go do Disney. We usually plan some fast passes each day for our favorite rides and maybe an ADR here or there. But then we just wing it. We just go with the flow of whatever we feel like doing. We will usually get to a park mid-morning and hang around until 1 or 2. Then go back to the resort for a nap. Then we might go back to a park in the evening. Or we might take in a round or two of mini-golf. Or watch a movie on the lawn at the resort.

Have a great trip!

Thanks! We sat down the other night and discussed our ADRs. We have fewer TS places than I thought we would, and are just planning to hop to our favorite QS places. I think I'm going to enjoy kind of winging it, but I don't know if I can manage my nervous energy until then. Ha!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter