1st trip in a month, scrambling after TA blow off!

iheartjuppy

Mouseketeer
We are headed down to Universal for our first trip next month, which was a fairly last minute decision so I had hoped to use a reputable TA to get us the best deal and any perks associated. I submitted a quote request to Dreams Unlimited in mid-Septemberand got a response saying they’d reach out with my quote shortly. Two weeks went by with no word, so I wrote directly to the agent asking for an update and she finally responded that there was no onsite availability, and that I would have to select off site resorts other dates which was false because I had checked all Express Pass resorts and all had availability.

By then it was basically the pay in full date so I booked directly online without a promo and certainly missed out on savings opportunities. Bummed but moving past it to plan our first trip on my own.

We are going the weekend before Thanksgiving (Saturday evening to Tuesday midday) staying club level HRH with four day 2-park Park-to-Park tix. HP is a big focus but looking forward to all of the areas and learning from scratch as my only other (solo) trip to Universal was in the 90s with only one park and it was a totally different park at that time!

Reading all trip reports and posts for recommendations and touring plan ideas, especially those beyond HP (which seems to be covered!). I think the screen-intensive rides may be a no-go for my husband who gets a bit motion sick from that kind of experience, and the kids aren’t likely to ride the extreme coasters, so I’m a little worried!

Tips for breaking up the screen/intense rides are most appreciated! Assuming early November won’t be pool weather?

It’s florida and could easily be 85 degrees.

she finally responded that there was no onsite availability, and that I would have to select off site resorts other dates which was false because I had checked all Express Pass resorts and all had availability.

TAs have their own pool of rooms. They don’t go to the main site. She was telling you the truth from her POV.

Universal doesn’t require a TA (nor a package).

Room-only reservations can easily drop in price over a month out (maybe not at this time of year though). And tickets can be purchased from other sellers like undercover tourist. You might want that info for future trips.

Regardless, club level is nice IF you’ll be there to appreciate it. So schedule yourselves so you can start and end there to take advantage of the offerings.

At Uni everyone is allowed into the lines, so the non-riders can at least experience those. Child swap is done inside the line, not outside like at Disney.

Husband might look into motion sickness medication if he wants to ride such things. (Though I just read that the generic patch is entirely out of stock everywhere.)

We had years of fun trips with my now-ex who was of a size that didn’t allow him on the big rides he wanted to go on, and with a kid who grew into the big rides. Im a chicken and will only go on hulk etc to support my son (though I’ve grown to like rip ride rockit). Lots to do even with limitations.

For the wet rides expect to be drenched. Change into easy-dry stuff before the rides or bring clothes to change into. Down to underwear, socks, and shoes even. Uni doesn’t kid around with wet rides.

Nov can be pool weather. The only time we had to skip the pool (on purpose) was in Jan one year.

You have park to park and express passes. Your planning is done.

Getting worried before a trip seems to be a common theme. If you ride something that doesn't agree with you, shut your eyes until it stops and don't ride it again.

Be sure to ride the supposedly kiddie rides. They can be a hoot.

The above 3 posters said it all.

Nothing I can add to it but say, you have the free unlimited express pass so take advantage of it and ride everything that you want as much as you want.

Universal is so nice because you don't really have to plan anything especially if you have the front of the line. I will say your DH will probably want to skip the Simpsons ride. That's the one that affects my slightly motion sick DH the most. He was sick for an entire day after riding that one.

Hi my DD and I can get motion sickness on the simulated rides.

In the studios we find that Simpsons is the one that makes us nauseated. If I were to break up the rides there I would do Minion, Shrek Transformers than E.T. I would take a break and check out another area then I would put Fallon, Fast and Furious, Mummy and MIB. Gringotts can really go any time. It's a small coaster with screens but really don't hear anybody getting sick on that one. My only problem with MIB is that if you get nauseated from spinning it could happen. When we went on it our car got hit a lot so we spun. If not you're good.

In IOA Forbidden Journey could be a problem. That is the only other ride we get sick on. I would probably do that one if you are then leave some time. I find that with IOA there is not enough screen simulators back to back. You really can really do what you want.

If you can't get the patch or don't want to use medications. We do use the sea bands and they do help a bit.

Since you are staying on site and club level break the day up. We find when we do club level we go back for a break and it helps with anybody not feeling good.

Enjoy the HRH it is a great place. You will enjoy the parks and the express pass.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!