1st stay at SSR

Kathi OD

<marquee><font color=blue>The first person to repl
On our next trip, DH & I are staying at SSR for the first time. We are taking our DGD, who will be 6, with us. This is her first trip to WDW, and of course we want it to be as perfect as possible.

I've read that there are certain areas that are more desirable than others depending on what your priorities are, but for the life of me can't find a thread. Transportation will be our main concern. We will be using Disney's transportation throughout our stay, and due to some physical limitations, will need to be somewhere close to a bus stop.

So with that in mind, where do the SSR experts suggest we request? (and yes, I know it is just a request).

I think the best two areas to stay in are congress park which is right across from DTD or grandstand which is nice and has a little pool area. Its also not too far from the carriage house.

Its a really beautiful resort with lots of nice views.

The buses are not bad. they run often and are usually not too crowded except for after park closings etc, but that is the same with any resort.

Our favorite at SSR is Congress Park. Great views of the lake and DTD area and a fairly comfortable walk to the main resort areas.

Ahhh, but don't miss the opportunity to stay in the Paddock. It has the new pool with a great slide and kids area, not to mention the new Grill and beverages.

We loved our stay at the Grandstand - has a great, newer pool with a mug refill station, and the bus stop was a short walk from our room. Also, it's the first bus stop, so you'll be first on before it fills up at the rest of the stops, plus you are first off when you get 'home'. The boat to DTD is very close as well, and I was surprised it was literally a three minute walk to the lobby from our room. Really good location - that's where I'll be staying hopefully in just over a week!

I'm a Congress Park, Downtown Disney View person! Has a quiet pool/jacuzzi & BBQ grills! Can walk to and back from DTD! Love the resort!

thanks for the input, everyone! I am sure our stay at SSR will be wonderful...after all, how bad can a WDW vacation be?? I was just concerned about the distance from our room to the bus stops and you all have managed to make me feel a little less stressed about that.

I second the Granstand section. My first vist to SSR I was in Grandstand, and I loved it. I was close to the pool, the bus stop was just across the parking lot and it took just over 5 minutes for me to walk over the food court.
I liked being the fisrt bus stop.
I am staying in SSR for my upcoming trip the end of Sept with my 4 year old GD and I requested Granstand.

I second the Granstand section. My first vist to SSR I was in Grandstand, and I loved it. I was close to the pool, the bus stop was just across the parking lot and it took just over 5 minutes for me to walk over the food court.
I liked being the fisrt bus stop.
I am staying in SSR for my upcoming trip the end of Sept with my 4 year old GD and I requested Granstand.

I have to agree. We only stayed at SSR once and we requested The Grandstand. If for nothing else it was for the easy access to the bus. Plus I believe in the Grandstand you are the last pickup and first drop off.

And hello neighbor! We are in Pottstown too!

Thanks for all the links. The owners and lovers threads are sometimes overwhelming, but the SSR is nicely organized with current stuff or links up front. :thumbsup2

We'll be staying at SSR for 12 nights starting July 31st. We didn't have a location request because we'll have a car, but I just realized the Carousel section doesn't have a laundry. We'll be in a studio and we'll need to do laundry. I much prefer to have one a shorter distance away especially since we'll have to do laundry about 3 to 4 times while we're there.

Thanks to AirGoofy and Birds of Prey Dave (and anyone else that contributed) for all the information and maps. I absolutely love the satellite one Dave.

Just wanted to thank those of you who shared their thoughts with me.

I used online check-in and requested first floor, Grandstand. We got both requests. Our room was across from the pool, so just a short walk to the bus, and not too far of a walk to the Artist's Palette.

Sadly, we're now waiting on DME for our trip back to reality.

I'm a Congress Park, Downtown Disney View person! Has a quiet pool/jacuzzi & BBQ grills! Can walk to and back from DTD! Love the resort!

Totally agree! However, since you'll have a little one, being closer to one of the themed pools might be preferable. A shorter walk to the boat that goes to DTD would be great too. Have a wonderful vacation! :goodvibes

thanks for the input, everyone! I am sure our stay at SSR will be wonderful...after all, how bad can a WDW vacation be?? I was just concerned about the distance from our room to the bus stops and you all have managed to make me feel a little less stressed about that.

It seems to me that even in the on line check in, there was a place to request "near bus stops." I requested that when I did on line check in for our last SSR stay and we were right across the Congress Park bus stop. It was very convenient.

Just wanted to thank those of you who shared their thoughts with me.

I used online check-in and requested first floor, Grandstand. We got both requests. Our room was across from the pool, so just a short walk to the bus, and not too far of a walk to the Artist's Palette.

Sadly, we're now waiting on DME for our trip back to reality.

We were right across from the pool and on the first floor as well when we stayed there the end of Sept beginning of Oct. I loved the location, I really am getting fond of SSR.

We just stayed in the Paddock Area in building next to the Paddock Pool, rm 5334 a 1-bdrm villa. Loved the location! The pool has a zero entry and there is the Paddock Grill right there as well as the refill station. In the pool building I believe is where the is the laundry facility is. The walk to the main building wasn't bad at all right over the bridge and past the Springs area. Walking to DTD was a bit far, but manageable. I can't remember if a DTD bus stopped there.

Check out this FAQ I posted in the SSR Lovers & Owners thread. In it, I attempt to list out the pros and cons of each section of the resort, to use as a tool in picking the one that best matches your desires.

The FAQ also includes a compilation of maps, pool info, Tree House info, and some other great stuff that's been shared in the SSR Lovers thread over the years.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter