11/18 - 11/25 New Orleans family does Disney! Last update - Spoodles

S.Poppins said:
Mussells have never sounded appetizing to me, but you almost made it sound tempting. Do they taste like oysters - because I do not like those! We are eating at Le Cellier in January. Last time we ordered Shrimp and cheese soup for appetizers.

I'm not a big mussell fan, never have been. They do not tast like oysters, more like a clam. Really not much taste at all, the sauce is the best part of the dish! I am still thinking about dipping the pretzel bread and scooping up bacon and potatoes, oh how YUMMY!!!!!!!

Tangierine Cafe

After reading so many good reviews we couldn't wait to try this one. I already knew after seeing many pics of the lamb & chicken shawarma platter that I had to try it as we love lamb! DH & I both ordered it and DS got the meatball platter. DS was not happy as he got 4 small meatballs and a plate of rice. DH and I looked at the platter and tried our hardest to figure out where the lamb was - there were some meaty looking things, like beef jerky, covered in the sauce. We tasted it and it slightly tasted like lamb but was the texture of beef jerky. The chicken on the platter was the same - chicken jerky. The sides of hummus, tabouleh and couscous were very good. We are still very curious as to if the meats were supposed to be the texture they were or not. If they were I'd like to know the method of cooking used. Worst CS meal of the entire week, will definitely not return.

San Angel Inn

This WAS our only must do again restaurant of the trip. We've been twice before and loved it. Well that love affair has now ended. I have been defending this place for the past year and now I join those who will never return. Apps - DS - nachos, DH & I - Traditional sope, nachos were cold and sope very bland an unappealing as well. Well we figured apps were never their strongest course. On to the entrees. As our waitress heads to our table with our food she stops a table or two away and sits our food down and proceeds to take orders for a table of 6. :confused3 When she finally brings our food to us I said "it might be cold now", she touched the side of a plate and said "not cold, warm". By this time I was glad the Margarita was kicking in so I just let the entrees be served. DS started on his plate the Plato Mexicano, took a bite of each item, which was a beef flauta, chicken enchilada and a beef burrito and said "this is nasty". DH and I tried our Combinacion Cozumel plates which consisted of beef tenderloin, grilled shrimp, grilled veggies and chipotle mashed potatoes. The shrimp were cold and mushy, the beef was warm and very tough, the veggies were raw and we didn't even try the potatoes. We skipped dessert as we wanted to get out as fast as we could and get something to eat somewhere else!! I was so sad that our favorite place was such a huge disaster, but that means one more new place to try next time. Oh, the margaritas were excellent!!

Next up - Spoodles for breakfast & dinner and ESPN for a snack!!

Time to wrap this review up!! After not eating much for dinner at San Angel we decided to have a big breakfast in the morning. We stopped in at Spoodles and asked if we needed ADR's for breakfast and were told just to come in between 7:30 and 8:00 and they could seat us!

Spoodles - Breakfast

We arrived at 7:30 with no ADR's and were seated right away. Achraf, our server, delivered a pot of coffee and juice to us and after chatting a while, a manager - Christine came out to talk to us, as she is from New Orleans. After talking about home for a while, we ordered. DS got the Spoodles all you can eat breakfast platter which consisted of eggs, bacon, sausage, breakfast potatoes and french toast. He loved it all and ate like there was no tomorrow. DH ordered the smoked ham and cheese frittata, I had the roasted veggie frittata, both came with breakfast potatoes and a croissant. The frittatas were very large and very tasty. We all really enjoyed Spoodles for breakfast, would definitely return again and did for dinner that night.

Spoodles - Dinner

ADR's for 8:00, arrived at 7:40, while waiting noticed that they were really going out of their way to take walk-ups. This was a first!! The place was pretty crowded and still they were trying to help everyone get seated. We only waited 10 minutes.
Didn't mention during the breakfast review - we love the fact that you can watch all the goings on in the kitchen from just about any seat in the place. Very nice atmosphere!! We had the best server of the week, Sandi. You could tell she really loves her job, she made us feel at home and she was so funny. For starters we had two flatbreads, the 4 cheese and garlic one and the margherita. They were both outstanding, not quite as good as the one at CG, but very, very good. I think the 4 cheese one was the better of the two. They also bring out an olive tepenade with the bread that is delicious.

For entrees DS ordered the oak-fired salmon and Sandi asked if he would like to sub the roasted vegetables for something else, which he happily did - fries. It was also served with rice. He said this was the best salmon he had all week, even better than FF. I didn't get to try it, so I can't say, but it was a very large piece of salmon! DH and I both ordered the oak-fired NY strip with sweet potato fries and horseradish cream sauce. Steaks were perfectly cooked and soooooooo good, I thought this steak was as good as the one at LeCellier. The sweet potato fries were seasoned very well and a very nice compliment to the steak. We also had a pitcher of Sangria, which was so good I had Sandi get me the recipe before the night was over. No room for dessert, but we were treated to a very entertaining balancing act/comedian/magician, right out of the kitchen. He came out and got as many willing participants as possible. So much fun, we LOVE this place!!

Well that's all until next time, hopefully next year. ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter