1 bed villas with small children

ljlaurajane

Mouseketeer
Hi all,

We have a nearly 3 year old, and I wondered how people manage staying in a 1 bed villa with small children given the bedroom only has 1 bed. I would be really nervous leaving him on the sleeper bed in the lounge on his own given he could easily access the kitchen without us noticing. But I also wouldn't be happy with him having the huge master bed all to himself and and hubs and I having to sleep on the pull out in the living room! I just can't picture how to make it work so most likely we will be sticking to studios till he's old enough to be trusted not to go exploring in the kitchen area (maybe 18? :rotfl2:)

At age one we put the pack and play up and had them sleep in it. A little older the blow ups with the sleeping bags attached fit nicely by the bed.

At age one we put the pack and play up and had them sleep in it. A little older the blow ups with the sleeping bags attached fit nicely by the bed.

I assume the blow up is something you bring yourself? We are from the Uk so might be too bulky / heavy to bring our own blow up. Can you request roll aways?

You can request rollaway (not guarantee) but have you considered renting a toddler bed to put in the master bedroom.

travelingbaby.com

i came across this company from another DIS post.

its $70 for the week plus delivery fee. So $105/ week. It doesn’t come with sheets but that can easily be brought from home.

I assume the blow up is something you bring yourself? We are from the Uk so might be too bulky / heavy to bring our own blow up. Can you request roll aways?
You can get one in the US at Walmart or Target for about $20-$30, then just leave it in the room when you check out. Use the sheets, blanket and pillows intended for the pull out couch.

Thanks both hadn’t considered buying / renting a blow up. I’m tempted to do that in the studios too now as then we can keep the sofa as a sofa too!

When our kids were young my son liked to use the cushions from the pull out to make his own bed.
turned it into an adventure!
he did not want to share her with sister.
we have also ordered a cheap air mattress from Amazon and left them when we left.I

I’m curious what you do to keep your son from getting into the kitchen at home? At that age we kept the knives and food processor blade out of reach, but honestly by 3 they can get a chair and get to almost anything anyway. And they’ll be too tired after a long day to be too creative. Put the knives up, make sure the upper safety lock on the front door is closed, and enjoy the 1BR.

Bruce

When we first bought in 1997, our son was only four. He did not want to sleep by himself in the living room. So Bill took the sleeper sofa and I took the bed with our son. Or I took the sleeper sofa and Bill took the bed with our son. It worked for about a year or two. After than he didn't mind sleeping in the living room alone. For one trip a year, about seven nights, it was fine. We were both in our late 40's by that time and it wasn't a problem for us to not sleep together for a couple of nights.

We stayed in 1 bedroom villas for years and the kitchen was never an issue.
Even when kids were small.

We love 1 bedrooms with our small children under age 7. They know the rules, and are so exhausted on vacation that they go right to sleep. We bring a baby monitor so we can hear/see if there are any issues.

At other places my husband and I took turns sleeping in the big bed with our daughter. Now in a DVC 1-BR we put both little ones on the pull-out and leave the door open to the bedroom. I hear everything so I would hear the pitter-patter of little feet and drawers opening.

We had our son sleep on the Murphy bed in 1BR villas since he was 2 and haven't had any issues (he's 4 now). If the room didn't have a Murphy bed, we would bring an inflatable toddler mattress (we use The Shrunks one) since we're not a fan of the sofa beds. He's been good about not getting into kitchen drawers and cabinets since he was little, plus he would fall asleep before us and we would get up before him so he wasn't usually roaming around on his own anyway. Now we have DD who is 1 so we've requested a crib for her so far. I'd be more concerned about her as she gets older since she's not as much of a rule follower as her brother, but she's also a great sleeper so unlikely to wander around before we're up in the morning. On the off chance that the kids wake up before us, I'm pretty sure they would come running into the bedroom to see us rather than getting into stuff in the kitchen (DS does this once in a while now when we're really tired and have slept in a bit).

They share the king bed with the parents.

When we traveled with our granddaughters alone, they sleep in the king bed and us old folks took the queen sleep sofa.

when my older daughter travel with her daughter (10) , she and daughter take the bed and dad takes the sleep sofa.

we are a very flexible family.....👏👏👏

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter