1/24-1/27 food report!

hereforthechurros

Here for the spring rolls too
So this trip was meant to be a no parks, hang by the pool trip to be punctuated by ADRs and naps. However the weather had other plans and it became apparent that pool time to soak up the sunshine wasn’t going to happen. So like any rational humans we canceled almost all of our ADRs and decided to purchase APs instead. Figured we have three days to kill this time and a longer trip this June so might as well get our money worth! Adios California Grill, Boma and Storybook Dining :(

Arrival day 1/24: First stop off the plane was the DME, then POR, then boat to DS. By now it’s 10 pm and we are ravenous. We swing by B.B. Wolf’s sausage Co. for a hot dog for the kid. Then finally what we’ve come all this way for... Morimoto Asia Street Food for Ribs, sesame noodles, egg rolls. I happily place our order and the guy tells me they don’t have the noodles anymore. I’m only slightly exaggerating when I say these may be my favorite food in all of WDW. I am crushed. I can’t go on. But I wipe my tears with their ribs and all of forgiven. Such great ribs. I can live without their egg rolls but my husband cannot. I watched him eat four of them. I am slightly grossed out by this and decide that the cure for this is the La Cava margarita from Frontera Cocina. But along the way we pass but the Sprinkles Cupcake ATM. Kid has to give it a try and chooses plain old vanilla. Folks the novelty here is in the delivery as the cupcake itself is bland and stale. It finds its way into the trash soon thereafter because we have better dessert in mind. Anywho back to the margarita. It’s the exact one they serve in Epcot at La Cava. It’s creamy, floral, lightly sweet and entirely delicious. The bartender was shamelessly flirting and actually made me two drinks as long as I came back to see him. Hey, free booze! I did not make it back sadly but there will be a next time. From here we strolled towards our final food target: Amorette’s Patisserie. I’ve been drooling over the images of French macarons and petit fours and classic pastries for months. I settled on the creme brûlée & mickey mousse. Both fairly disappointing. The Creme brûlée custard was overcooked but flavor was decent. The mouse mousse was off in both texture and flavor, but it’s irresistibly cute and my husband eats anything so he ate this too. Back at the resort. Under the cover of darkness. Because he’s the Real MVP.

1/25: The next morning we enjoyed a stroll to POFQ for Mickey beignets, chicory ganache and chicory coffee. Best coffee I’ve had on property by the way. Bold and smoky and deep and rich. The beignets aren’t quite as enjoyable as the ones you’ll find in the French quarter of Nola, but they spark joy all the same. Made-to-order, pillowy, sugary. Plus things just taste better shaped as Mickey’s head, it’s science.

After bumming around the resort we headed to DS to purchase APs. Success! We are now full blown Disney people. Afterwards we wanted something quick before heading to Hollywood Studios. Luckily Pizza Ponte was right there. I enjoyed the square mushroom slice, kid had the plain cheese (notice a trend? My five year old eats like a five year old), and husband had the pepperoni. We also shared pre- and post- AP beers because, APs! And after a super healthy January we were celebrating #nocarbleftbehind. Solid pizza slices for the most part, but not earth shattering. FWIW their sandwiches and salads in the case looked good.

After a few hours at DS, we needed a snack to share so figured a Classic mickey Pretzel (there’s that head thing again) & churro would hit the spot. Churro was super stale but whatevs, see username. And while not a fan of fake cheese, that cheese they serve with pretzels is like plastic cheese crack. As husband and child went to Star Tours for their next FP, I veered almost by divine intervention into a practically empty Baseline Taphouse for a Sierra Nevada Torpedo. Peace, quiet, and beer. I had achieved full zen mode. A gem that I hope stays hidden.

Back at the resort for dinner, we decided to stay close and checkout Boatwright’s Dining Hall. There was an hour wait so we cooled our jets by the fireplace at River Roost with an adult beverage. Once seated we were met with some warm cornbread with butter which hit the spot on such a cold January night. Next up, the Crawfish bisque which had large bites of tender crawfish and enough cream to drown a crawfish. Delectable and decadent. I wound up giving half of it to my husband so I wouldn’t fill up. For entrees I had the shrimp & grits, husband had the jambalaya, and kid had the chicken skewers and green beans. The grits were so creamy, the shrimp were a bit skimpy in size but cooked well, and the andouille sausage was a nice addition. Overall we were impressed with the quality of food here. Portions were a little small and prices were a little high but we would go again. As far as service it was PACKED. CMs were trying their best to be sweet, but far too busy to be attentive.

1/26: Next morning was rope drop at MK but dropping rope or not, I start every MK morning with a Chocolate croissant & coffee from Starbucks... I mean Main Street Bakery. After a long morning of rides and cool temps we were ready for our ADR and some comfort food at Liberty Tree Tavern. I was being indecisive so I went with the Patriot Platter, husband had the fish & chips, and kid had the Mac & cheese. Last time we were here the kid ate his entire bowl... this time he took one bite, declared he didn’t like it, then took over husband’s fish & chips. Cest la vie. The patriots platter is fine. The cranberry sauce and green beans were great and the meats were cooked well. Filling, very filling. However, once we placed our order and I got my salad, we didn’t see our server again for 45 minutes. Service was legit atrocious. When we finally literally flagged him down he seemed annoyed. Very odd. So getting “refills” on the patriot’s platter wasn’t really a thing. The dessert however was great and they make it clear it can be shared with the table which is nice. Nice if you want to share. which I didn’t. Because ooey gooey toffee cake. But nevertheless spoons were brought and the sharing commenced.

After 6+ hours in the parks it was back to the resort hot tub time and drinks. Did you know that if you mix frose and a hot tub soak you can see heaven? Just me? Or maybe it was the reef donkey that put me over the edge, but I digress. It was 55 degrees, cloudy and windy and my husband and kid were in the regular pool like lunatics, but they seemed to be enjoying it.

After some R&R we grabbed an Uber to Poly to share some pulled pork Nachos, Thai coconut meatballs, and a Spikey pineapple from Trader Sam’s terrace for me and Kona flight for the husband. I know it’s only QS but I could eat those dang nachos everyday while at WDW and be perfectly happy. It was freezing but I was determined to finish my frozen drink outside (inside was PACKED) by the waterfall in the name of vacation. Then it was back to MK for the night.

1/27: Sunday AM we checked out of POR to move over to Beach Club and continued our comfort food adventure at Homecomin. I had the Fried Chicken and mashed potatoes. The breast was excellent, the mashed potatoes with gravy was so creamy, kind of wish they had a little more texture to them. Palate fatigue was real with those babies. Their biscuits remain overrated but don’t tell Art I said that. Husband had the hot legs (so good, pretty sure it’s the same sauce as the thigh high biscuits) with a side of Mac & cheese. Ugh the M&C is just so good. We never even come close to finishing it but worth it for a few bites. Kid had the fish which was unknowingly catfish and he wasn’t into it, but he was into my fried chicken leg so problem solved. So much food went to waste but we took two of the hot legs and my chicken thigh back to the hotel which served us well later that evening. Win! I have to mention that the service here was the worst service I’ve had at WDW, ever. Kid spilled his Lemonade and the server gave us three napkins and walked away. I asked for a towel and he just ignored it. Food was dropped and we didn’t see our server until again had to flag down for a check. #1 rule is serving is to check back as soon as food is dropped. Most times menu items don’t efficiently list what comes or doesn’t come with entrees so only once it’s dropped off do you realize what you may need. So frustrating.

By the time lunch ended it was completely pouring which put a damper (Sorry) on park plans so we headed to Beach Club. We figured if the rain let up we may just have a chance to use the pool. As we were checking in, they were closing the pool down for the day. So like any mature adults we pitched a bit of a fit (in private, in our room) before deciding cocktails were in order. Martha’s Vineyard was the only thing open but the beer was cold and the probowl was on so we successfully killed a couple hours. By then it was 5 pm ans we needed a snack so we headed over to Crew’s cup. Based on reviews, we had to get the bread service & we tossed on an order of deviled eggs for good measure. The bread service was decent, lots of bread and butter, but not sure I would feel compelled to get it again. The roasted garlic was a nice touch though! The deviled eggs however were inedible IMO. Husband again stepped up to the plate and polished them off but I pretty much gagged on one bite. And I love deviled eggs, I have won contests with my deviled egg recipe (no joke) but their mixture of the pimento cheese, chili jam, and bacon (all things I normally love) just tasted like mushy feet. Blah. The service here however is second to none. And I love love love the cozy cabin feel with all the wood and great lighting. Will revisit for sure.

By this time the rain had slightly let up so we purchased some ponchos and headed towards Epcot. An empty Epcot at that. First stop off the boat was Rose & Crown to share a bass/Guinness. Last time we were at R&C I was having severe heat exhaustion so I wanted a do over. The pub was almost empty so the service was excellent. I just love this place so much for a casual pint. It doesn’t feel like you’re in WDW and even on a busy day, it’s a blast. We hit Gran Fiesta and Frozen before grabbing an excellent beer to share in Norway (is it true this is the only place they serve it outside of Norway?) and empanadas from Choza de margarita. The empanadas were a great alongside the creamy esquites. Decent amount of food for a snack and we enjoyed sharing it. By now it was almost closing so we headed towards the monorail with thoughts of dropping into GF or Poly for one last stroll around, but by the time we pulled into the TTC we were still soaked, tired and over it so we Ubered back to BC. Realizing we were still hungry having only shared snacks since 11 am, we hit the marketplace but it was a zoo. We settled on Mickey bars and homecomin leftovers... could have been worse!

Food wasn’t typical this trip, mostly safer standbys because of the last minutes change of plans, but still worked out with some new favorites entering the mix. Countdown to June is on! Then adults only in September!

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter