ZW's Birthday Gala: Part 15.2 the Flank Steak Recipe

Zurg

<font color=red>Eivl <font color=navy>Emperor<br><
This recipe won a prize as an appetizer at local Appetizer and Dessert party. We serve it as a main dish typically but hey we needed a winner. Considering all the hunters there with the great cuts of game, I was honored to place with a beef dish. (We did well with some chocolate stout home brew at their party once too. I think it was ‘cause it was strong and people were getting light headed on the stuff.)

It is great cold with horseradish and that is typically how I serve it as an appetizer.

Flank Steak or two.
1 Bottle A1
1 Bottle Worcestershire Sauce
1 Bottle Ken’s low fat Caesar’s Salad dressing (low fat has less oil and so it flairs up less on the grill)
1 (or more) table spoons Garlic powder
½ to 1 cup Grated Romano cheese

A day or two before you are going to cook put every thing in a big zip lock bag. Put in the refrigerator. When ever you go in the frig squish things around.

Fire up the grill and let it get hot. Pour the marinade off the meat and into a pan on the stove. Turn on the heat and boil the marinade. You are going to use this as a sauce and you have to kill any bacteria from the raw meat. Stir regularly to keep from burning.

Grill the steak. Take it off well before it is the level of “done” you like. It keeps cooking when you take it off and it is our opinion that rare for this dish is better. Your mileage may vary.

Don’t forget to stir the sauce.

Take the steak of and let it rest a few minutes. This lets it cool and the juices are drawn back into the meat. (Leaned that on the food channel.)

The sauce should be save now, turn off the heat.

Carve thin slices across the grain.

Serve with the sauce.

---- or -----

Put it some back into the sauce and into the refrigerator. Roll the slices up around a dab of nice hot horse radish. I hold them rolled up with a tooth pick. Serve as and appetizer. Typically I present them in a fry pan rolled up like sushi, sitting in the sauce. Although for a more formal dinner party I have served them as strips on a few pieces of Romaine lettuce garnished with onion, red peppers and dressed with the sauce.

Of course if you make two you can do both.

Zurg,

Do you put the cheese in the baggie also or save it and add after the meat has been cooked then add to top?

(zurg, work with me here, I'm having fun! :teeth: )

Oh grand and great Evil Emperor Zurg, I must file a report on the Super-Duper-Top-Secret Marinade.

Item 1. Last Saturday was Valentine's Day
Item 2. It was warm enough here in MN to grill outside
Item 3. I knew it was going to be warm enough to grill on Sat. on Thursday.

So, agent "He-who-runs-to-Cub" ran to cub to get the super-secret ingredients for the Super-Duper-Top-Secret Marinade.

Evil Emperor Zurg, I must report, however, that Cub Foods has multiple sized bottles of A1 and Worcestershire Sauce, but only 1 bottle of low fat Caesar’s Salad dressing? And that Ken is nowhere to be found to see if it his? :eek:

So, I acquired the (NON-Ken's version of the) dressing, and bottles of both A1 and Worsechestester sauce to match.

Agent "He-who-runs-to-Cub" ran home and prepared the Super-Duper-Top-Secret Marinade. It went well, until I tried to put the marinade into the fridge to keep cool... I went to jostle the baggie and it split open and about 1/2 of the marinade spilled onto the floor from about 3' up. :earseek: Man, it splattered _ALL_ over the kitchen. The floor. The Fridge. The Stove. The Dishwasher. The pile of shoes-n-boots by the back door. Me. Man it was a mess.

So, I got out a big bowl and dumped the remainder of the meat and Super-Duper-Top-Secret Marinade (Did I state that I got BIG bottles of the super-secret ingredients?) into it, put it in the fridge and then Agent "He-who-runs-to-cub" became Agent "Mr. Clean" for about 45 minutes. --Note to self, make sure to use NAME BRAND ziploc bags next time.

Saturday rolled around, and yes, I remembered to jostle the bowl. I fired up the grill before supper, slid the T-Bones (Agent "He-who-runs-to-Cub" couldn't find the Flank Steaks at Cub), burned some brocolli in butter, microwaved some baked potatoes, steamed some carrots and set the table after putting a dozen roses that the kids...er... Agents in training... and I were able to acquire from Cub Foods (notice a trend here? :D )

The meal went perfectly, the Super-Duper-Top-Secret Marinade. was such a success that I had to give the remainder of the cooked-clean Super-Duper-Top-Secret Marinade to my dad for extensive flavor testing, and I'm supposed to make it again really soon.

Agent "He-who-runs-to-Cub" signing off.
(BTW, without any set up, my parents asked to have the kids over for Supper on Valentines day, so it was just Agent "He-who-runs-to-Cub" and Zulaya for supper!) :lovestruc

OUTSTANDING!

Welcome to the ranks of goofy report writing lightsaber.

(Good thing that isn't lightbeer)

Opps I was remiss in not pointing out the value of the name brand zip lock bags. I use the ones with the little slide across zipper thingy as I to have been Mr. Clean for 45 minutes.

I guess any Caesar’s will work as long as it isn’t the creamy type, come to think of it that may work too.

I use the large bottles. That is large of A1 and Worcestershire. In real measurements they are less than a beer but bigger than a pony bottle. Guy, are you with me on this? Good I knew you would be.

I have been doing my shopping at the local Sam’s Club. They have the flank steaks (great price and quality too) and everything but the Ken’s. But that is fine because even if the beer store isn’t in route to the store that has Ken’s I can pretend it is if you get my meaning. (Yes in Pennsylvania you have to go to a beer store, it is stupid but it is how it works here. On the up side I know the guy who owns the beer store and I get special pricing so it isn’t a total loss.)

If I still knew the tag fairy I would put you in for a tag as "He-who-runs-to-Cub" but I understand the Tag Fairy got laid off, fired, banned or something and we aren’t to speak of it anymore.

Great work

Oh and MAGICinMYHEART I am a guy. I can put it all in and forget about it and get back to drinking beer or I can do it in two steps that means interrupting the beer drinking twice. What do you think I do?

Yes you can use a life line - lets poll the audience:

Oh grand and great Evil Emperor Zurg, I must file an addendum to the report on the Super-Duper-Top-Secret Marinade.

I must apologize profusely for the omission in my report about the Caesar's Dressing (Who is Ken, anyways? ;) ) and report that the only low-fat version I could find was creamy. It made the Super-Duper-Top-Secret Marinade a yucky-looking light brown, but did nothing to mar the flavor.

I also must apologize to Zurg Agent in Training MAGICinMYHEART that I forgot to report that I put the Romano Cheese in the baggie (and then the BIG bowl :D ) at the beginning and it seemed to turn out just fine.

Agent "He-who-runs-to-Cub" would also like to report that Cub Foods here in MN carries 3/2 beer, not that I've ever had a need for any...
:rolleyes: :teeth:

Agent "He-who-runs-to-Cub" Signing off.

Ken make salad dressing. I think he is related to Paul Newman or something snce I see them both in the salad section.

I have been know to also ad garlic poweder, lots of garlic.

I also will put in a bit of flower to thincken the marinade when I boil it.

All this talk of food, I am getting hungery

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter