• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

zucchini!

I have not tried freezing sliced zucchini. Does it need to be blanched first like many other veggies do?
I like to slice a medium sized zucc. lengthwise, marinate for a few hours in Italian dressing, and cook on the grill with whatever else I am grilling.
And it always seems like the occasional zucc. gets overlooked in the garden and gets HUGE. With these, I slice them lengthwise and scoop out the (tough) seeds. Put into a large baking dish and mound into the center a mixture of cooked ground meat and cooked rice, chopped onion, tomato sauce, shredded cheese, and whatever else calls to you from the fridge! Cover with foil and bake an hour or more until zucc. is tender. I usually take off the foil now and sprinkle on some more cheese until it melts. This makes a lot!

I just received a menusaver newsletter put out by Taste of Home today that features zucchini. If anyone would like for me to forward the email to them, just pm me and I will forward to you.

Here's a good use for the large zucchini. Slice it in thick slabs, dip in Tempura batter and fry in oil. Yummy!!:thumbsup2 Even the kids like it.

I love to shred the Zuchini with my grater and put it in sphaghettis sauce and my lassagna, it works good in soups too.

FUNNY ZUCHINI STORY.......Way back in the early 70's the 1st year mom planetd zuchinni she didn't even know what it was we'd been eating the store bought canned stuff but never had grown it didn't know how they grew or anything about them.

Needless to say we had zuchinni out our ears. Mom couldn't waste the stuff it's a sin to waste any food much less the food that you grow yourself.

Mom had been canning it in tomato sauce with some onion and seasonings etc her own recipe. Well she had a big 2 gallon pot of it on the stove one day when we had to leave for a bit. She turned the stove off said I'll can that when I get back knowing she'd have heat it up again.

Well we got back home and the pot was EMPTY the whole 2 GALLONS GONE! We looked at each other said Well Michael my brother musta been here. Was glad not to have to heat the kitchen again to can that stuff.

A few days later Michael came back ask Mom WHAT did you have in that veggie soup the other day? Mom said I didn't have no veggie soup I don't make that in the summer, They argued back an forth a few mins I said MOM he's talking about that ZUCHINNI THAT HE DOESN'T LIKE!!!!

Brother said HMMMMM zuchini that stuff not bad!!!!!

Yep he ate a 2 gallon pot of it at 1 sitting an didn't even like it ROFLOL

This is a wonderful, moist chocolate cake, my daycare kids love it and beg for it, course I just tell them it is chocolate cake and I don't mention the Zucchini! You can frost it if you want but it is good plain or with a little cool whip. I shread the zucchini let it sit for about 20 min and drain it good, pack it up in 2cup portions in ziplock baggies to freeze. When I want to make this cake I just thaw it overnight in the fridge.

Chocolate Zucchini Cake
1/2 c butter
2 eggs
1/2 c oil
1tsp vanillia
1 3/4 c sugar
4 TBS cocoa
2 1/2 c flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 c sour milk (add 1 tsp vinegar to milk)
1 c chocolate chips
2 c zucchini, grated

Preheat oven 325 grease 9X13 pan.
In bowl cream butter and eggs, add oil, vanilla and sugar-blend well. Sift together the cocoa, flour, baking soda and cinnamon. blend into butter mixture alternating with milk. stir in zuchinni and chips. Pour into pan and bake for 40-50 minutes.
You can serve this warm with icecream or cool as a snack cake.
Enjoy!!

Bev

She makes this dish - no recipe - where she sautes them with some tomatoes, green peppers, and sometimes baby squash in a pan - and just before it is all softened she adds a little bit of cheese.

Our zucchini and yellow squash came and went while we were on vacation, so I didn't get any this year.

My husband does a variation on the suggestion above. I guess he had a recipe years ago, but he just puts in what he likes.

He takes the zucchini and turns them into "boats" by taking most of the insides out. The insides go into a pan with banana peppers, tomatoes, butter and seasoning. After the mixture is cooked, he adds eggs and scrambles them up.

In the meantime, he has been steaming the "boats" in a skillet with a little water in the bottom. After they are tender, he fills them with the mixture above and melts cheese over the top.

Very yummy.

Sheila

Zucchini pancakes are very good, I make them like potato pancakes but use zucchini instead of potatoes.

Ratatouille Man:cool1: Slice zucchini, onion, and summer squash into 1/2" slices, add to a can of stewed tomatoes, simmer until the veggies are soft. Nice side vegetable.

Jessmela, I modified your zucchini recipe yesterday. I was going to make a frittata but I didn't feel like standing over the stove while it cooked, so I chunked up the potatoes, onion and zucchini, tossed with oil, baked until done, then added the ham and eggs, cooked for 10 minutes, and sprinkled with cheese. Thumbs up from all five of us! And I can see all kinds of vegetable variations for this oven frittata/crustless quiche/veggie egg bake/whatever!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter