ZOOM - another airline goes under

bavaria

<font color=deeppink>Makes the best of both worlds
ZOOM, a Canadian LCC flying Europe-Canada routes announced that it will cease operations as of August 28th.
Zoom Airlines sincerely regrets to advise its customers that it has suspended operations with effect from 18:00 UTC on Thursday 28 August.

All flights scheduled to depart from have been cancelled and Zoom's aircraft have been grounded.

Both Zoom Airlines Inc and Zoom Airlines Ltd, the Canadian and UK airlines, will be filing for insolvency proceedings in their home countries today.

http://www.flyzoom.com/

Zoom had 2 weekly non-stops to London from SAN. Today is one of the scheduled flights. Zoom directed all its SAN-based personnel to not report to work today, fearing an angry mob. They left airport staff to handle the task of calming, consoling and rebooking outbound pax. :sad2:

ZOOM, a Canadian LCC flying Europe-Canada routes announced that it will cease operations as of August 28th.

http://www.flyzoom.com/

And Alitalia has filed for bankruptcy protection. Still flying, but with a limp. (Is that a mixed metaphor?)

The ABC article says the Italian government won't let them go under, but there will be a "serious restructuring". Does this mean they'll move to U.S.-type bad service to save money? I've never flown Alitalia, so I don't know how good or bad they were to start with. Looks like it's been in trouble for a long time.

DisFlan

So bad, they had great flights out of Montreal and Ottawa to Europe, and I have many friends praising the extra space you could get for a very reasonable fare. I was also looking at their direct YOW-GLA flight for next year, if we can finally swing that Scotland vacation!

And Alitalia has filed for bankruptcy protection. Still flying, but with a limp. (Is that a mixed metaphor?)

The ABC article says the Italian government won't let them go under, but there will be a "serious restructuring". Does this mean they'll move to U.S.-type bad service to save money? I've never flown Alitalia, so I don't know how good or bad they were to start with. Looks like it's been in trouble for a long time.

DisFlan

Well for Atlitalia... "US Service" would actually be an improvement! :rotfl:

However, while ABC says the goverment won't let them go under according to what I am reading under the EU rules they can't do a whole lot.

Atitalia's BIG issue is the unions who have announced that they want to "be involved" in ALL aspects of the 'restructuring'. Considering they cause a LOT of the problem this is not a good sign! (REGULAR strikes, failure to come to work, routine just "quit doing our jobs" and some very generous terms....)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter