Zika...the latest?

DnA2010

Rope Drop!
Hi everyone,
I've been googling a bit, but just wondering about the whole Zika thing and travelling to WDW- we aren't planning on trying again for probably a 6-12 months, but just wondering what your thoughts/research are on Zika in the WDW area :)

The closest cases caught in the US were over 200 miles away in the miami area. They heavily sprayed and it's been a very long time since anything was even mentioned on the news about it down here and considered dealt with at this time. Disney is still offering free bug repellent in the parks and springs, I cannot speak for resorts as I have not stayed in any..

To be honest the only place I ever see mosquitos is boat docks near wooded areas at night. A lot of work happened to thin out the trees around wilderness lodge as well do disney is still active in doing even better mosquito prevention and they were amazing long before zika. I'd be shocked to hear you noticed any.

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I was wondering what everyone's take was for this summer? We have a trip booked for our anniversary and we are not 100% sure if we are done with babies yet lol. I am on the fence about this trip although they say it can spread up the coast to NY too so not sure it matters at this point.

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I was wondering what everyone's take was for this summer? We have a trip booked for our anniversary and we are not 100% sure if we are done with babies yet lol. I am on the fence about this trip although they say it can spread up the coast to NY too so not sure it matters at this point.

I would go. I went last September when I was 6 months along. My doctor said it was absolutely fine, even though Zika had been discovered in Miami. I wore mosquito repellent and didn't get one bite. The rest of my traveling party (there were 5 others with me) never even wore repellent and they didn't get any bites either. Whatever Disney sprays sure works!

well shoot.... we go in June, and I hadn't even thought about Zika. I'm going to beleive that the magic of disney will keep me safe. I am sure they spray like crazy!!! I would still go...there's always a chance of something happening, but I'm of the opinion that's not enough to keep me from DIsney. Now, were they in the midst of a measles outbreak, yeah, I'd think twice.

well shoot.... we go in June, and I hadn't even thought about Zika. I'm going to beleive that the magic of disney will keep me safe. I am sure they spray like crazy!!! I would still go...there's always a chance of something happening, but I'm of the opinion that's not enough to keep me from DIsney. Now, were they in the midst of a measles outbreak, yeah, I'd think twice.

I stayed at the Polynesian at the end of March. We sat on the balcony outside at night and I ended up with quite a few mosquito bites. It's the first time I have ever gotten any while being at Disney.

I stayed at the Polynesian at the end of March. We sat on the balcony outside at night and I ended up with quite a few mosquito bites. It's the first time I have ever gotten any while being at Disney.

We stayed at Poly last June and had bites but we have stayed at other resorts and find the Poly has a lot of bugs. We stayed at AKL, Beach Club, Boardwalk all durning the summer and never had bites. I think it is all of the Greenery at the Poly. This time we are staying the Contemporary (end of June as well) which has no plants lol. That doesn't mean it can't happen but that is a factor.

I don't think at this point we will cancel but I guess I will keep watch and see what happens.

I would go. I went last September when I was 6 months along. My doctor said it was absolutely fine, even though Zika had been discovered in Miami. I wore mosquito repellent and didn't get one bite. The rest of my traveling party (there were 5 others with me) never even wore repellent and they didn't get any bites either. Whatever Disney sprays sure works!

I'm currently pregnant and mentioned to my OB that I have a trip to WDW planned for the end of May; she told me to go and enjoy and didn't once mention the Zika virus. Every time I go to the OB I have to sign a form about where I've visited since my last belly check for the Zika virus and they only have South Florida within the continental US listed. Based on this and the fact that it hasn't been reported beyond South Florida I personally feel comfortable going to WDW for vacation. I will have mosquito bands and bug spray on me (small bottle) just in case there are mosquitoes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter