Yucky preferred view at BWV, what would you do?

Well, thanks for all the wonderful advice. I was surprised to see the length of the thread when I checked back two days later. We are still in the same room. If asked at checkout about our stay I will mention about being disappointed to spend 40 points more for this view. I did not and will not request a room change.

I didn't understand the "view" scenario here at BWV.......I just assumed spending extra points meant getting more. I also didn't stop to think that we would have spent the same number of points at our home resort, VWL (according to a poster, I haven't checked for sure). Now I feel better.

I didn't try and book a standard view room in the beginning, I didn't even ask. We just knew this was a "once in a lifetime" trip with aging parents and we wanted the best at the resort we thought they would enjoy the most.

I agree that it's wonderful just to be here. It has been a wonderful time. Thanks fellow DVC experts.

Sounds like you had a great trip and didn't let the expectations spoil it.

I think sometimes our expectations of DVC are a little high, forgetting not every room is going to be perfect - and, in fact, few are. Each resort has its pro's and con's - and one of BWVs pros AND cons is the view situation. The standard view points add a lot of flexibility. The BWV - now with its guarentee - is nice (I don't have the high opinion of it that a lot of posters do, but it IS nice). But there is also the "preferred view" situation - some of those rooms have less great views than the "standard" side of the house - and for more points.

A perfect resort for me would have OKW room sizes and points, a BWV/BCV location, with VWL decor.

Sorry for your view but as everyone said you can not be lucky all the time. I guess if you spend most of your time on the lanai it would be a problems, but disney has so much to offer that when you really think of it you are not on the lanai that much

Originally posted by Dean
DVC made a mistake with the standard and preferred view...
ahhhh...... one man's mistake is anothers silly and mistaken notion.....

I don't think the standard and preferred view options were a mistake for BWV. Of course, it's just my opinion, and I'll try not to state it as some factual reference that really isn't a factual reference.

Regarding how reservations are now handled, that's another matter.

blowingup.gif

Originally posted by Desperado
ahhhh...... one man's mistake is anothers silly and mistaken notion.....

I don't think the standard and preferred view options were a mistake for BWV. Of course, it's just my opinion, and I'll try not to state it as some factual reference that really isn't a factual reference.

Regarding how reservations are now handled, that's another matter.

blowingup.gif
As usual, you quote out of context. They did make a mistake in the NAMING and likely in giving in and creating two levels of points. You can call it what you want, it's still a mistake. And don't think I missed this or any of the other under the counter insults.

Originally posted by mic_KY_mouses

I didn't understand the "view" scenario here at BWV.......I just assumed spending extra points meant getting more. I also didn't stop to think that we would have spent the same number of points at our home resort, VWL (according to a poster, I haven't checked for sure). Now I feel better.

You were informed correctly. BWV Preferred View rooms are the exact same point schedule as VWL and BCV point schedules for similar accommodation sizes.

For what it's worth Dean, I agree that Disney unintentionally created this can of worms by naming a group of rooms as "preferred", since preferred is such a subjective word. And, as in the case of the OP, it tends to set expectations that might not always be met.

I try not to think of the "standard view" rooms at BWV as the baseline but rather as the "discounted" rooms.
Lisa F...I think this is the right way to think of it.

Last year I also had what I considered an undesirable view for PV points and posted as such here. My PV was primarily the valet parking lot and service area driveway, but also had view of the canal and TOT. Several people here posted they had rooms right down the hallway from me (actually closer to the elevator) and they were only charged SV points. I put a call into DVC and BWV and got nowhere. I dealt with it and chalked it up to a learning experience. I vowed I'd request "pool view" the next time I stayed at BWV but in light of the OP experience I'll be sure to change that to "unobstructed pool view" ;)
Glad you had a nice trip despite the tree mick_KY_mouses. Thanks for the report.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter