• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

"You're not making good choices, Phoebe!" A July 2015 Trip Report *completed 1/2/16*

Loving the report! You will love the BW during Christmas time! We stayed there over the holidays in 2013! You cannot beat the location!

Loving the report! You will love the BW during Christmas time! We stayed there over the holidays in 2013! You cannot beat the location!
YES :thumbsup2 The holiday displays the BW, BC and YC have are incredible! The boys will love them so make sure you plan time to walk around to the BC/YC ::yes::

thank you!! We are beyond excited!!

YES :thumbsup2 The holiday displays the BW, BC and YC have are incredible! The boys will love them so make sure you plan time to walk around to the BC/YC ::yes::

I can't wait to see all of the holiday displays...and we'll definitely be heading over to YC/BC. We're planning a dinner at Yachtsman and maybe a departure day breakfast at Cape May. So excited!!

Hello, Friends!!

Sorry for the lull in updates this week! School business is keeping me busy. I hope everyone else who's back to school now is having a successful start!

We're heading out of town today to watch Prairie Home Companion tonight, and we're pretty excited. Listening on the radio every weekend is a family tradition, so we're looking forward to watching them perform the show live.

Have a great weekend and take care of yourselves :lovestruc:lovestruc

So much awesomeness in in this update! I love AK and I love all your pics and stories so far. You are a great writer and story teller:flower1:

I said, "Are you actually doing this?" and the dad gave me a look like, "Shut up, sassy Yeti, We sure as skunk hair ARE doing this." The grandpa looked a little embarrassed, and wouldn't look me in the eye.
X was really upset, but I told him to make like Elsa.

I will admit, I took their picture and from behind and was planning to Disboard Shame them, but what's the point? Live and let live, and let karma come get you later.

Disboard shame them! Bwaaa! Love it! Also, make like Elsa, too funny.

Me: standard scared face and jazz hands, kids: sort of committing this time, DH: what is that???
I have the same type of poses with my family.

Also, Cinnamon Raisin Bread Pudding with warm vanilla sauce at Tusker House-- the one dish I am looking the most forward to on our trip!!

So great! I am glad you are booked for 2016!! Very exciting! I hope one day I can tour a little by myself. It looks like you had a great time at MK

So much awesomeness in in this update! I love AK and I love all your pics and stories so far. You are a great writer and story teller:flower1:

Disboard shame them! Bwaaa! Love it! Also, make like Elsa, too funny.

I have the same type of poses with my family.

Also, Cinnamon Raisin Bread Pudding with warm vanilla sauce at Tusker House-- the one dish I am looking the most forward to on our trip!!

So great! I am glad you are booked for 2016!! Very exciting! I hope one day I can tour a little by myself. It looks like you had a great time at MK

thank you!! That means a lot to me, for real!
I don't blame you for looking forward to that bread pudding...it's SO GOOD!

We are very excited about our 2016 visit, even though it is soooooooo far away.

Hey!! I'm still alive!!

And I have an update for you. Woohoo!!

Chapter Eight...in which we celebrate good times, come on!

When I last updated, I had just come home to the Lodge from a failed attempt at staying for Extra Magic Hours at the MK.

But it was a new dawn, and a new day...

Today was another special day, my husband's birthday! We had a non-park morning planned. Breakfast and a trip to Downtown Disney, before going to Epcot for his birthday dinner.

We started by seeing some reminders as to why the Lodge is named the WILDERNESS Lodge:

Good morning bunny, good morning lizard!

Our first mode of transportation for the morning would be the resort ferry. I got a picture of the man of the day and enjoyed the sunlight on the water

I made a memory of the Wilderness Lodge beach before it's destroyed by construction, and rebuilt with new villas

And was overwhelmed by the beauty of it across the expanse of water

Our second vehicle of the morning was the monorail at the Contemporary. We had it all to ourselves, as you can see:

Where were we going??

Back to the Polynesian. We had a birthday breakfast planned for a new place for us, the Kona Cafe.

First thing's first, we had to have coffee!!

It didn't last long.

Our waitress was nice, but service was very slow on this day. It took forever for our food to get to us, I'm not sure what the problem was. Eventually it arrived and it was time to chow down!

I got the macadamia nut and pineapple pancakes (there's chew marks, sorry!!):

These were delicious. I'm not a pancake person in general, but I am a macadamia and pineapple fan, so I have been drawn to this dish from the first time I laid eyes on the menu online. I knew this was what I was getting. It did not disappoint me. They weren't overly sweet, the pineapple wasn't overwhelming, and the macadamia nuts gave a nice crunch. I ordered them with sausage which is a HUGE deal for me, because I don't like sausage very much. But Disney sausage, specifically Polynesian resort restaurant sausage, is a different story altogether. I love it and I don't know why!

I talked DH into the Tonga Toast

He was happy I did! I had to steal a bite or two because I'd never had it before. I also really liked the strawberry sauce it came with, but not ON the toast. I think this is something I'd order myself if we eat there again.

L got pancakes with grits and bacon, and X got steak and eggs

L liked his just fine, and X enjoyed his as well, but his steak was a bit overcooked and kind of bland.

We are so glad we tried Kona! I think we'd go back again sometime in the future.

When we were finished, it was time to go catch a bus, but first we had to stop and admire the front landscaping at the Poly

Gorgeous.

Bus luck was on our side, because we didn't wait more than a couple of minutes before a bus to Downtown Disney pulled up.

Part Two on the way soon!!

Chapter 8 Part 2

The ride to Downtown Disney took awhile. We stopped at the Grand Floridian to pick up a few more people, and then we had to make a stop at Typhoon Lagoon. Most of the people on the bus got off there, and the few of us that were left had an easy trip the rest of the way. Everyone on the boards had been complaining that the road work around DTD was bad, and the traffic was crazy, but we didn't notice that. Maybe were were protected from reality by being on the Disney bus?? I felt like it was an easy trip.

L wanted to stop for a picture

And then it was time for ME to insist on a picture before we went into the Christmas store

There was a stop in Art of Disney and of course, Goofy's Candy Co. I can't get enough of the Disney themed treats!!

We used the Disney magic and Tink's pixie dust to visit both Arendelle

and the Hundred Acre Wood

It's a good thing Pooh was nice enough to share his honey!!

Our next VIS (Very Important Stop) was HERE:

This store, much like Mitsukoshi in Epcot's Japan, might as well just take all of our money as soon as we walk in.

L got hugs from Buzz and Duffy before we got down to making some purchases! We got a few packs of the Disney mystery mini-character packs, the boys got a couple of tsum tsums, DH got a book, and I ended up with the purchase-with-purchase beach towel at check out.

Before we moved on, we stopped to look up Peter Pan's nose:

(If soylent green is PEOPLE, does that mean pixie dust is WIRE?? No, I refuse to kill the magic.)

The boys were whining a little about who gets to pick where we go next, etc. I shut it down by reminding them that it was DH's birthday and HE was in charge of picking where we would go!

I know we looked around the pin station for awhile, and eventually made our way to the Marketplace Co-op. I love it in there! I went nuts over all of the fun artwork

There was a very sad moment when DH went over to see if the DTech place could make a phone case for me...they couldn't. I was so sad I had tears in my eyes. Not like spoiled baby tears, but genuine sad tears because that was my most wanted souvenir. So, if you have a Samsung 6 Edge, they do not have cases for you...yet. I'm sure they will when I don't have one anymore, LOL!!

We moved on, and X and DH enjoyed watching the glass blower

and I daydreamed about castles...

and X made me take pictures of EVERYTHING involving Stitch. I won't bore you with the gazillion that I took, but here's a couple of his favorites:

I was chomping at the bit to get to World of Disney, so that's where we went next!

L found a Darth Maul Donald hat:

It was SO CROWDED in there!! It was unreal. It was hard to look at things. DH was looking for a Wall-E mug that a co-worker had requested but we couldn't find one anywhere. He asked a CM, who led him to the one and only Wall-E related mug that they currently had on property. Not just in World of Disney, but ON PROPERTY. Crazy. It was a cute boxed mug set, one with Wall-E and one with Eve. They both had cutouts on the side, that when put together, made a heart shape. DH sent the guy at work a text to see if he wanted it, and he did, so we picked that up as well as a vintage attraction poster set. DH went to check out, while the boys and I went outside to wait for him.

As a child (actually, still to this day), DH LOVED legos, so he was super excited for the next shop. The Lego Store!

We took lots of pictures

One of our favorite things in here was the cool technology where you scanned in a barcode of a lego kit, and the screen in front of you showed a 3D image of the finished project. Very cool.

Soon it was time to say goodbye to legoville and move along

Hello from DTD, from one Disney couple to another:

We kept walking and getting hotter and hotter...we stopped at a Joffrey's tea shop and DH and I each got a frozen chai (twice in one trip!!) and the kids got frozen lemonade. We sat to drink those and enjoyed a nice view of The Boathouse.

It's so pretty!

We had a groupon for Characters in Flight, but they were grounded for the afternoon. They said they couldn't fly if lighting was within 25 miles or something?? It was such a calm, hot day that we were very confused and I was very disappointed.

Everyone was getting tired, and no one wanted to walk back to the Marketplace to catch a bus, so we decided to play Transportation Roulette!!

We went to the Westside resort ferry launch, and hopped on the first one we saw, the ferry to Old Key West.

this was such a beautiful ferry ride!! The scenery is gorgeous, and the breeze off the river is so nice.

We loved the look of this resort, it is so pretty!! But we'll just hold these photos close to our hearts and remember it that way because...

no amount of pretty makes me want to deal with the sheer size of the place. It's massive!!

We found our way to a bus stop and waited awhile for a bus to the MK to roll up. We got to the MK and immediately switched to a Wilderness Lodge bus, and were back to our resort in no time.

DH and the kids went to swim while I took a shower and changed for out next destination. Where were we headed??

Part Three coming up in a day or two!!

We love Kona Cafe's breakfast. Dinner is pretty good there, also.

It looks like you had a nice time at Downtown Disney. Truth be told, I'm not much of a fan of DD. I really like to limit souvenirs, so I prefer to shop in the parks. Wolfgang Puck Express is one of my favorite quick service restaurants, so it's sometimes worth the trip.

Transportation Roulette sounds like fun if you're not in a hurry. I've never been to Old Key West. You're right, that place is huge!

What a fun afternoon at Downtown Disney! You guys went to so many stores! All the artwork at the Marketplace Co-op looks adorable!!

Hi there! I am new to your TR! I have been reading it over the last couple of days and am all caught up :)
First of all, your family is adorable! Your boys are too cute and funny!
I totally agree with you about US/IOA - I've been a couple of times and while it's certainly a cool park I can do without it.
I'll be going back just me and my son in Dec 2016 and I decided to skip it this time. As much as I'd love to see the new Diagon Alley stuff (it wasn't open last time I was there, just Hogsmeade) it's just too much of a hassle to leave WDW. I'd much rather stay in the Disney bubble ;)
And UGH, those girls! I definitely would have given them a piece of my mind! I can't stand girls who treat other females that way. So immature! Not to mention, you are NOT fat at ALL. How obnoxious! It must be a US/IOA thing lol ;)

Loved all your Animal Kingdom pics! I used to think Animal Kingdom was just alright but as I've gotten older I just love it. The theming, all the details, it is just a gorgeous park :goodvibes
And such a fun afternoon in DTD! My son is OBSESSED with Legos and even though we have a Lego store where we live, I know we will have to make a trip to the Lego store there. I totally agree about Old Key West too! It's a beautiful resort but it's so huge! Same with Saratoga Springs. They're just so spread out, I can't imagine staying there as nice as they are.

Looking forward to reading more!

Last edited:
We love Kona Cafe's breakfast. Dinner is pretty good there, also.

It looks like you had a nice time at Downtown Disney. Truth be told, I'm not much of a fan of DD. I really like to limit souvenirs, so I prefer to shop in the parks. Wolfgang Puck Express is one of my favorite quick service restaurants, so it's sometimes worth the trip.

Transportation Roulette sounds like fun if you're not in a hurry. I've never been to Old Key West. You're right, that place is huge!

DTD was fun this time! After you get past the Marketplace, the construction makes things a little crowded, but when it's finished it's going to be really nice. I understand about wanting to limit souvenirs. Last year we barely got anything, and this year we had to make up for it :)

Yeah, transportation roulette won't work most of the time, but it was fun since we had the time. We probably would never have seen OKW if we didn't.

What a fun afternoon at Downtown Disney! You guys went to so many stores! All the artwork at the Marketplace Co-op looks adorable!!

The artwork was amazing. I wanted ALL of it, but settled for an It's a Small World magnet and a few postcard prints.

Hi there! I am new to your TR! I have been reading it over the last couple of days and am all caught up :)
First of all, your family is adorable! Your boys are too cute and funny!
I totally agree with you about US/IOA - I've been a couple of times and while it's certainly a cool park I can do without it.
I'll be going back just me and my son in Dec 2016 and I decided to skip it this time. As much as I'd love to see the new Diagon Alley stuff (it wasn't open last time I was there, just Hogsmeade) it's just too much of a hassle to leave WDW. I'd much rather stay in the Disney bubble ;)
And UGH, those girls! I definitely would have given them a piece of my mind! I can't stand girls who treat other females that way. So immature! Not to mention, you are NOT fat at ALL. How obnoxious! It must be a US/IOA thing lol ;)

Loved all your Animal Kingdom pics! I used to think Animal Kingdom was just alright but as I've gotten older I just love it. The theming, all the details, it is just a gorgeous park :goodvibes
And such a fun afternoon in DTD! My son is OBSESSED with Legos and even though we have a Lego store where we live, I know we will have to make a trip to the Lego store there. I totally agree about Old Key West too! It's a beautiful resort but it's so huge! Same with Saratoga Springs. They're just so spread out, I can't imagine staying there as nice as they are.

Looking forward to reading more!

Hello and Welcome!! I'm glad you're here :):)

US/IOA...it's just a whole other animal entirely, that's for sure!!

I hope your son enjoys the lego store at DTD!! It's so much fun to see all of the different sets and to see all of the lego formations around the area.

Enjoy your trip in 12/16!! That's the next time we'll be back as well ::yes::

We had a slow wait at Kona for lunch last year as well. I wonder if it was just two off days or if it's a slower service?

Want to know something funny? I think I've only ever been to DTD in the morning once! Every other time has been during the evening as far as I can remember! I never got to the toy store to look for tsum tsums (probably a good thing - I'm obsessed with them and the game lol) but it looks like you guys had fun on your DH's birthday! :)

Hey Samantha! Just want to let you know I may fall behind if you do any updates this week, b/c tomorrow we're headed to FLORIDA and UNIVERSAL :cheer2::cheer2: Yup, us and good ol' TS Ericka lol. Hoping Orlando doesn't get hit too bad and at the worst we maybe get a couple washed out days. Anyway, really I just felt like letting one of my Disboard friends know we were headed down and you were the lucky one I picked ;) I'll be sure to catch up when we get back - unless we're holed up in the resort waiting out the storm :scared1: then I'll spend my time right here on the Dis!

We had a slow wait at Kona for lunch last year as well. I wonder if it was just two off days or if it's a slower service?

Want to know something funny? I think I've only ever been to DTD in the morning once! Every other time has been during the evening as far as I can remember! I never got to the toy store to look for tsum tsums (probably a good thing - I'm obsessed with them and the game lol) but it looks like you guys had fun on your DH's birthday! :)

This was the first time I'd ever been during the morning! In previous trips I was there in the late afternoon or evening.

I'm obsessed with tsum tsums too. I had to wean myself off of the game for awhile...it didn't work. I love the bingo cards, but I go through them so quickly. I hate waiting for new cards!!

Hey Samantha! Just want to let you know I may fall behind if you do any updates this week, b/c tomorrow we're headed to FLORIDA and UNIVERSAL :cheer2::cheer2: Yup, us and good ol' TS Ericka lol. Hoping Orlando doesn't get hit too bad and at the worst we maybe get a couple washed out days. Anyway, really I just felt like letting one of my Disboard friends know we were headed down and you were the lucky one I picked ;) I'll be sure to catch up when we get back - unless we're holed up in the resort waiting out the storm :scared1: then I'll spend my time right here on the Dis!

Ugh! I thought about you when I heard Ericka was coming!! I knew it was almost trip time. Hopefully she won't mess up too many days! I keep hearing that Monday and Tuesday are the days most likely to be affected.

Be safe and have fun and then come tell me how it went!!

Ugh! I thought about you when I heard Ericka was coming!! I knew it was almost trip time. Hopefully she won't mess up too many days! I keep hearing that Monday and Tuesday are the days most likely to be affected.

Be safe and have fun and then come tell me how it went!!
Do you believe they just totally cancelled our flight tonight??!! I almost had a complete meltdown :eek: :scared1: We were supposed to fly out of Hartford, CT. tonight at 7:24 and get in to Orlando at 10:00; JetBlue cancelled citing a weather pattern that suddenly changed. They booked us on the same flight for tomorrow night but DH called and luckily got us on another flight out tonight :thumbsup2 It's a closer airport but leaves a little later, but at least we aren't losing a day! Crossing our fingers the flight we're on now isn't cancelled.......

Do you believe they just totally cancelled our flight tonight??!! I almost had a complete meltdown :eek: :scared1: We were supposed to fly out of Hartford, CT. tonight at 7:24 and get in to Orlando at 10:00; JetBlue cancelled citing a weather pattern that suddenly changed. They booked us on the same flight for tomorrow night but DH called and luckily got us on another flight out tonight :thumbsup2 It's a closer airport but leaves a little later, but at least we aren't losing a day! Crossing our fingers the flight we're on now isn't cancelled.......

Oh my gosh!! That is so stressful!! I'm crossing my fingers for you for sure.
I'm glad you were able to find another flight out tonight at least.

Stupid weather!! I'm so sorry it's impacting your trip. Maybe this will be the worst of it and once you get there it will be smooth sailing!

Happy Saturday!!

I made it through my first PTA meeting of the year! I rambled and made jokes and everyone there probably thought I was total wacko, BUT we had a great turnout. Let's just hope it continues.

But, enough about all that. Time to carry on with the report!

Chapter Eight Part Three

After swimming and showering, we were feeling human again...

...or at least on the way to feeling that way.

It was time to take a bus to DH's choice of park for his birthday evening.

Epcot!!

Can't get enough of that gorgeous Spaceship Earth.

We had made three fast passes, but only used one. Really, we only had TIME for one, because we had a dinner reservation at 5:30. But our first stop was to use a FP, and we headed here:

We were feeling competitive. You see, last year, L and I designed a car together and won. And our first ride on TT of this trip, L designed with DH and THEY won. So we decided L must be the car designing superstar. But we needed proof. This ride would be kids vs. adults.

DH and I made this:

Um...I want one of those in real life. I have nowhere cool to drive it, but I still want it. Maybe MTV can do an episode of Cribs at my house and I can show it off. Not the actual car, but just this picture.

"Hello and welcome to my crib! Are you here to see my sweet ride? Yo, check this out. This is a photo of a car I designed at Epcot."

And the audience would be like

soooo bored.

*sigh*

Sidetracked, sorry.

The boys designed THIS car:

I called it the Noisy Cricket because it reminded me of the tiny weapon J (Will Smith) gets in Men in Black.

See?? Similar.

Soon it was racing time.

So who won??

THE ADULTS WON!!!!!!

To be fair, we only won by two points, but a win is a win and the win was MINE!! (or ours, whatever. I don't like to share.)

Our ride photo was eaten by a monster, and the photopass people were not able to find it. I'm not totally devastated about that because it was probably horrifying. I had my sunglasses in my bag and couldn't get to them, so in the photo my eyes were probably closed or watery and just generally unflattering. I'm not too disappointed that I didn't get to see it. I might have cried.

By the time we finished riding, it was time to book it to the world showcase. We didn't want to be late for dinner.

We ended up being early for dinner. Go figure.

Germany's shops were calling our names, so we stopped in there for a few minutes first.

I corrected my mistake from last year and got the required leiderhosen Mickey ears pic:

X was taking his love for pretzels a little too far. Obviously he needed to get dinner immediately.

So we went to check in for DH's birthday meal

at Biergarten!

We had never eaten here before, and we were all pretty excited. Our reservation was for 5:30, but I think we checked in closer to 5:10. We were seated almost immediately. Our waitress was ADORABLE, and I'm so sad I didn't note her name (oops, I did it AGAIN!! Grr!!). She told us she had just finished her training and it was her first night on her own. If she hadn't said that we'd never have known. She was so good at her job. She was pleasant and cheerful, incredibly helpful, and was really just everything you could ever want in a server. She didn't hover, but she was always there if we needed her. It was like she could read our minds.

The place was pretty much empty at the time, and she told us that only one side of the buffet was open at the moment, but the other side would be open soon.

DH and I ordered the beer flight before we all went up to get our food.

Every single beer was good. My favorite was the one on the left, the Schofferhofer Grapefruit. Oh. My. Gosh. Unfortunately, we don't have this locally, which is a real shame. We've found a couple that are just ok, but none compare to the Schofferhofer. I think I'm going to ask one of our liquor stores if they'll order some. All they can do is say no, right??

Anyway...

I got some pictures of our plates, but they aren't very attractive. I can tell you that X was disappointed by the pretzel rolls. The ones I had were good, so I gave him one of those, and he was happier. He had gotten his out of a different area than I did. The cold salads I had were great - potato, macaroni, and tomato. We liked the potato dumplings, the beef was good, the schnitzel was good...we liked almost everything that we tried.

The disappointing part was dessert. We didn't really like any of the options. The quality wasn't there, unfortunately.

You know what was quality though?? The ambiance.

I love everything about the interior of Biergarten. It's just perfect.

Just after we'd paid, the oompa band came out. The whole reason we'd picked the 5:30 meal time was to sync up with the band's first performance (which I think was at 5:45 or 5:50??), and we were worried we'd miss it. We were glad we didn't!

After watching for a bit, we left for our next adventure in the big, wide World (Showcase)!

Where to next??

Stick around and find out soon pixiedust:

ooh, Biergarten! We've thought about eating here but we're always wary of the "family seating" especially when it's just the two of us

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter