Your thoughts on Poly VS BC

MMrules

DIS Veteran
I am planning a trip in July 2011 with extended family. They are DVC members at SSR we are not. That being said I am trying to decide where to stay. My dream is the Poly...whats not to love???? However, I have been pricing it (with no discounts as of yet) and it is going to cost me an arm and a leg.
BC is at least $500 cheaper, which doesn't sound like a lot but in this price range it is huge! I have stayed at BC before and loved it :lovestruc. I am just hoping I can get some expert advice as to the pros and cons of each and what you would do if you had to pick one or the other? Is it worth the extra to be on the monorail? I am sure it is...but I was hoping to hear from DIS experts :)

It depends on which park you like to go to. My husband likes the Epcot resorts because you can walk to EPCOT and take the boat to HS. (You can also walk to HS if you are ambitious.) The pool at BC is great and the Cape May at the BC has a character breakfast. There are a lot of restaurants within walking distance, including those at the Swan and Dolphin. My sister likes to stay at the POLY because she likes to go to MK and you can take a boat or the monorail. You are also within walking distance of the transportation center. She always gets a Theme Park view, so the views are amazing...the fireworks, the lights-on-the-boats show at night, etc. I've stayed at both and love them. But, truthfully, I wouldn't hesitate to stay anywhere at Disney...I just love to be there!

Thanks Jerseygirl for the feedback....

The problem is I like both parks the same!!! We have 2 little boys so the ride on the monorail would be great and fun for them. However, the pool at BC is superior and they would love it! We also like to eat at Epcot so we figure after swimming at the pool in the afternoons we could head over there to eat and fireworks. I know both are great choices...but saving some money at BC could also be a plus! decisions, decisions!

The Poly doesn't have hot tubs :scared1::scared1::scared1:
(What were they thinking?!)
I'd hate to spend all that $$$ and have no hot tub! ;)

No Hot tubs!!!! That is a good point!!!

Of course we are going in July so I am not sure if we will need to be any hotter!!!:lmao:

I think it really comes down to how much time you spend at your resort. If you spend quite a bit time there swimming and enjoying your resort, then I would choose BC. We have stayed at both, and I would choose BC over the Poly any day for the pool, rooms, restaurants, theming and close proximity to EPCOT. If you loved the whole airy feel of the BC, then I'm thinking you won't much like the older-feeling and darker Poly. Being on the monorail is great, that is for sure, but I'm not sure that one thing can trump all the BC has to offer.

Good luck! I know you'll have a wonderful vacation no matter where you decide to stay!

My boys will be 4 and 6 at the time we are going. Therefore, we are not park warriors at this time in our lives. Our last stay was at CBR and the boys loved the Pirate pool. This time we are staying longer and I want a larger room b/c we do try to go back at a decent time for baths and down time (It helped avoid any meltdowns last fall). So the room and hotel fun is a plus. I guess I was set on the monorail at first but now looking back, hubby and I have fantastic memories of the BC....course we were childless and it seemed so much easier :rotfl2:!!!! I am feeling like BC may win (esp. with Hubby's love of it!).

I didn't know how old your boys were when I first replied.....

Will you be using your own strollers? If so, then you may want to rethink being on the monorail. There is no joy in folding and unfolding a stroller or two to travel on the buses WHILE you are trying to hold or corral two little ones as you may recall from your past stay at CBR. If you're using your own stroller or two vs. renting them in the parks, then I change my vote to the Poly or another monorail resort.:goodvibes

While we prefer the Epcot location I would much rather go to the Poly than anywhere else...it is incredible. They do not have a separate hot tub but there is a semicircle with hot jets by the slide in the volcano pool, close to Capt Cooks.

I didn't know how old your boys were when I first replied.....

Will you be using your own strollers? If so, then you may want to rethink being on the monorail. There is no joy in folding and unfolding a stroller or two to travel on the buses WHILE you are trying to hold or corral two little ones as you may recall from your past stay at CBR. If you're using your own stroller or two vs. renting them in the parks, then I change my vote to the Poly or another monorail resort.:goodvibes

I should have clarified their ages in the beginning....
I will be taking our own strollers (at least one, but probably for each, the older one can be lazy at times;)). We have already gone down 3 times with the boys so I have had the joys of strollers on the buses. We stayed at AKL and CBR with our boys and the strollers were ok. They fold up small and my hubby is a very patient man as far as toting them for the kids. So I am still on the fence. There are such good points to both....I am just trying to crunch numbers and praying for a discount for the public (I won't get a pin code so that hope is out).

There is another thread asking essentially the same question here. You may want to keep an eye on it as well, because you may see some thoughts over there that you don't get here.

Excuse me if I paraphrase what I said over there...

I think it really boils down to the theme you prefer the most, and where you plan to spend your time. If you're going to be in the Magic Kingdom a lot, the Poly is a no-brainer. It's convenient to the MK, TTC, GF and CR, and really does have the most opportune location of all the Disney Resorts, (and in my ever so humble opinion, the best theme).

The BC is close to the Epcot and DHS areas, so if you're going to be spending a lot of time around there, the BC may be your best bet. Stormalong Bay definitely helps the argument for lodging at the Beach Club. It is easily the best "pool" on property.

With a stroller, I would seriously consider being on the monorail line. It's a much easier on and off situation.

I hope you have a great trip, no matter which resort you choose. In the end, as long as you go with your gut feeling, you really can't go wrong with either resort.

Thanks Jerseygirl for the feedback....

The problem is I like both parks the same!!! We have 2 little boys so the ride on the monorail would be great and fun for them. However, the pool at BC is superior and they would love it! We also like to eat at Epcot so we figure after swimming at the pool in the afternoons we could head over there to eat and fireworks. I know both are great choices...but saving some money at BC could also be a plus! decisions, decisions!

You're welcome! BC is a great choice and you can eat well with the $500 you are saving.

We love both of them too.

If you are spending alot of time with your friends since they are dvc they can use the Poly pool with you. They cant do that at Stormalong Bay.

I also like the resort activities at the Beach Club better. Lots of pool games, my dh and one ds were obsessed with bingo one time ($1 a card)movie and campfire on the beach etc.

Best of luck deciding.

I am thinking I will book Poly :lovestruc. Then if there are no specials that are offered I will downgrade to BC to save some money. Seeing that we will most likely spend more time at MK the Poly just makes more sense....plus my dream is to go there so I need to make it come true!:)

Thanks for all the help...I know both are great, but I don't want to do the split stay b/c with all the kid stuff I have to bring that would be too stressful to waste time packing!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter