Your honest opinion of CBR

dmcfa2504

Mouseketeer
Hi all!

Just got free dining for Sept-Oct stay. The only room available at the time was the Pirate room at CBR. Read a bunch of reviews today. What's your opinion on it? We stayed at CSR last year, and didn't mind the walk around the pond at all. However, I'm concerned CBR only has a curtain before the bathroom vanity and not a door, as we are traveling with two other adults. I thought all moderates had the sliding door? Too bad this was so limited, really wanted POR.

Hi all!

Just got free dining for Sept-Oct stay. The only room available at the time was the Pirate room at CBR. Read a bunch of reviews today. What's your opinion on it? We stayed at CSR last year, and didn't mind the walk around the pond at all. However, I'm concerned CBR only has a curtain before the bathroom vanity and not a door, as we are traveling with two other adults. I thought all moderates had the sliding door? Too bad this was so limited, really wanted POR.

POR has curtains too. The regular CBR rooms do have a door. We didn't stay in the pirate rooms, but we enjoyed CBR. We found the resort really relaxing. The resort is spread out, but because of that it never seemed crowded. We never had any problems with the buses either.

I have never been to CBR but the last time I was in one of the resorts that had a curtain there was a door for the bathroom as well. The curtain blocked off the vanity area and to the right of vanity was the door leading to bathroom itself. It may be the same way in CBR which should not be an issue at all since you'll still have plenty of privacy. You'll have to wait for people who have been to CBR to confirm if its the same, but i wanted to let you know my own experience in case it would help.

Hi all!

I think you will get solid information and more replies on this board.

We've stayed there several times, always in the Pirate rooms, and we really like it. Our sons are always in tow, so the Pirate room is more for them, but DH and I do get a kick out of the decor. The only thing I am not a huge fan of is the double bed, but it's comfy, so not a deal breaker. We just booked 2 Pirate rooms for November, and my sister's fiance, who is 45, is thrilled about it haha! So you may love it! There is a curtain (a very cool curtain, btw...) between the vanity and the room, but the bathroom off to the side of the vanity area has a proper door. As for the resort itself, we've always found it very quiet, and really pretty. It's easy to relax there and never seems too crowded. We've never minded the walk to the pool/restaurant area- and if you were at CSR and didn't mind that, you should be fine. To be fair, though, we always drive from Nashville so if we get lazy we'll just drive down to swim or refill our cups. Last I knew, there was mention of a bus that would take people exclusively to Old Port Royale, but we never got on it, so it may not even be a thing now. As far as buses to the parks go, we've found we're either first or last, but it's never been an issue catching the first one that comes along. Overall I definitely recommend it.

Funny story - Traveled with a friend who had a thing about bathrooms. She could not stand to hear or watch anyone brush their teeth, or have anyone watch/hear her brush her teeth. Same thing with number 1 and number 2. She actually woke me up at 7am and asked me to leave our shared room so she could use the bathroom. I won't be sharing a room with her again in the future.

Unless your friends have issues like this the curtain for the vanity will be OK. No one can see you naked through it. There is a door to the toilet/shower area.

Wow! I don't think that that should be a problem. We actually stayed with the same couple last year at CSR, and everything worked out really well.

Glad to hear people have had a positive experience. I just assumed most of the online reviews I had read are from crotchety people who like to fill out online reviews.

We stayed there for our first ever New Year's Eve trip, basically the only thing available as we decided to go on the 30th of Dec! Wasn't expecting much, but found that we really enjoyed the resort. In spite of it being rather large, it was well laid out, and the food court was very good. Also the restaurant Shutters was a great surprise, great food! The transportation to parks was great, only long time was coming back from MK on NYE, but that was a madhouse for everybody! Only thing that I could even say negative was the damp smell in our room, but there was no place to move us, and it subsided after a bit of airing out, and we always take an air freshener. DH and I decided we would go again!

Some people have reported that the mattresses on the pirate room beds were too thin. When we stayed in a pirate room, the mattresses were thin, but they weren't uncomfortable to us and we really enjoyed the theme of the rooms, especially the pirate ship beds. As others have said, the curtain can be pulled close to separate the sink/vanity from the rest of the room, but the actual bathroom has a door.

CBR is definitely our favorite moderate hotel. We stayed in one of the newly updgraded rooms last fall and they now had doors instead of curtians. However, I haven't heard of door being added to the pirate rooms. It is a larger resort and as such, you don't get the over-crowded feeling. The food court is great and we've never had bus issues. Because of the size, there have been several occassions where we've had our "island" pool all to ourselves and never saw another soul.

We stayed last September/October and liked it a lot. We didn't get a referbed room (that's why I say liked not loved!) but that won't happen to you!! I have also heard that the pirate room mattress is thin. I did love the resort itself. The food court had great options, the pool was awesome and we never waited long for the bus.

CBR is one of my favorite Disney resorts. The colors and vibe make me happy! I recommend it to friends and family. I have nothing negative to say about CBR. Our first stay in Aruba section many nights we were too tired to walk across the bridge to the food court, but that was because we were pounding pavement in the parks all day and go, go, going! We were exhausted! We go at a slower pace now and it seems silly that the food court felt so far away.

The pirate rooms are adorable, but I would only pick a pirate room if I had a child that would enjoy it. I prefer a room discount so free dining wouldn't sway me, but if it suits your purposes I say go for it! Have a great vacation!

My biggest concern for you is location. The Pirate Rooms are the ones farthest away from the food court and themed pool. The location was the least desirable, which is exactly why Disney themed them.

I recently stayed in CBR in the pirate rooms with two young children. I really loved the room theme and the resort itself but it is a long walk for kids to take to the main building. Thankfully it does have bus service just for the hotel which can take you to other locations inside the resort.

Love love love CBR. It is hands down my favorite Disney resort. I especially like staying in Jamacia, which is right across the bridge from Old Port Royale and the main pool.
As for the bathroom issue the OP mentioned: my most recent stay at CBR was in October 2014, and the rooms had recently been refurbished. There is now a door instead of a curtain that blocks off the bathroom.
image.jpg

I would recommend CBR to anyone. There is just something about the vibe of the place, the decor, how colorful it is, the beauty of the grounds, etc. that draws me in. Can't say enough good things about it.

Love love love CBR. It is hands down my favorite Disney resort. I especially like staying in Jamacia, which is right across the bridge from Old Port Royale and the main pool.
As for the bathroom issue the OP mentioned: my most recent stay at CBR was in October 2014, and the rooms had recently been refurbished. There is now a door instead of a curtain that blocks off the bathroom.
View attachment 101898

I would recommend CBR to anyone. There is just something about the vibe of the place, the decor, how colorful it is, the beauty of the grounds, etc. that draws me in. Can't say enough good things about it.

The Pirate Rooms still have the themed curtain separating the sink area from the sleeping area. I've also seen on 2 different threads people complaining that the door doesn't close all of the way and leaves a bit of a gap. Not sure if that is important to anyone, just thought I would mention it.

Couple quick questions on CBR (I'm overly excited that I'm reading such good reviews here):
- How far of a walk is it really from the pirate room area (Trinidad South I think) to the food court? I read conflicting stories of anywhere from 10 min to 30 min. What is accurate?
- Do the buses come regularly and do they get over crowded? Those were the only other knocks I've heard.

Really looking forward to staying there.

1) Not very long at all - the walk is beautiful.
2) Busses come very often here. Every few minutes when we were there a few months ago! I was there on NYE and the busses were never over crowded.

Couple quick questions on CBR (I'm overly excited that I'm reading such good reviews here):
- How far of a walk is it really from the pirate room area (Trinidad South I think) to the food court? I read conflicting stories of anywhere from 10 min to 30 min. What is accurate?

The walk from the furthest point of Trinidad South to OPR and the Main Feature pool is 11 minutes at a leisurely pace. You could walk around the promenade that circles the entire resort in under 30 minutes.

- Do the buses come regularly and do they get over crowded? Those were the only other knocks I've heard.

Really looking forward to staying there.

Yes, the buses come very regularly. We've always gone during Free Dining when the resort is at capacity and always get a seat on the bus when heading to the parks.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!