Your Good and Bad and even the ugly on the Meal Plan

July at WDW is brutal but still fun. You will want to be able to sit down in A/C. We do the DDP every time and did the DXDP once. We ate a lot of lunches at the resort to avoid the crowds but we always went back to the resort for afternoon swimming. You will need to make your reservations ahead of time especially for the popular meals. I would make them now.

We would only do the DDP if it were free and the offer made the price better a room discount that may be offered. You end up spending more for the DDP in most cases than the food you would actually eat. I have a 2013 pricing analysis spreadsheet comparing out of pocket, the dining plan and tables in wonderland. Of all 3 options, the dining plan costs us quite a bit more money.

We would only do the DDP if it were free and the offer made the price better a room discount that may be offered. You end up spending more for the DDP in most cases than the food you would actually eat. I have a 2013 pricing analysis spreadsheet comparing out of pocket, the dining plan and tables in wonderland. Of all 3 options, the dining plan costs us quite a bit more money.

Many folks don't have access to TiW.

We love the dining plan--the deluxe plan in particular since it gives us the flexibility to eat wherever we want:) We always upgrade from the regular dining plan and have always came way out ahead from what we spent on meals compared to the price it was to upgrade. It is a personal preference but I can't imagine Disney without the deluxe dining plan! Love it!!

OK just my 2 cents here...
We are planning a trip for Sept of this year, and we will have the DxDDP. I know know all the arguments against it and I know many who will think we are wasting our money/time on it.

But we have 3 Adults/1 Disney Adult/1 9yr old. No for us it looks like it will work out well. My oldest DS(15) loves steak and would eat it 3 meals a day if i would let him, plus he is like a bottomless pit when it comes to food. My youngest DS (9) can eat like an adult most of the time. My DH is semi picky and also lactose intolerant. DBro is diabetic. Me I'm a bit of a foodie, but don't always eat a lot at one time.

We are going to be onsite for 7 nights and plan on spreading our meals out over the 8 days we will be there. 4 of the 8 days will only have breakfast and dinner, 3 dinners will be either signatures or dinner shows, 3 meals will be character meals. Yes we will probably do a few CS but not many. And as far as snacks I know they will get used for more then just bottled water with 4 guys on the trip I have no doubt that we will get our money's worth.

Besides I spent more in 2010 when we went last and we stayed offsite :scared1: Granted there were 6 of us then but we were only in orlando for 6nights then. I spent way more per person for food that year then doing the DxDDP this year. In 2010 we averaged about $132 per person/day :scared1: OOP not including tips:scared1:. So about $99 adult/day and $26 child/day does not sound too bad to me.

Plus I don't have to worry about how much the bill is other then tip. Which will make my vacation a lot better.

Do I think DDP is a good thing? Yes I do but that is just for our family. I know it wouldn't work for everyone nor is it cost effective for everyone. But that is part of what is great about WDW. A disney vacation can be fit into many budgets if it is worked out right and planned.

Well that is just my 2cents on the subject.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter