Your favorite kids halloween movie?? Need suggestions!!

Suzanne74

DIS Veteran
We are having my 6yr old nephew down next weekend and both kids want to watch a somewhat scary halloween movie. Everything I find is 30-60min preschool type shows or PG13 movies that I would never let them watch. I need something in the middle. My dd4 (going on 14 :rotfl: ) is just not into the preschool halloween shows, she wants a "spooky scary movie" and I know she could take it as long as it is kid scary - same with nephew. Something geared towards elementary school-aged kids would be perfect.

Would love ideas, doesn't have to be disney and doesn't have to be animated.

DIS is the only place I go so sorry if this is off topic - I know Mommy DISer's can help me :flower:

Thanks

I was obsessed with Mr. Boogedy when I was six or seven, but I don't know if you can rent that. It was scary enough for a six year old, but not so scary I couldn't sleep at night kind of movie.

Although short, Disney's The Legend of Sleepy Hollow is just spooky enough. It's only 30min. though. I showed it to my 3rd graders and they loved it.

the disney channel is playing all disney halloween movies from now til halloween,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,we`ve watched lizzie mcguires halloween movie , twitches and a few more last weekend. they were all good!

Look for a cartoon called "The Halloween Tree" It's a fun & spooky and edcational cartoon for the ages you mentioned. It shows how Halloween legends in diferent cultures came to be, all in the context of a pretty good story. I watch it with the kids whenever it is on.

Funny you should ask this question. I had the same dilemma last year with my 2 sons and my niece. Oldest then was 7, 5, 3. I agonized over a "kinda" spooky movie that wasn't too hokey and slightly scary.

We watched "Hocus Pocus" (which was even pretty good enough to keep the adults watching) and the kids LOVED it! They've already asked to watch it again this year.

It's a good movie because it has a lot of "lighter" moments, with some spooky ones too. It has a younger main character (little sister, maybe 7 or so) and the older characters are pre-teens.

Hope it helps, have a great time!!

thanks, these all seem like great ones, we are SO into Halloween in this house so the more suggestions, the better. As far as Hocus Pocus, our community recreation center does a spooky halloween party drive-in movie in the field next to it every year. That is the movie this year, we listen on an FM station, it is lots of fun. Hope it is good.

My 6 yr old LOVES Hocus Pocus! We made popcorn and watched last weekend...put us in the mood for Halloween. I saw the Disney Channel is playing a Halloween type movie every night in Oct.

My kids (ages 6 & 3) recently watched Tower of Terror & it seemed pretty tame.

DIS_D18865D.jpg

Hocus Pocus and Tower of Terror are really good. How about The Haunted Mansion? It's been awhile since I watched it, so I'm not sure if it would be too scary.

My 3.5 year old, Loves all the Disney Halloween Movies they are playing every night at 8 pm on DIsney Channel.
SHe loved Twiches, Halloween Town, The Littlest Vampire. And one thats not on Disney Channel that she loved was Haunted Mansion. We are going to see the Pooh and Heffalump Scary Halloween movie this weekend, Can't think of the name of it though. Sorry.
:maleficen :maleficen :maleficen :maleficen :maleficen

Oh I think dd will love Haunted Mansion - I forgot about that. She loves the ride and we rode it 5 times at MNSSHP a few weeks ago. Thanks!!

Try "SCOOBY-DOO and the WITCH'S GHOST" or "SCOOBY-DOO on ZOMBIE ISLAND" my DD5 loves both of those movies.

My 5 year old is hooked on Scary Godmother. It is a Cartoon Network movie - but I bought the DVD at KMart this week. Animated. A little scary - in a kid sort of way. I agree on Hocus Pocus and Haunted Mansion. My 5yo loves those - but does get a tad scared in HM during the scene when they are in the crypt and the skeletons come to life...

Last Halloween we got the movie "Abbot and Costello Meet Frankenstein" My boys 6 & 3yrs loved it. It was tame enough so we didnt' have to worry and yet scary enough for young kids. (I think the black/white movie adds to the effect). We turned off all the lights, and had a pizza picnic in the livingroom that night. The boys still talk about it today and thought it was "spooky".
They also enjoyed "The Haunted Mansion"

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter