Youngest kids you've let loose in WDW?

Disney is an incredible place for family fun. kids everywhere. so you think the people that would take a child for any reason don't know this ??? my kids stay close by.

The first memory of roaming the MK without parents was in 1977; I was 11 and my brother was 13. We had different interests than our parents did; they were more into shopping and relaxing and we were into the rides. As I recall, separating was my dad's idea; he suggested that we take off on our own for a few hours so we did. This was strictly inside the park; however. I don't think they would have trusted us with leaving the park & returning to our hotel. (anybody remember the Dutch Inn? I think we stayed there that trip.)

Whenever I read these threads I'm always struck by all the people who have kids

"that are incredibly well behaved and mature for their ages."

Am I the only one who has a 10yo boy who can't be trusted to go to the mailbox at the end of the driveway without getting lost?? Alone in Disney? Ha!!! It'd be a miracle if Space Mountain was still standing afterwards!!!!!

My 9 YO DS is just now allowed to go within a block of our house without us.

I know Disney World is magical, and mostly safe. However, if a child predator wants a kid, DW is a very fertile feeding ground. My DS is pretty responsible too, but it's the grownups I don't trust.

As others have said, too, it's a family vacation. DH and I will split up in the parks, doing what each individual kid likes, but no kid of mine will be allowed alone in the parks until they are 14.

Of course, some day this might get me onto Oprah or Ricki Lake for being overprotective. LOL

I think I would be sad if my teenager brought a friend and "I would be lucky to even see them". Not only will my son (an only child) not go off on his own, but I doubt I would allow him to bring a friend when he gets older. We have allowed him friends on weekends and camping trips, but our big vacations are strictly for family. I think if you show your kids that you enjoy their company then they wouldn't have a problem staying with you. Of course, we only have 1 child so don't have the problem of multiple ages with different interests.

pnelson,

How old is your DS? Mine is 15. As a 15y/o boy, he doesn't want to hang out with us. Or for that fact, do much of anything with us. Maybe mine is an exception but I think he fits very well into the 15 y/o boy category. We will do things together (including his friend) but I will not force him to stay at my heels and ruin the trip for all. JMHO

Why is it sad. I think it's the natural evolution of a child. I'd be curious to see how yours does as he gets older......

As the mom of an only child (DS is 9 now) I can relate to these concerns. DS, for now is very happy getting all the attention and hanging out with mom and dad on trips, but I too know that this will not last foever.It is natural to want to have someone your age to" hang with". DH and I have discussed this many time and when we think bringing a friend will make a better vacation for all, then that is what we will do.I cherish these times now that he really wants to be with us and hope they last as long as possible.My concern is having to pay for that friend at Disney!Oh by the way it will be a very long time before DS, friend or no friend goes off alone at disney.Haven't thought that far yet.
Jordan' MOM

We treasure our early trips when DS was younger...... but you are right, nothing lasts forever. I cringe when I think about the first time he ask to bring a girl, lol. I almost wish he stayed young.... but it is nice to see him grow and mature. And by the way.... the money you will spend for a friend will be worth it.

I think that all things and places "Disney" evoke a sense of safety and security in people. This discussion reminds me of a discussion a few months back about people leaving all of their valuable belongings(ie camcorders, digital cameras, etc.) strapped to their strollers as they went on to rides. People were appauld at the false sense of security.

Well our children are our most precious belongings. Just remember that all anyone has to do to enter these parks is buy a ticket, families and sickos alike. It is a sad reality, but it is reality. I personally would enjoy my vacation much more knowing that my children were safe.

As a child, I was not allowed to go around Busch Gardens in Williamsburg, Va, without my parents, until I was 15, and at that time it was with my church youth group, and we had to travel in groups of 6 or more. Safety in numbers:D

My kids are 10, 7 and 4. I just bought them tickets for a flight down to WDW. Mom and I are off to Vegas!!! I told the kids to grab a cab and tell the cabbie to take them to the Poly(That's where we made ressies for the little rugrats). I'm giving each a credit card and a note saying they can use it as long as it's for less than $100.00 on any one bill. Boy it sure will be nice for the Mrs. and I to get away for awhile........until the police find out what we've done and send us to PRISON!!!!

Sorry, at this point of my childrens lives I can't see letting them loose anywhere. I have just started letting my 10 year old head down to the store on his own, well, with friends anyway. I figure once we make this an annual trek and we all get used to the parks a lot more we will give them the opportunity to head off on short trips on thier own. But as many have said if you can't let your kids loose at WDW where can you let them be kids?

PS: I scanned some of the posts in this thread, not all of them so if it sounds like I'm making fun of someone, I'm not, I didn't read your post.:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter