Young Teen Girls

blue_river

<font color=coral>I do believe in fairies!<br><fon
Looking for opinions on attractions/rides and stuff for 12 and 15 year daughters. I have booked some character dinners because they both seemed enthusiastic about it - more for myself though..hehe. This is our first family vacation to WDW - i can't count the one day we went when DD was only 9months old. Also I was wondering if any other parents let kids around this age go off and do things by themselves and meet up again with them? For example, leaving them at DQ for 2 hours while we shop at DD? How safe are the parks???

My DD is 14 and she loves just about everything in Disney! The thrill rides especially. Girls are pretty good at that age. They still like Pooh because it's cute, but also love Tower of Terror! I don't know about letting them out by themselves. Only you know how responsible they are. My sister-in-law is 14 and I wouldn't let her out of my sight. Way to boy crazy and easily distracted. Your girls will probably like shopping with you at DTD.
Have fun!
Kimba

Well, I grew up near DL and loved going there all the way through high school so I think there will be plenty to do. I think hitting the water parks and DQ is a good plan for that age. For going off on their own, I think if you have walkie talkies or cells that I would split up for a couple of hours here or there and then meet back up again. You definitely know what is best for your kids. I, personally would be more comfortable doign that in one of the parks than in DTD. Don't know why.

Have a great trip!

Thanks for your replies! They are both very good kids, usually very aware of their surroundings and not boy crazy YET. I'm not sure if I will let them go off together or not (they've already asked me if it is safe and is why I asked if any other parents out there allow it). We'll definately bring the walkie talkies though. I guess I will have to see when I get there and how big the crowds really are. I imagine they will just love the water parks but I'm also hoping they don't mind Epcot and MGM because I am very interested in those parks because I've never been.

My DD11 loves to meet the characters & get autographs!!

Her favorite was Alladdin (had a huge crush on the guy portraying him!!)
She also fell for Prince Charming at 1900 Park Fare in the Grand Floridian.

Make sure you get autograph books for the girls upon your arrival.

Have fun!!

At 12 and 15 I would have no problem letting them explore the parks on their own. My 2 daughters went off on their own this past trip and they were 12 and 14. We even left them at the park (they had a cell phone) and they made it back to the Animal Kingdom Lodge by Disney busses all by theirselves. My 15 year old goes to the bowling alley, mall, movies by herself, I can't imagine not letting her wander around Disney by herself.

Just give them a time and a place to meet you and beat to death the fact that they must STAY TOGETHER at all times and they will be fine.

I let mine go off alone because we all wanted to do different things and we were making each other crazy, so we stayed together part of the day then we would split up....it worked out really well. Those two crazy girls ended up buying autograph books and standing in lines for autographs...something I thought they gave up way before!!!

MichelleVW - I chuckled out loud when I read your post - that is probably where I would find my two girls also. If I didn't have children, I'd be in the line up for autographs - BIG KID here. :crazy:

I feel much better knowing that others do give their older children some space at the world. I hope the resort stores sell the autograph books so that we will have them ready when we arrive in the theme parks.

blue_river said:
I feel much better knowing that others do give their older children some space at the world. I hope the resort stores sell the autograph books so that we will have them ready when we arrive in the theme parks.

They do sell them at the resorts.

You're girls will be fine as long as you give them plenty of ground rules and they stay together.

We are approaching this stage too (I have 12 year old twin girls). This year is a big NO for going around the parks by themselves, but we did go to DisneyQuest and DH and I relaxed with the internet and chocolate cake at the Cheesecake Factory while the girls went around a bit on their own (after we did the first two floors together, then they were only allowed on the floor below us and the floor above us).

I don't think I will let them go off much by themselves next year (age 13), but I may let them swim at the resort pool alone (we will see--depends on where we are staying too).

I was thinking that maybe around age 15 we would let them have time alone in the park, so I appreciate you posting this question. I was wondering what others do.

It is very hard for me as a mother to "imagine" what maturity level my girls will be at by a certain age. I just know what they are not ready for now.

DJ

I"m 14...so I might be able to help...I like most of the thrill rides and still the stuff in Fantasyland at MK...I've never been allowed to go off by myself, unless I was with my big sister (seven and a half years older) and her fiance....so yeah....If you have any questions feel free to PM me, I've been to WDW about 13 times so I know my way around....

MichelleVW said:
At 12 and 15 I would have no problem letting them explore the parks on their own. My 2 daughters went off on their own this past trip and they were 12 and 14. We even left them at the park (they had a cell phone) and they made it back to the Animal Kingdom Lodge by Disney busses all by theirselves. My 15 year old goes to the bowling alley, mall, movies by herself, I can't imagine not letting her wander around Disney by herself.

Just give them a time and a place to meet you and beat to death the fact that they must STAY TOGETHER at all times and they will be fine.

I let mine go off alone because we all wanted to do different things and we were making each other crazy, so we stayed together part of the day then we would split up....it worked out really well. Those two crazy girls ended up buying autograph books and standing in lines for autographs...something I thought they gave up way before!!!

Personally, me being 14, I think 12 is a little to early to go off by themselves...I probably would have freaked out at 12 :lmao:

It seems to be a tough call and a personal one I guess. Only each mother/father knows their children and how responsible they are. Perhaps I won't even have to make a decision, they may just be happy tagging along with us during the whole trip - or should I say - us tagging along with them? Haha. Thanks for all your input everyone. I appreciate the comments.

weirdpaintballr said:
Personally, me being 14, I think 12 is a little to early to go off by themselves...I probably would have freaked out at 12 :lmao:

The middle school that my kids went to has a yearly band trip to King's Dominion in Virgina, they let the kids go off on their own for a few hours...there are chaperones, but the kids are roaming around the park with their buddies, not the adults.

My kids are given freedom with major limits (like they know if they are 5 minutes late they are in HUGE trouble)....they are really independant and not shy in the least. They have flown from North Carolina to Guam by themselves, so maybe that's why I don't have a problem with them walking around Disney by themselves.

When I was a kid (13ish) we were dropped off at the amusement park by our house with no cell phone or anything....I really don't see Disney as any different that dropping them off at the mall or a football game for a few hours.

But you know your kids, and if it's something you and they want...go for it.

Start slow...and give EXACT times and places to meet and they will be fine.

I just talked to my 15 year old about this and she said, "mom, it's Disney, I feel safe there because Mickey is right next to me!!! :teeth: "

MichelleVW said:
The middle school that my kids went to has a yearly band trip to King's Dominion in Virgina, they let the kids go off on their own for a few hours...there are chaperones, but the kids are roaming around the park with their buddies, not the adults.

My kids are given freedom with major limits (like they know if they are 5 minutes late they are in HUGE trouble)....they are really independant and not shy in the least. They have flown from North Carolina to Guam by themselves, so maybe that's why I don't have a problem with them walking around Disney by themselves.

When I was a kid (13ish) we were dropped off at the amusement park by our house with no cell phone or anything....I really don't see Disney as any different that dropping them off at the mall or a football game for a few hours.

But you know your kids, and if it's something you and they want...go for it.

Start slow...and give EXACT times and places to meet and they will be fine.

I just talked to my 15 year old about this and she said, "mom, it's Disney, I feel safe there because Mickey is right next to me!!! :teeth: "

Well, I am responsible. I know what to do if i get in 'trouble', I've been taught well. I just don't think at 12 years old, a kid is responsible enough to roam around the World....Isn't the whole point of a trip to WDW to spend time with your family and have a good time? I know when I go to WDW, I like to spend time with everyone who goes with us....When the oldest is about 16, maybe 17, I would consider it....But, my big sis was probably 20 before we felt any need to seperate from the parents.....I dunno...I guess we just like to be with our group. :sunny:

When my DD was 12 we let her go do things by herself at Disney, like to the pool, get a snack, within the parks etc, So I would have no problem doing it with 2 of them. Like everyone says in school they go on trips by themself, or the mall with a friend. My DD has flown by herself since she was 6 so is very confident and independent and responsible. My DD is 14 now and if I told her she wasn't responsible enough to go anywhere alone she would ask me what drugs I was taking!

You all make very good points. I do let my girls go off shopping, to the mall, the movies etc. so I guess it really isn't that different. I think I was a little worried because we've never been there and don't know what to expect and also in a different country. We're from Canada. They would definately have to stay together at ALL times and since we have the walkie talkies that will make the biggest difference.

Weirdpaintballr: My 12 year old will be with her 15 year old sister and not alone at all. Of course it is a "family" trip as you said but my kids do like to have some space and independence and time away from us - especially on a week long trip. Being with us 24 hours - 7 days with no time to themselves would make us all crazy. Two hours apart here and there will not take away from family time. I really appreciate your comments though. It is nice to hear a teens point of view.

weirdpaintballr said:
I just don't think at 12 years old, a kid is responsible enough to roam around the World....Isn't the whole point of a trip to WDW to spend time with your family and have a good time? I know when I go to WDW, I like to spend time with everyone who goes with us....When the oldest is about 16, maybe 17, I would consider it....But, my big sis was probably 20 before we felt any need to seperate from the parents.....I dunno...I guess we just like to be with our group. :sunny:

I love spending time with my kids.....and vice versa, but occasionally we like to do separate things, and if we are together 24-7 at the parks AND the small hotel room, we all start to get a little cranky. It's good for all of us to take a little break from each other and then meet up again later....it makes for a much more enjoyable vacation for everyone.

I'm sure Blue River will do whatever makes her and her girls comfortable and they will have a great time. :thumbsup2

I think that letting your girls go off together would be great. They'll have a great time, as long as they know when and where to meet up. I personally have been able to explore parks with my older brother since he was 14 and I was 10. Now I'm the one who's 14 and going to Disney World soon, and I actually plan to go off with my 8 year old cousin ( more like my sister) for certain things (permission already granted, of course). I personally think its something that depends on 1. your girls and how responsible they are and 2. how well they get along. I think that if you decide to let them, they'll have a blast. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter