Young children?

bobbiwoz

I'm happy to dance with you!
Our family went last year in summer, and we all wilted. This year we're going for Halloween week. The children are nearly 3, 4 and 5 with those birthdays this December/Jan. We are the DGP, my DSis will be along as well as the young family our DS, DDiL and the kids.

We're going for 5 nights, they have park hoppers and water park passes. If we don't go to MGM or Epcot, is there anything that we would miss that you really think we should go to? My DS even suggested that we just do MK. Has any family done that with no regrets.

They will be back next year.

They want to go fishing,(1/2 hour max) and that will be either POR (harder to get to from VWL) or at FW. I understand that they rent cane poles at the bike shack. Has anyone done either with small kids? If we go to FW for that we will either take a boat or take surrey bikes over and see the horses other animals that are there.

We obviously are not going to do "too much" but we do want to hit some high points for the kids. How about the kids area at AK? Boneyard? Interesting enough for that aged children. Parents don't think the kids really would appreciat FoLK, they did it last year, and characters scared the one sitting close to the action.

I would like some suggestions from families with young children. At one point I had a reservation for the tea at GF with the oldest DGD and DDiL, but that's been cancelled because the younger DGD would be left out, no doll, she was under 3 so only a stuffed animal or something, so that is saved for the next time.

There will be Halloween activities, don't know the schedules yet. We have a LTT dinner ressie on Halloween's eve when we hope to do something Halloweenish afterwards.

They want to go to a water park. I understand that TL is the best for young children...is that the concensus here?

Bobbi:goodvibes

Hi Bobbi!

My kids hated Animal Kingdom, loved Playhouse Disney and the Honey I Shrunk the Kids playground at MGM and not much else, and basically everything at Magic Kingdom. Epcot--the fountains and the sparkles that light up on some of the pavers, and that was about it;) The Finding Nemo ride wasn't there at the time, but if it was it would've been a hit for that age. They were 3 and 4 at the time. Those are all near the entrance so you could easily stop by one evening for just a little bit if you need a break from MK.

Can't help with your other thoughts, those are things we haven't done. As long as you take it slow and listen to what they want to do (of all the things I remember as a kid, it's the mickey-mouse shaped butter they brought to our table at the Coral Reef) they'll have fun:thumbsup2

See, that's what I'm sort of afraid of, that we miss some really fine things.

Now, Playhouse Disney...is that something that the kids will be interested in only if they have watched a particular TV show? I believe the theater is standing room only, or sitting on floor...is that true? Also, if we wait and the oldest is actually 5 next June, will she still be interested?

They did like the safari last year, and Pochantas.

Bobbi:goodvibes

My oldest would not like me broadcasting this, but he had fun and he was almost 9! :lmao: You do sit on the floor-they have the kids get up and dance and stuff, when we were there streamers were shot out into the audience. The back seemed a bit less crowded than the front and you could still see fine. It was Bear in the big blue house, pooh and friends, and stanley when we were there-I thought I read it was someone other than Stanley now, though?:confused:

My dd was 2 1/2 when we last went. She loved MK. She also loved the Nemo show at AK. At Epcot, she liked the Nemo ride OK but we wouldn't spend a full day there with her. We like to spend most of our time at MK with 1/2 days at the other parks. MGM, we could have skipped. All she liked there was the honey I shrunk the kids playground, seeing woody and muppets show. She didn't care for the play house disney show, although she might like it now that she is 3.

Do they enjoy music/dancing/shows? Would they sit still for 20 to 30 minutes (not sure of the programme length) for a show?

If so, at MGM you might include:

Beauty & the Beast
Voyage of the Little Mermaid

Both have live actors.

I haven't taken little ones to WDW, but I took many to Disneyland. Needless to say, every child was different! *LOL*

At EPCOT--more a break from MK than a real "visit" as a previous poster noted:

Turtle Talk with Crush
Finding Nemo
Spaceship Earth (not sure if it will be open yet--reopening is running behind schedule)
Possibly the Kidcot stations around FW and WS.

Edited to add:

If you go to AK and can stay until the afternoon parade, it is cute! Saw it for the first time last March and loved it! I'm not a fan of the WDW daytime parades, but this one was worth seeing! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter