• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

You know you’re starting to get old when…

magicbob

DIS Veteran
You’ve ridden/seen all of the following:
Swan boats
Mike Fink Keel boats
Davy Crockett Canoes (no, they weren't motorized… the GUESTS did the paddling)
Mickey Mouse Review
Mission to Mars
If You Had Wings
America the Beautiful in Circle-Vision 360

Your KIDS have ridden:
20K Leagues Under the Sea
Skyway
Mr. Toad’s Wild Ride
Dream Flight

You remember:

Using a ticket for each ride.
The U.S.A. Bicentennial parade.
Bowling in the basement of Contemporary Resort (and watching a movie in the adjacent “theater”).
Polynesian and Contemporary were the only onsite hotels.
“Kids of the Kingdom” show.
Characters roaming the park randomly.
Meeting “Orange Bird” in Adventureland.
Michael Iceberg and the Amazing Iceberg Machine on the "elevator" stage where Cosmic Ray is now located.
Watching construction of Big Thunder Mountain Railroad (and later Splash Mountain).
Looking forward to the opening of EPCOT.
Walking up to King Stephan’s Banquet Hall (now CRT) in the morning and making a lunch reservation.
Watching fireworks from Tomorrowland Terrace without a reservation that included a $35 piece of cake/pie.
When Main Street had “real” shops, the Penny Arcade, House of Magic, Main Street Cinema, etc.

And the number one way to know you’re starting to get old…

When you’re celebrating your 25th Wedding Anniversary at WDW this year!

Wishing you a Happy and FABULOUS 25th Wedding Anniversary... :love:

Funny ! "YOU know when you are old"..... :cool1:

Ya'll must be my parents age.... because I feel I am 'old' but I identify more with the "KIDS" experiences... (20,000 leagues, skyway, etc)

However .... I do remember :
Using a ticket for each ride. ***** I actually still have some A tix... maybe worth a million dollars one day :rotfl2:
Polynesian and Contemporary were the only onsite hotels.
Looking forward to the opening of EPCOT.
Walking up to King Stephan’s Banquet Hall (now CRT) in the morning and making a lunch reservation.
When Main Street had “real” shops, the Penny Arcade, House of Magic, Main Street Cinema, etc.

My dream was to stay at the Poly. In 2002 I realized this dream and got married there. Remember 'having' to get to CRT "First thing" so I could get my lunch ressie there.... LOVED the magic store... bought a "Fly in an icecube" trick there when I was about 10.... (about 1975)

Also remember the characters roaming the parks. Got a pic hugging Donald Duck .. just walked up on him....when in high school... around 1982

Hugs and Congrats !
Mary

Remember most of these. Loved the magic store and if you had wings, that was one of my favorite rides in all of Disney. It's funny my brother hasn't been in about 25 to 30 years so he didn't know if you had wings was gone, and he asked me about it the last time I went. That was one of his favs also.

Disney should have a nation wide poll asking people to choose one ride they would like to see back then rebuild it. I think that would be pretty awesome.

oh my goodness! "kids of the kingdom"! I still have pictures of them with Mickey on their red sweaters! But I refuse to be "old" --I'll always be my Disney age: add the digits of your age, i.e. 52, 5+2=7 and you'll always be a kid! Congrats!

Thanks, now I'm really starting to feel my age. I remember all of those rides. Guess that is why we still go to Disney today, just to feel young....:thumbsup2 And we will be celebrating our 33rd anniversary.

I remember all those things WITH these additions:

1) going to "Disney World" meant going to the "Magic Kingdom." Was Magic Kingdom even used when that was all there was?

2) 1 of the 2 hotels was the "The Polynesian Village." I still use that sometimes out of habit and either get weird stares (younger CMs) or chuckles.

I loved the House of Magic. I still have a great Halloween mask from that shop. I also loved If You Had Wings.

This thread would be a better fit on the theme parks community board, so I'm going to move it there now.

I remember most of that except for bowling at the CR arcade. I remember the shooting gallery there though!

When I was a kid, we lived in So Cal and went to Disneyland about once or twice. I remember the magic shop on Main Street, when the MSEP was there, 20000 Leagues Under the Sea ride (apparently now Nemo), and this was before California Adventure opened and they added other hotels like the Grand Californian. We stayed at the Disney Hotel too before they made changes and upgrades to the property. Does that make me old?

You’ve ridden/seen all of the following: <snip>
<snip> You Remember: <snip>

OMGoodness... I totally remember all of the things on your list. How did you remember the bowling lanes. I completely forgot about them... Not only do i remember the tickets and Bicentennial i still have two complete books of tickets (including E tickets) and in the mid 70s Disney went with an all park ticket that you had to pin on yourself. We used Disney buttons and i still have the ticket and the button... Mine was Mickey and the gang playing in a colonial band, Mickey was playing the flute and Goofy was on the drum and Donald was carrying the flag (13 stars)... Nice blast from the past!!! :thumbsup2

oh my goodness! "kids of the kingdom"! I still have pictures of them with Mickey on their red sweaters! But I refuse to be "old" --I'll always be my Disney age: add the digits of your age, i.e. 52, 5+2=7 and you'll always be a kid! Congrats!

This mean's I'm only 4 :banana::banana::banana:

I've ridden all the rides and remember most of this list. I remember Mission to Mars originally being Flight to the Moon. I miss most of those old rides. I too remember going to Disney World meant going to the Magic Kingdom, because that's all there was. To this day our family still makes/eats Hawaiian Hamburgers that we first had at the Adventureland Veranda.

Congrats on your anniversary. We'll be celebrating our 20th this summer at the World, too.

We always talk with our son about using the tickets and trading tickets with our sisters. He laughs at us and says that would make the trip WAY too much work. I agree with him there. :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter