You just graduated from college!! What's next? 5/13 - 5/21 THAT'S A WRAP!

I am in agreement that Disney did not need another Italian restaurant and after your review I really think that. I would hope that the pasta would be a highlight and not the other way around!
I did get to a Melting Pot this weekend and it was just as yummy as you said...and I got free chocolate covered strawberries! :thumbsup2

Hi, Barb! Finally catching up on here and wanted to say I'm really enjoying your reviews. It's been great to see your kids' opinions on meals, as well. Looking forward to wherever your ADRs take you next!

I'll be looking forward to ur upcoming Trattoria Al Forno breakfast review!!! I'm a breakfast fan, hope it'll be better than dinner for ya.

The boardwalk looks great despite your troubles. I've always wanted to stay there. Trattoria Al Forno looks very good. I love Italian and do agree with the controversy that it wasn't necessarily needed but I haven't heard too many bad things about the restaurant so maybe I'll have to give it a try.

I love the Boardwalk because of its close proximity to my favorite park, Epcot. I just love being able to walk to Epcot! :thumbsup2 And I certainly wouldn't discourage you from giving Trattoria a try if you enjoy Italian food. Hopefully you will have a better experience than we did.

I am in total agreement with you about the lockers at Universal. Very frustrating. I can't NOT carry a bag with me and Rob gives me such a hard time every time we have to stop at a locker. It takes so much time. But the rides are awesome, so I guess we have to take the good with the bad.

Thank you for the hint about the Character Warehouse! I am 100% making a side trip there next trip. I am excited for some bargains!

When they were not broken down, the WWOHP rides were awesome! I hope we just caught them on a very bad day. If our experience was typical, then I would say that they have a serious problem. :sad2:

I ended up canceling our Trattoria al Forno when I got the F&W Regional wine pairing lunch.......then I went and added Via Napoli for lunch our second to last day. How could we pass up pizza at Via Napoli? I thought if I kept Trattoria that would be too much Italian food (gasp) if there IS such a thing ;)

I think their breakfast looks great.....I'll be waiting for your review in Oct!

Oh, when is your F&W Regional pairing lunch? Is it the one at Tutto Gusto? I am again attending the one at Tutto Gusto on my upcoming trip and since they don't have the one at Monsieur Paul this year, I've replaced that one with the Via Napoli F&W pairing lunch. So I'll be getting plenty of Italian food on my next trip. :laughing:

I just can't get myself excited to try Trattoria Al Forno. I do not think Disney needed another Italian restaurant and wish they went with something different - like tapas or something. Most of the reviews I have read (including yours) hasn't changed my mind. I want more than mediocre pasta in WDW. DS would love the pasta and clams but not in the pasta is mushy. As of now, this will not be in our March list. Unless your upcoming breakfast next trip changes my mind.

Yes, I'm hoping to have better luck with breakfast. The breakfast menu actually looks pretty good! :thumbsup2

Not feeling Trattoria at all but then Italian and Indian Restaurants are everywhere in our home town so we tend to give them a miss on holiday anyway. I loved Kouzzinas but I guess we were in the minority as it was always quiet and closed so quickly.

Bongos though looks fabulous and has definitely hit the 2016 planning list :)

I enjoyed having breakfast at Kouzzina a few times but never got around to having dinner there before it closed. :sad2:

My issue with Italian food is two-fold.
  • My grandparents were first generation Sicilian. I'm used to good Italian food.
  • We returned from a 24 day trip to Europe in May......and Italy for 8 days was the best of the trip. Again, GREAT Italian food!!!
My friend just ate at Bongos a few days ago.....I can't wait to hear what she thought of the place. It does seem to fall under the radar!

I'm so anxious to hear about the rest of the dining report!

My grandparents were born in the Abruzzo region of Italy so I totally understand your problem. My sister, niece, daughters, and I visited this area about 6 years and did a week long food and wine tour. The food was heavenly! :cloud9:

I have heard good things from a feller Diser about their lasagna being quite good but it's not enough to get me to try it. I really love Tutto Italia, and want to try Mama Melrose. There are rumors it could close with the expansion that is coming up. Looking forward to hearing your nephews take on my favorite Yak and Yeti.

Oh, speaking of Tutto Italia, Emily actually prefers their lasagna over Trattoria's. And as far as Yak & Yeti, I don't think you will be in 100% agreement with my nephew's opinion. ;)

I haven't had fondue in ages, I really enjoyed reading about the Melting Pot!

Sorry Trattoria al Forno was a bit of a disappointment. I'm also in the group that thought another Italian restaurant was overkill. :sad2:

Looking forward to more! popcorn::

Your comments regarding fondue/the Melting Pot and then those regarding Trattoria al Forno gave me an idea. If and when Trattoria wears out its welcome on the Boardwalk, maybe they should replace it with a fondue restaurant. ;)

It is a bummer that Trattoria al Forno was a disappointment. I haven't heard great things about it, and I agree that Disney really did not need another Italian restaurant. We have an open night during our stay at BWI this fall so I keep considering Trattoria al Forno, but I think I will skip it based on the reviews I have read so far.

Yes, I really had high hopes for Trattoria since I often stay at the Boardwalk. But I guess you win some, you lose some.

I did get to a Melting Pot this weekend and it was just as yummy as you said...and I got free chocolate covered strawberries! :thumbsup2

Glad to hear that you made it to the Melting Pot and that you had a good experience there. And chocolate covered strawberries?!?! Yum! :cloud9:

Hi, Barb! Finally catching up on here and wanted to say I'm really enjoying your reviews. It's been great to see your kids' opinions on meals, as well. Looking forward to wherever your ADRs take you next!

So glad you're enjoying the reviews! Next up is my nephew's take on Yak & Yeti, followed by my family's first experience with having breakfast at Be our Guest.

I'll be looking forward to ur upcoming Trattoria Al Forno breakfast review!!! I'm a breakfast fan, hope it'll be better than dinner for ya.

I'm really hoping that breakfast at Trattoria will be a hit and not a miss like dinner was.

Oh, when is your F&W Regional pairing lunch? Is it the one at Tutto Gusto? I am again attending the one at Tutto Gusto on my upcoming trip and since they don't have the one at Monsieur Paul this year, I've replaced that one with the Via Napoli F&W pairing lunch. So I'll be getting plenty of Italian food on my next trip. :laughing:
Yes, the one at Tutto Gusto. It's the Regional Lunch and if there's any shellfish, my hubby will be a happy man because he will get my share (allergy for me). I'm excited to go to this special event-we are scheduled for our first full day at WDW, Sept 30th. I truly miss the food in Italy and the WINE. Did I mention how much I miss the WINE?

Yes, the one at Tutto Gusto. It's the Regional Lunch and if there's any shellfish, my hubby will be a happy man because he will get my share (allergy for me). I'm excited to go to this special event-we are scheduled for our first full day at WDW, Sept 30th. I truly miss the food in Italy and the WINE. Did I mention how much I miss the WINE?

I think that they asked me last year at check-in for the event if I have any allergies. So I assume they might have a substitute choice available for those allergic to something on the menu for that day. :thumbsup2

Next up is my nephew's (& his DW's) review from their dinner last month at Animal Kingdom's...

Let's begin with a photo of one of our reviewers ringing the bell to signal the start of their dinner... ;)

Now on to the food. Since they were on the DeLuxe Dining Plan they started their meal with a shared appetizer...

Ahi Tuna Nachos for Two - Sushi grade ahi, Asian slaw, crispy fried wontons, wasabi aioli, sweet soy glaze

Their Comments: One of the BEST dishes we had on this trip!! Yummo!! :thumbsup2

Then for his entree, my nephew chose the...

Malaysian Seafood Curry with Mahi Mahi, scallops, little neck clams, mussels, shrimp, zucchini, Roma tomatoes, red curry coconut broth, and jasmine rice

His Comment: The curry was a little under seasoned, not enough seafood and too much rice. It wasn’t that great.

While his DW had for her entree the...

Tempura Shrimp with Chili plum sauce, jasmine rice, and stir-fried vegetables

Her Comment: The tempura shrimp was delicious. It was light and pillowy!

Then for dessert, my nephew went with the...

New York Cheesecake - New York style cheesecake, mango and strawberry coulis, and whipped topping

His Comment: The cheesecake was delicious!!

And his wife chose the very popular...

Fried Wontons - Skewers of fresh pineapple and cream cheese wontons, vanilla ice cream, and honey-vanilla drizzle

Her Comments: This dessert was wonderful!! The crispy wontons with the grilled pineapple, smooth, cool ice cream and sweet drizzle were amazing! I would definitely order it again if I return to Disney World!

Next up: Our pre-park opening breakfast at Be our Guest

Yak & Yeti looks good. My family isn't huge on Asian cuisine so we probably won't be going there anytime soon. I'd still love to try it once tho.

Yikes, can't believe all the unmagic band drama at the Boardwalk. And totally with you on their hallways. Our room there was about 3/4 of the way down the villas and the walk was insane.

Thanks for your review of Trattoria. Don't think I'll be running there anytime soon but good to know it's decent.

Your nephew's Y&Y meal on the other hand looks fabulous. I'm dying to try those nachos and of course indulge in the wontons again ; )

Oh my! The first negative review of the seafood curry! Oh No! I've had it several times and it's been great each and every time. I agree there is a lot of rice but my servings have always had tons of seafood. I hope this was just an off day and not a sign of things to come at Y&Y.

Oh no I am sorry he didn't like he seafood curry. I agree it is a lot of rice, next time I am getting it on the side. Normally mine is filled with seafood. Since it's a coconut based curry I always add the red sauce they put on the table to turn the heat up. The shrimp dish look great, my MIL had that in Dec and really enjoyed it. Also we have had both of those desserts and they are great. I think next trip we are taking a break from Yak and Yet, so Alexander can enjoy the characters and breakfast at Tusker House for our AK day. We only plan to go one of the days when we are there as the focus is on food and wine!!

Yak & Yeti looks good. My family isn't huge on Asian cuisine so we probably won't be going there anytime soon. I'd still love to try it once tho.

Yes, I would definitely give it a try sometime, even if just for the wonton dessert! :thumbsup2

Yikes, can't believe all the unmagic band drama at the Boardwalk. And totally with you on their hallways. Our room there was about 3/4 of the way down the villas and the walk was insane.

Thanks for your review of Trattoria. Don't think I'll be running there anytime soon but good to know it's decent.

Your nephew's Y&Y meal on the other hand looks fabulous. I'm dying to try those nachos and of course indulge in the wontons again ; )

Those nachos did look really good, didn't they?!?! I'd never noticed them on the Y & Y menu before. Another case of the student teaching the teacher. :laughing:

Oh my! The first negative review of the seafood curry! Oh No! I've had it several times and it's been great each and every time. I agree there is a lot of rice but my servings have always had tons of seafood. I hope this was just an off day and not a sign of things to come at Y&Y.

I was quite surprised too with his "thumbs down" on the seafood curry. It's not really my thing so I've never had it myself but I've heard great things about it.

Oh no I am sorry he didn't like he seafood curry. I agree it is a lot of rice, next time I am getting it on the side. Normally mine is filled with seafood. Since it's a coconut based curry I always add the red sauce they put on the table to turn the heat up. The shrimp dish look great, my MIL had that in Dec and really enjoyed it. Also we have had both of those desserts and they are great. I think next trip we are taking a break from Yak and Yet, so Alexander can enjoy the characters and breakfast at Tusker House for our AK day. We only plan to go one of the days when we are there as the focus is on food and wine!!

I'm actually thinking of skipping AK all together on my next trip, as I too want to concentrate on Epcot and the F & W festival. :thumbsup2

After about a 15 minute wait we were seated at a table which was not far from their open kitchen...

Hi Barb,
I'm sorry I've taken so long to get back to your trip report. We ate dinner at La Trattoria last April. We were sitting at the two top table that is right next to the guy in the orange shirt. We got lucky and had a very personable waiter who made the evening enjoyable. DH had the lasagna which he liked and I had some sort of spicy shrimp dish which the waiter warned me was very spicy and he offered to have them tone down the spices, which was great. The polenta was delicious. I liked the way it was decorated, too. All in all the experience was positive. It was very convenient to eat at this restaurant because we were staying at the BC. I would probably eat here again but am in no hurry to do so.

Reservation Detail
vxtMQvrzrkk2-vQpgWw7n31h2Ihi9kl6HAPcRwTH4kt1Ez6NZNNRMYW0Onr_du2UfOvJhmI3qAmRDsB5QrJJtjewDXKaV9MK6qsDN1Gg1BJpE26oew6Yquc-WFoQIgpofaffcDPL99sCoe5MiZeWhP1KLheq=s0-d-e1-ft

Reservation for 4 Guests on Sunday May 17, 2015
Be Our Guest Restaurant
8:10 AM - Breakfast

Magic Kingdom® Park

We had originally scheduled an ADR for lunch at Be our Guest but when the announcement came in March that they would start serving breakfast, we all agreed that we wanted to try something new. On March 17th :shamrock: (the day they began taking breakfast reservations) I was able to snag not just an ADR but at the pre-park opening time of 8:10 a.m. :woohoo:I must have had the luck of the Irish going for me that day, as I do have a wee bit of the Irish in me. ;)

Now the kids were not quite as excited as I was about obtaining such an early breakfast time. However, once they got past the agony of getting up early that morning, they really enjoyed entering the park before a majority of the crowd and taking photos. According to the time on our first picture, we were in the park and taking photos by 7:45 a.m. on a day when Magic Kingdom opened at 9:00. We of course took some castle pics, although since it still had construction walls in front of it the best photo was actually a side view....

The kids also took this Snapchat pic...

...which was sent out to their friends back in Illinois, where it was only 6:45 a.m. I doubt if anyone saw that one for awhile. :laughing:

Then we proceeded up the nearly empty walkway which goes through the castle...

...to take some photos of the Cinderella-themed mosaic murals which adorn the walls there.

Since this walkway is usually crowded with people, we had never really spent much time looking at these beautiful mosaics. Emily, being an artist and graphic design major in college, took special notice and posted this on Instagram...

"Walt Disney was a family man and a dreamer, but above all, he was an artist and it shows in every aspect of Disney World. Every inch of every park or resort is made to appeal to an artist's eye, like the beautiful mosaic walls in Cinderella's Castle that depict her story. Not to mention the service, Disney employees work very hard to keep up the illusion of this perfect world. And these details are what separates this theme park from all the rest."

She received 486 Likes on this post. :goodvibes

But soon it was time to get ourselves to the other Magic Kingdom castle...

The one which belongs to a Beast and his Beauty...

We had pre-ordered our breakfast online the night before, so once we arrived and checked in all we had to do was pay. Here is the breakfast menu from which we made our choices...

Just as I'd predicted, Allison ordered the...

Open-Faced Bacon and Egg Sandwich - Poached Eggs, Applewood-smoked Bacon, and Brie Cheese on a Toasted Baguette, served with fresh Fruit

She only rated this a 2 as she said the poached eggs were way overcooked and tasted almost like they were hard-boiled.

The other two surprised me though with their orders. I was certain that one of them would order the cronut but neither of them did. :confused3

Instead, Emily went with the...

Eggs Florentine - Puff Pastry Shell filled with Scrambled Eggs, Cheese, and fresh Spinach, served with Country Ham and Roasted Plum Tomatoes

She really enjoyed this and rated it a 5.

Andrew also chose a winner with the...

Croque Madame - Open-faced Ham Sandwich topped with a Fried Egg, Gruyere Cheese, and Bechamel, served with fresh Fruit

He is not much of a breakfast eater, but when he does he usually chooses something sweet, which is why I thought the cronut had his name all over it. However, not only was I surprised by his choice, but that he actually loved it and gave it score of 5+. :thumbsup2

As for me, I made an error in judgement when I ordered the...

Croissant Doughnut - Fried Doughnut topped with Banana Caramel Sauce, Pastry Creme, and Chocolate Ganache

You see, I had originally intended to order the Vegetable Quiche, as it sounded good to me and since it has mushrooms I knew none of the kids would order it. ;) But then when we made our choices the night before, it just seemed wrong to me that none of us were ordering what I thought was probably their most popular breakfast entree. So I took one for our dining review team and ordered the cronut. However, when it came time the next morning to actually eat the very sweet cronut, I just wasn't feeling it. That morning I was craving savory rather than sweet. I tried my best to promote the positive attributes of my cronut to my dining companions in the hope that one of them might trade me. But alas, Andrew and Emily were perfectly happy with their choices and Allison is not really one who enjoys sweet things for breakfast. So I was stuck with my cronut. I gave it a 3. :worried: But in the interest of full disclosure, it was a perfectly good cronut and If I'd been eating it for dessert later that day rather than breakfast I probably would have given it a 4.

Anyway, our breakfast choices (which were all $19.99/each) also included a beverage ( choice of soda, bottled water, orange or apple juice, milk or chocolate milk, iced tea, coffee, or hot chocolate) plus this plate of assorted pastries...

The kids tried three of these pastries. Allison enjoyed the plain croissant (and gave it a 4) and Emily and Andrew split the cinnamon roll and chocolate croissant and said they were both good. They rated the roll a 4 and the chocolate croissant received a rating of 5.

So overall our review of Be our Guest's breakfast is a positive one. Since we have now had all three meals there, I'm going to say that food-wise our preference is breakfast...although I wish you could get one of their delicious strawberry cream cheese cupcakes as a breakfast side. 'Cause even though I wasn't feeling like the banana caramel/chocolate/whipped cream covered cronut dessert that morning, I would have totally been up for a strawberry cream cheese cupcake. Yes, it seems I am a walking contradiction! :laughing:

But speaking of the lovely Be our Guest strawberry cream cheese cupcake...

Next up: My nephew's dinner at Be our Guest ;)

Last edited:
Great review of the BOG breakfast. I am on the fence with trying this one as we really love lunch there. However a preopening ADR does sound like a dream when you think of the photo ops.

Love the BoG breakfast review. We were supposed to eat there on the Friday of our trip but ended up cancelling it (well prior to that day so no riskof charge!) We wanted more 'freedom' due to the rain hampering our early days. And I gave in to my "kids" pleas not to have to get up quite that early! LOL DS may not be so lucky in March as I really do want to try it!

I'm LOVING your trip report!! What lovely pictures of the castle too! I'm sorry Allison didn't like the open face sandwich. We have a pre-opening at BOG and was debating between that and the cronut. I may go with the cronut and steal a bite of my husband's croquet madame!

Thanks for the BoG review and especially love all your pre-park opening pictures. I'd never even knew there were murals inside the castle. Through all the people I'd never noticed.

I almost gasped when you said the cronut was a judgement error, but good to know it wasn't bad just not what you wanted. Totally with ya on that one, I'm not a breakfast eater in general but when I do I'm all about the savory. But thanks for taking one for the dining team and ensuring the rest of us a dining review with 4 separate entrees ; )

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter