• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

You guys are freaking me out!

estherhead

DIS Veteran
I just decided yesterday to take my kids out of school & take advantage of the free dining as we've never stayed on property (always rent a house) and have eaten at almost none of the sit down places so I thought it would be exciting. However I'm still at least 2 weeks or so from booking & worlds away from having a real plan.

Are you saying I won't be able to get ressies for Sept for cool places? I'd like Coral Reef, a place at AKL, a character meal or two, and the Mexican place at the pyramid, and something else (obviously I'm at the beginning here.) We don't want Cinderella's Royal table as we've done that already and we don't want Marakesh or the English one as we've done those already. We are totally willing to be flexable in our hours and eat breakfast at 11am or lunch at 2:50 or dinner at 4:45.

Do you think if I don't make ressies till the end of May I should still be able to get cool places? If I even have an idea of what week we're going which places should I reserve right now and then just cancel if we change our week?

Have you booked your trip yet?

I'm curious as to how long the promotion last for Free Dining.

I really think if you're flexible with your times you should be fine in making the ADRs you want. My husband and I went to Free Dining last year, didn't book until the booking period was just about over and still able to make all the ADR's we wanted. We were even able to walk up to several TS that we didn't have ressies for and able to get seated within 10 minutes. Now most of these were for lunch when the restaurants were just opening so that may have played a part in us being able to walk right up and get a seat.

If I were you, Id book ADR first, if possible, to be sure that you *can* get acceptable ressies. Than book the pkg. Or do both in 1 call. If you can't get adequate dining, just scrap the entire thing:confused3

I wouldnt plan a vaca contingent on where I could eat, but if I were going to start messing around w free dining, I probably would.

Are you saying I won't be able to get ressies for Sept for cool places? I'd like Coral Reef, a place at AKL, a character meal or two, and the Mexican place at the pyramid, and something else (obviously I'm at the beginning here.)

Do you think if I don't make ressies till the end of May I should still be able to get cool places? If I even have an idea of what week we're going which places should I reserve right now and then just cancel if we change our week?

I think the size of your party will affect how easy it will be for you to get ADRs. We're a party of six and made our ADRs before Free Dining was announced, so we didn't have any trouble getting what we wanted except for LeCellier. We had to book an early dinner seating and agree to be seated at two tables if necessary. The CM explained that since it's an early seating, they will "try" to get us two tables together. We'll see. I read on another thread that LeCellier is now booked solid for dinner for the month of September. If it's once of your choices, you may have to make a lunch ADR there instead of dinner.

I would suggest making your ADRs now and canceling them if you decide not to go.

Yes I was worried about the hotels filling up however I read that there are extra rooms for Disney Visa holders which I am. Do you think that is OK? Also, if I book for Sept 22 as my first day do I still get free dining or does my whole trip have to be in the time frame? Thank goodness I have today off, I've spent my whole morning so far trying to at least figure out which parks I'm going to on which days and now I'm finally ready to just BEGIN researching restaurants. Good grief. No wonder I just rent a house & pick up food from Outback on our way "home." LOL!

Yes I was worried about the hotels filling up however I read that there are extra rooms for Disney Visa holders which I am. Do you think that is OK? Also, if I book for Sept 22 as my first day do I still get free dining or does my whole trip have to be in the time frame? Thank goodness I have today off, I've spent my whole morning so far trying to at least figure out which parks I'm going to on which days and now I'm finally ready to just BEGIN researching restaurants. Good grief. No wonder I just rent a house & pick up food from Outback on our way "home." LOL!

My mom has free dining Sept. 22-Oct. 2. You should be fine.

There aren't "extra" rooms for Disney Visa holders. Disney Visa holders were given a 3-day headstart over the general public, but that was from 4/9-4/12. And, as Belle5 said, as long as your trip begins by 9/22 you'll have free dining for your entire stay, up to 14 nights max.

As long as you can be flexible in your resort choice, you should be OK. Some DISers have reported that their first choice of resorts is sold out for their time period. I originally booked 10 nights at POP (9/16-9/26) and wanted to add 3 more nights but haven't been able to. Another DISer didn't have a Disney Visa and wanted POP but had to wait until the offer was open to the general public. She was NOT able to get free dining for her stay.

The package only requires a $200 deposit when you book with the balance being due 45 days before the trip. If you put it on your Disney Visa you also get 0% financing for 6 months (both on the initial deposit and on the balance due 45 days out). I'd suggest you make your reservations now. Good luck!

I would try to make the reservations now and then call for ADR's (same call). You only have to put a $200 deposit down and it can be done within two weeks of making the reservation.

If you can't get your first choices, then keep calling back.

I wouldn't wait too much longer to book your package. I am reading on many threads that resorts are all sold out for free dining. Also, get those ADR's made. You can always cancel later if you have too. Good luck!!! We are going end of August for FDP...can't wait!!

I wouldn't wait too much longer to book your package. I am reading on many threads that resorts are all sold out for free dining. Also, get those ADR's made. You can always cancel later if you have too. Good luck!!! We are going end of August for FDP...can't wait!!
OK, you all freaked me out enough that I booked the AS Movie resort for Sept 2-9th. Now I have 2 other questions. How busy will the parks be on Tuesday-Saturday since it is right after Labor day? And so far this is my short list of where I want to eat. I have 3 girls, 5,6, and 6 months. They are pretty good eaters and are all very well-behaved, well, we'll still have to see about the baby as she's only 6 weeks right now! lol.

The Coral Reef
San Angel Inn
Chef mickey's
Princess storybook
Prime Time Café
Whispering Canyon

What else should I add & should I consider different character meals? We aren't Pooh fans much. We do want entertained but I'm in the food industry so quality of food is important also.

Also, if we go to one of our reservations & I'm not feeling over hungry, do they have doggy bags? And have any of you ever taken tupperware in your strollers to transfer the food to so it doesn't leak? I'm not trying to be a cheapskate I just am nursing & eat a tiny bit every 2 hours. So I can see me not wanting to eat at dinner & then being famished at 9pm in my hotel room. I thought I might rent a fridge & order a salad or cheesecake, etc that wouldn't need reheated for one of my choices to eat knowing I would take it with me and eat late at night.

OK, you all freaked me out enough that I booked the AS Movie resort for Sept 2-9th. Now I have 2 other questions. How busy will the parks be on Tuesday-Saturday since it is right after Labor day? And so far this is my short list of where I want to eat. I have 3 girls, 5,6, and 6 months. They are pretty good eaters and are all very well-behaved, well, we'll still have to see about the baby as she's only 6 weeks right now! lol.

The Coral Reef
San Angel Inn
Chef mickey's
Princess storybook
Prime Time Café
Whispering Canyon

What else should I add & should I consider different character meals? We aren't Pooh fans much. We do want entertained but I'm in the food industry so quality of food is important also.

Also, if we go to one of our reservations & I'm not feeling over hungry, do they have doggy bags? And have any of you ever taken tupperware in your strollers to transfer the food to so it doesn't leak? I'm not trying to be a cheapskate I just am nursing & eat a tiny bit every 2 hours. So I can see me not wanting to eat at dinner & then being famished at 9pm in my hotel room. I thought I might rent a fridge & order a salad or cheesecake, etc that wouldn't need reheated for one of my choices to eat knowing I would take it with me and eat late at night.

Surprisingly, the parks are not very crowded before/on/after Labor Day. People who were there last year said the wait times for the rides were minimal (10-15 minutes).

Most TS places will give you a doggy bag for your unfinished food. Usually, it's a styrofoam container, so transferring it to tupperware may be unnecessary, as the containers are pretty sturdy, but bringing one or two wouldn't hurt.

Hope you have a great trip!!!!

Good for you. We stayed at ASMo last year. We requested the Toy Story building so we didn't have to walk as far to the bus & food court. As for the restaurants I have been to Chef Mickey's & Princess Storybook and my kids love both. Also, went to Coral Reef & Prime Time last year and both were good. I am trying Whispering Canyons and Spoodles this year as I have read good things about them. We have also done character meals at 1900 Park Fare at GF...we also like it there with Cinderella & Prince Charming. I have also heard that Boma at AKL & Ohana at the Poly are good. We took leftovers back to the room also. I am like you. I can't eat alot at once and then I am hungry 2 hours later.

The Coral Reef
San Angel Inn
Chef mickey's
Princess storybook
Prime Time Café
Whispering Canyon

I also opted to pull my kids out of school (bummer that they didn't extend free dining to 9/30 again this year...my kids always have Fall Break the first week of October). I've been lazy this week and just got around to making my ADRs this morning. I wanted our dinners to be between 5:30pm and 6:30pm, so we would have enough time to eat and still make it to the evening shows. The ONLY place that couldn't accommodate this timeframe was Le Cellier, but I was able to fit it in as a lunch instead.

We're also there beginning on 9/2 (for 5 nights). I booked 3 buffets and 4 sit-downs, with the intent of meal-sharing at the sit-downs. In the past, they've never said we couldn't...if they do this time, we'll just cancel two of the ADRs at the last minute. We're eating at the following places:

Crystal Palace – 6:10pm (Third time for us here! I think you should DEFINITELY add this one...it's a fave of my entire family and will be even more special to your kids because they're young enough to feel the "magic" of the characters).

50s Prime Time – 11:00am (this will be our first time at this TS)

Whispering Canyon – 5:50pm (2nd time)

Le Cellier – 11:30am (2nd time)

Coral Reef – 6:10pm (3rd time)

Boma – 5:40pm (another new one for us)

Chef Mickey’s – 5:40pm (2nd time)

Surprisingly, the parks are not very crowded before/on/after Labor Day. People who were there last year said the wait times for the rides were minimal (10-15 minutes).

That's exactly what I'm counting on...most places in the country start school the Tuesday after Labor Day (although not near me...they start in early August here) and I'm assuming very few people will opt to pull their kids out of school during the first week of class. Hopefully the parks will have a little less volume than normal :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter