• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Yet another dining plan question!

hoosierdaddynow

Earning My Ears
We are going to Disney this Christmas & I had a question. Me , my wife & my 2 10 years olds will be on the dining plan for 7 nights. We have 5 (1 table service) dinners & 1 signature(Cali Grill) scheduled. Is it possible to only use 4 credits at Cali Grill for my wife & I & then pay out of pocket for the kids. They are 10yrs old & could easily eat off the much cheaper kids menu. This was we could save the 4 credits we would have used on the kids dinners at Cali grill & get a whole additional dining experience on another day. Is this allowed under the new plan? Is it frowned upon to do this?

I don't think theres any issue with it. But I personally would just pay OOP for the whole meal and schedule other ADRs to use the table service credits.

I don't think theres any issue with it. But I personally would just pay OOP for the whole meal and schedule other ADRs to use the table service credits.
I understand that signatures are usually not a good value for the standard dining plan; but with my kids being 10 years old(what Disney considers adults) but still young enough to be satisfied with the kids steak($18.00 with dessert & drink included) i think it does work to our advantage. We are essentially getting to upgrade to a signature dining experience for the 4 of us for only a total upgrade cost of $36.00! Right?

True! I would think maybe they could just separate your bill? Just let them know at the start of your meal.

Yes, this is common practice. Anyone can order off the kids menu, and it's a great idea to pay for those meals and save the credits for later.

Are you doing free dining? If not.... If your kids will be ordering off kids menus and cheaper entrees off adult menus... it's hard to see how the dining plan would make any financial sense. Unless you're getting free dining, it would likely be MUCH cheaper to just skip the dining plan altogether.

Thanks for the responses & yes we have "free" dining, havoc. So you are all saying that is ok for some in your party to use the dining plan & some not, correct? Also it is ok for the my 10 year-olds(soon to be 11) to order off the kids menu(3-9 year olds) if they are satisfied with the options?

Yes, your children will be able to order off the kids' menu at pretty much every table service restaurant. Once in a while someone will post that a particular server or restaurant would adhere to the 3-9 years old printed on the menu, so it is best to ask first just in case. The only ones that have been mentioned more than once that I recall are La Hacienda, San Angel and The Plaza(!). This is a very good way to save credits for an additional TS meal.

Thanks for the responses & yes we have "free" dining, havoc. So you are all saying that is ok for some in your party to use the dining plan & some not, correct? Also it is ok for the my 10 year-olds(soon to be 11) to order off the kids menu(3-9 year olds) if they are satisfied with the options?

Then I suggest paying OOP when the kids want cheaper meals and maximizing your TS credits.

Ok. Thanks for all your input. Let me throw another question at you guys then. Could this also work for the Candleight Processional Package as well. For example get an ADR at Rose & Crown for lunch or dinner then use the 4 credits for my wife & I(2 credit each) & then pay out of pocket for the kids & have them order off the kids menu. I understand this is a different situation entirely as my kids are actually 10 & considered adults by Disney standards & this package would come with tickets or badges for the Processional; but would it matter if they ordered kids meals? Would this be considered dishonest? Would the waiter even know or care or even ask how old my kids are?

Ok. Thanks for all your input. Let me throw another question at you guys then. Could this also work for the Candleight Processional Package as well. For example get an ADR at Rose & Crown for lunch or dinner then use the 4 credits for my wife & I(2 credit each) & then pay out of pocket for the kids & have them order off the kids menu. I understand this is a different situation entirely as my kids are actually 10 & considered adults by Disney standards & this package would come with tickets or badges for the Processional; but would it matter if they ordered kids meals? Would this be considered dishonest? Would the waiter even know or care or even ask how old my kids are?
No. The Candlelight Processional package is a fixed price and your kids are "adults." They'll be charged full price. You'll be asked there age when you check in, and it should be listed on their screen as well (since you have the dining plan, it will be pretty obvious. Nobody here would recommend you attempt to lie or tell your children to lie.

Kinda thought that might be the case snoop. Maybe I'll just use the 4 credits that I'll save at Cali Grill & use them to upgrade one of our Epcot dining experiences to the Candlelight Processional instead so that there's no issue.

Kinda thought that might be the case snoop. Maybe I'll just use the 4 credits that I'll save at Cali Grill & use them to upgrade one of our Epcot dining experiences to the Candlelight Processional instead so that there's no issue.
Some of the Candlelight Processional packages are a much better deal to pay out of pocket. I think Biergarten has a lunch option that's reasonable.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter