Yea for Southwest!

PrincessAndrea'sMom

Mouseketeer
Hello Everyone! I have a speical needs daughter. We take her on alot of Disney trips (world and land), as we want to give her the most full, normal life as possible. She is trached and we travel with alot of medical equipment...all that must be within reach during our flights. We always preboard and have always had great experiences with Southwest Air.

Back in May, we took a family trip to Disneyland. It is hard to find a direct flight from LAX to Baltimore, so we always pick a flight that stops but that does not require us to change planes (people get off, people get on...we stay put). It is quite an ordeal to pack up all the equipment, move it from one plane to another and reset up. Anyway, on our return flight home, our plane stopped in Chicago and most of the passanges got off. We were abruptly told we had to get off and change planes! This totally thru us for a loop! My husband and I frantically gathered all the equipement, supplies and our two children and rushed to the new plane. We did not have a chance to preboard. We were very uncomfortable since we did not feel like we had sufficant time to get our equipment and supplies in order before take off. The flight went fine, but I was very nervous and figity the whole time.

Once we got home, I sent an email to Southwest. I was pleasent in the email and just wanted to let them know how a small thing like changing planes was a big deal to us, and changing plances with no notices was very stressful. I told them the whole story and just asked them to be aware that not everyone can jump up and move on a seconds notice. It has been over a month since the email and I did not receive a response. I honestly did not think anything more of it. I did not say we wont be back or anything, because we will. I do not judge a whole company on one experience.

When I got home today I had an email from them waiting for me. They appolized for the issue and gave me a $300 voucher for our next flight! Wow! I was shocked! I did not really expect anything, just wanted to let them know. We travel Southwest several times a year, and this voucher will come in handy when we go down for food and wine fest in October.

I have told eveyone hear a ton of times how happy we are with Southwest and how easy they make traveling with a special needs child.

Thanks Southwest! We "luv" you!

I ALWAYS find direct flights to LAX from BWI. Flew Air tran just 14 days ago in fact. Flew Back with Duff Goldman on the plane. Alas, not next to me.

also keep in mind that sometimes they have no control over some things like having to change planes. if a mechanical issue arises it's better to err on the side of caution.

I ALWAYS find direct flights to LAX from BWI. Flew Air tran just 14 days ago in fact. Flew Back with Duff Goldman on the plane. Alas, not next to me.

also keep in mind that sometimes they have no control over some things like having to change planes. if a mechanical issue arises it's better to err on the side of caution.

Good point and is likely what happened.

It's nice that they 'heard' the OP's concerns though. :thumbsup2

We have not enjoyed our flights on other carriers, so we only fly Southwest. A Southwest flight direct from BWI to LAX is rare.

I completly understand some things are out of their control. We were mostly upset about how short the notice was. They knew we were changing planes before they began letting anyone off, but chose to not tell us. The new plane was already full with new passangers from Chicago when we got off the old plane coming from LA. We were upset that we were not given any time to move, not that we had to move.

We have not enjoyed our flights on other carriers, so we only fly Southwest. A Southwest flight direct from BWI to LAX is rare.

I completly understand some things are out of their control. We were mostly upset about how short the notice was. They knew we were changing planes before they began letting anyone off, but chose to not tell us. The new plane was already full with new passangers from Chicago when we got off the old plane coming from LA. We were upset that we were not given any time to move, not that we had to move.

DH had no notice that his flight from Narita to LAX was not only changed planes it was changed carriers AND to a smaller plane with less seats. he has like 7 minutes to get to the new destination on the far side of the airport( and Narita..is bigger than LAX)

it happens.

you cannot assume they deliberately failed to let you know, special needs concerns or otherwise. nor can you assume that anyone who was in a position to inform you was aware of the change until they actually let you know. and I know from past experience that they do NOT know who is and is not getting off the plane until after debarkation and they count the leftover bodies and get the new passenger manifest.

Since you were not there you can not assume you know what happened. We barely made the second plane. There was only eleven people total that switched. I do know for sure they knew about the plane change before people started getting off. I know this because the captain told me. When we landed in BWI he personally took my 8 year old son into the **** pit and let in sit in the pilots seat. I have a video of it if you don't beleive me. He told us there were two flights from Chicage to BWI that were combined due to low census on each. We kept our same captian from LAX to BWI, just not planes. He moved right away from one plane to the other. All of the crew was aware, not an assumption, words of the capitain. He talked to us after the flight and explained that the flight attendents should have told us and got us off first, not last.

The purpose of this post was to give kudos to Southwest for how they handled what they admit was a poorly handled sitution, not for you to nit pick my post. I recommend Southwest to lots of parents of special needs kids and this is an good example of why. My post was not meant for someone to pick apart with "assumptions" that are completly incorrect. Wow, crazy how one grumpy can put a damper on a really exciting situation. I am starting to wish I didnt post in the first place...

None the less, I'm still excited that SW cared enough to respond to your issues and they seem to have taken it very seriously.

I also love Southwest on one flight they broke my scooter it was minor but not drivable they had Florida Mobility drop off a scooter at our Hotel it was there within 20 minutes of our check in it was a nice scooter and when mine was ready they met me at our hotel at 7AM so I could get an early start.

I got a letter about a month later apologizing for breaking my scooter with a voucher for a discount on our next flight

i know not the same but while waiting for our flight home a couple of weeks ago, there was a problem with the plane at the gate. everyone had to get off plane and then rebook boarding passes to get on new plane. meet some last minute people would had not been told and could not find where they were to be. all this happened after plane was almost completely boarded.

I will be flying with SW in January/February with my daughter's power wheelchair. It will be the first time flying with the chair. I love SW and will be trying to take a direct flight from BWI to MCO (Orlando). Any suggestions for flying with the chair? I'm assuming if we inform them beforehand of her needs (cerebral palsy and non-mobile) that we should be able to pre-board. The one big thing I'm concerned about is that we'll need the front row of seats. My husband and I will need to pick her up, she's 4'10" and 106 pounds right now, and move her into the seat. We'll need the first row for manipulating room. Do you think they'll be able to accommodate that?

Any and all hints, suggestions, etc... are appreciated. Thanks.

will depend on where plane is coming from and if someone already has those seats. your flight may be direct from BWI to Orlando but you do not know where the plane is coming to BWI from. we just flew Southwest earilier this month, on the leg from Phil to Orlando bulkhead was already taken by people who were staying on plane to Orlando. preboarding would not help you then as those people are bozrded before preboarding if they get off.

Thanks, Betty.
Do you know of how I can find out if the flight is originating at BWI or somewhere else?
I know there's a way to do that, I just don't know how. Also, do you think an early morning flight is more likely to originate at BWI? My DH was thinking that if we took the first flight out (I think he's trying to kill me), that the flight would have to start at BWI because it would be so early. I told him not to bet on it. Neither one of us has flown very often, so we are rather ignorant about such matters. Thanks again.

Thanks, Betty.
Do you know of how I can find out if the flight is originating at BWI or somewhere else?
I know there's a way to do that, I just don't know how. Also, do you think an early morning flight is more likely to originate at BWI? My DH was thinking that if we took the first flight out (I think he's trying to kill me), that the flight would have to start at BWI because it would be so early. I told him not to bet on it. Neither one of us has flown very often, so we are rather ignorant about such matters. Thanks again.

I'd try posting on the TRANSPORTATION board - people there seem to be able to figure stuff like that out (I don't fly SW - so I don't know the tricks, I'm afraid).

ETA - I've sent you a PM with some information that will help (don't want to side track this thread).

Thanks. I got the message but wasn't able to reply since I haven't posted 10 times yet.

Thanks, Betty.
I know there's a way to do that, I just don't know how. Also, do you think an early morning flight is more likely to originate at BWI?

All you need to do is to call SWA and ask.

I love SW and will be trying to take a direct flight from BWI to MCO (Orlando).

You mean a non-stop flight, not a direct flight. A direct flight can have stops.

I'm not at all surprised. Southwest surprised me once too.

A few months after 911 I was traveling from BWI to Cleveland, renting a car and driving to Detroit (no non-stops at the time and this took less time).

Remember standing in line for the numbered boarding passes? Well I traveled for business and actually knew the Southwest person standing there...so we chatted.

There were less than 70 people on our flight (people were still timid about travel) so I knew if I sat in my favorite 20F, I would have the row to myself. I sat down, curled up and prepared for a 45 minute nap when suddenly someone sat down NEXT TO ME!!!!! Worse, she began CHATTING. I pretended to ignor her, but she kept talking.

As I got to know her, I realized something was wrong....she was TERRIFIED to fly. I asked if she would like to hold my hand and she did through the entire flight.

She was heading to Detroit, changing in Chicago so I asked if she would like to deplane in Cleveland and I would drive her to Detroit. She said yes.

I watched the ramp agent's face fall when I explained we needed to get her bag from the plane....but he managed it....and I remembered his name.

On the drive to Detroit this woman explained her husband would have flown with her but was out of town. The day before her sister and neice were killed when a truck ran a red light. She had to fly alone to her family in Detroit and was terrified to fly.

I was put on that jet that morning - an act of God - to deliver her to her family. I still remember her sinking into the arms of her waiting family - all in tears.

I wrote a letter to Southwest to thank the ramp agent and explain he had done a very-very good thing that day helping us. Southwest sent me a very generous voucher for being a "nice passenger". Next trip through Cleveland, surprisingly, I had the same ramp agent. He saw me first. He thanked me for the letter and for helping the sad lady that day.

Every wonder if you life has meaning? I no longer do.....if only to be there on that sad-sad day for that fragile woman.

.....and thank you Southwest for 2 free flights to WDW!!!!!!!

Donut23,

What a wonderful, selfless thing for you to do.
I'm sure that woman will remember you forever for what you did.
If more people were like you, the world would be a much better place.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter