WWYD: bugs in the room

Just to update, I called this morning and we moved to another room. It took over two hours because it was very busy with check ins. They did the best they could, but this has been a very frustrating experience with just how time and energy consuming it has been. Hoping the last half of our stay is totally uneventful on the room front.

I can't see any ants in the picture so I don't know. Are they sugar ants? If so those are super easy for them to get rid of. We had those at hard rock and a 5 minute visit by maintenance took care of the problem.

I called the Lobby. They said they would have someone there about 3AM. ...

Definitely call the Lobby...

Don't call the lobby (front desk). You get a call center offsite and maybe out of state when you do that.

That's why there was a stated 4 hour delay, red. They didn't want to do the fast work to get the problem taken care of. They have to take the time to reach the hotel etc etc. when you insisted, they did the work.

Much more simple to go to the front desk.

As the op knows because it was explained in the other thread.

We stayed in a motel in Central Illinois once that had an ant infestation. It took four rooms before they put us in one that didn't have them. They will get into everything. Bags, fridge, phone, food, sheets. Absolutely demand a room change. Same with Palmetto bugs--they belong outside, not inside. One crawling up a drain is understandable. Several in one room is not. You could also do the boss move like I once did and bring one alive in a glass to the front desk. (Happened at DL.) Watch how fast they change your room for you.

OP -I'm happy that you got this straightened out. Don't feel guilty about having had to switch rooms again. It's not too much to ask to have a room without a bug infestation.

Did they have to move your parents again as well?
I'm sure it'll be noted in your profile w/ WDW that you were moved twice to accommodate your issues with two different rooms, but I've always wondered what impact, if any, being noted as a complaining guest has on someone. Luckily CBR is a big resort & had replacement rooms to give you. I think wanting a different room is viewed differently than someone who demands a credit or an upgrade because of their 'dissatisfaction.'
Personally for minor maintenance issues I alert the front desk (I stop by & tell them whatever it is - ie the TV isn't working, the toilet is running non stop, etc.) & go about my business as having to pack up and relocate really eats up a lot of time. The only time that didn't work was one late night arrival when my assigned room had not been cleaned (unmade beds, dirty dishes, etc.) that time I insisted on a new, already cleaned, room as it was late, I had flown cross country & had my exhausted elderly mother w/ me.

They will take care of bugs quickly. Just call the Lobby. We ran into the situation as well. However, we arrived at the room about 11PM. Turned the lights on and my DD opened the cabinet and fridge. About 50 roaches scattered everywhere in the room. I called the Lobby. They said they would have someone there about 3AM. I explained that we just got there, are not sleeping with the bugs, and definitely not waiting until 3AM. They send a cart to get us and take us to a new room while maintenance was checking the new room to make sure there were no bugs. 11:45PM we are at the new room and crashing.

Definitely call the Lobby. No where on your reservation does it state you get to sleep with insects. If you are gone during the day, they can take care of it very quickly, efficiently, and with no odor.

Roaches? Not okay. Roaches don't just appear because one previous guest left some food out. When you see a few roaches that means there are many many more hiding in the walls. If you see fifty? This is the type of infestation that gets hotels shut down or cited by health departments.

I'm sure it'll be noted in your profile w/ WDW that you were moved twice to accommodate your issues with two different rooms, but I've always wondered what impact, if any, being noted as a complaining guest has on someone.

For the OP's complaints? I bet there would be zero impact. Her complaints are legitimate. And really, what kind of impact could there possibly be anyways?

For the OP's complaints? I bet there would be zero impact. Her complaints are legitimate. And really, what kind of impact could there possibly be anyways?

There are chronic complainers who will manufacture issues in order to either secure a reduced rate, a free upgrade, or a credit or additional free items. I have read that Disney notes these habitual complainers so they do not get compensated for silliness.

I cannot see any reason the OP should have a negative impact from his concerns. I would not tolerate a room that had bugs in it or that was infiltrated with a smokers fumes. I would not have needed to move if the bug issue was addressed, but I do not have a health condition that woudl make me sick from the treatment. I would have a huge issue with the neighborhood smokers though, and would have expected to have DIsney deal with them or move my family. And again, while the smoke would not trigger and attack, I hate it, and avoid it as much as possible.

There are chronic complainers who will manufacture issues in order to either secure a reduced rate, a free upgrade, or a credit or additional free items. I have read that Disney notes these habitual complainers so they do not get compensated for silliness.

I wonder though, how a legitimate beef would be handled with someone who was labelled a chronic complainer. Would the resolution be different?

I wonder though, how a legitimate beef would be handled with someone who was labelled a chronic complainer. Would the resolution be different?

I imagine a legitimate complaint would be resolved. It is kind of hard to justify ants, a dirty room, facilities that do not work, etc. I do think that when Disney might have been inclined to offer some sort of "pixie dust" to apologize for the issue, maybe the habitual complainer would simply have the issue corrected.

We read about the ways that Disney sometimes compensates guests if their rooms have problems, so we know that the manager has leeway to offer some sort of upgrade. WHile I cannot speak for any manager, I think if that manager was me, I woudl fix the issue but no "presents" if it was noted that the guest has recieved numerous gifts to compensate them over issues that did not need a fuss.

I will say that I seldom get all worked up over things, but several years ago my DD was embarrassed by a CM when she tried to make a purchase with purchase. She had saved her receipts as she had been directed, but the CM refused to sell her the "with purchase" item. She showed her true receipts, explained that she had been told this was acceptable and BOOM! It went downhill from there. My DD is not confrontational, so she left, but was so embarrassed.
I found a manager and reported what happened, I was that mad. The manager said he woudl look into it, and I returned to our room. A few minutes later he arrived with the watch my DD wanted to buy, refused to take any money, and said he had added a credit to our account to use at dinner. I figure that was a substantial "gift" for a complaint that was resolved, but I would not hesitate to address any issues that we encounter, or be labeled a complainer. I think that DIsney is able to differentiate between bogus issues, and legitimate problems.

Did they have to move your parents again as well?
I'm sure it'll be noted in your profile w/ WDW that you were moved twice to accommodate your issues with two different rooms, but I've always wondered what impact, if any, being noted as a complaining guest has on someone. Luckily CBR is a big resort & had replacement rooms to give you. I think wanting a different room is viewed differently than someone who demands a credit or an upgrade because of their 'dissatisfaction.'
Personally for minor maintenance issues I alert the front desk (I stop by & tell them whatever it is - ie the TV isn't working, the toilet is running non stop, etc.) & go about my business as having to pack up and relocate really eats up a lot of time. The only time that didn't work was one late night arrival when my assigned room had not been cleaned (unmade beds, dirty dishes, etc.) that time I insisted on a new, already cleaned, room as it was late, I had flown cross country & had my exhausted elderly mother w/ me.

My mom wasn't moved either time which stunk, but a connecting room to her was never a guarantee and I didn't make a fuss about it at all. She checked out yesterday anyway.

We did get an "upgrade" the first time to a water view, but that's the room with the ants which isn't much of an upgrade. Lol our new room is exactly what we booked/paid for. Aside from the 24 hours in the water view room, no pixie dust has been part of this process. In fact, if anything it has cost us: time and money (in tips to Bell services and our original mouse keeper.)

Coincidentally, we had a palmetto bug come up the drain this morning! Thankfully, my DH killed it before my 11yo daughter saw it. Hopefully it's not a sign of things to come. I really, really don't want anymore room drama.

My mom wasn't moved either time which stunk, but a connecting room to her was never a guarantee and I didn't make a fuss about it at all. She checked out yesterday anyway.

We did get an "upgrade" the first time to a water view, but that's the room with the ants which isn't much of an upgrade. Lol our new room is exactly what we booked/paid for. Aside from the 24 hours in the water view room, no pixie dust has been part of this process. In fact, if anything it has cost us: time and money (in tips to Bell services and our original mouse keeper.)

Coincidentally, we had a palmetto bug come up the drain this morning! Thankfully, my DH killed it before my 11yo daughter saw it. Hopefully it's not a sign of things to come. I really, really don't want anymore room drama.

You poor thing! Any one of these issues on its own would not be horrible, but all of them? To be honest, the least harmful.. the poor palmetto big would have been the one to send me flying out of the room, screaming like a banshee!

Oh hec no. After all of these issues, the palmetto bug would've just sent me over the edge. I'd on a plane home. I realize it's Florida and they're everywhere, I live in Houston, but after your prior troubles I'd be so done!

Ironically IME it's the trips w/ issues that we later remember & laugh about for years afterwards.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter