Would you DCL again without the DIS?

roomthreeseventeen

Inaugural Dopey Challenge finisher
I'm curious, after reading all the reviews about PCC 2.0. It seems that all of the positive stuff from the cruise was stuff that the DIS team provided, and much of the rest of the cruise wasn't all that great (food service, dirty rooms?, etc).

We've been pondering a DCL cruise at some point if they sail out of NYC in the next year, and I'm wondering if you think the cruise would have been worth the money if not for the DIS podcast events.

Yes. Not only would we, but we did book a non-DIS DCL cruise.

Sure there were things that needed improvement. We're a pretty critical (or should I say discerning?) group and we are fairly quick to point out where Disney isn't meeting its own high standards. But I know that Val & I enjoyed the cruise anyway.

I'll be enjoying my 3rd DCL cruise in 2012 without the DIS. You'll have a great time. :thumbsup2

For us, while we have rebooked on-board for the "dummy date' in anticipation of PCC 4.0, I will also consider all other available itineraries for December 2012.

40 - 42 hrs of travelling in coach class + layovers each way is a hell of a long commute, and while it is attractive to go to see John, Kevin & the crew, the 4 night is a bit short & there is so much of the ship I would like to experience + excursions. I cannot do that if I am also focussed on getting to PCC events. That is why I would love to try a West-coast cruise or even better if a ship was based in a Hawaiian or Asian port (Hong Kong to Japan with stops in both Disneys there?).

Either of those would be my preference for a December cruise.

There was some stuff the PCC organisers did really well, and other stuff that I would not repeat - transfers to and from the port were problematic (at best).

So, using Dreams as a booking agent? yes. Fish extenders? yes. PCCx.0? depends.

I would definitely cruise on DCL again, especially to try the Dream. Of course, the price would have to be right, and with Disney, that seems more and more difficult these days.

Yes, yes, yes!!! My daughter and I love the Disney cruises. Since we live close the 3 and 4 night are perfect for us.

Absolutely, as a matter of fact we have 2 dummy dates booked.

I think what you are reading about 2.0 is totally a result of DCL taking the best crew members off the Wonder and moving them to the Dream without making sure the replacement crew is 100% up to standard and ready for what is expected. I fully trust DCL to fix the issues.

The podcast cruise was our 6th DCL cruise and we are already booked for Alaska in August.

Absolutely. I guess we're not all that fussy. We liked the food - had no complaints. We enjoyed our dinner companions! Our room steward didn't go overboard, but he did his job. We requested ice the first day and got it every day thereafter.

Unless I took a trip with my grandkids or friends (Disfriends probably), I don't think we'd go, just cause it's just the two of us and we'd probably be bored without other people being there.

If they cruise out of NY, that would make it extremely doable with my grandsons - and maybe some other family as well.

I don't think I would do the 4 night Bahamas cruise on Disney (or any other cruise line) unless it was with the DIS. The itinerary just doesn't hold a whole lot of interest for me. As to other itineraries, if the prices were competitive (and I realize that is pretty subjective) I would still take Disney over other cruise lines.

One thing to remember in reading the criticism is that about 30 percent of the Wonder's CM's were transferred to the Dream so there were a lot of less than fully experienced personnel aboard for our cruise. I think it showed, to some degree. Time will tell whether Disney will make sure all of its CMs on the ships have the proper training.

I enjoyed the DCL cruise in particular, I enjoyed cruising in general.

Not sure I would do DCL without the special podcast events.

While I have booked a "dummy date" with DCL, what I am looking for on my next cruise would be more "adult" entertainment, much as I loved the Disney shows. Price and ports of call are also a factor.

One thing to remember in reading the criticism is that about 30 percent of the Wonder's CM's were transferred to the Dream so there were a lot of less than fully experienced personnel aboard for our cruise. I think it showed, to some degree. Time will tell whether Disney will make sure all of its CMs on the ships have the proper training.

It sounds to me like this played a key role in the experience not being up to par with past DCL/PCC cruises. I'm hoping that their new CMs are well trained and on the ball soon...especially by 3.0. ;)

We have, and will again, cruise with DCL by ourselves. But I have hard time believing that any other group can throw the type of cruise party that the DIS/Dreams has thrown on the last two Podcast Cruises. It would hard for ANYONE to measure up to what John has been able to put together. We will be cruising again with the DIS crew!!

FWIW, most everytime a DCL ship goes out there is a group from the DIS on the ship. So you are always sailing with the DIS!!

There was some stuff the PCC organisers did really well, and other stuff that I would not repeat - transfers to and from the port were problematic (at best).

As you continue to bring this up, I feel I must comment.

Dreams Unlimited arranged for three private busses to transport our group from the Swan to Port Canaveral on the day of the cruise. Information regarding these transfers was issued to all passengers, but you misplaced this information. (Not a problem!)

In a thread you posted here, you are angry that the Dolphin and Swan concierges do not know the details regarding our private transportation. While that would have been nice, it would never occur to me that the concierge at the Dolphin (not involved in this scenario in any way) should know the answer to your question any more than the concierge at AKL or any other hotel would.

In any case, another helpful poster responded by posting "John advised that we are meeting the buses at the Valet area of the Swan" with a MAP on your thread at approximately 6:30 AM the next morning, showing the location where we were meeting for the busses.

Despite this, you arrived at the bus stop extremely angry the next day, insisting that you had been waiting "over there" and waving your arm toward the Dolphin.

The shockingly rude and abusive way you treated the volunteers helping load the busses was stunning, and I am very disappointed that I have not seen any sort of apology for this toward Tracey, who took the brunt of your misdirected ire.

As you continue to complain about the bus service, I felt the need to set the record straight.

I can't wait to cruise with DCL again...

This was our first cruise and we loved it , even with the less than stellar weather.
While onboard, we booked a 7 night for this coming May.

I wish we could work around our schedules, but Podcast cruises 3.0 & 4.0 just won't be our future :(
That being said, there is no better group to travel with and we will miss it terribly. For us it wasn't the scheduled activities that mattered....the cruise was the PRIZE in my eyes.
The cruise we've booked for May should give us better and warmer weather, and I can't wait to totally relax on the 3 days at sea :goodvibes

I would sail again on DCL without being part of a larger group. I would like to actually relax a little. I know all the events were come as you wish, but I wanted to see as many folks as possible and have fun with them. When I do sail again, I would also like for my DP to join me (although that would never happen).

Yes. :thumbsup2 DCL is at the top of the list. Shoot, we didn't find out about DIS and PCC until after cruise was booked. Just can't aford to do DCL everytime.:mad:

As you continue to bring this up, I feel I must comment.

Dreams Unlimited arranged for three private busses to transport our group from the Swan to Port Canaveral on the day of the cruise. Information regarding these transfers was issued to all passengers, but you misplaced this information. (Not a problem!)

In a thread you posted here, you are angry that the Dolphin and Swan concierges do not know the details regarding our private transportation. While that would have been nice, it would never occur to me that the concierge at the Dolphin (not involved in this scenario in any way) should know the answer to your question any more than the concierge at AKL or any other hotel would.

In any case, another helpful poster responded by posting "John advised that we are meeting the buses at the Valet area of the Swan" with a MAP on your thread at approximately 6:30 AM the next morning, showing the location where we were meeting for the busses.

Despite this, you arrived at the bus stop extremely angry the next day, insisting that you had been waiting "over there" and waving your arm toward the Dolphin.

The shockingly rude and abusive way you treated the volunteers helping load the busses was stunning, and I am very disappointed that I have not seen any sort of apology for this toward Tracey, who took the brunt of your misdirected ire.

As you continue to complain about the bus service, I felt the need to set the record straight.

Thanks for explaining the situation, Kathy. It helps put things in perspective.

Absolutely, as a matter of fact we have 2 dummy dates booked.

I think what you are reading about 2.0 is totally a result of DCL taking the best crew members off the Wonder and moving them to the Dream without making sure the replacement crew is 100% up to standard and ready for what is expected. I fully trust DCL to fix the issues.

bingo. I have no problem recommending to others, nor do I have a problem rebooking myself(dream in march, PCC 3.0, probably gonna try and hit the magic before Fantasy) because I trust DCL to fix the quality issues. If enough people are not rating things excellent, it will be addressed!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter