Would this be tacky - re: pin trading?

horselover

Why yes I would love a glass of wine!
Ok so my 2 DS have just decided they want to try pin trading this trip. We've never done it before, but we are going Easter week this time so trading will just be one more thing to keep them busy if the ride lines are horrendous ;) :scared1: . This trip is already costing way too much $ :scared1: , so I 'm trying to save where I can. More $ for souvenirs & extra snacks ;) :cool1:. Would it be tacky to make them each their own landyard at home? I can easily buy the materials at a fabric store. A little bit of velcro & we'd be good to go :thumbsup2! I probably still have time to get a lot of pins off ebay. It seems like it would be a lot cheaper & an easy way to save some $. What do you think? Also if anyone knows the width of the material across the lanyard if you could post it I'd appreciate it. :cool1: :thanks: :disrocks: :shamrock:

Of course that's not tacky. It's a good idea...it doesn't matter what kind of lanyard you have. In fact you don't have to have a lanyard at all - I've seen a lot of people just stick pins in their pockets or whevever.

We just got back from DW about a month ago and boy did my girls spend a lot of their money on pins. They had a great time trading with castmembers, but the pins can get quite expensive. They ended up buying a set of 5 for $25.00 and splitting them, so they had some cheaper ones to trade. This time, I found mousepinsonline.com and bought a grab bag of 25 pins for about $44.00. I'm giving these to the girls for Easter as a gift and they can sort through them. I took a quick look in the bag and there was a special Disney cruise pin and some pins were ones the girls didn't want to trade at DW as they were special to them, but they were all "disney" pins and can be traded at DW. So at least I now have one foot up for our next trip ;)

I tihnk it would be neat to make your own lanyards. You'd probably get a lot of comments on them. As far as cheaper pins. I go through pinseller.com All of the pins are official pin trading pins. You need to watch out for propin and sedesma pins. While they are tradeable, they are very cheap and not well liked by the pin trading world.

Another good Disney seller on e-bay is sellandship. I have bought pins from him for years now and have never ever had a problem with the quality or trading them while at Walt Disney World.

Also if anyone knows the width of the material across the lanyard if you could post it I'd appreciate it. :cool1: :thanks: :disrocks: :shamrock:

Disney lanyard sizes vary somewhat, but they normally run about 1" for the thinner ones and around 2" for the more elaborate ones. For children, I wouldn't go over 1". You'll want them wide enough to hold your DS's pins securely but not so wide that they'll be uncomfortable around their necks. :)

We just got back from DW about a month ago and boy did my girls spend a lot of their money on pins. They had a great time trading with castmembers, but the pins can get quite expensive. They ended up buying a set of 5 for $25.00 and splitting them, so they had some cheaper ones to trade. This time, I found mousepinsonline.com and bought a grab bag of 25 pins for about $44.00. I'm giving these to the girls for Easter as a gift and they can sort through them. I took a quick look in the bag and there was a special Disney cruise pin and some pins were ones the girls didn't want to trade at DW as they were special to them, but they were all "disney" pins and can be traded at DW. So at least I now have one foot up for our next trip ;)

I also did the set for our 2nd visit and that was great. We split it down the middle and let the kids trade away for better pins.

I think it's great when I see folk who've taken the time to make their own items to use in Disney verses buying the same thing 1000s of others already have. You're already supporting the WDW merchandise system plenty by buying those pins anyway :rotfl:

One tip though - we saw many dropped pins in the parks as well as lost some ourselves (off daughter's pocketbook where she thought they'd look cool, and they did - until they were lost) keep the pins up away from the normal arm/hand motion regions, the backs aren't like the old tie-tack backs and they pop off far too easy. :headache: It's awful to have to console a child who lost a favorite item.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter