Worst Room View Pics Thread

It was pretty bad. And we were pretty upset! We tried to get moved to another resort, but they wouldn't do it. All they offered was a refund of one night's rate (out of the 8 we stayed there). I sent pictures to WDW after we got back and they apologized for the BC staff not taking care of the situation when we were there and then offered us 2 free nights for future use.

Well it's great that they made some sort of attempt at amends and I always appreciate an apology. But what I just don't get is:

(1) That room has quite clearly always been in that location and always had that view; and
(2) that filthy duct and sagging panel didn't just happen overnight

So what I wonder is how many people had stayed in there before you and either not said anything and just gone away unhappy (or maybe didn't care) and how many actually complained but it was glossed over and nothing was ever done about it. It's a bit different to finding a dirty towel lying in the tub that got left behind on the last housekeeping round. These sort of things have been that way for quite some time

I just hate that water view can apparently be a slight little sliver of water that you have to bend all the way across your balcony to see.

Unfortunately, that seems to be standard with places that charge extra for the view. :sad2: But we'd still go back to the desk and protest about a "view" you can only see from the balcony, because the view does matter to us and we expect a good one if we'd paid extra.

Well, if it was a pretty view but without water, we might let it slide, but if we paid for a view and got mostly parking lot or a big honking tree blocking the window, we'd turn around and head straight back to the front desk. If enough people complain, Disney does recategorize rooms down to "value" or whatever, or at least IIRC, they have done so with some DVC units at Bay Lake. I think the average Disney visitor isn't too invested in their room view, but if Disney's charging extra for view I'd think people will let them know when they're out of line, so it should shake out a little better after the view category has been around for a while.

I agree. Disney has a really weird way of classifying rooms as 'water view'
It seems like a peeing statue counts as waterview. I'm surprised they don't upcharge all rooms as water views in the summer and count the rain in :rolleyes2

Unfortunately, that seems to be standard with places that charge extra for the view. :sad2: But we'd still go back to the desk and protest about a "view" you can only see from the balcony, because the view does matter to us and we expect a good one if we'd paid extra.

Well, if it was a pretty view but without water, we might let it slide, but if we paid for a view and got mostly parking lot or a big honking tree blocking the window, we'd turn around and head straight back to the front desk. If enough people complain, Disney does recategorize rooms down to "value" or whatever, or at least IIRC, they have done so with some DVC units at Bay Lake. I think the average Disney visitor isn't too invested in their room view, but if Disney's charging extra for view I'd think people will let them know when they're out of line, so it should shake out a little better after the view category has been around for a while.

agreed- many beach resorts seem to think that the ability to see 3 grains of sand is equal to "ocean view"

I do think Disney should categorize some of these rooms with really bad views as another room type with more of a discount, for people who don't care about the view and would go into it knowing it was a view of a service area or dirty roof or whatever. "Standard view" in my mind doesn't really encompass a view like that. That way there's no surprises, everybody knows what they're getting, and people who only want the room for the resort's other amenities could be able to get it for a little less! Everybody happy!

I'm pretty sure that standard room means exactly that. They aren't going to call it "leftover junk view not included in any other class of rooms" - they already are letting you know that it is not going to be "a view" of anything.

We LOVE booking standard rooms, exactly so we can save the money as it's not important to us. To each his own. We've had rooms with the parking lot view at boardwalk, the ones with the transformers/service area at wilderness, random mess at OKW, construction debris at All Stars. We're in.

If they had a "crappy view" room for even better discount we'd be in for that too- but i understand they don't want to have 20 different levels of views to try and organize.

But if people pay a pile extra like forest view or water view they should get it.

(one non-disney vacation skiiing in Killington VT after a sudden early season snow storm, we checked in a place across from the main lodge and the rooms were all ~300 a night or there abouts. We asked if they had anything cheaper. They hemmed and hawed about 'one room', a room that they called "the bus driver room"- basically when a busload of people comes and stays at the hotel they would give the bus driver a free room if he wanted it. It was IN THE BASEMENT- next to the door to the kitchen. There was a basement window with no view at all, and it was noisy as anything until ~10pm when the kitchen closed. But after that it was fine. They charged us less than $100 for it - and we JUMPED on it. We'd ski and then just hit the bar till 10 and then go to bed. saved more than a few hundred bucks for the weekend. - so if they charged less for the "rooftop" view without sifted stone- I'd be in every time! LOL.)

Twice in the early 2000's, when using discount codes to get an AKL room @139/night, we were upgraded to Savannah view at no additional charge. Then, in 2007 (I believe) during the AKL construction kerfuffle, we were offered a free upgrade from AKL to either GF or CR. We chose CR and got an awesome room in the tower overlooking Bay Lake. Awesome pics of DD para sailing.

Well, "Regression to the mean" can be a sonofagun.

Room 3027 at AKL in 2008:

Our%20Room%20002%20-%20Copy.jpg

OurRoomView%20003%20-%20Copy.jpg

The canopy over the walkway to the bus dropoff area.
It was only a minor disappointment that didn't dampen the the trip at all. (Well, I did drink a little more than usual on that particular visit.) ::yes::

Was that considered a "garden view". The garden being that you were able to listen to the little birds and bees out waiting for the buses?

We usually stay at AKV. Our last stay was at Kidani 7851. This is in the stretch of rooms along Pembe savanna. Overall, Pembe savanna is a bit depressing. The savanna is "deep" enough, but, the particular animals on that savanna like to hide among the trees at the back of savanna, near the gate to get into the animal care building, so you can't see them or take pictures of them. In addition, the time of day on Pembe savanna when they bring the animals inside for inspection and feeding is from about 7-10 am. So, on our vacation, we got to watch poop rounds, and lawn mowing during our breakfast and get ready to go to the park morning routine. There is a gravel path outside a wire fence, and beyond that is standard Florida brush that you can see anywhere along 192. Speaking of 192, you can see some of the rundown buildings surrounding WDW from Kidani 7851, Probably, had we been staying in 7851 during our vacation in 2011, instead of BLT, we could have had a front row view of the Vacation Lodge fire right from our balcony.

The point is, that we were charged savanna view points for this room, and one room over, 7853, is classified as standard view. 7853 is a 2 BR villa, and 7851 is a 1 BR villa, and the difference in points between savanna and standard view is enough to pay for an addtional night or two at the rate for the time of year (about 45 cumulatively for the 5 days we were there, which is a large percentage of our total points for the year). If I wanted to see Florida scrub from my room, I surely wouldn't be staying in a room that cost so many points. I wouldn't stay in a standard view room at Kidani, because the resort itself is far from parks.

When I wrote to Disney about the experience, the representative gave me some pat answer about how the animals are free ranging, etc etc.

23c5b42552d4e49bef03785f5600f03a_zpscb6936db.jpg

Wilderness Lodge Villa 3562. The view is of the service area and large service building just behind the trees on right. Busy during day with gasoline golf carts and trucks.

End of the wing...very long hallway.
This is 2/3 of way down. However, It IS a very PRETTY hallway.
f80978c2656288e655f70842d8bf769b_zpsc96f47f8.jpg

And the room is odd shopped, with the couch set way from the wall because of the post in the corner.

All views at the villas are charged the same.

00eb9995bffd983c3706c4ca21847022_zps09051c44.jpg

The canopy over the walkway to the bus dropoff area.
It was only a minor disappointment that didn't dampen the the trip at all. (Well, I did drink a little more than usual on that particular visit.) ::yes::

We were trying to cut from TTC before storm, last week, and I snapped this photo (too quickly...sorry so fuzzy). My husband said, "wouldn't that make you mad if you were staying there?!"

Sorry it was you!

72da7f8c6ea909c0c4a3877071349d2e_zps3f0fa0db.jpg

While not a horrible view, definitely not a great view either! This was room 7442 at All Star Music, in the Broadway section.
DSCN0979.JPG

As you can tell from my signature, I've stayed at a lot of resorts, and this is the worst view I've had so I'd say I'm lucky!

I finally have a room view to add to this thread.

Please understand that I am not complaining. I booked a Standard view room and that is what I got. This is the least expensive room category at the Contemporary-on the whole monorail route really, so I was thankful to have it. I knew we would not have time to sit and enjoy the view this trip anyway.

It is just that this thread was the first thing I thought of when I opened our curtains to see this wall. Also , I figured it might be helpful to those who wonder what a standard view at CR might look like. I had figured we would be facing the parking lot, but this was fine with me.

I finally have a room view to add to this thread.

Please understand that I am not complaining. I booked a Standard view room and that is what I got. This is the least expensive room category at the Contemporary-on the whole monorail route really, so I was thankful to have it. I knew we would not have time to sit and enjoy the view this trip anyway.

It is just that this thread was the first thing I thought of when I opened our curtains to see this wall. Also , I figured it might be helpful to those who wonder what a standard view at CR might look like. I had figured we would be facing the parking lot, but this was fine with me.

That is pretty bad...and while you booked std....there are much enter std view rooms. You have a great attitude. :goodvibes. I would have asked very nicely if they might find us another room. ;)

That is pretty bad...and while you booked std....there are much enter std view rooms. You have a great attitude. :goodvibes. I would have asked very nicely if they might find us another room. ;)

The other reason I just kept the room is that we checked in before noon, and really just wanted to get our bags in the room and freshen up and hit the parks. This room was ready when we got there. When I checked in online, I had specified that I wanted early check/in to take priority over any requests. We really were just relieved the room as ready.

Wow I didn't realize there were any standard rooms there that weren't facing the parking lot, that's interesting. It looks from the map that here might be 4 rooms or so on each floor of that building that face the wall. I think they should discount those a little bit, but I guess if there's people willing to pay...

I'm pretty sure that standard room means exactly that. They aren't going to call it "leftover junk view not included in any other class of rooms" - they already are letting you know that it is not going to be "a view" of anything.

Agreed. The description of standard view at Wilderness Lodge is:
"Views of Service Areas, Rooftop or Parking Areas"

That pretty much covers the worst of the worst WL pictures in this thread.

Agreed. The description of standard view at Wilderness Lodge is:
"Views of Service Areas, Rooftop or Parking Areas"

That pretty much covers the worst of the worst WL pictures in this thread.

You would think, but I had that nothing-but-rooftop view at WL back in Feb of '08 and they claimed it was "woods view". When I asked where were the woods, the response was "You can see the trees from your room", which I suppose was true: they were just the tops of the trees way out there by the bus stop beyond the roofpeaks. I had the flu at the time and had bigger problems to deal with than the view, so didn't fight it beyond asking.

It was 100% classified wrong at the time. Not sure if it's still labeled as woods view or if they finally changed it to standard.

I've noted from this thread that the Beach club has a similar issue with "water view" being 80% roof.

That's bad. I don't think they should book that as standard...it should be discounted as obstructed.

Momof2Disneyboys, that's awful. Our next trip is booked at the YC, with a standard view. I'm hoping for the roof at this point.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!