Worried about trying California

Gingeycat

Earning My Ears
I hope you can help. We have just returned from a fab Florida trip, 10 days Orlando & 10 days siesta key. However we had a brush with tropical storm Isaac, & so we are considering California next August.
We would do 3 weeks, probably 4 nights on site at disney, & then I'm stuck. I'd like to see San diego & sea world, we want to renew our wedding vows somewhere & probably an oc beach. We are a family with 2 children who will be 7 & 5. We all love the beach, & I'd really like a beachfront condo or hotel with a pool as well. I'm a bit worried that California will be cold - someone on trip advisor has concerned me that it's not that warm in August. I know Florida is different, but is ca really that bad? We all love the heat, so I'm just not sure & am tying myself in knots.
A potential itinerary is 4 nights Disney, 4 nights hotel del Coronado & 2 weeks at a condo in Dana point. Any thoughts/suggestions/comparisons to Florida much appreciated, thank you.

San Diego weather is warm in August. In fact last week it was in the 100's. Ca weather is different than Florida, so if you like heat your in the right spot.:thumbsup2 I lived in S Ca half my life.

August can be hot out here, I think what you're probably reading when people say it's cold is talking about the beaches. The water is cold, at least much, much colder than the water in Florida. I am a Florida to California transplant and I can't swim in the ocean here because I find it too chilly. Plenty of people still do, I'm just not one of them. I know that makes me sound like Debbie Downer but I just wouldn't want you to plan on spending hours at the beach swimming if that's just not what you'll be doing here. That said, there are WAYYYYYY more things to do down here rather than go to the beach everyday. There are so many attractions that it would be silly not to come just because the ocean is colder ;)

If you're wanting to get a beach house, I'd do it more south here in San Diego (Mission Beach/La Jolla/Pacific Beach) because all the attractions you'll want to hit are down here. I know you said you'd stay at Coronado for 4 days but there's honestly even more stuff to see down here in San Diego alone... certainly more than 4 days worth. Maybe do a beach house down here for a week and then one more by Dana Point for a week?

I would actually recommend renting a beach house in Oxnard or Ventura. It may be less expensive and they're close to Santa Barbara. Plus, if you're doing SD and Disney, Ventura or Santa Barbara can be a nice drive and you will be along the coast for a good portion.

The water may be cold-ish but once you're in there it's not bad. It'll be cool and crisp in the morning and by 11 it'll be nice and warm, maybe even hot.

Since you'll have 3 weeks I would really stress driving up the coast and stopping along the way ending in San Francisco. It's really the best way to see CA.

I'm a bit worried that California will be cold - someone on trip advisor has concerned me that it's not that warm in August.
I guess you need to define what is not that warm to you.

California in August can be hot - above 80 and into the 100's. This year (2012) was crazy hot most of August - 90's for three weeks. Generally along the coast August in CA is upper 70's. If upper 70's along the beaches is too cold for your comfort, head inland a few miles for mid to upper 80's.

I would definitely do more days at DLR, at least 5 nights. Go to the CA trip reports board ( not DLR) to read about great CA trips.

I agree with Sonnyjane. We rented a beach house in Mission Beach in San Diego for a week for 5 summers. We went late August as many places lower their rates then. We can't do it anymore as my son has high school band camp then, and we all really miss it. We might have a few days with morning clouds, but it was always warm in the afternoon. Sometimes quite hot, especially a few miles inland. I don't go in the water, but it was never too cold for my kids. Definitely a wonderful place to spend a week. If you go up the coast to central or northern California, it can be cold there in August. We were in Monterey early August this year and it was in the 60s. But Southern California is generally pretty hot in August. Have fun planning!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter