Worried about driving on Pacific Coast Hwy. (PCH)

Torontogal

Mouseketeer & Disney Vacation Club Member
Hi all,

My hubby is planning to do a drive on the PCH from around SLO to San Francisco. We heard the beauty is stunning and really want to drive some of it for photo taking purposes. It would be a shame to be in CA and miss this.

Can you guys please give me your experiences on the highway? I am a little nervous as I am travelling with my 2 boys and worried about the cliffs, narrow roads and want to be safe. The highways here in Ontario - do not compare to this one!

Should I be nervous? Any advice you can give a worried mom? Are there plenty of rest stops along the route? Any areas where we can stop car and take photos? Are drivers patient with tourists?

Love to hear your opinions on this. Thanks.

Its really not that bad as I find driving to the local mountains worse. We have brought all of our kids in a minivan along PCH from SLO to Monterey. There are a lot of places to stop to check the view. During the summer it is very cloudy so you may not be able to see much of the ocean, but it just depends. I suggest that if you do go slow to pull over to the side and let the faster cars pass by. There are a lot of places on the road that allow you to do that. Also, the portion from San Simeon to Big Sur is the only part that has the "narrow roads" and cliffs that you are worried about but in my opinion, its not as bad as it seems.

Thank you Scooter for your response.

You definitely made us feel less worried. Can't wait to see this beautiful view!

We drove PCH from N. California to L.A. about 5 years ago and loved it. What a way to see Calif. It is no different than driving in the mountains. There are many places where you will just have to go slow and take your time. Make sure you take the Monteray drive, it is so beautiful there.

The PCH is so gorgeous up there! Don't miss it. I agree with the previous posters, just drive slowly and let others pass as needed. Also, be sure to fill up your gas before you start, because the few stations along the way are pretty pricey.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter