WONDERous adventures on the Panama Canal - 4/23/17

Sorry Have been away for a bit, But all paid off and making the detailed plans...

To all you guys that have done this in the past, How reasonable will it be to take a Taxi from the port to San Diego International Airport????

Sorry Have been away for a bit, But all paid off and making the detailed plans...

To all you guys that have done this in the past, How reasonable will it be to take a Taxi from the port to San Diego International Airport????

There can be quite a line for taxis but it moves quickly and they manage it very well. It is only a very short taxi ride to the airport, this is what we will be doing.

If anyone is interested in transportation options, it's a quite reasonable walk (with luggage) to the Amtrak station. That's what we did in 2015 to get to Anaheim.

Update from Disney about prebooking. We will be able to book character experiences soon. No set date. Evidently, they were loaded, but decided to make some changes, so they were removed for the time being. Anyone interested in the port adventure to Las Caletas in Puerto Vallarta will have to choose another option. Evidently our port time is a little shorter than other cruises to Puerto Vallarta, and they could not make it work with the vendor. Anyone do the pirate ship cruise there before? Any feedback?

Anyone interested in the port adventure to Las Caletas in Puerto Vallarta will have to choose another option. Evidently our port time is a little shorter than other cruises to Puerto Vallarta, and they could not make it work with the vendor.

Ooh. Thanks for the info. I'd thought that's what we'd booked. It's what we'd wanted to do in 2015 but they skipped the stop. We're doing the Historic towns one this time around.

Update from Disney about prebooking. We will be able to book character experiences soon. No set date. Evidently, they were loaded, but decided to make some changes, so they were removed for the time being. Anyone interested in the port adventure to Las Caletas in Puerto Vallarta will have to choose another option. Evidently our port time is a little shorter than other cruises to Puerto Vallarta, and they could not make it work with the vendor. Anyone do the pirate ship cruise there before? Any feedback?
Thank you for the update. It was frustrating to see the character greetings but not be able to book times was frustrating. I will check again soon.

Very excited. My wife and four year old have never ridden in a limo, so I booked a limo to take from The Poly to Port Canaveral. Not going to tell them, just surprise them that day. Was actually very reasonable. Getting closer to spending 14 amazing days with all of you.

If anyone is interested in transportation options, it's a quite reasonable walk (with luggage) to the Amtrak station. That's what we did in 2015 to get to Anaheim.
That's great advice. We are spending three days at DL after. I rented a car at the Enterprise by the port. Didn't even think about Amtrak.

Very excited. My wife and four year old have never ridden in a limo, so I booked a limo to take from The Poly to Port Canaveral. Not going to tell them, just surprise them that day. Was actually very reasonable. Getting closer to spending 14 amazing days with all of you.
That will be such a fun surprise for them! Looks like you get to spend some time at the parks beforehand. With taking our kids out of school for two weeks for the cruise, we cannot squeak out even one more day. It will be so hard to be so close to the parks on both coasts and not be able to visit even one.

That will be such a fun surprise for them! Looks like you get to spend some time at the parks beforehand. With taking our kids out of school for two weeks for the cruise, we cannot squeak out even one more day. It will be so hard to be so close to the parks on both coasts and not be able to visit even one.
We are doing four days before at WDW and then three days after at DL. We did the Transatlantic last May and then this cruise now, since our four year old will start kindergarten this fall, limiting our travel options. Understand completely about taking them out of school. Wish schools looked at travel more as a learning opportunity so we could pull her out in the future to travel the world. It's a problem we are not ready to face. Hahaha.

We are doing four days before at WDW and then three days after at DL. We did the Transatlantic last May and then this cruise now, since our four year old will start kindergarten this fall, limiting our travel options. Understand completely about taking them out of school. Wish schools looked at travel more as a learning opportunity so we could pull her out in the future to travel the world. It's a problem we are not ready to face. Hahaha.
Our school is "somewhat" flexible, but it really is interesting how close minded thay are about the benefits of travel. The only cruise that I ever knew that I wanted to do was the Panama Canal. Since we started cruising with Disney, I have been coveting that cruise. The past few years have been in Sept., soon after school started or in May which was also bad timing with our school getting out in early June. When they slightly shifted the itinerary we jumped on this cruise, even with having to take our kids out of school. So happy we did because the next two that have been released would not have been a possibility either. Also, we felt it was our "last chance" with an 8th grader. :)
We have done the majority of our family cruising over the summer and taking advantage of early or late to take advantage of a little bit of savings from peak travel time.

If you're really excited about the limo, confirm that you're actually getting a limo. My DS and I booked a limo from Port Canaveral to DisneyWorld and although I booked the "limo" fair, it turns out we were not guaranteed a limo. We ended up in just a big car. Not really complaining, I didn't care too much. We just needed a ride to DW. :)

That's great advice. We are spending three days at DL after. I rented a car at the Enterprise by the port. Didn't even think about Amtrak.
[edited as I apparently scrambled my thoughts]
It was nice and easy to take the train to DL from San Diego. We were staying in one of the DL hotels so it was just walking distance and we didn't need a car once we were there. It was a fairly quick/cheap taxi to DL from the train station in Anaheim. I recommend the higher class fare (hardly more expensive iirc) but remember that they give you a meal. We forgot, bought hamburgers on the train and then they delivered lunch. :)

If you're really excited about the limo, confirm that you're actually getting a limo. My DS and I booked a limo from Port Canaveral to DisneyWorld and although I booked the "limo" fair, it turns out we were not guaranteed a limo. We ended up in just a big car. Not really complaining, I didn't care too much. We just needed a ride to DW. :)

I booked a specific Limo just for that very reason. Chrysler 300 stretch to be exact. Wanted to know exactly what we were getting and not have something unexpected show up. I also did a lot of research on Limo companies in Orlando, and Happy Limo had a lot of great reviews for transfers to Port Canaveral. They have been very great to work with so far.

[edited as I apparently scrambled my thoughts]
It was nice and easy to take the train to DL from San Diego. We were staying in one of the DL hotels so it was just walking distance and we didn't need a car once we were there. It was a fairly quick/cheap taxi to DL from the train station in Anaheim. I recommend the higher class fare (hardly more expensive iirc) but remember that they give you a meal. We forgot, bought hamburgers on the train and then they delivered lunch. :)

I will keep that in mind for the future. We are DVC and will be staying at VGC after, then flying back to Orlando out of LAX. Was able to get a car for a reasonable rate. I will definitely look at Amtrak in the future.

I will keep that in mind for the future. We are DVC and will be staying at VGC after, then flying back to Orlando out of LAX. Was able to get a car for a reasonable rate. I will definitely look at Amtrak in the future.

I booked a specific Limo just for that very reason. Chrysler 300 stretch to be exact. Wanted to know exactly what we were getting and not have something unexpected show up. I also did a lot of research on Limo companies in Orlando, and Happy Limo had a lot of great reviews for transfers to Port Canaveral. They have been very great to work with so far.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!