Winter in Wyoming

calypso726

Escaping reality one Disney vacation at a time
We are here! Our ABD begins tomorrow morning with a welcome breakfast. We arrived earlier this afternoon. I am glad we decided to leave on the earliest flight out of Ft. Lauderdale. It got us here just in the nick of time. The flight attendants said they weren't allowing any landings after ours. I hope our fellow ABD travelers are or were able to make it in. As a Floridian, winter weather issues aren't normally on my radar. Had I thought about it I would have likely arrived yesterday instead. None the less, I now know what a whiteout looks like.

I was very excited to see it snowing when we landed since I've only seen snow come down twice in my life. DH left his winter coat and gear in his checked bag thinking he'd change into the appropriate attire at the airport. Neither of us realized that we'd deplane on the tarmac and then walk to the terminal in the snow :cold: Good thing he wasn't wearing flip flops :laughing: On the drive to the Wort hotel we saw a moose, deer, and herd of elk! We met our guides in the lobby and I can tell we are going to love them and have an amazing time!

The hotel is warm and inviting and the staff is super nice. Our room is called the Cowgirl suite and is (borrowing a phrase from the younger generation) "totes adorbs". I love theming and it is themed really well. We walked around town a little bit. There is a really cool place called the Cowboy Bar right around the corner. The seats are saddles. I struggled a bit getting on one since I feel like the Michelin Man between all the layers of thermals, down puffy jacket, ski coat and pants etc. Afterwards we ate at Bin 22. They serve tapas and wine. The food was wonderful and so was their hot cocoa.

IMG_2619.JPG IMG_2614.JPG
IMG_2615.JPG

IMG_2616.JPG

IMG_2618.JPG

Looks snowy! Who are your Guides? :) Man, I really hope the rest of your group makes it! The traveling conditions are not good!

Sayhello

Phew! So glad you guys made it there safely and before the storm. I can't wait to read the report. Hope you have a fabulous time!

Welcome to the Neighborhood ( I am not too far away in MT)
There are optional airports that can be used but then you have to drive to get to Jackson Hole. This is a trip if I was doing I would do a one way rental each way and drive it due the time being shorter than flying with the layover ( no direct flights unless you know someone with a private plane and I don't)

Looks like fun! This is one adventure I'll experience vicariously since I thought I was going to freeze to death in Wyoming in July ;)

Glad you made it in okay...I'm like your DH, I travel not in flip flops but always ballet flats sans socks-it can be cold upon arrival some places!

As always, love your pictures.

Thanks in advance for your review. We live in those jackets here in Vt. so I can relate. Great town to explore but prices reflect the "beautiful people" IMO. Check out the store that sells winter jackets and furs...WOW. Hope you enjoy all the white stuff and I sit on the edge of my seat waiting for more.

Super excited to follow along with your trip report. This trip has been on my radar for quite a while now. Hopefully we'll pull the trigger (either on the ABD, or more likely, the NatGeo Winter Wildlife in Yellowstone Family Expedition) in the next couple of years. So glad you guys made it there safely and on time!!

Looks snowy! Who are your Guides? :) Man, I really hope the rest of your group makes it! The traveling conditions are not good!

Sayhello

We have Ken and Mark Chris. They are phenomenal! It's day one and we already love them both! A party of 12 canceled last minute. I don't know if they couldn't get in or if there was a family emergency. There are 9 including us in the group.

Phew! So glad you guys made it there safely and before the storm. I can't wait to read the report. Hope you have a fabulous time!

We are having a great time. I am loving this trip!!!

Welcome to the Neighborhood ( I am not too far away in MT)
There are optional airports that can be used but then you have to drive to get to Jackson Hole. This is a trip if I was doing I would do a one way rental each way and drive it due the time being shorter than flying with the layover ( no direct flights unless you know someone with a private plane and I don't)

It's good to know there are other options to get in and out. Our driver that picked us up said this is the most snow they've had in 40 years and everyone is coming in from all over to ski.

This is a great trip! Have fun...

Thanks! We are really enjoying it already.

Looks like fun! This is one adventure I'll experience vicariously since I thought I was going to freeze to death in Wyoming in July ;)

Glad you made it in okay...I'm like your DH, I travel not in flip flops but always ballet flats sans socks-it can be cold upon arrival some places!

As always, love your pictures.

Thank you. The scenery is amazing. It's cold for a Floridian but I made sure to get advice from a ski shop in order to gear up with proper attire.

Thanks in advance for your review. We live in those jackets here in Vt. so I can relate. Great town to explore but prices reflect the "beautiful people" IMO. Check out the store that sells winter jackets and furs...WOW. Hope you enjoy all the white stuff and I sit on the edge of my seat waiting for more.

Happy to write up a review, you're welcome. They sure keep you warm! I am loving the white stuff but don't think I'd want to live with it. I much prefer visiting snow periodically.

Super excited to follow along with your trip report. This trip has been on my radar for quite a while now. Hopefully we'll pull the trigger (either on the ABD, or more likely, the NatGeo Winter Wildlife in Yellowstone Family Expedition) in the next couple of years. So glad you guys made it there safely and on time!!

Oh it's has been wonderful so far. Everything is breathtakingly beautiful! Our guides are phenomenal. I already want to do the summer Wyoming trip which wasn't even on my radar. Ok, I'm going to start my next installment.

Last edited:
Our welcome breakfast was this morning at 8:30 with bags out at 8. There are only NINE people in our group. A party of 12 canceled last minute and none of us know why. The two families traveling with us are all together and have known each other for years. They are great traveling companions and we have been having an absolute blast! At breakfast this morning in addition to our lanyards we received a scarf and watch cap that says Adventures by Disney. I was all like, YES! Finally ABD branded stuff to wear! I've likely mentioned the desire for branded merchandise on all my surveys, to all the guides I've met and anyone who will listen.

We left The Wort hotel this morning on the tour bus and made our way to Flagg Ranch for lunch and then on to Snow Lodge. Water bottles are not allowed in Yellowstone so we were given refillable water containers. After lunch we headed off in a different vehicle with our nature expert and local guide Josh. The scenery on the drive was mesmerizing. Everything is so incredibly beautiful! You simply couldn't take a bad picture today.

We went on a guided walk around the West Thumb Geyser basin. The geothermal features are really cool. It's so amazing to watch the bubbling water and steam all surrounded by snow. We did see a coyote trotting by and managed to get a picture of him/her. Afterwards we made our way to the Snow Lodge and watched Old Faithful erupt. That was really awesome to see! After dinner this evening we went outside and made s'mores. This was the first time DH or I ever made s'mores.

6DCE4FB7-41AB-4127-BBEC-B83C242BAF6E.JPG

EF8E6FCD-8342-4595-8C6C-2C1E76DC6331.JPG
EA8AA13E-D898-404F-B52F-B72369B9D25D.JPG

5AC02146-64CB-4FE2-94D6-DC05A782F5A0.JPG

06FC0456-3D38-4F6F-949A-7991424CC582.JPG
D85585BD-6CB2-4DD7-9E29-F7AE7C9038E5.JPG
8931727C-8F0F-47EB-A7AD-258F8B38F39A.JPG

What gorgeous photos! Thank you for taking the time to write a trip report! I am not a cold weather person, but this makes we want to go to Wyoming in the winter. Only NINE in your group?! WOW!

That juxtaposition of the steamy water and the icy snow is just so striking! This looks like a really lovely way to see Yellowstone! And it looks like you're having some decent (if cold) weather!

Looking forward to more!

Sayhello

I am so jealous. I had so wanted to do this one. But between my partner hating snow and cold, and the budget constraints, we had to wait. Looks fabulous.

The trip looks incredible. I love the Coyote pic! (I saw one on the Boise Greenbelt the other day but couldn't get a picture.) I've loved the small-group experience on some of our recent (non-ABD) trips, so I'm excited for you to have only 9 in your group. I'll be curious to hear your thoughts at the end about whether the size made a positive or negative difference in your overall experience. Can't wait to read the next installment!

FYI, it is not true that bottled water is not allowed in the park. It is. Concessions in the park do not sell it anymore, but you are free to bring it in yourself. The NPS encourages you to recycle your water bottles.

FYI, it is not true that bottled water is not allowed in the park. It is. Concessions in the park do not sell it anymore, but you are free to bring it in yourself. The NPS encourages you to recycle your water bottles.

My DH works for the company that supplies the majority of the food prepared and sold in Yellowstone. Both the warehouse ( where my husband works) and the drivers are happy they no longer have to move that huge amount of water especially in the summer when there is 3-5 trucks every 2-3 days. ( each batch of water is 4 flats wide by 10 flats high wrapped in a heavy plastic so it doesn't tip and easier to haul with a hand cart. A flat holds 6 cases. I will leave it to you to do the math on how much weight that is).

I love the pictures and look forward to reading more about your trip.

This trip is like walking around in Narnia. At every moment I feel like I am walking in a post card that has come to life. It is simply magical! We left this morning and saw the sun rising behind the trees and light shining on the mountain. It was just so lovely. I swear if I had a dollar for every time I said, "Oh my God this is so beautiful!" today I'd have enough to pay for our next ABD trip.

Today we visited more geothermal areas and saw bison E V E R Y W H E R E! It was an awesome day. Later in the afternoon we did cross country skiing. I discovered muscles I did not know exist. Somehow I managed to remain upright and enjoyed the beautiful scenery. I must say that I am floored that this Winter in Wyoming adventure doesn't have a gazillion trip reports. The Wyoming summer trip has never been on my radar. We are only on day 2 and Wyoming in the summer is now on our "list of ABD trips to take." I'll let the pictures do the rest of the talking for me.

2C058A17-1DF6-4BAB-9021-F0E80CC522F0.JPG

DCD72C8B-9269-48E6-9672-0B42E4F39FFB.JPG
D6F4EAA9-28A2-43C4-B4C0-ECFD9FE7197C.JPG

F0033650-77D3-42DA-8FE6-A8C0DBAFD6E2.JPG

37CFE64E-B21B-469A-AC4E-42903E13C2B5.JPG

26E00CF3-93BB-47BE-BEE0-368117DF70FA.JPG

79735CA2-75E0-403C-A5D1-5E9072A9F13D.JPG

57821FA8-92FF-485E-84A9-9802B04499E8.JPG

6F26FB6B-E782-4F50-A589-3C1B9604AFBC.JPG

Last edited:
What gorgeous photos! Thank you for taking the time to write a trip report! I am not a cold weather person, but this makes we want to go to Wyoming in the winter. Only NINE in your group?! WOW!

Thank you and you're welcome. We are from Florida and anything below 70 requires a jacket. This is worth braving the cold for me though.

That juxtaposition of the steamy water and the icy snow is just so striking! This looks like a really lovely way to see Yellowstone! And it looks like you're having some decent (if cold) weather!

Looking forward to more!

Sayhello

The weather has been great besides the fact that it is cold. Today we stood in front of a small geyser and the steam was blowing right towards us. It was sooooo nice and warm. I enjoyed standing there until about 5 minutes later when I realized my hair was frozen into icicles LOL

I am so jealous. I had so wanted to do this one. But between my partner hating snow and cold, and the budget constraints, we had to wait. Looks fabulous.

It has been amazing so far. If you ever get the chance I'd highly recommend it!

The trip looks incredible. I love the Coyote pic! (I saw one on the Boise Greenbelt the other day but couldn't get a picture.) I've loved the small-group experience on some of our recent (non-ABD) trips, so I'm excited for you to have only 9 in your group. I'll be curious to hear your thoughts at the end about whether the size made a positive or negative difference in your overall experience. Can't wait to read the next installment!

We saw another one while cross country skiing today. I have to say I am really loving the small group experience. Fortunately the two families on our tour are really fun and easy going people. If they weren't I could see how the experience would not be nearly as great. I saw ABD is now doing private tours that take about 10 people. I think it would be awesome if they did that as an option for non private tours.

I likely misunderstood. Maybe the guides said "we aren't allowed ..." and I took that to mean everyone not just the tour group.

My DH works for the company that supplies the majority of the food prepared and sold in Yellowstone. Both the warehouse ( where my husband works) and the drivers are happy they no longer have to move that huge amount of water especially in the summer when there is 3-5 trucks every 2-3 days. ( each batch of water is 4 flats wide by 10 flats high wrapped in a heavy plastic so it doesn't tip and easier to haul with a hand cart. A flat holds 6 cases. I will leave it to you to do the math on how much weight that is).

I love the pictures and look forward to reading more about your trip.

Yikes!!! I'll bet they're happy. Thank you very much. We are enjoying it a great deal.

I can give lots of fun suggestions for extending a trip to the Yellowstone National Park area when your ready to make a summer trip.

Love the Bison photo. The one in the middle I would say is one of last spring calfs. Except for mating the bulls tend to be alone. Yellowstone is one of two places that you can see bison wandering free, the other is Custer State Park in SD. So sad that a majestic animal was almost wiped out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter