• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Windsor Hills: Generally, a big Thumbs UP!

stepnut

Mouseketeer
We rented a 3BR at Windsor Hills resort through Florida Sun Vacation Homes. In general, we were very pleased. We had rented a 2BR last summer via VRBO, (in a different resort) but this trip was a little short notice, and VRBO was a little limited. I wanted a place that was decorated nicely, not just plain white walls and ordinary furniture. I understand that with a condo rental, it's pretty much established that because it's not a hotel, you provide everything yourself. But there were some things I was surprised by. So, I'll list the pros and cons.

The pros: We were thrilled with the location of WH. Super convenient & to EVERYTHING! 10 minutes to Animal Kingdom! 15 to MK. The grounds were gorgeous. Love the idea of a gated community! The condo was spacious and new. Loved the screened deck/lanai. The decor of our unit was really pretty. I think it was the one called "Tweety's Nest". Warm chocolate and amber colors, with leather sofa and HUGE dining table in rich dark colors. Comfy beds...each child with thier own room was a godsend! The management company was easy to work with, although sometimes a little slow responding to emails. I would have been better off to call with my questions instead.

Now the cons: The kitchen floor was sticky. There was nothing in any literature about needing to leave a deposit at the clubhouse to get a pool keycard. There was not enough toilet paper. A half roll in each bathroom was not enough for our family of 4. I can't imagine it being enough for the rated capacity of 8 people. No tissues. There wasn't enough kid's size plastic dishes/cups. None, actually. No cookie sheet (we made a frozen pizza). No salt/pepper. No laundry detergent. (The rental agreement said there would be a single serving of laundry detergent and DW detergent. There was only 1 pack of DW detergent.) One single serve pack of coffee for the Mr. Coffee machine. That was unexpected, and I didn't use it, but it did make me wonder why supply the coffee without the filters? I didn't think there were enough dishes...I had to constantly wash by hand what I needed. My personal opinion (based on where we stayed last visit) was that it was awkward to get from the 3rd floor unit to the parking lot via either the stairs or the elevator. Decorative landscaping and the layout of walkways made for extra and unnecessary walking.

All in all, we'd stay there again in a heartbeat. The rate was unbeatable, and the place was really great. I just need to ask more questions ahead of time about what to bring, what's already supplied.

If you weren't expecting to have to buy/bring some of the items that weren't there, I can see how you would be a little surprised. We rent homes quite a bit and we always go expecting that we will need to purchase toilet paper, coffee, dish soap, laundry soap... and then if any of it is supplied, it's a nice surprise. I agree that it is frustrating if there aren't enough dishes or pots and pans. We have always had plenty of dishes, but pots and pans are generally lacking or in poor shape at the places we have rented. Last trip, I ended up buying a nonstick pan to make eggs and pancakes in and we bought a pizza pan because they had no baking sheets or pizza pans. I used it to cook frozen pizzas, frozen french fries, chicken nuggets and drop and bake cookies so it was worth the price. The non-stick fry pan was about $20, so I decided to pack it and bring it home with me. I left the pizza pan because it only cost me $4 and I have plenty of them at home. The thing that frustrates me is going to a home that doesn't supply a broom and dust pan and/or a vacuum cleaner. I would think you would want to supply as many cleaning supplies as possible so that people can help out and keep the home clean.

I am glad to hear you had a good time. Thanks for the review.

I understand about wanting a broom or dustpan but I think they figure, you get charged a cleaning fee so why would you need to clean?

As for the broom and dustpan, this drove my mother nuts at the condo we rented in WH last year. They had a dustpan, but no broom!! I hate walking in crumbs on the floor and this bound to happen in the kitchen and dining area (especially with children) ... so she bought a broom and left it for them. No big deal, but just inconvenient a wee bit ... the owner didn't know where the broom would have gone as he said they did have one. Maybe the cleaning company took it?? We also bought a strainer so we could rinse our grapes, strawberries, etc off as well.

Even though the company cleans at the end ... I need it to be clean during the stay as well!! :goodvibes

KErri

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter