~Will I Be Making A Mistake Staying At AKL?~

disneyworld!

<font color="87005b">Love, Peace & Mickey.....and
ok, just came back from staying at BC and WL. I have booked AKL for more or less relaxing, I am trying to do all the resorts and if I had an "active" stay doing all the parks. I may not stay here. thought the timing was good due to the fact I just DID everything. so this trip I can relax.........but I have been hearing some negitive. should I change resorts??

No, go - you will love it - wife and I did a long weekend trip in Oct 2004 and it was perfect for a relaxing weekend for 2.

NO WAY! AKL is an incredible resort. We ALWAYS stay there on the last two nights of our trip. We like to have some down time at the pool and the kids love the afternoon activities offered at the resort. Then, there's dinner at Boma--what else can I say!

AKL is absolutely beautiful and you will just love it! Are you in a savanah room? Make sure you go out on the balcony by Arusha rock in the evening and sit in the rocking chairs (2nd or 3rd floor I think). Also make sure you have a glass of frunch with your breakfast in Boma.

We just got back today and I was so unsure of it I had split my stay. Now we wish we just stayed at AKL. It was a hotel both kids and myself and DH loved. Loved having breakfast on balcony watching the animals.
It's nice weather you have children or not, there seems to be activities going on for both. If you feel like being social the public viewing areas with rocking chairs always seem to have a couple of people there.
I only had a couple of minor complaints one being the distance to parks or feeling isolated because we are used to the Swan/Dolphin area and like it. So in your case that you want a more relaxing vaca. AKL is perfect.

No, don't change. AKL is perfect for your needs this trip. If you were going to go commando-style in the parks, then I'd probably recommend a different resort with more convenient transportation options. But being that you are looking for relaxation, yes AKL is perfect.

One thing my DF and I can agree on about AKL is that it's definitely for relaxing! Especially with a nice savannah view...the pool is fun, the restaurants are great, and access to a gym was convinient.

only downfall to that resort is its proxmity to the rest of WDW.

Is the savannah view really worth the extra cash? I have 4 nights booked with the view and I'm still trying to convince myself it's worth it.

PS - did you REALLY get kicked out of the AKL????

stacey_leah said:
Is the savannah view really worth the extra cash? I have 4 nights booked with the view and I'm still trying to convince myself it's worth it.

If you think that you will be spending some time in your room relaxing, then most definitely. This was one of the highlights of our trip.

You can be asked to leave the AKL for doing anything that could possibly harm the animals - you sign a form to this effect when you check in. Balloons need to be checked at Bell Services. You will not find any straws.

stacey_leah said:

That all depends on what room you get, how often you're in your room, when you're in your room, and possibly the weather (the animals may be out there in the rain, but will you be?)

It can be worth the money, but you can be disapointed too.

For us just staying in AKL was a stretch, but like I've posted before a few days before the trip I changed to Savanah view and I'm glad I did. We all were glad. I'll deal with the bills this week now that I'm back to reality. But for a special trip the Savanah view seemed worth it.

OK, this is what I did. I am going to stay at the AKL. and I HAD a standard view....just got a new credit card ;) and was very tempted to do the Grand.....BUT I did not. I upgraded to the pool standard. that way I have something to look at. When I g to the parks, I go...first bus in moring, unless at night for E-night. and all day at resort. so that is the plan. only 100 bucks more to upgrade my room.

I WILL do the AKL this time!
thanks

BUT mark my words! the Grand for in Dec!!!

We went to AKL in April, and my dh had to leave early, leaving me with the teens (in an adjoining room). I never wanted to leave my room! I could've sat on the balcony and watched the animals all day...the savannah view is beautiful, even at night (with the "moonlight"). If you really want to relax, I think AKL is a wonderful resort to do just that.

It's a nice resort to relax at, you can just sit on your balcony and watch the animals walk by if you get a Savannah view (or you can go to the viewing areas). However, the pool gets ridiculously crowded as it seems they don't have enough seating.

melanie18 said:
It's a nice resort to relax at, you can just sit on your balcony and watch the animals walk by if you get a Savannah view (or you can go to the viewing areas). However, the pool gets ridiculously crowded as it seems they don't have enough seating.
what about a quite pool? do they have that?

I was nervous before my stay in Jan, but now we are booked again in Sept/Oct. There is only one pool but it wasn't crowded and it is large. We were upgraded to Savannah view in Jan so now we are hooked on the view. Hope you enjoy!!

I usually don't post on this board, but I just had to say something about the AKL.

My family and I just returned from our trip to WDW and a stay at AKL. Let me just say that when we drove up to the lodge for the first time it was like being in another world! I felt like a kid all over again! This place is soooooo beautiful, and I'm glad we decided to stay there. I was hesitant at first, but this place is just unbelievable to me. It's like a Shang-ri-la!~

The only things negative I can say (and they're minor compared to all this resort has going for it) is that the kiddie pool is small, and it's a bit of a walk to Mara, the food court. Also I wish the Mara had a larger selection of hot food items for lunch and dinner, but the times we ate there the food was very good! They will make a salad for you fresh as you're waiting. The chicken chowder soup is yummy too!

I also want to add that it's extremely hard to pass up a visit to Boma while you're staying there. In the evening when the scent of all that delicious food wafts through the stairway down to the restaurant, well, it's just too hard to pass up! I thought the food was delicious, and it is definitely a selection you won't find anywhere else I can think of.

Where else can you wake up and walk out onto a balcony with your cup of coffee and watch animals grazing in the morning? Too incredible!

I realize everyone has their own opinions about the resorts, but as far as mine goes, I'd stay there again in a heartbeat! The staff is so friendly, and the CM's who work with the children's activities are the best! Oh goodness, I'm getting a little homesick for the lodge already!

Go and have fun! I don't think you'd regret a stay here.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter