Will Be in Southern Calif in Sept - What to do?

pulp

just a little different
im gonna be there late august early spetember of this year....how are the crowds at the beaches and how long of a boat ride is it from where ever to catalina....what is some other stuff to do besides,parks,beaches, and rodeo drive

Having lived up until 1 year ago in beautiful Southern California (San Diego), let me see if I can help you.

Crowds at beaches - not bad unless it is the weekend (schools back in session right after labor day except for collages). If the weather is good (as it usually is, then the crowds will be found in La Jolla and DelMar. If you are new to SoCal beaches, remember that Pacific ocean water is much cooler then Atlantic ocean. A warm day the water is 72 to maybe 74.

Catalina - You have to go north to catch the Catalina Express from San Pedro, Long Beach or Dana Point. Dana Point is closest to San Diego. Takes about 1 hour 30 mins.

Aside from beaches, Wild Animal Park, Famous San Diego Zoo and Sea World, don town San Diego and Coronado Island are great areas to visit along with Balboa Park. Prospect Street in LaJolla has nice shopping and resturants over looking the ocean. In DelMar, Jake's is excellent and so is the view.

Hope this helps.

If you're looking for something a little off the beaten path, you may want to attend the Toshiba Tall Ships Festival in Dana Point, Sept 6 & 7. Check here for details on the ships attending, vendors and entertainment: http://tallshipsfestival.com/index2.html I've attended this festival the past 3 years and it's always a good time. Great chance to tour a number of tall ships and even go on a battle sail, if you're up for some seafaring fun.

Oh, and as much as you couldn't pay me to go to it, there's also the NASCAR race at Auto Club Speedway (formerly California Speedway) in Fontana the evening of August 31.

Oh, and as much as you couldn't pay me to go to it, there's also the NASCAR race at Auto Club Speedway (formerly California Speedway) in Fontana the evening of August 31.

Yes call me crazy but I've been to that race...H is a BIG Nascar fan. Anyway, unless you are an extremely extremely die hard Nascar fan, don't go because last year it was 115 degrees in the stands. H and I ran back to the car and started the AC for about an hour until the sun started going down. Even without the sun, it was 98-100 degrees.

As far as other stuff...

*Hollywood Bowl. There are some concerts in August and September.
*Griffith Park Observatory. I haven't been since it reopened but people say its much nicer and great view of LA.
*Getty Museum
*Body Worlds 3 at the California Science Center at Exposition Park. Not sure you are into that but from what friends have told me its very interesting.

Also the weather in August and September is usually our hottest. At least that's what I noticed.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter