• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Why is DL so crowded these days? Just got back...

sasha

Mouseketeer
Hi All,

I was just at DL with my family yesterday and we renewed our AP's after being without them for over a year. DH & I were talking that DL seems so much more crowded than it was a few years ago. Does anyone know why? We went yesterday (Friday) and it's not Spring Break or anything, but it was really crowded, as if it were a Saturday. When we went this past December (on a Tuesday) there were much more crowds than we expected back then too. When DH & I originally got our AP's about 4 years ago it was pretty much empty on the weekdays, but not anymore.

Anyone have any insight on this? Just curious....

Sasha :)

P.S. - ETA, all 3 of the DL Hotels were completely booked last night.

Here is why I think it's busier. More SoCal residents having AP's and big promotions that have been happening the past few years.

I don't know, but I don't think you can say that it's not spring break. Schools are on many different schedules, and there's really no way to know when each school's break is...I consider all of March and April to have the potential for a spring break somewhere, and I know in WA state there's a mid-winter break in February...that's many students (and parents) that have the potential to be there...

Anyway, just like school-start and start-of-summer, the dates for that vary widely from district to district, state to state, etc...

also, for awhile now, Friday has been a really busy day...its like the start of the weekend...and yeah remember, they are doing the play at the kids price right now so alot of people are taking advantage of that

It might not be spring break in your area but it is for other schools!

We went for my birthday 2 years ago the week of the 16th and it was so busy they stayed open late 2/3 days like summer months. We ended up meeting lots of people from TX on spring break (approx 10 groups) and spoke to CMs to find out that March is really busy with TX spring break and cheerleading competitions (there is one this weekend.) I know my nephew is on spring break from AZ this week also and my other niece next week.

disneegrl4eva - Yeah, I agree that Fridays have become more like the start of the weekend. And I didn't know that Disney was doing the play at kid's price. That makes sense as to more crowds. Plus I noticed that there was a huge line at the ticket booth at around 5pm, which I thought was kind of strange. Do they offer a discount if you go to DL after a certain time?

spazzyjazzy - It's funny you say that because that's exactly what DH & I were thinking. We said that a huge majority of the people there were probably AP holders just like us.

bumbershoot & azgal81 - I realize that different areas have different Spring Break vacations dates, but I just figured Spring Break would occur in the Spring. That's what would make sense to me. Plus I went by DL's AP "Select" blockout dates since they have more days blocked, but they were all clear yesterday.

Sasha

Mrs. Beast - we must've been posting at the same time. Yes, I wondered if they had a lot of cheerleading competitions because I know my DD's cheerleading club had a competition there last week. Plus I edited my original post to add that when I called to see if there was availability in the DL Hotel, the CM told me that all 3 hotels were completely sold out. It made me wonder if there was a huge convention or else lots of competitions going on.

Sasha :)

We just got back yesterday and the crowds were not bad during the week M-TH, but TH evening they really started to pick up and I saw quite a few tour groups and large amounts of college age kids running to get into the park. I would say that right now spring break is starting to ramp up.

Plus the weather was wonderful. With everyone having such icky weather lately it was a nice escape.

We just got back yesterday and the crowds were not bad during the week M-TH, but TH evening they really started to pick up and I saw quite a few tour groups and large amounts of college age kids running to get into the park. I would say that right now spring break is starting to ramp up.

Plus the weather was wonderful. With everyone having such icky weather lately it was a nice escape.

So funny that you say that, I guess it just depends on perspective because a friend of mine got back from going M, T, and W, the same days you were there and she said it was really crowded those days!!!

We tend to go really really off season usually though, so that may be why it seemed crowded to her. Just funny to hear people say two completley opposite things about the same days!! :lmao:

Andrea

correction, Sunday has been EVEN more busier than Sat for some unknown reason. im shocked to be honest.

correction, Sunday has been EVEN more busier than Sat for some unknown reason. im shocked to be honest.

We got there last Sunday and it was nuts, granted there was a Cheer Competition going on, but after that Mon-Tues was fine.

We got there last Sunday and it was nuts, granted there was a Cheer Competition going on, but after that Mon-Tues was fine.

yeah, i know. But that crowded the Hollywood backlot to hell. I was there ^_^ doing Churro cart there. Lots of cute girls too!

I left Thursday and noticed that there was a HUGE student group that was a staying at the Disneyland hotel, and there was also a convention or two going on.

yeah, i know. But that crowded the Hollywood backlot to hell. I was there ^_^ doing Churro cart there. Lots of cute girls too!

Me and ILoveStitch probably walked right by you then. I was wearing a pirates jersey, not that it'd be anything to remember since there were SO many people back there.

My bf and I went to DTD last night and it was a madhouse! :confused: Didn't like the crowds at all....we were shoved and pushed by people who weren't looking straight while walking and some of them had double strollers. :headache: The worst was when 4 people cut in front of us in line for the tram. I boarded first and my bf was behind me but 4 people pushed him aside and went on. They weren't even in line. They just cut in front of us. Horrible! :sad2:

It felt like summer time!:mad:

My bf and I went to DTD last night and it was a madhouse! :confused: Didn't like the crowds at all....we were shoved and pushed by people who weren't looking straight while walking and some of them had double strollers. :headache: The worst was when 4 people cut in front of us in line for the tram. I boarded first and my bf was behind me but 4 people pushed him aside and went on. They weren't even in line. They just cut in front of us. Horrible! :sad2:

It felt like summer time!:mad:

That is my biggest pet peeve!!!! That happened to me on our last trip. My sister had DS8 and I had my DS6. This not soo polite family cut us off and my little one and I had to squeeze in the row behind them with a family :crowded: ... I was a little miffed at the dad in our row. He didn't budge one inch to help us out, so my little one rode on my lap. I soo wanted to chew them out, but it would do no good, they didn't care.:mad:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter