Why I don't want to stay in a Value Resort!!!

I've stayed at the POP and at POR. The values are not like a Super 8 at all. Pop was bold and colorful but was also very resort-y. The rooms were clean and nice, the pools were also great to hang out at. We spent several afternoons and a whole day at the resort and were not bored. I stayed at POR last week and think it is great, too. Pop is more in your face with the theme but still provides the Disney service you are used to. Also, $1300 is a big chunk of savings. With that much money saved you could do a lot of extra things at Disney or use it for something nice at home.
However, all that being said, if you are set against values, then you probably won't enjoy them because you have already decided that you won't like them.

I was spoiled and my family have started our stays in disney in the deluxe resorts. So when I stayed in Pop with a friend I went with an open mind. The big huge decor is cute, but it doesn't have the same feel as the deluxe resorts, the deluxes have alot less cheeseiness to the decor without having any less disney magic. The room we got was very far from the everything pop and bus area, another disadvantage because the value resorts are so vast.
Don't get me wrong, the resort was accommodating, I liked the big fun decor, but during my stay I missed the amenities that come with the deluxe, and for me it's worth paying for.
An elevator ride down for coffee instead of a ten minute walk.
The deluxe resorts usually has one park that is closeby.
The pools in deluxe resorts are way nicer. No bringing your towel with you to the pool.
Variety of food and restaurants at deluxe resorts.
The ambiance is better.
You pay for what you can afford, but for me it was worth paying extra. But when I hear people say that it's just as good to stay at a value as it is a deluxe, I say they are kidding themselves lol. :rotfl: I'm happy that disney has so much to offer and when I couldn't afford my deluxe resort, there was something that I could :yay:

Fortunately for us Disney fans, WDW offers resorts that appeal to different budgets and expected ammenities. It doesn't matter really where you stay as long as you are happy with your choice. As metioned by a PP there is no discernable indication on your KTTW card and all guests are afforded the same courtesies in the parks, resturants etc. Thankfully the one thing that all Disney resorts have in common is top notch customer service. No matter where you stay you can always count on being treated right. Additionally, all resorts are always clean, comfortable and well maintained. I'm sure Walt would have it no other way.

You pay for what you can afford, but for me it was worth paying extra. But when I hear people say that it's just as good to stay at a value as it is a deluxe, I say they are kidding themselves lol. :rotfl: I'm happy that disney has so much to offer and when I couldn't afford my deluxe resort, there was something that I could :yay:

See, I think this is what people have a problem with. No one has said that it's "just as good". They've said what they personally prefer. Some people don't like the deluxes. I don't, I prefer mods. I wouldn't stay at a deluxe regardless of my budget (except maybe the GF, just once). Implying that because someone chooses to stay at a value that they obviously can't afford a deluxe is a judgment. There's nothing wrong with saying that you prefer to stay in a deluxe because of what they have to offer, but when you make implications as to why others don't share your preference it's just kind of offensive.

As a child we could not even afford to go to any overnight vacation, I would have given anything to go to disney and stay at a value. Now as an adult I am able to stay at a deluxe because I just like them more and their amenities. Just a little perspective.

I have always been a firm believer in not putting to much importance on the resort because after all you're not in the room much, that is until our last trip. We had a less than magical start at All Star Sports but were upgraded to a 1 bedroom suite at Kidani Village, where we spent the next 5 nights. I have now decided that the resort really does have the power to make or break your whole vacation experience. While I would never ever stay at one of the All Stars again, we have stayed at Pop numerous times and would not hesitate to go there again if that's all our budget allows. The AoA resort will be brand new and that is worth alot right there. Even at some of the deluxes and moderates you run the risk of getting a dingey old room. I dont know, $1300 is a lot of money and would make for some really great shopping experiences and buy tons of Dole Whip floats!

I was spoiled and my family have started our stays in disney in the deluxe resorts. So when I stayed in Pop with a friend I went with an open mind. The big huge decor is cute, but it doesn't have the same feel as the deluxe resorts, the deluxes have alot less cheeseiness to the decor without having any less disney magic. The room we got was very far from the everything pop and bus area, another disadvantage because the value resorts are so vast.
Don't get me wrong, the resort was accommodating, I liked the big fun decor, but during my stay I missed the amenities that come with the deluxe, and for me it's worth paying for.
An elevator ride down for coffee instead of a ten minute walk.
The deluxe resorts usually has one park that is closeby.
The pools in deluxe resorts are way nicer. No bringing your towel with you to the pool.
Variety of food and restaurants at deluxe resorts.
The ambiance is better.

See, here's the thing. I don't eat table service at my resort, unless it's a special thing. Perhaps I'll eat at Flying Fish at BW, but I don't eat there any more often when I'm actually staying there. I prefer the food courts for quick meals. I don't use hot tubs. I still bring my own beach towel with me to the pool. There are many reasons I choose a value over a deluxe...it's all about what kind of trip I want to have that particular time. Sometimes Pop is perfect, sometimes only BWV will fit the bill. And that's why we bought DVC..huge money saver since my dh really doesn't like the values. He likes to walk to a park vs a bus. So, he doesn't stay at POP, but I sure as heck do. Why? Because I like it there.
No one else HAS to stay at a value. But, in all seriousness??? Why try to tell people they are kidding themselves?? Maybe they like the value resorts. Maybe they don't care for the stuffier feel of the deluxes.
Don't much care. I figure...live and let live..wherever!!!

Have been lurking instead of posting, except once, and it really is hilarious really - there is as much discrimination from those that prefer values (for whatever reason) as there supposedly is from those that prefer deluxe (for whatever reason). Just the "pot calling the kettle black" back and forth. Come on folks, enjoy whichever hotel you want and don't worry about what others think. We all have differing opinions and always will. We, at this point in life, can stay where ever we want (retired empty nesters) but no one that knows us would ever call us snobs - that would be the last thing we portray, and it's obvious to anyone. We'll stay wherever we like and could care less the opinions of others - have only stayed deluxe once since '72 (our first trip) and it was with our dd at Boardwalk because she has DVC there, even though it was very nice, we still prefer our MH. So stay where you enjoy and don't give a patooty what anyone says or thinks. We usually visit and eat at a lot of the resorts while we are there and NO ONE knows if we are staying there or not - big deal - could care less :confused3 Opinions are what this is usually all about, and that is what is happening here, and I say that's great - to each his/her own. Enjoy your trips! :woohoo: What's funny is, we overheard a young girl (12ish) say on their way to Hoop -de-doo say to her parents, "You mean we have to eat at a campground?" You can see what she's being taught by her parents. What we could have said (of course, didn't - we still laugh about it) was that there are some MH's at Fort Wilderness that probably were just as nice or nicer than her home was and cost as much. We need to be careful what attitudes/entitlements about life we teach our children.

I picked AoA for my children. I travel a lot for work and I stay at some pretty fabulous hotels. I love luxury, and when travel is for me or me and the hubby, I'd choose the deluxe -- no question. That said, the deluxe hotels seem very boring to my kids. We're going to Disney for them, not so much for us. When they saw the pictures of the family suites, they went nuts for them. They are fighting amongst themselves over who gets to sleep on the table bed first. The prices were not part of the decision making whatsoever.

I picked AoA for my children. I travel a lot for work and I stay at some pretty fabulous hotels. I love luxury, and when travel is for me or me and the hubby, I'd choose the deluxe -- no question. That said, the deluxe hotels seem very boring to my kids. We're going to Disney for them, not so much for us. When they saw the pictures of the family suites, they went nuts for them. They are fighting amongst themselves over who gets to sleep on the table bed first. The prices were not part of the decision making whatsoever.

I have to agree with you. We stayed at OKW and the pool was nice (villa was excellent) but the theme was completely lost on the younger kids.

This year we weren't going to Disney but got a pin code - using it on POP. I know it will be over the top and the younger ones will love it. Deluxe and moderates are great for the grown-ups and older kids. But let's be honest, the little ones will have a great time at the values and will always remember the 30 foot hot wheels (or sleeping on the table bed).

Agree with this TOTALLY! Our Disney vacations right now are more for our teens so Pop it is! I gave them the choice last year and again this year. They chose Pop. Hubby and I stayed at the GF for our honeymoon. HATED it! We stayed at CBR and that was okay. The Poly was great but my girls really prefer their own room. We gave them a choice this year of doing 2 rooms at POR in the princess rooms. They wanted to go back to Pop. They love the food court, the pools, the loud in your face kind of stuff that most teens like. I liked that I could sit outside and have a drink while people watching at the bar. We do one adult only trip a year and one family trip and hubby and I just got back from a nice relaxing trip to Mexico without the kids, so our girls make the choice where we stay when we go to Disney. Different strokes for different folks!

You know this thread points out to me the problem with the internet. Statements can be taken out of context because there's nothing else to go off of.

I do sometimes feel like there are some posters who in the process of proclaiming their preferance for a certain resort level, don't realize they are coming off as snobby or with a chip on their shoulder. For sure, it happens both ways. Although I do think some of us feel the need to defend their value and moderate stays/preferances because of the comments made on here by some posters who for some reason feel the need to point out how cheesy and cheap the values are. That sort of thing (and not even talking about this thread as much as other ones I have seen on here throughout the last eight years of being on this board) will make one feel like they do have to defend themself.

In the end, if somebody doesn't want to stay at a value, they shouldn't. But I think they should also refrain from making negative statements about the values if they haven't stayed there. But that's just me.

Bottom line, I have seen people at values who no doubt could afford to stay anywhere they wanted. I have seen people with upcoming stays at deluxes post on the budget board something about their finances that seems completely contradictory to staying in a deluxe. Some people stay where they afford, some people stay where they like and some people stay where they want but can't actually afford.

I am glad to see that I am not the only one that feels values are not in a Super 8 class!

I am glad the OP chose CSR, to me that seems like a very wise compromise.

OP here. When I stated that values look like super 8's, I said it because that is what they look like to me. The buildings are just square and concrete, they just don't look pretty to me. Maybe I am looking at the wrong pictures of values, but from the pictures I have seen, they just look like concrete buildings with a nice pool. Our last 2 stays were at POR and the resort is "beautiful". It has a very relaxing feeling and the buildings there are pretty and the grounds are gorgeous. I posted because I would love to stay at AOA and save $1300. Who wouldn't want to save that amount of money? I just don't know if AOA is going to have the same look as the other values I have seen on the disney website. There are only drawings on the disney website.

OP here. When I stated that values look like super 8's, I said it because that is what they look like to me. The buildings are just square and concrete, they just don't look pretty to me. Maybe I am looking at the wrong pictures of values, but from the pictures I have seen, they just look like concrete buildings with a nice pool. Our last 2 stays were at POR and the resort is "beautiful". It has a very relaxing feeling and the buildings there are pretty and the grounds are gorgeous. I posted because I would love to stay at AOA and save $1300. Who wouldn't want to save that amount of money? I just don't know if AOA is going to have the same look as the other values I have seen on the disney website. There are only drawings on the disney website.

Based on the pics I have seen, AoA is going to be similar to POP with huge icons and those same concrete walls.

The tone of some people's posts make me LOL. I'm just going to start by saying that.

I've stayed at CBR, DYC and the Pop. I can afford to stay anywhere I want. I'm staying at the pop next week. Why would I demean myself to this "super 8" you might ask? Um, because it's really nice. Because my 8 year old daughter loves the decor, and probably wouldn't care much for luxuriating in the nautical themed wall paper on the way to breakfast. And after all, these vacays are about HER. I really can't picture any kid preferring a delux to one of the over the top crazy values. Also, we sleep and shower in the hotel. That's it. I go to do DISNEY not to do "the hotel".

Rant off.

I'm sorry but the snobbery in some of these posts is way tackier than the decor at the value resorts. To the OP, dot stay at a value. Your going to find fault and that's no way to spend your vacation. Just do what you know you like.

Based on the pics I have seen, AoA is going to be similar to POP with huge icons and those same concrete walls.

Only the little Mermaid section looks like that, though. The other buildings look completely different from the rest.

I don't think the rest of the Values look that different from the Mods. The biggest concrete wall is at the CR :)

I really don't think you need to defend yourself. They're a lot of people who don't like the values. This topic has been hashed out many times on these boards, and people always get offended. I guess were all snobs.:snooty:So be it. Welcome to the snob club. I think you made a great choice. I am a Deluxe girl, but I love CSR. Have a great vacation.:goodvibes

I really don't think you need to defend yourself. They're a lot of people who don't like the values. This topic has been hashed out many times on these boards, and people always get offended. I guess were all snobs.:snooty:So be it. Welcome to the snob club. I think you made a great choice. I am a Deluxe girl, but I love CSR. Have a great vacation.:goodvibes

Snob club *HIGH FIVE* :cheer2:

Have been lurking instead of posting, except once, and it really is hilarious really - there is as much discrimination from those that prefer values (for whatever reason) as there supposedly is from those that prefer deluxe (for whatever reason). Just the "pot calling the kettle black" back and forth. Come on folks, enjoy whichever hotel you want and don't worry about what others think. We all have differing opinions and always will. We, at this point in life, can stay where ever we want (retired empty nesters) but no one that knows us would ever call us snobs - that would be the last thing we portray, and it's obvious to anyone. We'll stay wherever we like and could care less the opinions of others - have only stayed deluxe once since '72 (our first trip) and it was with our dd at Boardwalk because she has DVC there, even though it was very nice, we still prefer our MH. So stay where you enjoy and don't give a patooty what anyone says or thinks. We usually visit and eat at a lot of the resorts while we are there and NO ONE knows if we are staying there or not - big deal - could care less :confused3 Opinions are what this is usually all about, and that is what is happening here, and I say that's great - to each his/her own. Enjoy your trips! :woohoo: What's funny is, we overheard a young girl (12ish) say on their way to Hoop -de-doo say to her parents, "You mean we have to eat at a campground?" You can see what she's being taught by her parents. What we could have said (of course, didn't - we still laugh about it) was that there are some MH's at Fort Wilderness that probably were just as nice or nicer than her home was and cost as much. We need to be careful what attitudes/entitlements about life we teach our children.

:thumbsup2 Agreed! We have stayed POP and GF,BWV,and YC, we loved pop but my heart belongs to the GF:love:princess:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter