Who regularly shares meals

I have to admit to not reading this entire thread but felt compelled to mention that my 10-year old DD and I share almost every time we go out to eat. We discovered that by doing this we have room for appetizers and dessert as well as our entree, normally we don't have room for the extras. I'm pretty lucky in that her eating habits are a bit adventurous and she will try just about anything. She recently discovered crab cakes and swears she has dreams about them. I think it's a case of personal preference and by no means should anyone be ridiculed for the way they choose to eat, DDP or not!!

We always share, any and every part of the meal. Especially in the last few years, DH and I have realized that we usually don't need a full entree. We get too full and then leave part of it on the plate, so we have been consistently sharing entrees at all our local restaurants for a couple years. And, of course, with two children we let them eat anything they want from our plate. It's a very good way to get them to try new foods. The still have their own meal but can try ours if they want.

I will be very disappointed if I cannot share entrees while on the DDP. I know that my DD9 will not eat the chicken nuggets at WDW. She will eat the chicken strips but it seems like lots of places, especially CS, are switching over to nuggets. I planned to share my meals with her. She much prefers steaks and baked potatoes.

I have noticed in the last few months that many of our local restaurants have started to downsize the portion sizes. It may turn out that DH and I no longer share if that continues. I don't mind paying for all the meals, but I don't want to gorge myself on something just to clean my plate and I don't like wasting it either.

Didn't the CDC just come out with an announcement encouraging restaurants to decrease portion sizes so they fall in line with healthy recommendations? If that happened, there wouldn't be anymore sharing because people would only get what they need for one meal and not enough for two or more.

We always/very often share when the meal supports it. OBviously buffets etc arent going to happen. Appetizers we order one to the table deserts one or 2 but usually dont even order when we dine we wait till later and then usually end up passing on it all together.

Just this past friday night we took my dd to a very upscale restaurant. We had one salad, 2 entrees no desert. THe plates were small enough that we did get some small ice creams later. And she did eat a good portion of both of our meats.

The friday before that hubbie and I went out and shared a turf and surf platter that the waiter swore wasnt worth sharing we were going to add a side but i didnt like anything they had. We had a very small appetizer (4 small cheeze sticks) and we were both full. No desert.

I find that we share when we travel more than at home. At home, I take home at least half my meal for lunch the next day so getting my own entree is the way to go ;) But when traveling, I hate to waste food so we split something or I just get an appetizer and he gets a full entree. That way we consume most of the food on the table since we can't take it with us.

Since we are traveling when we visit WDW, we do share quite a bit there. I am really watching my portion size and find that I am not hungry if I just eat half the entree (or less!).

Aimeedyan said:
I find that we share when we travel more than at home. At home, I take home at least half my meal for lunch the next day so getting my own entree is the way to go ;) But when traveling, I hate to waste food so we split something or I just get an appetizer and he gets a full entree. That way we consume most of the food on the table since we can't take it with us.

Since we are traveling when we visit WDW, we do share quite a bit there. I am really watching my portion size and find that I am not hungry if I just eat half the entree (or less!).

That's a good point that I hadn't thought of with the OP. Perhaps the fact that you are traveling and probably will not take leftovers adds some valid reasons to share when you may not normally do that.

Mom of Sleepy said:
Oh, where is the Tag Fairy when you need her!! :lmao: :lmao:

Please! My tag now is "the gas is where I save the most" Gas and pee in one tag. People will start to talk!

We often share appetizers, the kids always get their own desserts, DH and I may share a dessert or skip it altogether. We never share entrees--maybe a bite to taste what the other is having, but never split an entree. Most of the time I wouldn't eat what DH orders lets just say he's abit adventurous--or that I will not eat things that still have tentacles on them--whatever your perspective! DS will always when given the choice have beef in some form, and DD can bend in so many directions--she can be adventurous or just want chicken strips--she is by far teh most versitile but if she had to share she'd be less than cordial. On DDP we found that we could still share apps--a few salads, one "bad" item and we awere all good to go. Desserts are similiar DS doesn't like anything too rich and prefers fruity things, DD and I love chocolate and rick flavors and DH could go either way but really likes things like key lime pie, etc. I don't think there is one dessert we could all agree on. On the DDP we can have a bit mroe than we usually do, but we're on vacation, it's not like we eat that way every day.

Hi Patsal, well said !! :thumbsup2

My family ofter share but NEVER split our entree's. That's how we get to sample different food in one restaurant (It's not like our stomach can accommodate more than one main dish in one sitting :) )

DD-15 and I have been sharing meals for as long as I can remember. She never liked traditional kids meals.

We always share when we go to Disney. It's too hot, the portions are big and I can't really take leftovers home.

At home, we sometimes share. But at least I can take my leftovers with me when I'm at home.

DH doesn't share, he has a big appetite.

Ditto with taking leftovers home. We do that when we eat out here at home. But in WDW, we won't be able to lug around leftovers, so it would be better to share. Although I'm hoping to at least be able to take dessert with us to eat later--I don't know if that's doable.

DD8 and I have about the combined appetite (and weight) of an average adult. She prefers adult food to kids menu fare. We often share meals at a restaurant. DH and I, not so much.

But, if DD wants something off of the kids' menu and we find an appetizer and entree and dessert we want to share, we'll do that. Other times, we'll pick two entrees we both like and share them. (I usually don't finish, but DH doesn't mind having some extra most days!!) It's funny, between two drinks and extras, we don't save any/much money by sharing, but we order what and the way we like. I guess an appetizer and a dessert about balance out an entree.

Just order an entree and cut it in half? I wouldn't mind, but I can't see DH going for that. Luckily, I've got a few years sharing with my DD!

Personally, the whole "sharing" thing is a matter of personal preference! Some people just have bigger appetites than others. (although I agree with many who have noted that portion sizes are out of control!)

I like to eat a variety of food. I would rather have part of an appetizer or a bowl of soup, half of an entree and share a dessert than eat a whole entree. I get tired of eating the same thing about 2/3 of the way through the meal. Plus, I am from that "don't waste" generation...I would feel bad eating only 1/2 my dinner and then ordering dessert! When at home, it is easy enough to bring leftovers home, but on vacation it is nearly impossible.

We share a lot at WDW...my hubby usually gets his own meal, my DS12 and I share or he gets his own and I share with my DS10. And I HAVE to get dessert! Even if it is just a few bites of my kids!

We've never done the dining plan, but it seems like a lot of food. We would probably try it, though...we seemed to spend nearly that on food each day anyway. Hoping for free dining play next Sept.....

bicker said:
It's actually the lack of waste that is the problem. People had it beat into them, oftem by their mothers :), that leaving food behind on their plate was a bad thing. One of the first things obesity experts teach their patients is that those mothers were wrong[/U

While I do agree with you about "cleaning your plate" being a huge food issue, I still have to stick by my statement that there is a huge amount of food waste in this country. If serving sizes were smaller then we wouldn't be throwing out the 8 oz of steak that should be left from a 12 oz steak.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter