• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Who manufactured the cabins at the Fort?

ticktock

<font color=darkorchid>I'm more of a Georgian girl
My dad loves the cabins and wants to have one built for him now that he's retired:rotfl:. Anybody know who makes them? Aren't they just a mobile home with wood siding or are they modular homes?

The original "cabins" were made by Fleetwood. I don't know who manufactured the current ones, but any mobile home manufacturer will custom build whatever you want and side it however you want.

I think your dad is on to something.

The cabins at Fort Wilderness are not just trailers with wood siding. They have high ceilings, and have a great lay-out.

I believe there must be a law that requires manufactured homes to have information posted in them relating to the details of the construction.

If you open the hall closet in any of the cabins at the Fort, you will see one of these certificates:

FW595102009201.jpg

FW595102009203.jpg

This tells us that the cabins were manufactured by Liberty Homes in Ocala, Florida.

I remember looking into this once, and not being able to find anything that was even very close to the Fort Wilderness cabins. I am sure that a lot of folks would be interested to hear if you can buy an identical model, and if so, how much it would cost.

It would be neat to buy an inexpensive piece of property somewhere out in the wilderness, and put one of these cabins on it.

Let us know if you find out anything more about this.

TCD

Talk about resurrecting an old thread !
I have just spent the entire Sunday Morning looking online searching for a clue and more info about the DVC Cabins .
Was surprised when this popped up .

For some reason the link is not working but I recommend watching this on YouTube
Kerry Tarnow
Top 10 Prefab Homes of 2024 especially interesting mention of the Corten corrugated siding to help resist wildfires .

At first, I thought those drawings were of the tree houses at SSR. They are round'ish and have a smaller roundish deck off the main building.

From Google Earth.

1707103540760.png

But the smaller round attachmants are definitely a deck and not a bedroom, like in the drawing. It definitely could have been from the same company or even an early model for SSR.

j

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter