Who Is Going Camping On Labor Day Weekend 2016 and Where?

That site looks great, Ed! Wish we were gonna be there...BEHIND the big storm.

That is a great site Ed! I love the little patio. Please have a campfire for me, since my trip is definitely getting canceled.

UPDATE- the storm will not affect my area until Sunday so we compromised a bit. We did cancel the overnight trip, but we are still kayaking on Saturday. The company we are using to transport us to/from the river does day trips so we will be paddling 8 miles on Saturday. No camping, sadly, but still spending the day out in nature.

Just for stuff and giggles I called some of the CG's here on the Delmarva Pennisula this mourning and all had sites available. So I called our friends Snuggle Bunny and The Cougar to say lets go but no response yet.

BamaEd, please tell me about your set up...what equipment do you have in order to view your games? I think dh would really enjoy all of your "man gadgets".

Well, it looks like we could have done our camping trip safely, but oh well. It was such a hard decision to make considering how much the forecast was changing coupled with the fact that if conditions did get bad we could not get out of there quickly.

But we did have a great time. So here is a pic of our day on the river. That is my hubby in the distance.

kayaking209-3.jpg

BamaEd, please tell me about your set up...what equipment do you have in order to view your games? I think dh would really enjoy all of your "man gadgets".

mtnminnie,

Up until earlier this year, I had U-verse tv service at home. We tailgate to the Bama games and I have to load my stuff on a push cart and move it about 4 blocks from the car to our spot. So size and portability is important for a satellite solution when tailgating. My tailgating satellite solution is also my camping solution.

Last year I used a King Tailgater HD antenna (the newer one with the gray dome) coupled with a VP211 receiver and Dish Network's "pay by the month" service (featured on www.dishformyrv.com). It was about $75 a month in the fall for service (I don't usually take the satellite with me in the spring/summer - only during football season or special exceptions). It worked fine but being HD and Dish having 3 satellite to auto-locate (110-119-129W), it requires a very clear, bigger chunk of the sky where the satellites are (which is not always possible).

At home this year for other reasons I moved over to Directv service and so paying extra for Dish Network didn't make sense. My tv is a simple 24" Vizio HD (smaller size is portable). The satellite dish is a basic round Standard Definition (SD) dish called the Winegard MP-1. I like it for two reasons. First, being SD it is a little bit more tolerant of a less-than-perfect view of the satellite (Directv has their SD channels on only one satellite, the 101W (meaning a smaller chunk of sky), and not spread over several like Dish). Second, SD dishes are relatively simple to aim and pick up the satellite signal. It folds up pretty compact and sturdy and is about the size of a hatbox so that helps its portability. No tripod or giant dish to wrestle with.

When I got the Directv service at the house, I made sure one of the receivers I got in the package was one that would be portable and offer SD service when tailgating/camping and HD service at home. So I got the H24 receiver (not the DVR model). The picture it produces with an SD dish is really quite good. I do everything to help that by setting it to produce a 480p signal (480 is all an SD dish will give you) but the "p" choice, rather than the "i" choice of a 480i option, and the "p"rogressive scan looks great. I also use an HDMI cable between the receiver and the tv because other options (coax, RCA, S-video) will NOT support HD signals so I am using the best possible type of cable (HDMI) and best possible signal choice (480p). My signal isn't HD but it's the next best thing - or put another way, it's the best SD signal you can get which is pretty damn good.

I still have the King Tailgater HD antenna and VP211 receiver for Dish Network if someone wants a deal on the combo - they work fine. (if you have Dish Network at home you don't have to pay extra for the monthly service like I did - just add the VP211 to your current account). But once I got Directv at home, it made sense to go in a different direction.

Hope this all made sense.

Bama Ed

Last edited:
thanks! I will have to research all of that and see what we can come up with. It is a pretty sweet set up though.

Ed.

I just upgraded my SD DirecTV antenna/receiver to an HD antenna and I take my DVR and other receivers from the house. Used it this weekend. I discovered my old signal strength meter doesn't work with the SWiM antennas, but I could still get it dialed in using the signal strength on the TV. I'll be ordering a new signal meter tomorrow. The picture is so much better. A 24 in TV is probably the biggest you can go on an SD signal and have it look good.

MtnMinnie- As ED said, the HD antennas are much more sensitive to alignment. My old SD antenna didn't have to be very level and as long as it was close, I'd have a decent signal. My new antenna needed to be right on and I still had a weak signal on one of the three satellites.

@tiggerdad- Look what I found in a little shop in Hannibal this weekend. $18.95! Beats the $80 one I saw in Gatlinburg a few weeks ago. I may be texting you on some finer points of milk can prep.

20160905_185851_zpszfemdscy.jpg~original

j

Ed.

I just upgraded my SD DirecTV antenna/receiver to an HD antenna and I take my DVR and other receivers from the house. Used it this weekend. I discovered my old signal strength meter doesn't work with the SWiM antennas, but I could still get it dialed in using the signal strength on the TV. I'll be ordering a new signal meter tomorrow. The picture is so much better. A 24 in TV is probably the biggest you can go on an SD signal and have it look good.

MtnMinnie- As ED said, the HD antennas are much more sensitive to alignment. My old SD antenna didn't have to be very level and as long as it was close, I'd have a decent signal. My new antenna needed to be right on and I still had a weak signal on one of the three satellites.

@tiggerdad- Look what I found in a little shop in Hannibal this weekend. $18.95! Beats the $80 one I saw in Gatlinburg a few weeks ago. I may be texting you on some finer points of milk can prep.

20160905_185851_zpszfemdscy.jpg~original

j

Be glad to help. Looks like some bondo on it but I found a good sanding bit on a drill or air sander works great.

On both the cans I did I first cleaned them by spraying the whole thing down in muriatic acid (concrete cleaning acid). Be careful with that stuff though. I found it got 90% of the rust off. I used about a gallon per can.

Last edited:
Weather held off great for the holiday camping trip! After checking out of campground, drove to Wahlburger's (any New Kids on the Block people will appreciate that...i.e.: my wife) for lunch....after that...drive up into Boston and walk around Fenway Park (son wanted to see it). Also saw where the Boston Bruins/Celtics played as well as Gillette Stadium (parked trailer in lot near the Bass Pro Shop there while we drove wife's car into Boston). Good day after check out. The campground was great! Looking forward to my next visit to Normandy Farms!

Weather held off great for the holiday camping trip! After checking out of campground, drove to Wahlburger's (any New Kids on the Block people will appreciate that...i.e.: my wife) for lunch....after that...drive up into Boston and walk around Fenway Park (son wanted to see it). Also saw where the Boston Bruins/Celtics played as well as Gillette Stadium (parked trailer in lot near the Bass Pro Shop there while we drove wife's car into Boston). Good day after check out. The campground was great! Looking forward to my next visit to Normandy Farms!

Jim, good find on the milk can.

Jimmy, far be it from me to talk baseball smack to your son but...

The BoSox are fighting for a Wildcard spot (one game in or out) and my Cleveland Indians are fighting for home town advantage in the playoffs. Chief Wahoo is ready to push Tribe deep into the postseason.

2003249901.icon

Let's see where it all shakes out in early October.

cleveland-indians14.jpg

Bama Ed

PS - mtnminnie, what Teamubr says is absolutely true. I'm sure he got the HD Directv dish because his 5th wheel trailer is bigger than my house and he has plenty of room to haul it and the tripod it must mount on. His truck is big and strong and gleaming. :worship: His trailer must have several LARGE tv's that benefit from the HD signal (I've only seen his trailer from the outside while he made me detail it [he stood over me and pointed out when I missed a spot]). Again I have a dual use for my setup which include being able to park my hauling vehicle in one place and then move the equipment several blocks to another spot. Your solution will depend on your needs and your needs might be different than mine.

His Highness TeamUbr is certainly all knowing and omnipotent over us lowly popup owners. His tech knowledge far surpasses mine and we are grateful for the crumbs he drops down to us lowly peasants. We are not permitted to look him directly in the eye but he inspires me in my humdrum life to be more like him and I strive to be.

Last edited:
I'm sure he got the HD Directv dish because his 5th wheel trailer is bigger than my house and he has plenty of room to haul it and the tripod it must mount on.
Nah. I've seen pics of your house. I actually bought it because the channel guide was blurry. And the HD dish setup was only $140. New bifocals are $400. :-)

Again I have a dual use for my setup which include being able to park my hauling vehicle in one place and then move the equipment several blocks to another spot.
If I had to carry my stuff 4 blocks, I'd be using the same setup you do. That little suitcase dish is pretty neat.

His Highness TeamUbr is certainly all knowing and omnipotent over us lowly popup owners.
HEY! I started out renting a popup. (Actually started carrying everything I needed on my back and still wouldn't mind that) DW is the one that insists on "all the comforts of home... including the home."

Be glad to help
Jim, good find on the milk can.

Jimmy, far be it from me to talk baseball smack to your son but...

The BoSox are fighting for a Wildcard spot (one game in or out) and my Cleveland Indians are fighting for home town advantage in the playoffs. Chief Wahoo is ready to push Tribe deep into the postseason.

2003249901.icon

Let's see where it all shakes out in early October.

cleveland-indians14.jpg

Bama Ed

PS - mtnminnie, what Teamubr says is absolutely true. I'm sure he got the HD Directv dish because his 5th wheel trailer is bigger than my house and he has plenty of room to haul it and the tripod it must mount on. His truck is big and strong and gleaming. :worship: His trailer must have several LARGE tv's that benefit from the HD signal (I've only seen his trailer from the outside while he made me detail it [he stood over me and pointed out when I missed a spot]). Again I have a dual use for my setup which include being able to park my hauling vehicle in one place and then move the equipment several blocks to another spot. Your solution will depend on your needs and your needs might be different than mine.

His Highness TeamUbr is certainly all knowing and omnipotent over us lowly popup owners. His tech knowledge far surpasses mine and we are grateful for the crumbs he drops down to us lowly peasants. We are not permitted to look him directly in the eye but he inspires me in my humdrum life to be more like him and I strive to be.

You referring to Jim or The Rusty Scupper? I was thinking maybe you had them confused. I missed out on waxing his trailer at GSP, however I did bring him an adult beverage on his arrival and maybe that is why I got off easy.

P.S.
His living room RV television is quite adequate. Even from the 25th row you can still see it clearly.

DW is the one that insists on "all the comforts of home... including the home."

:cool1: :love: I can relate to that, Teamubr. If Momma's happy, errybody's happy. :teeth:

You referring to Jim or The Rusty Scupper? I was thinking maybe you had them confused. I missed out on waxing his trailer at GSP, however I did bring him an adult beverage on his arrival and maybe that is why I got off easy.

P.S.
His living room RV television is quite adequate. Even from the 25th row you can still see it clearly.

You got off easy, tiggerdad. Unofficially Teamubr's living room tv is a 72-inch curved 4k unit powered off a nuclear reactor in the mid storage compartment. There are at least 4+ other 60-inch-or-larger screens in his rig which he keeps on high brightness like a home theater previewing Star Wars.

You missed me detailing his rig because he had sent you off to pick up some fresh Bubba Gump shrimp off the boat at Bon Secour then you had to peel and devein them. Randy was sent by his Ubr-ness to the FloraBama to buy His lottery tickets and play His lucky numbers. But Randy was late in returning because of the Miss FloraBama Memorial Day contest going on at the same time. Or something.

We all have a role to play in His greatness.

Last edited:
Unofficially Teamubr's living room tv is a 72-inch curved 4k unit powered off a nuclear reactor in the mid storage compartment.

Randy was late in returning because of the Miss FloraBama Memorial Day contest going on at the same time. Or something.
And now I know why Randy had such a big smile on his face when he returned.

So... Just to be clear. The Enterprise... I mean, my 5er, only has 3 TVs. I do have to take the one from my bedroom to hang outside. And it is only a 32 inch. (The 40 inch in the living room is too hard to get out the door. :D) See?

20160904_155412_001-800x450_zpsvphefvsj.jpg~original

j

After a lot of research we just bought a Winegard Pathway x2 and the Dish ViP 211z. It has the biggest reflector and can pick up 2 satellites (E&W) at the same time. It also can support 2 TVs. I found the best prices at Wal-Mart.com. What I saved we used to buy the tripod. We do already have Dish at home.

Man, I'm getting left behind on the television setups around here. I don't even crank up the roof antenna when I pull in.

Speaking of satellite setup, iIhate all of you missed @SouthAlabama5er at GSP setting up his satellite. That thing didn't want to cooperate and when he did get it set he threatened everyone to stay a minimum of 10 foot away from the dish.

When kids rode by on bikes he was staring them down to make sure they didn't get anywhere near it.

I hate all of you missed @SouthAlabama5er at GSP setting up his satellite. That thing didn't want to cooperate .
I saw some of his attempts. It took him a few days, didn't it? I do have to say that when I got the new dish tuned in this past weekend, I did tighten down the bolts. I never did that on my SD dish.

j

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter