Which would you choose..Fairmont or Hotel Del?

kak2836

Earning My Ears
My parents have given us some of their DVC points to use this summer. We have enough to either stay in San Francison at the Fairmont or San Diego at the Hotel Del Coronado. I was wondering what would be the better choice. Is one hotel nicer than the other? We want to go to both areas..so it's just a matter of making the better investment!
Thanks!!

In SF the Fairmont is right on the cable car line. This makes it easy to use the cable cars to get to a few different sites. Also with the right room the views are wonderful. It does have the old part, which is obvious not new. And the new tower, which is modern but not new.

I haven't stayed at the Del, while it's nice to wander around it's only near one thing, the beach it's on. It also has old and new parts so I suspect there is some disparity in the rooms there as well.

I am a So Cal girl, but wow, the Del is amazing. There are lots of nice or resonable places to stay in SF, and Coronado has options, but none as memorable as the Del!:dance3:

How do you use DVC points at these properties?

Anyway- two important details, what time of year is this trip? Is this adults only or kids too?

Comparing just the hotels and not the cities themselves-

The Del is beautiful. If you are going in the summer and want to swim and stuff I would lean toward the Del. If there are kids going I would lean toward the Del because of the pools and the beach that are right there and you can walk to some great ice cream shops and I think it is slightly more family friendly than the Fairmont. But there are lots of other nice San Diego hotels that you could get on your own for cheaper, and then you can just go visit the Del for a few hours and marvel at how pretty it is and walk along the beach for free (just park in town and walk over otherwise you will pay like $25 to park in their lot).

The Fairmont is beautiful and hotels in SF are expensive!!! So if you could get this for free that would be awesome. It is very romantic and elegant and you feel like you should be dressed up whenever you are there. The Tonga room is lots of fun (a tropical themed restaurant/bar area). Like dining in an elegant Tiki room!

SkiingFast is right about the variations in rooms at both resorts. I haven't stayed at either, but I have been to both for events and dined at both multiple times. These would be two totally different types of vacations so you would really have to think about which one you are in the mood for. Both would be great!

We stayed at the Hotel Del for our honeymoon, and it was amazing! the service, location, room were the best and I've stayed at some pretty nice hotels. Like the pp said though, it all depends on the kind of experience you are looking for. :)

I would say Hotel Del for sure. It's a great hotel. Great area. Much more relaxing than SF. It's got a great beach and its a short drive to the Gaslamp District of San Diego.

When are you going? If hanging by the pool or the beach is possible then hands down THE DEL:dance3:

Even if that might not be possible I would still go for the Del

If you want to go over to SD it isn't a long drive. If you don't have a car there are always cabs, plus there is a stop for the trolley tour about a block or 2 away from the Del which goes to Balboa Park, Old Town and the Gaslamp.

There are a good amount of restaurant nearby to eat (food at The Del isn't cheap;))

We loved our recent stay there :cloud9: and hope to get back sooner rather then later

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter