Which moderate resort?

It sounds like there are three generations of you, if you are only getting one room and having three sleeping surfaces is important to you - you might want to look at POR or CBR and request a murphy bed. Then you would have 2 queen beds and one murphy bed for your daughter (they are best for children). As others have said, they are all nice and everyone has their favorites. I would pick out which one appeals to you the most and go from there.

My favorite is CBR - I love the beachy vibe. I've always had good bus service, food is good, the main pool is amazing. It's my nephew & nieces' favorite.
I'm trying CSR for the first time this coming year. It looks very nice and I'm excited to try it.
I've stayed at POR many times when I was younger and then again in 2015. It's very pretty but I find the main pool to be too shady (I like sun). We also had a room issue that's turned me off to this resort.
I've never stayed at POFQ because I don't like the looks of it. I have been to visit it and eat at the food court, it does nothing for me so I'll likely never stay there.

I consider CBR my Disney home. I LOVE it there!! (So much that I ended up changing a reservation at the POLY back to CBR because being at Disney and not staying there...the thought made me sad.)

I've stayed at CSR - hated it, felt like the convention hotel I worked in (possibly because I got stuck in the Casitas section) and I didn't feel like the service was as good.

I've stayed at POR - not a fan. The mansions section felt like my stuffy, mean grandmother's house, and the bayou section just looks junky to me.

Have not - and will not - stay at POFQ as I had a horrible experience on a visit to New Orleans and purposely avoid anything that reminds me of that place.
That's high praise for CBR! Great! Good information!

It sounds like there are three generations of you, if you are only getting one room and having three sleeping surfaces is important to you - you might want to look at POR or CBR and request a murphy bed. Then you would have 2 queen beds and one murphy bed for your daughter (they are best for children). As others have said, they are all nice and everyone has their favorites. I would pick out which one appeals to you the most and go from there.

My favorite is CBR - I love the beachy vibe. I've always had good bus service, food is good, the main pool is amazing. It's my nephew & nieces' favorite.
I'm trying CSR for the first time this coming year. It looks very nice and I'm excited to try it.
I've stayed at POR many times when I was younger and then again in 2015. It's very pretty but I find the main pool to be too shady (I like sun). We also had a room issue that's turned me off to this resort.
I've never stayed at POFQ because I don't like the looks of it. I have been to visit it and eat at the food court, it does nothing for me so I'll likely never stay there.
The Murphy bed is a good suggestion! I like all the themes, that's why it us hard to decide, but I like hearing other's opinions! So far CCR has received high praise.

I would say POR. The pool is nice and you can also use the pool at POFQ if you want. The boat to Disney Springs is an added perk. At 9, the pool at POFQ would be a little boring. I think CBR would be good as well.

If you have a girl and are willing to pay a little extra, I would say POR Royal Room.
If you have a boy and are willing to pay a little extra, I would say CBR Pirate Room.

I know you won't spend too much time there (or at least in theory you won't) but they just make it a little more special.

I like CBR and POR and think both are good choices. I guess large is relative because the size of either never bothered me. The layout of CBR is a little wierd though with the front desk seperate from the rest of the resort.

If you are doing the dining plan, the POR boat is a great option for getting to DS for lots of dinner options. At CBR, I like that there is a door between the bedroom and the bathroom. That makes it easier to get ready without bothering your roommates.

Last edited:
The Mods are our "go to" resorts, we have stayed at all the Mods and truthfully like each one for different reasons. But I will say that POFQ has become our families favorite, love the brick streets and the theme very much. They also have a new kids splash area just for the smaller children that, IMO, is the best of all the Mods. POR is next, we prefer the mansions over the AB section because of the old south feel and they have elevators. We like the options at the PO resorts that are not available at the other Mods, especially the boat to DS, carriage ride, and family night entertainment with Yee Haa Bob. Also; no matter which resort you stay at POR or POFQ you are allowed to use all the amenities at both.
CBR; we are heading there for our 2nd trip in March, the least stayed at Mod for us, mainly because it took them so long to refurb and get queen beds:) If going swimming a BIG advantage, for a family with little one's, that CBR has over the other Mods is a zero entry area to their pool. I think the best themed pool area, especially if you like pirates. Cannot give you any more details since it has been years since we stayed there. I can tell you that we totally enjoyed our 1st stay there many years ago:)
CSR; Best pool slide and we like that the kids play area is located right by the pool. We like the location of the Cabanas but really like the feel and theme of Casitas. Not a fan of the Ranchero section. We like Cafe Rix's for their quick breakfast's to take back to our room, very fast. They do have a Spa and gym, we do not use them so not a plus for us. A point against CSR is that their the only Mod with a single sink:(
We really enjoyed walking around all the resorts and thought they were all wonderful looking, especially at night. I would checkout each resort DIS page, as well as allears and portorleans.org for more pics and info:) Have a great trip.

I have only stayed at CBR and POR. I prefer POR, but that does not mean that I did not enjoy CBR. I just love the atmosphere and theme of POR. I also liked that everything was in one central building - registration, store, restaurants and guest services rather than CBR where the registration and guest services are in one building and the restaurants and store in another. One plus of CBR, you can watch Illuminations from the courtyard behind Port Royale each evening! It will depend on your preferences.

I would say POR. The pool is nice and you can also use the pool at POFQ if you want. The boat to Disney Springs is an added perk. At 9, the pool at POFQ would be a little boring. I think CBR would be good as well.

If you have a girl and are willing to pay a little extra, I would say POR Royal Room.
If you have a boy and are willing to pay a little extra, I would say CBR Pirate Room.

I know you won't spend too much time there (or at least in theory you won't) but they just make it a little more special.
Have you eaten at the table service restaurants at either POR or CBR? WeRe they good?

The Mods are our "go to" resorts, we have stayed at all the Mods and truthfully like each one for different reasons. But I will say that POFQ has become our families favorite, love the brick streets and the theme very much. They also have a new kids splash area just for the smaller children that, IMO, is the best of all the Mods. POR is next, we prefer the mansions over the AB section because of the old south feel and they have elevators. We like the options at the PO resorts that are not available at the other Mods, especially the boat to DS, carriage ride, and family night entertainment with Yee Haa Bob. Also; no matter which resort you stay at POR or POFQ you are allowed to use all the amenities at both.
CBR; we are heading there for our 2nd trip in March, the least stayed at Mod for us, mainly because it took them so long to refurb and get queen beds:) If going swimming a BIG advantage, for a family with little one's, that CBR has over the other Mods is a zero entry area to their pool. I think the best themed pool area, especially if you like pirates. Cannot give you any more details since it has been years since we stayed there. I can tell you that we totally enjoyed our 1st stay there many years ago:)
CSR; Best pool slide and we like that the kids play area is located right by the pool. We like the location of the Cabanas but really like the feel and theme of Casitas. Not a fan of the Ranchero section. We like Cafe Rix's for their quick breakfast's to take back to our room, very fast. They do have a Spa and gym, we do not use them so not a plus for us. A point against CSR is that their the only Mod with a single sink:(
We really enjoyed walking around all the resorts and thought they were all wonderful looking, especially at night. I would checkout each resort DIS page, as well as allears and portorleans.org for more pics and info:) Have a great trip.
Thanks! That is a lot of really good information! I really like the idea of the boat ride to Disney Springs. I was originally dead set on POFQ, mainly because of it's walkable size but then I was talking to my dad and he was telling me how he likes the style of CBR so then I started thinking about some of the others. I also noticed that lots of times POFQ is left out of the discounts. It would be nice to get free dining or 25% off if it is offered for the fall.

I've stayed at both POFQ and CBR and we far preferred CBR.

Positives for CBR... Buses were never an issue (and very short ride times to EP and HS). Walking was never an issue (was a preferred room though). Pool area is amazing. Nice food court. Tremendous grounds and the overall feel of the resort is fantastic IMO, it is laid back and what vacation is supposed to feel like and when you come back from the parks it's just a pleasant experience. It was really a beautiful place to spend our week last April. Didn't really have any negatives at all with the exception of potentially bell services holding up our luggage for hours (could have been DME or other factors so that is pure speculation).

You cannot go wrong with any of them. I personally stayed at CBR and fell in love. I have family and friends who stayed at the other two and favor them.

I would actually suggest to AVOID the pirate rooms for the fact that they have DOUBLE BEDS!!! There are no queen beds here. Not very comfy for 3 people if you ask me. Girl or Boy, the Royal Rooms at POR would be nice if you want to add something extra. Otherwise, regular rooms are fine and quite pretty.

I love POR, such a beautiful resort. I love the boat to Disney Springs. Great little perk for sure. You can either eat at the POR restaurant OR take the boat to Dis.Springs and eat there. Lets not forget the family entertainment at the lounge, Yehaw Bob. I believe he's still there?

CSR is also very beautiful....yes its a conference resort but while there, i have not noticed any "suits" walking around nor have I experienced any annoyances. Actually this resort has the best bus service i've ever experienced in all of wdw. Never waited more than 5 min and I never had to stand. Not even after wishes @ MK! Imagine that!?

I do prefer CBR over CSR though. The vibe and feel of the resort itself is so pretty and tropical. Their rooms went through a recent refurb, so the rooms are pretty new. POR would still be my first choice though. And yes you can use the pool at POFQ if you wish.

I've stayed at POR with my kids when they were little and it was called Dixie Landings...the kids had a great time.
My husband and I have stayed at POFQ several times and thoroughly enjoyed it
Now having said that, Riverside is a good place for kids to hang out but it's a good drive or bus ride away from DW so parents might or might not like that depending on the ages of the kids. FQ is certainly more quiet and laid back that RS...more attuned to adults I think. Good luck in choosing...I don't think you can go wrong any way you go.

Thank you for all the good information! I think I will eliminate CBR and CSR because of the huge size and I don't want to pay for a preferred room. Also, I was looking at the menus and I like the food at the PO resorts better. Now to decide on which one.... between POFQ and POR which do you prefer? I like the Manor style rooms at POR, not so much the bayou. If you just want the standard room in one of the manors do you have to request it?

Since it's your first trip I recommend POR! Absolutely gorgeous and relaxing! And that boat ride to Disney Springs is amazing! We've stayed at both POR and POFQ and prefer the smaller size to the FQ, but we are Disney veterans. Your first trip to Disney and first stay at a Disney resort should take your breath away, that is why I 100% recommend POR! Plus, you can still visit POFQ which is just next door.

You do need to request the Manor rooms, unless you are paying for a Princess room (they are all located in the Mansions). During our stay at POR we needed to request adjoining rooms because we were such a large party, plus we put in requests for certain buildings so we decided that was enough and didn't ask for the Manor rooms. So, we were in the Bayou section. We loved it! The rooms are rustic but still very nice. Sometimes the biggest and BEST surprises are those things that you didn't give a lot of thought too. This was definitely one of those times :)

You do need to request the Manor rooms, unless you are paying for a Princess room (they are all located in the Mansions). During our stay at POR we needed to request adjoining rooms because we were such a large party, plus we put in requests for certain buildings so we decided that was enough and didn't ask for the Manor rooms. So, we were in the Bayou section. We loved it! The rooms are rustic but still very nice. Sometimes the biggest and BEST surprises are those things that you didn't give a lot of thought too. This was definitely one of those times :)
Perfect! So you stayed in the Bayou section and really liked it. Well, it would be nice if we had one of the rooms with the little Murphy bed...

Thank you for all the good information! I think I will eliminate CBR and CSR because of the huge size and I don't want to pay for a preferred room. Also, I was looking at the menus and I like the food at the PO resorts better. Now to decide on which one...
Just an FYI, POR is actually bigger than CSR. If size is a major consideration, go with FQ.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter